» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Joke/Riddle Books You Had As A Kid

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/16/06 at 7:02 pm

Back when we were in grade school, they had these flyers call "Weekly Readers", where you could order books and get them a few weeks later. Of course a good portion of these books were Joke and Riddles books, where I have personally gotten a bad fixation with puns and one-liners. Do you remember the joke books you had (also funny poems, parodies, limericks, etc.)? You can also discuss old humor magazines like Dynamite, Bananas, or if your really sick Mad and National Lampoon? ;)

Subject: Re: Joke/Riddle Books You Had As A Kid

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/06 at 7:17 pm

When I was a kid, they used to have tiny little joke books in those 5c Gumball machines.  It was very rare that you got one though

I had alot of those Schoolastic Joke books, one which I remember called "1001 Spooky Jokes"

I also had this awesome Video Game Joke book called "Blips".  There was a section in the book where they showcased failed Video Game attempts, one of which was called "Family Feud".  The idea was to blast rockets and missles at Richard Dawson before he could kiss members of your family ;D

Written By: saver on 06/18/06 at 11:48 pm

I still have a couple of those joke books from Scholastic sales..one has to do with puns I think or riddles
Had them since the 70's so maybe they are wanted by other collectors?

Written By: Tam on 08/08/06 at 1:25 pm

I still have the first joke book I bought and paid for myself.
Of course, I wasn't allowed to take it out of the house or even show my friends...

Truly Tasteless Jokes

And they were truly tasteless!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/06 at 1:29 pm

I still have the first joke book I bought and paid for myself.
Of course, I wasn't allowed to take it out of the house or even show my friends...

Truly Tasteless Jokes

And they were truly tasteless!!!!
...and you know where to post the jokes?

Written By: Mushroom on 08/09/06 at 4:49 pm

In the 1970's, there was a popular series of books that contained ethnic and off-color jokes.  They were actually sold in a 2-in-1 format.  One side would contain a title like "Polish Jokes".  You flipped the book over, and you saw another front cover with something like "Italian Jokes".  Larry Wilde was the editor of the series.

The series was very popular, and they made fun of everybody pretty equally.  They dedicated books to sick jokes, Polish, Italian, Irish, English, German, American, Jewish, Catholic, Christian, Jock, Doctors, Lawyers, Police, Military, Democrats, Republicans, Sex Maniacs, Virgins, Whites, Blacks, Golfers, Football, Baseball,  Cat Lovers, Dog Lovers, and just about every other group imagineable.

It was hard to take offense, since they skewered everybody pretty equally.  And a large number of jokes in each book came from comedians of the group in the title.  Mel Brooks gave them Jewish jokes, Richard Pryor gave them Black jokes, and various members of Monty Python donated English jokes.

I am sure that in these politically correct times, we will never see books like that again. 

Written By: Red Ant on 08/15/06 at 3:40 am

I can't remember the name of the book(s), but part of my 6th grade Prism class (don't ask) was solving riddles.

The "Choose Your Own Adventure" series of books, while not really falling into either category of the thread topic, were interesting none the less.

Early on, I acquired a few Bloom County (now "Outland", possibly defunct) cartoon books; they were very funny at the time.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/15/06 at 5:30 pm

"Bloom County" and Outland" are now just "Opus" (the penguin), which was what all of Berkley Breathed's strips were about anyway. It's just not as funny as it used to be.
Early on, I acquired a few Bloom County (now "Outland", possibly defunct) cartoon books; they were very funny at the time.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/16/06 at 11:34 pm

"Bloom County" and Outland" are now just "Opus" (the penguin), which was what all of Berkley Breathed's strips were about anyway. It's just not as funny as it used to be.

Ah, cool. I always had a fondness for Bill the Cat, who, until recently, was my avatar.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/16/06 at 11:40 pm

I still have a couple of those joke books from Scholastic sales..one has to do with puns I think or riddles
Had them since the 70's so maybe they are wanted by other collectors?

*sigh* Scholastic..i was just pining about the days at school when the famous box of books would arrive and my name would be called to go up and get mine..good times..even the memory of looking at the little flyer just brought a smile to my face..ok i digress..

Scholastic:

101 Hamburger Jokes

Chicken Jokes

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 2:03 am

101 Hamburger Jokes

OMG I had that same book ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/06 at 6:18 am

Whats blue and looks like a bucket?

- A blue bucket

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/15/06 at 7:33 am

8) Remember the Heckle and Jeckle joke books??? The crows??..At least I think thats what they were...I loved them...I guess it wasnt exactly a joke book but it was funny and very over the edge...Like the ACME explosives on all the old roadrunner cartoons...lol

Written By: nally on 09/17/06 at 1:08 pm

When I was little (up until I was 10), I received Highlights magazines...when I was 12 I gave them away. But before I did, I went through each and everyone of them and wrote down all the jokes/riddles so I could make my own joke book.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/17/06 at 7:48 pm

When I was little (up until I was 10), I received Highlights magazines...when I was 12 I gave them away. But before I did, I went through each and everyone of them and wrote down all the jokes/riddles so I could make my own joke book.
  8) I got Highlights as well..I loved the hidden items puzzle...My daughter gets it now..I STILL read them ;D

Written By: nally on 09/18/06 at 1:26 pm

8) I got Highlights as well..I loved the hidden items puzzle...My daughter gets it now..I STILL read them ;D

Hidden Pictures? Oh yes, I used to love those when I was little (during the 80's). I still read them in the doctor's office, and I'm still a fan of the "Jokes" and "Riddles" sections. :D

Written By: Paul on 09/19/06 at 2:32 pm

I had a copy of Bennett Cerf's Book Of Riddles in my younger days (not sure what happened to it!)

A choice one from memory...

Q. What's big, red and eats rocks?
A. A big, red rock-eater!

Yes, this was about as good as it got! (Actually, come to think of it, I may have binned the thing!)

Written By: nally on 09/19/06 at 11:43 pm

That seems rather self-explanatory to me. ::)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/22/06 at 10:05 pm

I had a copy of Bennett Cerf's Book Of Riddles in my younger days (not sure what happened to it!)

A choice one from memory...

Yes, this was about as good as it got! (Actually, come to think of it, I may have binned the thing!)
  ;D I remember that joke!!...I thought it was hilarious!...Little kids think anything is funny... ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/20/06 at 2:39 pm

I had that book as well.  And for those that have never seen this book, here is the cover, with the BRRE proudly displayed on the cover:

Check for new replies or respond here...