» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Film Versions of Musicals or Plays.

Written By: Gis on 08/10/06 at 11:37 am

What do you think? What are your favourites and which ones do you think should never have been made??

Subject: Re: Film Versions of Musicals or Plays.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/06 at 1:16 pm

I get kind of annoyed when they make films out of musicals because they basically rewrite the story. If Hollywood would just stick to the orginal script, it would be great.  I think the best ones are the ones that are filmed in the theatre. My favorite is Les Mis in Concert. If you haven't seen this, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/10/06 at 2:01 pm

In a way, I agree with Cat, in the sense that when translated into film, the production cease to have the "pull" that draws you intrinsically into it.
In theatres, it makes you feel like you are somehow in the story with the characters.
In spirit, you fell as if YOU are there.

On screen, however, it becomes just another show.

On the other hand, however, on screen, you get a slightly more 3-dimensional world, as opposed to "the Box feeling" that some people have, when they see a live theatrical production.

That being said, give me grease paint any day!

Written By: Gis on 08/11/06 at 8:59 am

On the other hand if it gives someone the taste for going to see a live production because they enjoyed the film so much......

I do agree with Cat though, if they have felt the need to rewrite then what is the point!

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/06 at 9:57 am

My favourite is Love's Labour's Lost, which was just a play, when Kenneth Brannagh turned it into a movie musical.  Shame it was a box office bomb :(

Chicago was good, but I've never seen the stage show, so I can't compare

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/06 at 10:29 am

Another good film version is Joesph and the Technocolor Dreamcoat-with Donny Osmond (watched it again last night  ;) ) I'm not a Donny Osmond fan by any means but he did an OUTSTANDING job in this film (not to mention that he was pretty buff and had his shirt off during most of it  ;) ) Maria Friedman (the Narrator) was just INCREDABLE!!! Another film that I HIGHLY recommend. I think part of the reason why this was very good film was the fact that it was produced by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber himself. He wasn't about to rewrite it.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 08/11/06 at 3:27 pm

Another good film version is Joesph and the Technocolor Dreamcoat-with Donny Osmond (watched it again last night  ;) ) I'm not a Donny Osmond fan by any means but he did an OUTSTANDING job in this film (not to mention that he was pretty buff and had his shirt off during most of it  ;) ) Maria Friedman (the Narrator) was just INCREDABLE!!! Another film that I HIGHLY recommend. I think part of the reason why this was very good film was the fact that it was produced by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber himself. He wasn't about to rewrite it.

Cat
Oh my god agreed!! I went to a show at the local theatre called 'Singalong a Joseph' (they do ones for the sound of music, rocky horror and more too) It was fantastic. You get a goody bag when you arrive and people dress up as characters from the movie. They show it on a big screen with the words at the bottom and you just sing along ! They teach you mad dances to go with the songs and you have various props in your bag that you can use as well. I came out completely hoarse. I just remember at the start where you seee the top of Donny's haed through the smoke we had to scream 'Sing Donny, Sing!' There was a competition for the best costume. I recall there was a hen night there who were all in cow print and had gone as the 7 fat cows. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/06 at 3:55 pm

Oh my god agreed!! I went to a show at the local theatre called 'Singalong a Joseph' (they do ones for the sound of music, rocky horror and more too) It was fantastic. You get a goody bag when you arrive and people dress up as characters from the movie. They show it on a big screen with the words at the bottom and you just sing along ! They teach you mad dances to go with the songs and you have various props in your bag that you can use as well. I came out completely hoarse. I just remember at the start where you seee the top of Donny's haed through the smoke we had to scream 'Sing Donny, Sing!' There was a competition for the best costume. I recall there was a hen night there who were all in cow print and had gone as the 7 fat cows. ;D

It sounds like they are turning Joseph into RHPS.  :D ;D ;D  Sounds like a lot of fun.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/11/06 at 4:00 pm

My sophomore year in HS, Skyfire did "Joseph", I was cast as Jacob, and the brother called Dan.

It was a fun show, but I was upset about one thing. Apparently the majority of female members in our group threatened to quit, if I was cast in any of the 3 roles I was gunning for:

Joseph
Potiphar
Pharaoh

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/06 at 4:10 pm

My sophomore year in HS, Skyfire did "Joseph", I was cast as Jacob, and the brother called Dan.

It was a fun show, but I was upset about one thing. Apparently the majority of female members in our group threatened to quit, if I was cast in any of the 3 roles I was gunning for:

Joseph
Potiphar
Pharaoh

Why was that?

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/11/06 at 4:17 pm

Why was that?

Cat

It seems that all the girls back then thought I was some sex-crazed, touchy-feely type of madman.
If there was a chance of me getting a role where there was even a REMOTE chance I had to touch someone (Heaven forbid!), they were all quitting.

I never saw it. True, I had a crush or two, but I was NEVER that bad!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/06 at 5:00 pm

It seems that all the girls back then thought I was some sex-crazed, touchy-feely type of madman.
If there was a chance of me getting a role where there was even a REMOTE chance I had to touch someone (Heaven forbid!), they were all quitting.

I never saw it. True, I had a crush or two, but I was NEVER that bad!

Sure, sure. We believe ya.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/11/06 at 7:55 pm

I loved Chicago, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger.  I have both DVDs (regular edition and the Razzle Dazzle edition) and I saw it in the theatres about 5 times before then.  My sister's vote is for Rent.  She has the DVD and watches it endlessly.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/12/06 at 2:38 pm

I'm one of the few who thought "Amadeus" was the pits. Overlong and not as raucous or funny as the play. Maybe that where it should have stayed. I also thought the movie "Grease" was overrated, only for my disdain for Travolta and Newton-John at that point. I saw the musical play after that and found it superior to the movie, with none of the hokey songs like "Hopelessly Devoted To You".

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/13/06 at 5:07 am

I enjoyed "Little Shop Of Horrors".
Rick Moranis was almost PERFECT as Seymour.

However, "Tommy"....that was ABYSMAL!

The only casting ideas I agreed with were:

Tina Turner- The Acid Queen
Robert Powell- Capt. Walker
The Who- The Preacher's Flock (the origianl character was "The Hawker")

Written By: CeeKay on 08/14/06 at 10:04 am

I like the film of West Side Story.  And I like Little Shop too.  (I've seen both of these live too and think the film versions work).

I tend to watch the movie Grease when it's on....but I much preferred the live version of that and it's soundtrack to the movie (yeah, I hate when they write a new song just to have a pop hit in a musical movie).

The Phantom movie too, I like it.  It's not exactly like the play, but you actually can understand more of the story ... I think they did a good job with that one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/06 at 1:51 pm

One of my all-time favorite movies is 1776. Carlos (who is not big on musicals) loves this one, too. If you haven't seen this one-I highly recommend it-BUT see the DVD (director's cut) of it. The song "Cool, Cool, Conciderate Men" was taken out of the theatrical release thanks to none other than Richard Nixon. That part of the film was supposed to have been destroyed but it wasn't. The director's cut put back that song along with about 30 minutes of footage (a line here, a line there, etc.) that was originally cut.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/14/06 at 5:01 pm

There was a little-known musical called "Cotton Patch Gospel", written by the late Harry Chapin.

I believe there is a film on this, isn't there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/06 at 5:12 pm

There was a little-known musical called "Cotton Patch Gospel", written by the late Harry Chapin.

I believe there is a film on this, isn't there?

I have never heard of it (shocker, a musical I have never heard of.  :o ). And I LOVE Harry Chapin.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/15/06 at 4:24 am

If you go to Sacramento's Broadway Academy, you'll find that "Cotton Patch Gospel" is performed there, on a fairly regular basis.

And if you DO go there, please say "Hello" to the head man, Dave MacDonald, for me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/16/06 at 8:40 pm

Fiddler On The Roof is one of my favorites. I love Topol and his conversations with God, & his interaction with his entire family & his daughters suitors. I've never seen a stage production but surely would if I had the chance. His classic song *If I Were A Rich Man* is a gem and now playing in my head  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 08/16/06 at 9:25 pm

Fiddler On The Roof is one of my favorites. I love Topol and his conversations with God, & his interaction with his entire family & his daughters suitors. I've never seen a stage production but surely would if I had the chance. His classic song *If I Were A Rich Man* is a gem and now playing in my head  :)

Oy Vey!  Of course -- Fiddler on the Roof!  Excellent!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/16/06 at 10:45 pm

Topol's version of Reb Tevye is certainly more well-known than Zero Mostel's.

Quick Trivia Note- For those who are familiar with actor/game show host Bert Convy, "Fiddler" was his first actual production, and what appears to be the springboard for his career (what there has been of it).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/16/06 at 10:49 pm

Oy Vey!  Of course -- Fiddler on the Roof!  Excellent!
thanks CeeKay, I've got an old VHS of it.

*South Pacific* has an good film version with My Favorite Martians Ray Walston and I recall this is probably the only musical I've been in. I was a sailor and we sang and did choreography to *There Ain't Nothing Like A Dame*  a fun song and a rarity to get me on stage.

Topol's version of Reb Tevye is certainly more well-known than Zero Mostel's.

Quick Trivia Note- For those who are familiar with actor/game show host Bert Convy, "Fiddler" was his first actual production, and what appears to be the springboard for his career (what there has been of it).
Bert Convy was in Fiddler? I know the guy who played Starsky was in it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/16/06 at 10:50 pm

Bert Convy was in Fiddler? I know the guy who played Starsky was in it.

Be3rt Convy was in the stage version. David Soul was in the film version.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/16/06 at 10:54 pm

Be3rt Convy was in the stage version. David Soul was in the film version.
Unfortunately, I've not seen any stage version  :( but I thought David Soul was the blond guy in Starsky & Hutch & The shorter dark haired detective was the one in the film version that is into revolution. No matter, it's good stuff Hawk.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/16/06 at 10:58 pm

Unfortunately, I've not seen any stage version  :( but I thought David Soul was the blond guy in Starsky & Hutch & The shorter dark haired detective was the one in the film version that is into revolution. No matter, it's good stuff Hawk.

The dark-haired one is Paul Michael Glaser.

I know his name, because he directed one of my favorite '80s flicks-
"Band Of the Hand".

The stage version of "Fiddler" originally had Zero Mostel (of "The Producers" fame- the Mel Brooks film w/Gene Wilder), starring as Tevye. He was funny, but I didn't care for his singing voice.

I understand his son, Josh Mostel, is breaking into acting, also.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/16/06 at 11:04 pm

"Band Of the Hand".

The stage version of "Fiddler" originally had Zero Mostel (of "The Producers" fame- the Mel Brooks film w/Gene Wilder), starring as Tevye. He was funny, but I didn't care for his singing voice.

thanks, thats his name.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/06 at 1:30 pm

"Band Of the Hand".

It was Paul Michael Glaser who played Perchick in the move.  I have a DVD of Lost Broadway Treasure and it has Zero singing "If I Were a Rich Man".

Another play/movie that Zero was in was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The movie was no where near as good as the play.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 4:11 am

It was Paul Michael Glaser who played Perchick in the move.  I have a DVD of Lost Broadway Treasure and it has Zero singing "If I Were a Rich Man".

Another play/movie that Zero was in was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The movie was no where near as good as the play.

Cat

I must agree with you there, although the last time "Funny Thing" was done, I understand Nathan Lane was the lead in that. With such a comic talent as that man, ANYTHING is bound to happen!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/06 at 6:09 pm

I must agree with you there, although the last time "Funny Thing" was done, I understand Nathan Lane was the lead in that. With such a comic talent as that man, ANYTHING is bound to happen!

Actually, Nathan Lane was replaced (at least for a short time-not too sure for how long) by none other than Whoopie Goldberg.  :o :o

We used to have two dogs by the names of Pseudolus and Hysterium. Most people would wonder about those names (except theatre people of course  ;) ) Yes, my mother was working on Forum when we got the dogs.  (A friend of one of my sisters used to call them Syphilis and Hysterectomy  ;D ;D) When my mother was working on Play it Again, Sam, Jack Gilford (who was the orginal Hysterium and played him in the movie, too), was in it. My mother told me (years later of course) that she had a "thing" with Jack. :o  Somehow I wonder how true that is. Not that I think my mother would lie, but she has a tendicy of remember things differently (a LONG story).

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/20/06 at 4:38 am

We used to have two dogs by the names of Pseudolus and Hysterium. Most people would wonder about those names (except theatre people of course  ;) ) Yes, my mother was working on Forum when we got the dogs.  (A friend of one of my sisters used to call them Syphilis and Hysterectomy  ;D ;D)
Cat

That is SOOOOO wrong.....

Written By: Anne Hedley on 08/23/06 at 10:13 am

What do you think? What are your favourites and which ones do you think should never have been made??

Hi my name is Anne and I new so forgive me if I get the topic wrong till I find my way around. :-\\
:-\\
I lode musicals and my favourite is Oklahoma which was made into a film about 1956 with Gordon MacCrea and Shirley Jones.  However, in 1998 my friends and I decided that we would go to the theatre as we had not been for a very long time and we went to see Oklahoma.  Well I knew I would enjoy this musical as it is so vibrant but nothing, absolutely nothing prepared me for the performance given by Hugh Jackman as Cruely.  It was outstanding and played to full houses thoughout on the London Stage.  His acting, singing and dancing was outstanding, and he wasnominated for the Lawrence Olivier Award which is the UK equal to the Tony Award.

He was very relaxed in the role and brought all the happiness, tensions emotions to the story and the character.  He is extra ordinarily handsome, personality and charisma and talent that reaches  right across the stage -  to you  - personally.    There is a DVD of this musical.    I wish they would make a DVD of The Boy from Oz where he won the hearts of Broadway and was awarded a Tony and the Fred Astaire for Dancing.

To my greatest surprise and delight the next time I saw Hugh Jackman he was playing the part of Wolverine in X Men  - wow that was once heck of a change in character and acting style.  He moves with ease from the live stage to the silver screen.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/23/06 at 4:56 pm

Next month I'm going to see the stage version of Amadeus -- I've only seen the movie.  Has anyone seen this on stage (sorry if you discussed this already but I don't have time to review the posts).  Thanks!  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/23/06 at 6:27 pm

CeeKay- Sorry, I cannot help you. I have only seen the film. I understand it's pretty close, though.

Anne- Welcome to the board! No worries on your post. It fits OK.

I understand there is a film of "The Who's Quadrophenia", and I would like to see it.
I have their live performance, with Billy Idol as "The Ace Face", and PJ Proby as "The Godfather".

Never having even seen the Who's version, I will be interested in finding out more about it.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/01/06 at 8:57 pm

The Phantom movie too, I like it.  It's not exactly like the play, but you actually can understand more of the story ... I think they did a good job with that one.

That is good to hear.  I had planned on seeing the movie, but I was able to see the stage production just prior to the movies release and was afraid to have the movie ruin it for me. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/06 at 11:40 pm

I liked

Chorus Line
Love Letters
Grease

I loved
Oliver
Little Shop Horrors
Brighton Beach Memoirs (and most any of Neil Simons' play turned movies)

Check for new replies or respond here...