» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Block Parent Program

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 10:26 am

I remember when I was younger and I would ride my bike around the neighborhood, I would occasionally see a sign in a neighbor's window, that said, "Block Parent". Do you guys remember this program?  I guess, these houses were deemed safe houses for children to go in case of an emergency, etc.  I wonder, how easy it would be to become a block parent? I mean, could any person be in this program? Could you imagine how many crazies it could potentially attract? :o  I tried looking it up online to get some info, and I was surprised to see that it seems like it is mainly a Canadian thing...I didn't really find any US websites regarding this program.

Subject: Re: Block Parent Program

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/07 at 11:41 am

I remember the Block Parent Program.  Several houses in my area used to do this, and had the signs in their windows that looked like this ...

http://www.mackenzie-taekwondo.com/_borders/Block_Parent_Logo.gif

I too always wondered how one would become a block parent.  Generally the ones in my area were nice ladies, except for my neighbour.  She was mean, and was such a big mouth that when she would open her door, and call for her kids, you could hear her atleast 20 blocks away.  lol

Edit:  Apparently the houses were pre-screened by Police to be deemed whether it was safe or not

Subject: Re: Block Parent Program

Written By: karen on 03/22/07 at 6:45 am

I'm sure I remember someone here saying they were part of this programme (or something similar)  I think it was Don Carlos

Check for new replies or respond here...