» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Dreaded Opera Catagory

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/06 at 1:38 pm

Anyone like opera?

My knowledge of opera is very limited but I do LOVE Carman. With most opera, I actually prefer watching it on t.v. so I can read the subtitles.  ;)

Cat

Subject: Re: The Dreaded Opera Catagory

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 4:03 am

While I enjoy many operas (Puccini ranks high on my list), my undisputed favorite would have to be Rossini's "The Barber Of Seville".

(It MUST be good, to be used in Looney Toons!.....see "The Rabbit Of Seville")

Mozart's "The Magic Flute" was also fairly good.

If you are seeking good performers, I recommend the following:

Leontyne Price
Maria Callas (you can hear her voice on the soundtrack to "Philadelphia")
Mario Lanza (considered by some to be the Greatest tenor ever)
Luciano Pavarotti
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/06 at 5:58 pm

While I enjoy many operas (Puccini ranks high on my list), my undisputed favorite would have to be Rossini's "The Barber Of Seville".

Leontyne Price
Luciano Pavarotti
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo

Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit.  ;) :D ;D

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't seen too many-but would like to. Hubby doesn't like opera so I have see what they show on t.v. (which isn't very many).

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 6:03 pm

A good introductory one is "La Boheme".

Try that one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/06 at 6:11 pm

A good introductory one is "La Boheme".

Try that one.

That is one that I do want to see. I know the snopsis of it (and I also know that Rent was based on it-and have seen Rent).

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 6:27 pm

Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit.  ;) :D ;D

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't seen too many-but would like to. Hubby doesn't like opera so I have see what they show on t.v. (which isn't very many).
Cat

If all else fails, try actually sitting down with him, and watching Looney Toons, themed around Opera!

I recommend the following:

The Rabbit Of Seville
What's Opera, Doc?

(I know there's also one Daffy Duck is in, where he plays one of the 3 Musketeers (originally).)
He also plays Robin Hood, in one, where he sings, and (attempts to) steal from the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/19/06 at 11:07 am

I've only seen one Opera many years ago, The Student Prince.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/20/06 at 4:39 am

I have heard that, but I am unaware of how it actually sounds.

As for Malcolm McLaren, it doesn't surprise me. 8)

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 8:19 am

The Marriage of Figaro is brilliant.

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 8:19 am

Does Gilbert and Sullivan count??

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/06 at 11:50 am

Does Gilbert and Sullivan count??

I would say so. I do like the Pirates of Pinzance.

I was in Choir in my senior year of High School. Our "production" number was the finale to the Gondoliers. We all loved doing that number.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/31/06 at 5:06 pm

To quote Ray Stevens:

"I want to sing & dance, I want to sing & dance!
I want to be a pirate in "The Pirates Of Penzance"!
Wear me silver buckle slippers & me tight, shiny pants...
I want to sing & da-a-ance!"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/06 at 11:56 pm

If all else fails, try actually sitting down with him, and watching Looney Toons, themed around Opera!

I recommend the following:

The Rabbit Of Seville
What's Opera, Doc?

(I know there's also one Daffy Duck is in, where he plays one of the 3 Musketeers (originally).)
He also plays Robin Hood, in one, where he sings, and (attempts to) steal from the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Oh man...I LOVED those Bugs Bunny opera features.

I, myself, haven't much experience in viewing the genre, I've seen a couple on t.v., but didn't catch what they were (can't even remember the plot) not to mention not understand what they were singing about.  lol

But one song of Opera I love is Barcarolle by Offenbach.  Beautiful.

Written By: Anne Hedley on 09/02/06 at 3:41 pm

Anyone like opera?

My knowledge of opera is very limited but I do LOVE Carman. With most opera, I actually prefer watching it on t.v. so I can read the subtitles.  ;) 

Cat

I have not see a great deal of opera except a live performance of Carmen some years ago which I enjoyed very much,but in comparison to The Marriage of Figaro  is a more modern opera but the serious operas can be very satisfying watching on TV  but I do not care as much for the modern day operas. ::)

I really enjoy light Opera or commonly known as Musicals, like the wonderful 'Oklahoma' which I saw on the London stage with Hugh Jackman playing the lead Curley he was awesome, his multi talents of acting, a superb singing voice and dancing too.  He was nominated for the Lawrence Oliver Award which is equivalent to a Tony.    He took Broadway by storm with The Boy from Oz which I could not see because I live in the UK. Broadway took  him to their hearts and he was awarded a Tony and the Fred Astaire for Dancing and it would appear he will be filming a re-make of Carousel next year.  I am dying to see that already ::) :D :-*

I was on air for weeks he is so handsome, charismatic with a wonderful personality and sense of fun.  I was to learn shortly thereafter to my great amazement he was Wolverine in the X Men series, Swordfish, Someone Like You, Erskinville Kings, Van Helsing, Kate & Leopold and DVD of Oklahoma. ;)

Do go and see The Prestige Oct/November and particularly The Fountain early 2007
  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/06 at 3:50 pm

Do go and see The Prestige Oct/November and particularly The Fountain early 2007
  8)

Where? London? NYC? Either way, I'm afraid that they are both too far from me.  :\'(  Montreal or Boston are probably closer but even both of them are about 4 hours away.  :-\\  So, I'm stuck with local theatre (which can be pretty good).

Cat

Written By: Anne Hedley on 09/02/06 at 3:51 pm

Leontyne Price
Luciano Pavarotti
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo

I agree The Magic Flute and the Barber of Seville are good operas, not too heavy, but a goo story and music.

I agree with your performers with the exception of Mario Lanza who was not even close to the greatest tenor ever.  He had a terrible vibrato and his voice sounded forced.   I like Domingo but when push comes to shove I just loved
Pavarotti  -  his voice had so much depth, warmth and it just wrapped itself around you.

Did  you ever listen to the DVD that was made of Pavarotti, Dominfo and Carreras  - it was wonderful.   These three world wide Opera Singers also made two enormous shows together and  the interplay was fantastic.
::)

Written By: Anne Hedley on 09/02/06 at 4:00 pm

I've only seen one Opera many years ago, The Student Prince.

Well the Student Price I saw as a film with Mario Lanza and I believe Ann Blyth but unfortunately I have never rated Mario Lanza as a great singer when there are singers like Pavarotti, Cerras and Domingo. :o

Sorry about that  :-*

Written By: Anne Hedley on 09/02/06 at 4:07 pm

This is sort of opera related ... one of my favourite songs of the 80s is called "Madame Butterfly" by Malcolm McLaren, which is based off the Madama Butterfly opera, and even includes an opera chorus.  Fantastic song 8)

Yes I have seen this one too and everytime I see it I cry buckets of tears and break my heart  - it is so so sad  - but I love it

Written By: Anne Hedley on 09/02/06 at 4:11 pm

Where? London? NYC? Either way, I'm afraid that they are both too far from me.  :\'(  Montreal or Boston are probably closer but even both of them are about 4 hours away.  :-\\  So, I'm stuck with local theatre (which can be pretty good).

Cat

Both films star Hugh Jackman and I am sure they will be shown world wide.  All fingers crossed for great things particularly for  The Fountain.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/06 at 5:52 pm

Both films star Hugh Jackman and I am sure they will be shown world wide.  All fingers crossed for great things particularly for  The Fountain.

Oh film. I was thinking stage.  :-[  Oops. I'll check it out then.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/03/06 at 4:50 am

Did  you ever listen to the DVD that was made of Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras  - it was wonderful.   These three world wide Opera Singers also made two enormous shows together and  the interplay was fantastic.
::)

I used to own the 3 Tenors Concert they did in Italy, with Maestro Zubin Mehta.

In fact, that is how I learned to sing "Memory", from Cats.
I also enjoy Pavarotti's superb performance of "Nessun Dorma".

A few yrs. ago, I saw Pavarotti perform that piece on public TV, for UNICEF. Accompanying him was Michael Bolton. I was quite surprised!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/04/06 at 5:30 pm

They did this short Opera-ish intro to a video game back in 1999 for the game called Final Fantasy 6. 
I really liked it.
In case you wanted to watch it, here it is for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQQdX6A4fc

Written By: Bobo on 09/06/06 at 10:00 pm

I have a limited, but avid love for singing opera and have been, in the past, anything from a tenor to a lead male soprano (given 15 minutes notice and a crash-course in Italian pronunciation). On a whim, listening to the leading track from Vitorio Grigolo's album In The Hands Of Love, I bought it, learned the words and somewhat enjoy singing along to it now. Plus the best of the contemporary opera singers like to mix up the classical opera styles with pop styles.

Which I guess leads me to wonder whether contemporary popular singers branching out into the opera bracket is a good idea. I'm fairly undecided on the issue, but..

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/08/06 at 2:56 am

Well, if you look at it with more scrutiny, you'll find that there are several pop singers trained classically.

Pat Benatar and Michael Bolton are but 2 examples.

Check for new replies or respond here...