» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Rise & Downfall of MTV

Written By: woops on 01/28/07 at 5:41 pm

should've posted this a few months ago, but what the hey... (posted on another board  though)

August 1st, 2006 marked the  25th year of a once great network called "MTV", when the "M" stood for "Music" not "Moronic".

http://www.hvrsd.k12.nj.us/timberlane/home/student/MaxH/mtv.gif

From from mediocre "MTV 20" music video DVD set, "On August 1, 1981, at 12 midnight, music history was made! Although it didn't seem like it at the time, the launch of MTV, the world's first 24 hour music channel, not only revolutionized the music business, but also transformed film, fashion, and television around the world. Not bad for a cable channel that started with a mere 8 hours of programming, no advertisers, and a very few supporters"

(The 1980's: Music Television)

August 1, 1981: On 12:01 AM, MTV debuts. The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" is the first video to air on the network. Pat Benatar "You Better Run" was the second...

The original VJs: Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, and the late JJ Jackson.

March 1, 1982: The "I Want My MTV" campaign begins. MTV merchandises goes on sale later in the year.

March 31. 1983: MTV airs Michael Jackson's "Beat It" & "Billie Jean" videos after being critized of not showing videos from African American artists.

September 14, 1984: The Video Music Awards made it's debut with hosts Dan Ackroyd & Bette Midler. The Cars' "You Might Think" won video of the year.

July 13, 1985: MTV presents a 17 hour coverage of Live Aid.

May of 1986: Downtown Julie Brown becomes first new VJ in 5 years, a month later Nina Blackwood & JJ Jackson leaves the network

"120 Minutes" (1986 to ? on MTV/cancelled around 2003 on MTV2) debuts later in 1986 that  aired alternative music videos from artists, most weren't mainstream.

1987: MTV expands their programming with music related shows with "Club MTV" (1987 to 1992), "Week In Rock" (1987 to 1998), and the game show "Remote Control" (1987 to 1990) that launched the careers of Adam Sandler & Dennis Leary. Reruns of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" & "The Monkees" are also shown.

"Head Bangers Ball" (1987 to 1994 on MTV/2003 to present on MTV2) also debut, which aired heavy metal/hard rock music videos.

August 6, 1988: "Yo! MTV Raps" (1988 to 1995) debut, which the genre becomes more mainstream years to come, hosted by Ed Lover and Dr. Dre (not the rapper) and Fab 5 Freddy

1989: Fashion based show "House of Style" (1989 to mid 1990's) hosted by Cindy Crawford debuts... though wasn't as bad compared to a certain show that would air a few years later also more non music related shows will follow in the nest decade

"MTV Unplugged" (1989 to ?) debuts later that year, which feature bands performing acoustic versions of their hits. Inspired from a VMA performance from Bon Jovi.

(Early/Mid '90's: Media Television)

1990: Madonna's "Justify My Love" music video gets banned. Though not the first, but probably the most infamous video to be banned from MTV.

1991: MTV debuts "Liquid Television" (early '90s), which featured animated shorts and introduced Aeon Flux and the nachos munchin' duo Beavis & Butt-Head. Wasn't music related, but "Adult Swim" wasn't around and animation was still considered "kids stuff" despite the wide appeal of "The Simpsons" (Fox) and "Ren & Stimpy" (Nickelodeon).

1992: MTV debuts "The Real World" (1992 to present), which is one of the first "reality" shows... Unfortunately this drek is still on the air, which "reality" tv became popular in the 2000's and the network hardly ever airs music videos.

1993: "Beavis & Butt-Head" (1993 to 1997), created by Mike Judge, gets their own show and also were also music videos answer to "MST3K".

Some time in the mid 1990's: MTV airing less and less videos...

...jump a couple years since there's nothing worth mentioning...

(1997 to present: Moronic Television)

1997: "Daria" (1997 to 2000) debuts, which is a spinoff of "Beavis & Butt-Head".

1998: "TRL" (1998 to present) debuts with dull host Carson Daly, which only air a minute of a music video with yelling teenyboppers interrupting the clip. MTV hardly airs any videos in their entirity.

I also started watching more VH1, which will later go downhill in a few years.

Sock puppet duo "Sifl & Olly" (1998/2000) debut and the third season was never shown  >:( ...though could've been better on Comedy Central. Music videos aired during the dusk, the last time I checked they aired "Punk'd" about three years ago. Music videos are now rarely shown in the network...

2000: A vast cesspool of reality shows, spoiled rich teenagers,  and idiots doing dumb stunts...  ::)

Subject: Re: The Rise & Downfall of MTV

Written By: dance4fun on 02/02/07 at 9:51 am

MTV Sucks now, I used to watch this channel faithfully back in the 80s and early to mid 90s when it was a good music show.  If you asked me VH! has gone downhill, too. :(

Written By: Step-chan on 02/02/07 at 5:40 pm

I agree... I'm glad I don't have cable.

I don't know why they didn't air Sifl and Olly's third season(I didn't even know about that until now), I thought it was a pretty funny show.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/03/07 at 2:54 pm

The following is one of my favorite video clips.  I first saw it about 8 years ago, and it still explains exactly what happened to MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5LbZbYoiY

Written By: Step-chan on 02/05/07 at 6:28 pm

The following is one of my favorite video clips.  I first saw it about 8 years ago, and it still explains exactly what happened to MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5LbZbYoiY

Very good.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/06/07 at 12:41 pm

Very good.

It really shows what has happened also.

"The MTV that you used to know was tossed out the window."

I think they need to really change the name.  It is no longer "Music Television", but "Moronic Television".

Written By: Step-chan on 02/11/07 at 2:34 pm

It really shows what has happened also.

"The MTV that you used to know was tossed out the window."

I think they need to really change the name.  It is no longer "Music Television", but "Moronic Television".

True that.

Check for new replies or respond here...