» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bar Band Songs -- No Freebird, Please!

Written By: Tia on 02/03/07 at 5:18 pm

i wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in PPP but i think it's probably okay here. what are some songs you've always wanted to see a bar band play? what are some songs where you're tickled when you see a bar band play them? what are some songs you've seen bar bands do that you DIDn't like? it could be songs from any decade but recent ones are preferable.

i'm curious in general but also specifically because we're trying to speed up the process of choosing and learning new songs in my band and everyone has to make suggestions -- but i listen to c-span and npr all day! i totally don't listen to commercial radio because the commercials drive me up the wall. so i don't really know much about recent 90s and 2000s music and what sort of stuff people like.

and by "people" i mean, drunks.

anyway, this is our current song list.

http://doubledogdare.com/SongList.aspx

make some suggestions! if i get a good suggestion and the band likes it then you can have the satisfaction of knowing somewhere, some night, some band at some sleazy pool hall will be playing your song.

Subject: Re: Bar Band Songs -- No Freebird, Please!

Written By: loki 13 on 02/03/07 at 7:57 pm

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but when I go see bar bands I ask if their
repertoire contained:

Rape Me...Nirvana

The Riches...Jane's Addiction

Warriors Code or Green Fields Of France...Dropkick Murphys

So far only two bands were able to fill my request.

Written By: Tia on 02/03/07 at 10:01 pm

thanks loki. i was being too wordy, i think. but yeah, that's pretty much it -- just what do you think would be a good addition to a bar band setlist, or what songs you've always wanted to hear a band do.

i love nirvana, we were talking about doing a nirvana song. and i've heard the name dropkick murphys but i don't think i've ever heard one of their songs. thanks, i'll check it out on rhapsody.

anyone else?

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/04/07 at 1:00 am

Man, I haven't been on a bar run in a long time. It's been about 20 years or so since it was a regular habit of mine. Back then, the bands around here played mostly top 40 music, Bad To The Bone, Hurt's So Good, Footloose,etc..., songs of that nature. It got kinda brutal to the ears when the band got drunk along with the crowd throughout the evening, but the people usually reacted as they just got admitted to a freakin' Rolling Stones concert most of the time. My advice to any aspiring cover band on the bar circuit is if you are gonna attempt to sing a Kenny Loggins song, don't be drunk. Almost every tipsy band I've heard try to sing Footloose always sent me running out the door. Really brutal to the ears.

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/04/07 at 11:30 am

Some songs i like to hear on bars, they work wonderfully with a drunk crowd ;)

Shout - Otis Day And The Knights

Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction

Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes

1979 - The Smashing Pumpkins

Hard To Handle - Black Crowes

Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

Need You Tonight - INXS

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper(maybe's better to get a female singer to do this one  :-\\)

I Love Rock And Roll - Joan Jett

Song 2 - Blur

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/07 at 4:43 pm

When I think bar rock, the first song that springs to mind is ...

Another Man's Gun - Ray Lyell and the Storm (youtube video)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/07 at 4:56 pm

Every bar band needs a cool down song when things get too rowdy.  Take a listen to Soul Serenade by King Curtis(that is if you have a Sax) Even if you don't have a sax it is one of the best sax songs on record.

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 5:04 pm

listening to the another man's gun song, that's a cool tune. will people know it, d'ya think? i'd never heard of it, but then again that happens to me a lot.

that's totally the sort of thing we do, though.

i remember suggesting some tunes for kicking back, i went with "your body is a wonderland" by john mayer -- amazing song, but i got mocked. :-[

unfortunately, we don't have a sax, but a lot of times you can just do those lines on guitar an they sound okay. different, but okay.

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 5:17 pm

song 2! they used to do that song before i joined. we've forgotten about it for an entire year. thanks for reminding me, sugah!

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/07 at 7:10 pm

listening to the another man's gun song, that's a cool tune. will people know it, d'ya think? i'd never heard of it, but then again that happens to me a lot.

Probably not.  It was only released in Australia and Canada.  But some of the best bar band songs are the ones that no one recognizes, that way people can't say thigns like "Oh well that's a good song, but it's not as good as the original artist" lol

Check for new replies or respond here...