» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hugh Jackman to star in Carousel remake

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/06 at 1:50 pm

Hugh Jackman is set to star in a remake of 1956 musical Carousel.

Fox 2000 is looking to remake the movie with Jackman starring and co-producing, reports Variety.

A deal is being negotiated to use the original Rodgers and Hammerstein music and lyrics from the 1945 stage musical.

Jackman would play Billy Bigelow, a carnival barker whose temper puts him in the middle of a botched robbery and leads to his death. Stuck in purgatory, he's given one day to return and fix the problems he left behind - namely a teenager who has a lot of his rebellious traits.

Subject: Re: Hugh Jackman to star in Carousel remake

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 4:13 am

I believe I heard something about this...

Hugh Jackman is, or was, also starring in "Oklahoma!"
He did this one as little as 2 years ago, and I understand he was quite good....

(Although I think the critics were waiting to hear him call someone "Bub"....)

Written By: CeeKay on 08/24/06 at 9:21 am

I'm surprised to hear they're making a film of Carousel. 

I will also admit that I played the flute for what was definitely the worst staging of this musical that ever made it's way to a theater.  So it's hard for me to place it outside of that context.  ::)

Written By: KKay on 08/24/06 at 9:24 am

I'm surprised to hear they're making a film of Carousel. 

I will also admit that I played the flute for what was definitely the worst staging of this musical that ever made it's way to a theater.  So it's hard for me to place it outside of that context.   ::)

He looks like the original guy from the film. i think he'll be good. he was on the stage for a long time and I'm sure it will go over well.  Now- my question is who the neck wants to see a film of "Carousel"?  It's like remaking "State Fair".  Chicago is one thing, but the oldies are soemthing else.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/24/06 at 11:34 am

Frankly, there are 4 others I would rather see remade, perhaps with our favorite "Bub" in them:

Camelot (Hugh J. would make a wicked good Lancelot)
Cats (He already has the hair to do it- Maybe Growltiger, or Rum Tum Tugger?
Quadrophenia (Watched it for the 1st time, last night- Hugh would kick @$$ as The Ace Face)
Into The Woods (Somehow, I see him as Prince Charming...)

Written By: KKay on 08/24/06 at 12:48 pm

Frankly, there are 4 others I would rather see remade, perhaps with our favorite "Bub" in them:

Into The Woods (Somehow, I see him as Prince Charming...)

noooo.. the narrator.
he gets the great moment in the end...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/31/06 at 3:54 pm

noooo.. the narrator.
he gets the great moment in the end...

Nah, Prince Charming has, what I think is, one of the greatest lines ever to be put into a production:

"I was brought up to be charming, not sincere!"

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/07/06 at 3:21 am

He did this one as little as 2 years ago, and I understand he was quite good....

Its a wee bit more than 2 years ago that Hugh was in Oklahoma !! It was 98/99 !!!!!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/12/06 at 4:49 am

Its a wee bit more than 2 years ago that Hugh was in Oklahoma !! It was 98/99 !!!!!

That long?

Wow...how time flies!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/14/06 at 4:04 am

That long?

Wow...how time flies!

I was thinking that myself !!! Since then he has made 3 X-Men films, a bunch of romantic comedys and other films, spent a year on Broadway doing Boy From Oz, and just completed a 44 show run of 15000 crowd per show of Boy Fom Oz around Australia (I went to the final show of the production !!). Oh and adopted two kiddies. So he has been a busy lad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/06 at 9:20 am

I was thinking that myself !!! Since then he has made 3 X-Men films, a bunch of romantic comedys and other films, spent a year on Broadway doing Boy From Oz, and just completed a 44 show run of 15000 crowd per show of Boy Fom Oz around Australia (I went to the final show of the production !!). Oh and adopted two kiddies. So he has been a busy lad.
Last year he made one film with Woody Allen in London.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/14/06 at 10:17 am

Yep it gets released soon. He was saying in an interview when he was here in Perth the other week that he has no less than 4 films due out in the next few months - filmed over the last 2 years - and he joked that people may get sick of his face !!

Me dont think so !!  sigh  :-* :-* :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/06 at 5:17 pm

I saw it last night on Great Preformances (on PBS) is was OUTSTANDING!!! Not just him but the entire cast, the choragraphy, everything. One thing I really liked about it was that it was filmed on stage (which I believe it the RIGHT way to do it). I hope they show it again because I will be there ready to hit the "record" button.

Cat

Written By: Anne Hedley on 11/29/06 at 5:02 pm

I am lookingforward to another musical starring Hugh Jackman.   I was fortunate to see him on the London Stage in Oklahoma and it was spectacular   H is so fully of energy and his acting, singing and dance are top class.   Unfortunately I live the UK and was unable to see TBFO.

I believe that they have the rights for the musical now so it is a case of starting with the director and crew and cast.   I love it when Billy sings If I Loved you and particularly My Boy Bill - I know I am going to shed those tears again - but I will still be happy ? ? ? ::)

Written By: Anne Hedley on 11/29/06 at 5:11 pm

Hi  - I have been trying to add a signature or an avatar if you prefer but I must be having blank mind day and am unable to make it happen.

Anyone want to give me a lesson  :D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/02/06 at 4:17 am

I saw it last night on Great Preformances (on PBS) is was OUTSTANDING!!! Not just him but the entire cast, the choragraphy, everything. One thing I really liked about it was that it was filmed on stage (which I believe it the RIGHT way to do it). I hope they show it again because I will be there ready to hit the "record" button.

Cat

heya Cat

its been out on dvd for a while http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/229239 its the entire show plus some great behind the scenes extras and interviews.

Check for new replies or respond here...