» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: VH1 Through The Years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/07 at 5:47 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say VH1 had 5 phases.

1. In the beginning, it was actually an alternative to the edgier, more rockish MTV. I think they played almost exclusively soft rock, R&B and other lighter pop music.

2. When I first watched it during the 1990/'91-1993 period, it still had elements of the early era (people made jokes about it being "the Michael Bolton channel", lol), but had expanded a bit. They pretty much played videos around the clock. I'd describe it as similar in style to actual 1980s MTV, just without any rap or heavy metal. There were some non-music shows, like standup comedy or movie documentaries.

3. I didn't watch it for a few more years after this, but from what I know, in the mid '90s, they still played alot of music, although they were starting to shift to a youthful audience with less AC and more current stuff. There were more non-music shows, as well as Pop Up Video and the beginning of Behind the Music.

4. 1998-2001 was the BTM era. Kinda similar to the above, but with less videos and had abandoned the classic, older stuff.

5. From 2002+, it's been basically copying MTV and going the reality show route (i.e. Hogan Knows Best/Flavor of Love/I Love ). The only music videos shown are during the late night/early morning, and only very current stuff.

Subject: Re: VH1 Through The Years.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/28/07 at 2:35 pm

Well written!    :)

I don't have a strong opinion to agree or disagree; VH1 is a channel I've only watched sparingly.  But what you've written looks feasible.  Thanks for the info.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/28/07 at 9:53 pm

Thats it in a nutshell.  Luckily, they did add VH1 Classics which does still airs all music related programming.  Ill enjoy that channel now until they screw it up like all the other "music" channels that have come before.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/29/07 at 11:23 am

I've always been a fan of VH1.  I used to love Pop Up Video religiously - I wish it was still on!  I also liked Behind the Music.  I don't like Hogan Knows Best or Flavor of Love, but I'll admit to being sucked in by The Surreal Life.  I think my favorite shows they do are I Love the 80's, I Love the 90's etc.  Those are great! 

Written By: nally on 01/29/07 at 11:28 am

I used to love Pop Up Video religiously - I wish it was still on! 

Me too...it was always interesting to see all kinds of tidbits and facts about the artists and the things in the video and all that..... :)

I've seen PUV on the VH1 Classic channel recently...but those are all old episodes from back in the 90's...mostly 80s/90s music videos.

Written By: woops on 01/29/07 at 4:06 pm

I enjoyed the "History of Music Video A to Z", "The Big 80's", "Before they were Rock Stars", "Pop Up Video", etc.  8)

Now, mostly "I Love the __s" and some of their lists

Though by the time I get VH1 Classic, they'll be showing videos from Britney Spears & Korn ::)  :P

Written By: nally on 01/29/07 at 4:26 pm

I've seen a few of those...but not the whole thing though. Was interesting to see the various pop culture aspects of the various decades.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 6:47 pm

I think my favorite shows they do are I Love the 80's, I Love the 90's etc.  Those are great! 

yes...those shows ROCK!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 1:23 am

Vh1 Classic, people.  Watch that.  It's the Vh1 you love without all the sh*t you hate.  Great documentaries/programming, classic videos and concerts.....good times.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/30/07 at 9:34 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say VH1 had 5 phases.

1. In the beginning, it was actually an alternative to the edgier, more rockish MTV. I think they played almost exclusively soft rock, R&B and other lighter pop music.

2. When I first watched it during the 1990/'91-1993 period, it still had elements of the early era (people made jokes about it being "the Michael Bolton channel", lol), but had expanded a bit. They pretty much played videos around the clock. I'd describe it as similar in style to actual 1980s MTV, just without any rap or heavy metal. There were some non-music shows, like standup comedy or movie documentaries.

3. I didn't watch it for a few more years after this, but from what I know, in the mid '90s, they still played alot of music, although they were starting to shift to a youthful audience with less AC and more current stuff. There were more non-music shows, as well as Pop Up Video and the beginning of Behind the Music.

4. 1998-2001 was the BTM era. Kinda similar to the above, but with less videos and had abandoned the classic, older stuff.

5. From 2002+, it's been basically copying MTV and going the reality show route (i.e. Hogan Knows Best/Flavor of Love/I Love ). The only music videos shown are during the late night/early morning, and only very current stuff.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've never watched VH1 much through the years, but from what I've heard that sounds right. I know that from the early '00s on(when reality shows started to take off) they really jumped on that bandwagon big time. Now the only show I ever watch on there are the I Love The... shows.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/30/07 at 10:34 am

Vh1 Classic, people.  Watch that.  It's the Vh1 you love without all the sh*t you hate.  Great documentaries/programming, classic videos and concerts.....good times.

Oh I watch that one too.  Good stuff.  I love the "Classic Album" series where they tell you the story behind some of the best albums ever made.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/30/07 at 10:52 am

Hard to believe now, but Don Imus used to be a VH-1 VJ, back around 1984-85. Every time I saw him, he looked completely and utterly bored to be there.  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/30/07 at 11:41 am

Oh I watch that one too.  Good stuff.  I love the "Classic Album" series where they tell you the story behind some of the best albums ever made.

I watch VH1 Classic now and then too. It has Pop Up Video, which I enjoy.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/30/07 at 2:57 pm

I still remember when they still had dj's on VH1. I can't remember all of their names but I recall Rosie O'Donnell was one of them. I think she actually was a bit thinner with long curly hair. I didn't care for her back then.

I miss Pop Up Video and The Big 80s. But sadly, it's gone the way of MTV.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/30/07 at 3:37 pm

They have "We Are the 80's" on VH1 Classic - it's great!  :)

Written By: woops on 01/30/07 at 6:33 pm

I collect music videos on DVD and video as an alternative  8) :D

Toon Disney is already in the toilet, which I don't know if one channel is worth getting digital cable...  :P

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/30/07 at 6:54 pm

D= I love that channel, but we don't get it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/30/07 at 10:49 pm

Well written!    :)

I don't have a strong opinion to agree or disagree; VH1 is a channel I've only watched sparingly.  But what you've written looks feasible.  Thanks for the info.

Thanks. :)

I enjoyed the "History of Music Video A to Z", "The Big 80's", "Before they were Rock Stars", "Pop Up Video", etc.  8)

Though by the time I get VH1 Classic, they'll be showing videos from Britney Spears & Korn ::)  :P

I forgot some of them, but I think that was the core of mid '90s VH1 (in the times I wasn't really watching it anymore - I got so OD'd on it in the circa 1991 period, lol).

I still remember when they still had dj's on VH1. I can't remember all of their names but I recall Rosie O'Donnell was one of them. I think she actually was a bit thinner with long curly hair. I didn't care for her back then.

Was this in the early, early days?

Like I said, the first time I ever tuned into it was the end of 1990, and there weren't any on-air VJ personalities. But, Rosie O'Donnell did still make regular appearences as well as hosting her Standup Spotlight comedy special. There was also this announcer dude who did most of the promos.

P.S. If anybody remembers, this was when they had the blocky, clear, see-through logo. For reference, here's a YouTube clip of Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" music video (this guy posted quite a few other videos he must've recorded off VH1 around then too): 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEHeY0aBFj4

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 11:59 pm

I collect music videos on DVD and video as an alternative  8) :D

Toon Disney is already in the toilet, which I don't know if one channel is worth getting digital cable...  :P

You should get it because it's better than the alternative.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/31/07 at 6:04 pm

I forgot some of them, but I think that was the core of mid '90s VH1 (in the times I wasn't really watching it anymore - I got so OD'd on it in the circa 1991 period, lol).

Was this in the early, early days?

Like I said, the first time I ever tuned into it was the end of 1990, and there weren't any on-air VJ personalities. But, Rosie O'Donnell did still make regular appearences as well as hosting her Standup Spotlight comedy special.

I also remember Bobby Rivers, the smooth black guy who now hosts a lot of Food Network stuff.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/05/07 at 12:18 am

I also remember Bobby Rivers, the smooth black guy who now hosts a lot of Food Network stuff.

Don't remember him, but it might ring a bell if I saw him. I'm guessing that was in the strictly AC video days. By the Winter of 1990, it was probably, like 80% videos mixed with the other 20% being about half music-related programming and half other shows.

Did the VJ's basically sit in the studio and announce/discuss videos the way the MTV veejays like Alan Hunted did?

Written By: Dukefan on 02/05/07 at 1:37 am

Yea, but the funny thing is, even VH1 Classic has been altered quite a bit from its original incarnation.  Upon launch it was nothing but music videos (early MTV) without commercials.  Now the channel has started to edge in "Movies that Rock" (or whatever they call them) plus some retrospect shows and documentaries.

Also, they use to show some stuff from the late 60s/early 70s, now they've dropped those years in favor of early 90s.

Written By: tv on 02/05/07 at 1:59 am

I used to watch VH 1 in the early 00's when I started to get fed up with MTV. VH1 stinks ever since MTV bought it I think. I mean I don;t want to hear about Celebrity Gossip all the time and Celebrity;s  lives all the time. I can go and read People Magazine for that. I sometimes will watch VH1 classic when they have an 80's or 90's music video's on. I don;t need documentries on VH1 classic just show video's.

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/05/07 at 2:03 pm

. I sometimes will watch VH1 classic when they have an 80's or 90's music video's on. I don;t need documentries on VH1 classic just show video's.

Hear, hear.  8)

Too many concerts and documentaries nowadays, especially from washed-up 80s icons trying to revive their careers. :(

Written By: nally on 02/06/07 at 4:32 pm

Yea, but the funny thing is, even VH1 Classic has been altered quite a bit from its original incarnation.  Upon launch it was nothing but music videos (early MTV) without commercials.  Now the channel has started to edge in "Movies that Rock" (or whatever they call them) plus some retrospect shows and documentaries.

Also, they use to show some stuff from the late 60s/early 70s, now they've dropped those years in favor of early 90s.

Seems like they are getting more and more modern... I just hope they don't someday become like VH1 is now...altho I'm not holding my breath

Written By: woops on 01/01/09 at 5:33 pm

Current VH1 Classic somewhat reminds me of '90's VH1, though with more variety and most videos shown in ther entirity rather than edited like on "The Big 80s". Also  documentries, "Pop Up Video", and music related films.

The only setback is that they tend to overplay videos and also only a few selected videos from various artists are played. I know Dokken had more videos than "Dream Warriors" & "Into The Fire" and U2 also had music videos for other songs that came before & after "Joshua Tree"...  ::)

I still collect music video compilations on DVD & tapes.

Slightly off topic, but Boomerang reminds me of '90's Cartoon Network.

On Very Horrible One, I sometimes would watch an "I Love __" special or whatever cheesy music countdown they have.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/01/09 at 9:09 pm

The only thing I like about VH1 these days are the "I Love the 70's" and "I Love the 80's" series.

To think I once watched VH1 almost as frequently as MTV (early to mid 90's).  :(

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/04/09 at 1:39 pm

I used to like almost everything on VH1; I even like the countdowns and nostalgia shows. BUT now they are almost exclusively reality TV shows that are just as trashy and, well, trivial as MTV's.

... So aside from CMT, us basic cable people no longer have a music channel to watch.

Check for new replies or respond here...