» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Live Aid (Where Were You July 13th, 1985..?)

Written By: Davester on 03/21/07 at 8:50 pm

I'm 15 y/o, it's summer vacation.  I had just finished delivering my morning paper route, came back home, fixed a bowl of cereal (S'mores Crunch, I think...), turned on the TV and tuned-in to MTV.  I caught the beginning of Live Aid and would tune-in, off and on, throughout the day...

Just got the DVD today.  Wow..!  Currently watching the Beach Boys perform "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  I've never seen a band look more comfortable onstage than these guys.  They make it look easy...

Subject: Re: Live Aid (Where Were You July 13th, 1985..?)

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/07 at 9:33 pm

I was 7 years old, so chances are I was outside playing.  I know where I was during Live 8 though.  Watched a bit of that on TV lol

Written By: Davester on 03/21/07 at 9:59 pm

I've only recently heard of "Live 8"...

What the heck is it..?

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 12:49 am

So far, the concert set is kick azz..!

Some highlights are the Thompson Twins' rendition of the Beatles "Revolution".  I forgot the TTs could do music like that...

Eric Clapton performing "White Room".  Most excellent...

Elton John and Kiki Dee performing a tight "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"...

Just when you don't think it can't get any better, it does..!

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 1:29 am

I've only recently heard of "Live 8"...

What the heck is it..?

It was the sequel (i guess you could call it) to Live Aid that aired all day on July 2, 2005.  It was broadcast Live around the world from the Group of Eight States and South Africa.  It was organized by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/22/07 at 1:59 am

Where was I?  I was 3. 

Written By: karen on 03/22/07 at 6:13 am

I was working in Woolworths when it started.  The record department had the radio playing that day.  I finished work at 1.00 p.m. then headed home for lunch.  We watched pretty much all of the show.  The only thing I can remember doing is taking a picture of the TV screen at the end of The Cars "Drive" video

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/07 at 6:32 am

I was in a friend's back garden listening to it on the radio, and was followed by a dash home, across London to watch the rest on television.

Queen were sensational, and a work colleague of mine was there.

Written By: Paul on 03/22/07 at 8:22 am

Some highlights are the Thompson Twins' rendition of the Beatles "Revolution".  I forgot the TTs could do music like that...

Eric Clapton performing "White Room".  Most excellent...

Elton John and Kiki Dee performing a tight "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"...

Just when you don't think it can't get any better, it does..!

Oh, there's plenty of 'lowlights' too!

I'm not sure whether the DVD would include the delights of Adam Ant, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones all sending us off to sleep...

Thank God Queen came along to save the day...wiped the floor with the lot of 'em!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/07 at 8:25 am

I'm not sure whether the DVD would include the delights of Adam Ant, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones all sending us off to sleep...

Thank God Queen came along to save the day...wiped the floor with the lot of 'em!
Of course, Status Quo kicked everything off with Rockin' All Over the World.

Written By: Paul on 03/22/07 at 8:33 am

Of course, Status Quo kicked everything off with Rockin' All Over the World.

If you really want to be 'picky', the Coldstream Guards appeared before the Quo!

I only know that because I sneaked a peek at the DVD contents...

...and sadly Adam Ant, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones are included! Shame!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/07 at 8:34 am

If you really want to be 'picky', the Coldstream Guards appeared before the Quo!

I only know that because I sneaked a peek at the DVD contents...

...and sadly Adam Ant, Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones are included! Shame!
Having not watched the beginning, and not viewing the DVD, I did know know that till moments ago.

Written By: robby76 on 03/22/07 at 8:38 am

Ha ha I bought the dvd FOR Nik Kershaw!  ;D (well not primarily)

I was 9 years old. We went round to our neighbours house and watched it in their lounge. When they showed the kids in Africa all the womenfolk were crying and I remember feeling a bit awkward being the only one not.

Written By: Tia on 03/22/07 at 8:47 am

daaaag. i'm so old. i was in high school, i totally got high while listening to live aid. anyone remember "power station"? they were this huge flash in the pan phenomenon, i totally remember them playing live aid with their song from, i believe it was the breakfast club. and now they're totally where-are-they-now.

i remember that and i remember the led zeppelin reunion, and that they sucked. i'd been waiting for LZ to get back together for years and they whizzed it down their legs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/22/07 at 8:52 am

Watching it on TV.

I got the DVD awhile back, and it's really good.

Written By: woops on 03/22/07 at 1:36 pm

I also own the DVD  8)

I was a baby  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/22/07 at 1:45 pm

I was 7 years old, so chances are I was outside playing.  I know where I was during Live 8 though.  Watched a bit of that on TV lol

I was 7 too, and I'm pretty sure I was outside playing in my kiddie pool.  :)

Written By: nally on 03/22/07 at 3:20 pm

Where was I? Probably at home. I had just turned 5 a couple days beforehand, so this was probably the day we had my 5th birthday party (which I do have some recollections of). It was the last birthday party which my maternal grandfather could attend; he was ill with cancer and he would die a month and a half later. :\'(

Written By: gemini on 03/22/07 at 4:00 pm

I was 24, and we were at home catching bits and pieces of it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/22/07 at 4:31 pm

I was 19 years old and one month away from starting college...

I watched the event (at least everything they showed on TV) and recorded it (though the tape has been gone for years!  :()...

...and I even bought the book (which I still have)!  :D

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/07 at 4:35 pm

Where was I? I was there -- at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. It had to be the hottest day of the year.
My brother, wife and I arrived at the Stadium early in the morning and we didn't miss an act. The
Hooters opened the U.S. side of the concert, though they are not mentioned in the credits for even
being there. Tickets for the show cost a whopping $35.

There were some surprisingly good acts on the stage that day, Run DMC was excellent. Some reunions of
sorts happened that day as well. Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath are listed separately in the program but
they took the stage together, as did Page and Plant.

I watch the DVD now and then and point out to the kids were I sat. I say, "see, there I am." but of course
all you can see is a sea of people.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/22/07 at 4:37 pm

^ I enjoyed seeing Robert Plant and Jimmy Page play together again.  :)

Written By: Paul on 03/22/07 at 4:59 pm

^ I enjoyed seeing Robert Plant and Jimmy Page play together again.  :)

You and countless millions of others may have done, young Karen...but Page & Plant didn't...

They reckoned their performance was so sub-standard, that they arranged to have it pulled from the DVD!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/22/07 at 5:04 pm

You and countless millions of others may have done, young Karen...but Page & Plant didn't...

They reckoned their performance was so sub-standard, that they arranged to have it pulled from the DVD!

What a shame... :(

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 6:48 pm

Well, I didn't pretend to enjoy Adam Ant's number (although Adam Ant is generally good to go).  And I'd be lying if I said Nik Kershaw's performance was the best on the set (although I really like "Wouldn't It Be Good")...

Howard Jones, I ain't got to, yet, but I don't expect great things from him.  He's just, you know, Howard Jones... :P

I agree, Queen is pretty gosh darned good, dag nabbit..! groove ;) on... 

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 8:34 pm

I was working in Woolworths when it started.  The record department had the radio playing that day.  I finished work at 1.00 p.m. then headed home for lunch.  We watched pretty much all of the show.  The only thing I can remember doing is taking a picture of the TV screen at the end of The Cars "Drive" video

Why the piccy of the screen..? 

The Cars.  What can I say about 'em..?  It was cool watching Benjamin Orr and the guys in action...

Like old friends...

Written By: KKay on 03/22/07 at 8:50 pm

wow. i was in college.  i remember how excited everyone was. i never watched it- never saw it. i don't remember it at all.
wow.

what was i doing?

Written By: Satish on 03/22/07 at 8:57 pm

This topic has been done before on these boards:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11049.msg500382

Here's what I wrote back then about my memories from that era:

...I was in kindergarten, and my school had this big assembly where the teachers told everyone about how the people in Ethiopia were starving, and how we had to do something to help. Then, this band from outside the school came on stage and sang "We Are the World". They had all these microphones and speakers set up for their performance, so it really resounded through the hall. It was the only time I can remember that the school had audio equipment set up like that for anything. I was just 5 years old at the time, but I can still remember hearing that song that day.

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 9:09 pm

wow. i was in college.  i remember how excited everyone was. i never watched it- never saw it. i don't remember it at all.
wow.

what was i doing?

Lots of buzz preceeded the concerts, to be sure.  Lemme find a link for you that I thought was pretty cool.  It's MTV wrapping-up the show for the television audience...

God, I loved S'mores Crunch...

It was the sequel (i guess you could call it) to Live Aid that aired all day on July 2, 2005.  It was broadcast Live around the world from the Group of Eight States and South Africa.  It was organized by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure

2005?  Sure have my finger on the pulse, don't I..?

What's this other charity concert I'm hearing about.  Something to do with providing much needed ice to the penguins..?

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 9:43 pm

This topic has been done before on these boards:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11049.msg500382

Dude, pretty much every topic has been done before on these boards...

'Sides, mine's longer than yours... :P

Written By: Tia on 03/22/07 at 11:14 pm

has anyone ever started a thread about how often people inadvertently duplicate threads?

lord knows i've done it a time or two.

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 11:49 pm

has anyone ever started a thread about how often people inadvertently duplicate threads?

lord knows i've done it a time or two.

Been done before...

Sorry, man...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11049.msgduplicatethreadsw00t

Written By: Tia on 03/22/07 at 11:50 pm

Been done before...

Sorry, man...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=11049.msgduplicatethreadsw00t
naw, but i mean a thread about duplicate threads!

Written By: Tia on 03/22/07 at 11:54 pm

you know, like this.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=26049.msg1257482#msg1257482

okay, i'm a dork. i know. :-[

Written By: Davester on 03/22/07 at 11:59 pm

naw, but i mean a thread about duplicate threads!

Wow, that was weird...

I created a link to a fake thread, clicked on it, and all of a sudden, bam!, everything went black and I found myself flying through this long, dark tunnel.  A voice beckoned me to fly towards the light, but I couldn't see it...

Then I saw my entire life flash before my eyes, in minute detail...

All I remember is waking up, disoriented and nauseous, in a ditch by the side of the road.  It was dark.  I had these strange crescent-shaped bruises all over me and my knees were scraped...

Scary...

Written By: Tia on 03/23/07 at 12:02 am

Wow, that was weird...

I created a link to a fake thread, clicked on it, and all of a sudden, bam!, everything went black and I found myself flying through this long, dark tunnel.  A voice beckoned me to fly towards the light, but I couldn't see it...

Then I saw my entire life flash before my eyes, in minute detail...

All I remember is waking up, disoriented and nauseous, in a ditch by the side of the road.  It was dark.  I had these strange crescent-shaped bruises all over me and my knees were scraped...

Scary...
dude that totally happened to me last year! i already started a thread about it.

Written By: Davester on 03/23/07 at 12:04 am

dude that totally happened to me last year! i already started a thread about it.

I hate it when that happens...

Makes for good threads, though...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/23/07 at 3:23 am

I don't recall where i was, but I remember not being familiar with Bob Geldof and trying to figure out who this guy was and how did I not know someone who had the influence to get all these phenomenal acts together. I had heard the song "I Don't Like Monday's and had heard of the Boomtown rats, but wasn't interested in them and yet had this feeling that Bob was a sort of Rock Royalty since he was able to organize this truly wonderful event with memorable performances. The DVD is very high on my wish list right now and "it will be mine, oh yes. It will be mine"

Written By: karen on 03/23/07 at 7:30 am

Why the piccy of the screen..? 

The Cars.  What can I say about 'em..?  It was cool watching Benjamin Orr and the guys in action...

Like old friends...

do you remember the video they used?  Perhaps it was only used in the UK.  It was a serious of images from the original news report that started the whole Band Aid thing off and it ended with a mother picking up her dead child.  :\'(  It just struck me at the time.

Written By: Paul on 03/23/07 at 7:43 am

do you remember the video they used?  Perhaps it was only used in the UK.  It was a serious of images from the original news report that started the whole Band Aid thing off and it ended with a mother picking up her dead child.  :\'(  It just struck me at the time.

I don't think that video will ever be forgotten!

It was slotted in after Bowie's set...the original intention was to have him and Mick Jagger doing a live rendition of 'Dancing In The Street'...

Trouble was, Ol' Rubber Lips was in the US and due to the delay in the broadcast, they couldn't get their synchronisation right, so they put this item in its place...

...which certainly made a lot of people sit up and think...

Written By: karen on 03/23/07 at 7:48 am

I don't think that video will ever be forgotten!

I still remember it anyways

It was slotted in after Bowie's set...the original intention was to have him and Mick Jagger doing a live rendition of 'Dancing In The Street'...

Trouble was, Ol' Rubber Lips was in the US and due to the delay in the broadcast, they couldn't get their synchronisation right, so they put this item in its place...

...which certainly made a lot of people sit up and think...

Instead Bowie and Jagger did the video which is excellent.  I prefer their version of Dancing in the Street to the original and the video just adds to it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/23/07 at 6:11 pm

Instead Bowie and Jagger did the video which is excellent.  I prefer their version of Dancing in the Street to the original and the video just adds to it.

I, too, prefer their version of that song... :)

Written By: Davester on 03/23/07 at 7:58 pm

Yeah, I watched that the other night.  It's on the DVD...

The set includes a BBC News report on the plight of those refugees with a look at its cause and circumstances.  That must be the report you're talking about...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/07 at 9:22 pm

At home watching it on the tube.  You were supposed to feel sorry for the Ethiopians or something.  I felt sorry for Howard Jones because the audience didn't know the lyrics for "No one is to Blame," so his little call-and-response thing flopped!
:D

Written By: Davester on 03/23/07 at 10:08 pm

At home watching it on the tube.  You were supposed to feel sorry for the Ethiopians or something.  I felt sorry for Howard Jones because the audience didn't know the lyrics for "No one is to Blame," so his little call-and-response thing flopped!
:D

"No One is to Blame"..?  I'm having difficulty imagining a sea of pumping fists while Howard goes crowd surfing...

I kinda feel bad when that happens, too.  I noticed it a few times on the disc.  Ozzy Osbourne and Rob Halford had minimal success trying to get the crowd involved...

Maybe after six or ten hours at an outdoor concert I'd be more preoccupied with finding my way to the parking lot... :D

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/07 at 10:33 pm

It's hard to believe that of all the members on this board I am the only one who attended the concert.

I remember the day well, it was ungodly hot. 98+ degrees and humid outside JFK Stadium, imagine what is was
like inside. By the end of the afternoon I was dipping my t-shirt in the ice water in my cooler as were most of the
people sitting around us.

It was interesting to watch how the roadies handled the set changes. After an act, and while the huge tv screens
showed the British side of the show, the roadies would rotate the stage setting up for the next set. So while a band
was on one side of the stage performing, the roadies were on the other side setting up for the next act.

During a lull in the action, after Kenny Loggins set, they awarded Loggins with the Harry Chapin Humanitarian award.
A group of kids behind us yelled out "Who the hell is Harry Chapin?" I thought that was kind of humorous.

A little known fact about Live Aid is, it just wasn't in England and the U.S.. In mid afternoon they showed a feed from
Russia, it was a band by the name of Autograph, and as I recall they weren't all that good.

Written By: Davester on 03/23/07 at 10:58 pm

It's hard to believe that of all the members on this board I am the only one who attended the concert.

I remember the day well, it was ungodly hot. 98+ degrees and humid outside JFK Stadium, imagine what is was
like inside. By the end of the afternoon I was dipping my t-shirt in the ice water in my cooler as were most of the

It was interesting to watch how the roadies handled the set changes. After an act, and while the huge tv screens
showed the British side of the show, the roadies would rotate the stage setting up for the next set. So while a band
was on one side of the stage performing, the roadies were on the other side setting up for the next act.

During a lull in the action, after Kenny Loggins set, they awarded Loggins with the Harry Chapin Humanitarian award.
A group of kids behind us yelled out "Who the hell is Harry Chapin?" I thought that was kind of humorous.

A little known fact about Live Aid is, it just wasn't in England and the U.S.. In mid afternoon they showed a feed from
Russia, it was a band by the name of Autograph, and as I recall they weren't all that good.

Sorry man, I was going to comment on that yesterday...

Were you lucky enough to be standing near those firemen spraying everyone with hoses..?  Front-center looked to be getting the most water...

My first thought was - cattle in a pen, LOL..!

typo...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/24/07 at 8:14 am

I think its cool that you were there !

And it wasnt just the UK and US and Russia - heaps of countries did live telecasts that day and clips were shown all over the world from each of the concerts.
The Australian one was call Oz for Africa and out of all the great bands that played that day - the INXS performance was shown across the world.

Where was I? I was 17 and - I was at home all day and all night watching every second of the Aus show and the main Live Aid show. I taped every minuscule second of it all on about 7 video tapes and still watch it to this day. I probably have all the stuff that was edited out of the DVD so I wont bother buying it !

This site has info and piccies of each of the bands from the Oz one. Great flashbacks.
http://liveaid.free.fr/pages/ozforafrika-uk.html

Written By: loki 13 on 03/24/07 at 10:07 am

Were you lucky enough to be standing near those firemen spraying everyone with hoses..?  Front-center looked to be getting the most water...

My first thought was - cattle in a pen, LOL..!

The firemen were up by the stage and they had a sprinkler system hooked up about midfield, I didn't go near either.
I sat in the stands on the right side, looking from the stage. there were too many people on the field and it was too
hot. I wasn't going near there.

I think its cool that you were there !

And it wasnt just the UK and US and Russia - heaps of countries did live telecasts that day and clips were shown all over the world from each of the concerts.
The Australian one was call Oz for Africa and out of all the great bands that played that day - the INXS performance was shown across the world.

I forgot about the other shows around the world, thing is, at the show not all the acts were shown on the screen. They focused
mainly on the British and U.S. shows.

A little anecdote about the day there: JFK had some pretty seedy restrooms and very few woman's rooms. The men's room
didn't have urinals, they had what resembled a horse trough stuck to the wall. Men just sidled up and did their business. As I was
standing there, going, two girls approached and asked if I minded if they used the trough. "I don't mind at all," was my reponse.
Sure enough, both girls yanked down their pants and sat on the trough. The highlight of my Live Aid expierence. Those two girls
opened the flood gates, after that women outnumbered the men in the men's room. One guy complained, I think he got beat up. ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/24/07 at 6:41 pm

haha, as a Philly native and 9 year old, I saw it on Channel 6 and heard it on the radio simulcast when my mom and I had to pick up my dad from work later that evening!!

Check for new replies or respond here...