» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Teen Magazines

Written By: ADH13 on 02/24/07 at 1:13 am

What teen magazines were popular when you were in your teens?

I can remember Teen Beat, Seventeen, Young Miss (which later became YM) and I think there was one called Bop.

I know there were more, but I can't think of them.... by the way, in my day Kirk Cameron and Alyssa Milano were the most frequently found "pin-ups". ::)

Subject: Re: Teen Magazines

Written By: spaceace on 02/24/07 at 1:16 am

16 magazine.  Couldn't really stand Teen Beat.  Young Miss every once in a while.

I think I still have some of my pin-ups of the "Corey's" somewhere.

Cool website . . . http://www.mediaman.com.au/profiles/teen_idols.html

Written By: gemini on 02/24/07 at 7:39 am

Tiger Beat and 16 were really popular in the 60s and 70s. That's why my wall was covered with David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman the Jackson 5 and of course Donny Osmond  :P  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/07 at 12:32 pm

^Yes, I read Tiger Beat when I was young too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/25/07 at 12:35 pm

^ Tiger Beat was the first one that came to my mind, ` I used to read my cousin's teen magazines when younger, and sometimes even now, I'll check one out just to be updated with what kind of teen heartthrobs are popular. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/25/07 at 12:44 pm

Basically those that were already mentioned were popular. Also, Right On! for black teens.

Written By: gemini on 02/27/07 at 12:24 pm

I found these two that I don't remember, Flip and Fave. Check out those heart throbs!  :D

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rfk975/flip1.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rfk975/fave1.jpg

Written By: karen on 02/27/07 at 12:27 pm

Jackie was the one I read most often.

I also remember getting some older magazines from the girl next door.  I can't recall the exact title but it was Fab and then some numbers I think.

Also Smash Hits

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/27/07 at 12:30 pm

My older sister read Bop and Teen Beat, but I don't ever remember seeing them when I was a teenager.  I read Seventeen, YM and Sassy.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 12:31 pm

bananas!

Written By: karen on 02/27/07 at 12:37 pm

bananas!

Is that what you're smoking!

Ash's post reminded me of another magazine I used to read called Just Seventeen

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 12:40 pm

naw, that doesn't work.

there was bananas, dynamite, and what was the other one? they were for different age groups, bananas was the oldest and then dynamite was the next one down.

Written By: gemini on 02/27/07 at 12:43 pm

naw, that doesn't work.

there was bananas, dynamite, and what was the other one? they were for different age groups, bananas was the oldest and then dynamite was the next one down.

I don't remember either of them, but I just found another one called POPular TEEN. I never knew there were so many.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 12:46 pm

from wikipedia...

"Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is an American book publishing company known for publishing educational materials for schools, teachers, and parents, and selling and distributing them by mail order and via book clubs and book fairs. It also has the exclusive United States publishing rights to the Harry Potter book series.

In the 1970s, Scholastic Press was well-known mainly through their Scholastic Book Club, a mail-order service dealing in children's books, and their magazine publications aimed at youths: Wow (preschoolers and elementary schoolers), Dynamite (pre-teens) and Bananas (teens)."

i used to love em, i'm pretty sure "Dynamite!" had an exclamation point. it doesn't get much more 70s than that.

Written By: gemini on 02/27/07 at 12:53 pm

from wikipedia...

"Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is an American book publishing company known for publishing educational materials for schools, teachers, and parents, and selling and distributing them by mail order and via book clubs and book fairs. It also has the exclusive United States publishing rights to the Harry Potter book series.

In the 1970s, Scholastic Press was well-known mainly through their Scholastic Book Club, a mail-order service dealing in children's books, and their magazine publications aimed at youths: Wow (preschoolers and elementary schoolers), Dynamite (pre-teens) and Bananas (teens)."

i used to love em, i'm pretty sure "Dynamite!" had an exclamation point. it doesn't get much more 70s than that.

That's interesting. I remember ordering books from school through Scholastic. Ohhhh, what about Highlights! I loved that, even though it wasn't really a teen magazine. Goofus and Gallant  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 12:56 pm

That's interesting. I remember ordering books from school through Scholastic. Ohhhh, what about Highlights! I loved that, even though it wasn't really a teen magazine. Goofus and Gallant  ;D

Oh...I loved ordering books through there too! We would get those paper thin handouts that had a few dozen books and other activities and such for sale.....I would come home and my mom would allow me to choose 1 or 2 items per order form.  Oh, btw...I LOVED Highlights! My mom had a subscription for me, and I plan to get one for Vaughn once he can read.

Written By: gemini on 02/27/07 at 12:58 pm

Oh...I loved ordering books through there too! We would get those paper thin handouts that had a few dozen books and other activities and such for sale.....I would come home and my mom would allow me to choose 1 or 2 items per order form.  Oh, btw...I LOVED Highlights! My mom had a subscription for me, and I plan to get one for Vaughn once he can read.

I think Highlights is still around. Man, they've been around forever. I always loved doing the game in it where you had to search for things in the picture. And the Scholastic book club was awesome! I got tons of books from there through my school years.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 1:11 pm

I think Highlights is still around. Man, they've been around forever. I always loved doing the game in it where you had to search for things in the picture. And the Scholastic book club was awesome! I got tons of books from there through my school years.

Yes, Highlights is still alive and kicking. I got a postcard from them not too long ago (ask if I wanted membership)....I am going to wait until Vaughn's a bit older though (and can enjoy them more).  It is such a fun magazine!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/27/07 at 1:29 pm

I loved them both too! 

Written By: Snoopygirl on 02/28/07 at 4:27 pm

The ones that I remember:

Teen Beat
Tiger Beat
Bop
Bananas
Dynamite
Young Miss
Seventeen
Young n Lovin Teen
Co-Ed Magazine

I would love to go a flea market and find a whole boxfull of these magazines. Just to look thru them and see all the hearthrobs that we were gushing over back then :)

Written By: woops on 02/28/07 at 7:04 pm

Ashley Tisdale's "Life Story" was priced at 10 bucks  :o

Rolling Stone turned into a teen mag when Britney appeared on the cover in 1999  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 7:25 pm

Ashley Tisdale's "Life Story" was priced at 10 bucks  :o

Rolling Stone turned into a teen mag when Britney appeared on the cover in 1999  ::)

Rolling Stone puts musicians and other such people on their cover.  Do you think she was the first teen star to appear on the cover?

Written By: woops on 02/28/07 at 7:32 pm

No

Though as a teenager I thought she was  :P

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/07 at 10:38 pm

When I was in my early teens there was this magazine called "Stickers" for sticker collectors.  It was cool because in the back there was a pen pal listing, it was so fun to write to them and get letters in the mail!

Check for new replies or respond here...