» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: reveiws ruin it for people

Written By: mr crowly on 03/04/07 at 3:47 pm

its true i mean i bought brian pillmans dvd on saturday i was looking forward to watching  it the matches ive never seen befor i went to read a reveiw on it most of the matches they i didnt rate highly that kinda ruind it has any one  eles find this

Subject: Re: reveiws ruin it for people

Written By: Davester on 03/04/07 at 4:10 pm

I find the negative reviews more helpful when considering a blind purchase, DVD from amazon, for instance...

Also, I do better by picking movies based on print reviews.  Even the guys with the Thumbs aren't trustworthy anymore.  I can't figure out what their criteria are for liking a movie, but they are wildly inconsistent by my standards...

Rave reviews I tend not to trust, anymore.  Maybe the flick really is that good, but it's kinda like asking member woops to recommend a good pop album.  I've gone wrong with more blind purchases based on positive reviews than with lukewarm to negative reviews...

Dunno why, just kinda works out that way... 

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/07 at 4:40 pm

Usually, if the critics love it, that means the movie sucks ass lol

I remember when 'The Island' came out in 2005, I thought it looked really good, but lots of reviews I read about it, some critics panned it cause they thought it was terrible.  I still went ahead and bought it without ever seeing it, and it turned out to be the best movie I saw that year

I never really care what the critics have to say, but the odd time I will watch "Ebert & Roeper at the Movies" but only because they show clips of upcoming movies

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/04/07 at 8:01 pm

I think reviews are helpful - but I always take them with a grain of salt.  When I look at a review, I look for specific comments revealing something unique to me as opposed to something general, like "wow it's really great".  Although if there are a whole lot of "it's really great" comments occurring with high frequency, it suggests to me that a many buyers are happy with it.  Negative reviews also help, but only when they are specific enough to know what's wrong.

I write reviews myself sometimes...  ::)

(One thing about me and my reviews: usually if I feel so-so about a product, I won't bother writing a review.  That is unless I feel I can reveal something helpful.)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/04/07 at 8:06 pm

I think reviews are helpful - but I always take them with a grain of salt.  When I look at a review, I look for specific comments revealing something unique to me as opposed to something general, like "wow it's really great".  Although if there are a whole lot of "it's really great" comments occurring with high frequency, it suggests to me that a many buyers are happy with it.  Negative reviews also help, but only when they are specific enough to know what's wrong.

I write reviews myself sometimes...  ::)

(One thing about me and my reviews: usually if I feel so-so about a product, I won't bother writing a review.  That is unless I feel I can reveal something helpful.)

I agree completely with this. The reviews that I find helpful aren't the ones that just say "this is awesome" or "ewww this sucks" but rather the ones that give a rating and then explain it. I've been steered away from one or two bad purchases thanks to those, and also been turned on to some that otherwise would've gone unnoticed by me for similar reasons.

Check for new replies or respond here...