» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Adult Harry Potter readers...

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/06 at 5:55 pm

OK, time to come clean. I have read all of the books and I can't wait to read the next (and final) installment.

Any other adults feel like coming out of the closet under the stairs? I know good and well that you're out there.

Subject: Re: Adult Harry Potter readers...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/06 at 6:04 pm

I LOVE them. When the Order of the Phenix came out, I sat down and read ALL of them again-starting from the first one. That way when I got to the last, I would remember who/what they were talking about. I told a few people I did that and they said, "Oh, I should have done that". When the last book came out, I was planning on doing that again but never got around to it (and we lent the first book to someone and haven't got it back yet). I STILL haven't read the last book yet.  :-[  So, when I turn off the computer in a few minutes, I am going to pull the book off the shelf and start reading it-hopefully, I will remember enough of the other books (since I read most of them more than once) that I won't be too lost.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 10/22/06 at 6:24 am

Absolutely love them too. I see nothing wrong whatsoever in enjoying a well written childrens book!

Written By: karen on 10/23/06 at 5:06 am

I am reading them to my daughter.  At the moment we are reading Goblet of Fire.  Since we generally only read 3 or 4 pages and occasionally my husband reads it instead I've gone back and started reading them to myself to refresh my memory and fill in any of the gaps.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/06 at 9:31 am

I love Harry Potter too, and I am not ashamed to admit it!  When they first came out, I resisted reading them because they were children's books, but when I finally gave in I was smitten.  I've read each of them several times.  They are fabulous! 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 12:37 am

I've read them all except the latest Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We have it, and my wife and daughter read it. I read the first 2 chapters, got sidetracked and did not go back. I'll read it soon. Love them all, the characters, the friendships, the rivalries, & Quidditch!!  it's quite enjoyable.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 3:29 pm

I've read them all except the latest Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. We have it, and my wife and daughter read it. I read the first 2 chapters, got sidetracked and did not go back. I'll read it soon. Love them all, the characters, the friendships, the rivalries, & Quidditch!!  it's quite enjoyable.

I'm in the middle of reading that one now (see my earlier post).

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 3:55 pm

I'm in the middle of reading that one now (see my earlier post).

Cat
ok, I see that now & it's making me read the latest one and when finished, start all over again with the first and go thru them again..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/06 at 1:19 pm

I think J.K. Rowling made a booboo in the Half Blood Prince. Slughorn says to Harry something about his friend RUPERT instead of Ron. Could Rowling be mixing up character & actor? Also, has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/15/06 at 9:21 am

I think J.K. Rowling made a booboo in the Half Blood Prince. Slughorn says to Harry something about his friend RUPERT instead of Ron. Could Rowling be mixing up character & actor? Also, has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Cat

I'll tell you when I read that bit!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/19/06 at 3:21 am

Cat
it sure sounds like it, unless there is a character named Rupert

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/06 at 12:30 pm

it sure sounds like it, unless there is a character named Rupert

Nope.

I found out that this was actually done purposely.

http://www.wizardnews.com/story.20050726.html

p. 485: "Had a house-elf taste every bottle after what happened to your poor friend Rupert."

We've received a number of e-mails suggesting that Ms. Rowling must have been thinking of Rupert Grint (who plays Ron in the films) here and thus accidentally substituted his name for Ron's. But truly this substitution is a deliberate choice on Ms. Rowling's part: She is underlining the fact that Professor Slughorn has never paid very much attention to Ron, to the point that he still gets Ron's name wrong even after Ron almost died in his rooms, and thus pointing up again Slughorn's particular taste for "the company of the famous, the successful, and the powerful," as Dumbledore says, over those who may be less flashy but are just as worthy, like Ron.

It was very clever of Rowlings to use the name Rupert instead of any other name.

Cat

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/28/06 at 6:13 pm

The wife and I have been readers from Day 1. It's a great series to read aloud, so we often trade off reading it to each other so we don't have to wait for the other person to finish a chapter!

Oh...here is a sensible prediction for anyone who's made it through book 6
....(spoiler below)

DUMBLEDORE IS NOT DEAD....

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/07/06 at 11:15 am

The wife and I have been readers from Day 1. It's a great series to read aloud, so we often trade off reading it to each other so we don't have to wait for the other person to finish a chapter!

Oh...here is a sensible prediction for anyone who's made it through book 6
....(spoiler below)

DUMBLEDORE IS NOT DEAD....

He can't be!  I was just so incredibly pissed when that happened.

I'm re-reading book 5 right now.  I was going to read the whole series again, but I've read the first 4 so many times I can recite the damn things.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 5:00 pm

Does anyone know when the next (last) book and the next movie are supposed to come out?

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/07/06 at 9:04 pm

Does anyone know when the next (last) book and the next movie are supposed to come out?

Cat
the movie Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix release date July 13th  2007  (by any chance is that a Friday)?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/08/06 at 11:04 am

Cat
Book #7: 07/07/07  Movie 07/13/07

Written By: karen on 12/08/06 at 11:13 am

the movie Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix release date July 13th  2007  (by any chance is that a Friday)?

Yes it is  :o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/08/06 at 11:33 am

Yes it is  :o
that' spooky  :o  & I can hardly wait

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/06 at 1:34 pm

I can't wait. I can't wait.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 12/14/06 at 9:50 am

I can't remember when they were filming at the library.....I believe it was last year now, this one is taking alot longer is seems. :-\\   

Written By: McDonald on 12/22/06 at 1:40 pm

The title has been officially announced for book 7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/22/06 at 2:00 pm

I thought there was no set date for the final book.  If that's the date, it'll make a happy birthday for me indeed.

Written By: Gis on 12/27/06 at 11:45 am

I thought there was no set date for the final book.  If that's the date, it'll make a happy birthday for me indeed.
Apparently the publishers have denied this date is genuine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/06 at 2:58 pm

Your birthday is 7/7? So is my youngest step-daughter (an easy date to remember).

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/28/06 at 12:10 pm

that' spooky  :o  & I can hardly wait

Not that spooky, here in the states, almost all movies are released on Friday. And thirteen has never given America any bad luck, count the stripes on our flag!

I really don't see how Dumbledore could still be alive, the murder curse is irreversible and almost unstoppable. I think if Harry ever wants to find guidance from Dumbledore again, he'll have to speak to his portait in McGonagall's office. That's reason enough for him to return to Hogwart's. Besides, I think only a wizard who knows as much as Dumbledore could ever vanquish a villian like You-Know-Who! And where else can he find the knowledge?

Just a prediction, I think McGonagall's already chosen Slughorn as the new head of Slytherin, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if she picked Hagrid to succeed her in leading Gryffindor. Shall we dicuss this further?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/06 at 3:28 pm

Not that spooky, here in the states, almost all movies are released on Friday. And thirteen has never given America any bad luck, count the stripes on our flag!

I really don't see how Dumbledore could still be alive, the murder curse is irreversible and almost unstoppable. I think if Harry ever wants to find guidance from Dumbledore again, he'll have to speak to his portait in McGonagall's office. That's reason enough for him to return to Hogwart's. Besides, I think only a wizard who knows as much as Dumbledore could ever vanquish a villian like You-Know-Who! And where else can he find the knowledge?

Just a prediction, I think McGonagall's already chosen Slughorn as the new head of Slytherin, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if she picked Hagrid to succeed her in leading Gryffindor. Shall we dicuss this further?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I have a feeling that Snape is not what he appears to be. Since the beginning, there had been some question as to where Snape's loyalty lies. Dumbledore has always said that he trust Snape with his life. It just seems to be a bit too convenient for Snape to have killed him. And when Snape stopped Harry from doing the "unthinkable", it seems that Snape was protecting him in a way. Of course we can all speculate but we all have to wait until next year to find out.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/28/06 at 3:48 pm

I have a feeling that Snape is not what he appears to be. Since the beginning, there had been some question as to where Snape's loyalty lies. Dumbledore has always said that he trust Snape with his life. It just seems to be a bit too convenient for Snape to have killed him. And when Snape stopped Harry from doing the "unthinkable", it seems that Snape was protecting him in a way. Of course we can all speculate but we all have to wait until next year to find out.

Cat

I have to agree that the death of Dumbledore appears to be fake.  Too much of a coincidence that Snape was the one to do it. I'm also assuming there's a reason Harry witnessed it, and that he was given hints that Snape was going to finish what Malfoy couldn't.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/28/06 at 5:41 pm

I believe that the reports of Dumbledore's death are highly exaggerated as well. A poster named "thugz" posted this at the Harry Potter Conpsiracy Theory Thread at the Amiright forum

"I think I know how Dumbledore survived Snapes Killing Curse. Remember when Moodie showed the class the Unforgiveable Curses in book 4? He said that they can all try and hit him with Avada Kedavra and that they wouldn't succeed in even letting his nose bleed. I think that Snape DID hit Dumbledore, but with a controlled curse, so that it would only look like he killed him. When Harry took the Horcrux from Dumbledores body, he saw a little bit of blood coming from his nose, right and he wiped it off with is sleeve? Thats just what I think could have happened, if he isn't really dead. ...

This all makes total sense, and I'm surprised no one else has latched onto this.

Written By: Gis on 12/29/06 at 12:58 pm

Apparently two major characters are definatly going to die in the last book and J.K has even hinted one of them may be Harry because she is sick of him!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/06 at 1:36 pm

Apparently two major characters are definatly going to die in the last book and J.K has even hinted one of them may be Harry because she is sick of him!  :o

That thought has crossed my mind. I know she wrote the last chapter to the last book BEFORE the first book was published. I saw an interview with her when she was talking it and saying something about "who will be left"-which I took to mean that a few characters were going to be killed off. I believe that "He who must not be named" HAS to vanquish. This is a story of good vs evil and good ALWAYS has to triumph.

Cat

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/29/06 at 3:40 pm

Then it would make sense that Voldemort would indeed be a "major character" to be killed off. Ooh, JK is a sneaky one! ;)

Written By: MLB on 12/29/06 at 4:16 pm

Read all of them out of the library  except the first I bought for a college course in youth literature and as you say, anxious to see the treatment they gave the book in the next movie and waiting for the last book.
  I thought it felt like a sad sort of way to leave the series after reading half blood prince not realizing she'd already written the final- final book.
The newscaster the other day commented someone had an interview with her and they said she announces on the program the name of the last installment...to which the co-anchor says, "it sounds rather creepy and ominous to me" and I was thinking wait! what's the title? or which program is she speakin on?  I Wasn't paying close attention to the advert. :-\\ So thanks for telling me the title.

Written By: Gis on 12/30/06 at 6:27 am

Well I did wonder if Harry has to die for Voldermort to die...........................

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/06 at 1:06 pm

Well I did wonder if Harry has to die for Voldermort to die...........................

Could be. They kind of balance each other out-the good vs evil thing. You can't have one without the other.

Cat

Written By: Zoso on 01/06/07 at 4:38 am

I don't think Harry will die. Everything that's happened in the Harry Potter series so far has been completely unexpected and that's why people love them. They are unpredictable. But Harry dying is so predictable and kind of expected. So I think that even if the original plan was to have Harry die in the end, Rowling with change this just because that's what everyone expects. Harry wont die.

I've heard some very interesting theories about what will happen in the last book. The most interesting involve time travel (like what Hermione did in Prisoner of Azkaban). There are two very interesting theories involving this concept. One is that the adult Harry Potter goes back in time to the time and place when and where his parents were murdered. Voldemort killls Lilly and Harry and everyone assumes it was Lilly and James who were killed. This means James is still alive and he finds Harry when he's 17-years-old and helps him defeat Voldemort. Another theory is that Dumbledore is actually Harry Potter when he's very old and he came back in time to help his younger self. I like the second theory better because it is stated a lot that the only wizard Voldemort fears is Dumbledore, and that's because Voldemort knows Dumbledore is actually Harry and Harry is the "boy who lived" and everything. I don't know how plausible these theories are, but they are rather interesting none the less.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/07 at 2:32 pm

I don't think Harry will die. Everything that's happened in the Harry Potter series so far has been completely unexpected and that's why people love them. They are unpredictable. But Harry dying is so predictable and kind of expected. So I think that even if the original plan was to have Harry die in the end, Rowling with change this just because that's what everyone expects. Harry wont die.

I've heard some very interesting theories about what will happen in the last book. The most interesting involve time travel (like what Hermione did in Prisoner of Azkaban). There are two very interesting theories involving this concept. One is that the adult Harry Potter goes back in time to the time and place when and where his parents were murdered. Voldemort killls Lilly and Harry and everyone assumes it was Lilly and James who were killed. This means James is still alive and he finds Harry when he's 17-years-old and helps him defeat Voldemort. Another theory is that Dumbledore is actually Harry Potter when he's very old and he came back in time to help his younger self. I like the second theory better because it is stated a lot that the only wizard Voldemort fears is Dumbledore, and that's because Voldemort knows Dumbledore is actually Harry and Harry is the "boy who lived" and everything. I don't know how plausible these theories are, but they are rather interesting none the less.

Hmmmm, very interesting indeed. Talk about food for thought.

Cat

Written By: miss_stardust on 01/27/07 at 6:04 pm

I love Harry Potter - actually I'm addicted to the books. I read all of tem at least once a year!

Written By: karen on 02/01/07 at 8:56 am

Book #7: 07/07/07   Movie 07/13/07

Just announced today that the new book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be released on 21 July

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6320733.stm

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/15/07 at 9:19 am

I love Harry Potter too, and I am not ashamed to admit it!  When they first came out, I resisted reading them because they were children's books, but when I finally gave in I was smitten.  I've read each of them several times.  They are fabulous! 

Ya, Steve kept on telling me to read them.  When I finally did, I was pleasantly surprised.  There is really nothing kiddie about The Order of the Phoenix.  My favorite in the series so far. 

I find it funny, I can go from reading Harry Potter, to the dark and bloody "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR. Martin.  LoL.  But im not ashamed. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/07 at 2:36 pm

This was in our local paper this morning.

Rowling pleads no one spoil final Potter book

May 15, 2007

By Hillel Italie Associated Press

NEW YORK — J.K. Rowling has a request for those with inside dirt on her seventh and final Harry Potter book: Please keep it to yourself.

"We're a little under three months away, now, and the first distant rumblings of the weirdness that usually precedes a Harry Potter publication can be heard on the horizon," Rowling wrote on her Web site Monday.

"I want the readers who have, in many instances, grown up with Harry, to embark on the last adventure they will share with him without knowing where they are they going."

The author's comments came in response to an April 28 editorial by a leading Potter fan site, http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org, which noted that it had been receiving "spoiler" e-mails — and expected many more — alleging advance knowledge of the book's contents.

Rowling has said two major characters will die in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," which comes out July 21. Although the Potter books are released under tight security, copies often are obtained before the publication date.

"If Harry dies, we don't want to know about it until J.K. Rowling decides to tell us," Leaky Cauldron webmaster Melissa Anelli wrote. "And if you decide to tell us before that, you'll incur the wrath of a staff of almost 200, most of whom have been waiting almost 10 years for these final revelations and can NEVER get back the moment you rob by spoiling them.

"That's some wrath right there. We own pitchforks, hot wax and feathers. And we're not afraid to use them."

On Monday, Rowling seconded the fan site's plea.

"Some, perhaps, will read this and take the view that all publicity is good publicity, that spoilers are part of hype, and that I am trying to protect sales rather than my readership," Rowling wrote on http://www.jkrowling.com. "However, spoilers won't stop people buying the book, they never have - all it will do is diminish their pleasure in the book."

More than 300 million copies have sold of the previous six Potter books. "Deathly Hallows" has more than 1 million pre-orders on Amazon.com alone.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...