» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Worst place for a guitar solo or cymbal crash!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/31/07 at 11:32 am

Over the years when I listen to music I've thought, "What was the producer thinking allowing that
guitar solo to be played there, it just doesn't sound good." here are a few examples;

Dancing In The Streets...Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen is an excellent guitarist, over rated, but excellent none the less.
                                                  About three quarters of the way through the song he takes off on a solo that just
                                                  fit the song. it is the same solo he plays in all his songs and this solo makes a bad
                                                  song sound worse.

La Grange...ZZ Top: Again about three quarters of the way through the song you here a grating guitar solo. this solo
                            is just flat out annoying. I'd rather listen to fingersnails on a chalkboard than that solo.

Keep On Rocking Me Baby...Steve Miller: The drummer at the beginning of this song uses a China Cymbal, the worst
                                                        use of a China Cymbal I've ever heard. First off, the cymbal is screwed down
                                                        too tight, it has no ring or sustain. It sounds more like he is hitting metal
                                                        siding than a cymbal. Maybe he should listen to Nick Mason on Pink Floyd's
                                                        comfortably Numb and learn where and how to use a China Cymbal.

Instant Karma...John Lennon: What the hell is the drummer thinking in this song? during the song he flies off on an
                                          "around the kit fill." It doesn't fit the song, it is out of time and context for the song
                                          It sounds like a, "Notice me, not Lennon," fill.

These are a few examples, I am sure I'll think of more later. Are there any songs that have you scratching your head
and asking, "What the hell were you thinking?"

Subject: Re: Worst place for a guitar solo or cymbal crash!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/31/07 at 11:34 am

Please move this thread, I accidentally posted it in the wrong spot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/07 at 12:23 pm

You better lock it quickly for you may have replies here very soon

Written By: Red Ant on 03/31/07 at 11:06 pm

The entire St. Anger album by Metallica is what you are describing. There is not a single solo anywhere, and the drums sound like Lars is beating on trash cans.

If you are a rock band, the one thing worse than a misplaced solo is no solo at all. I'm not sure if Lars was abusing the cymbals... doesn't really matter now since I have ruined both the album and DVD by using them as drink coasters.

Send me a PM as to what board you want this on, or use the report to moderator link.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/01/07 at 5:00 am

Um...at a funeral?

Written By: Howard on 04/01/07 at 2:17 pm

Um...at a funeral?

unless it's a funeral dirge.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/01/07 at 6:20 pm

The entire St. Anger album by Metallica is what you are describing. There is not a single solo anywhere, and the drums sound like Lars is beating on trash cans.

If you are a rock band, the one thing worse than a misplaced solo is no solo at all. I'm not sure if Lars was abusing the cymbals... doesn't really matter now since I have ruined both the album and DVD by using them as drink coasters.

Send me a PM as to what board you want this on, or use the report to moderator link.

Thanks Jack for moving the thread, and I agree with you on St. Anger. I tried to give the Cd to my son and he wouldn't take it.
Makes you wonder, was this album made just fulfill a contractual obligation? Whatever reason it was made, it's just bad.

Written By: Tia on 04/01/07 at 8:46 pm

i pretty much always like a good solo. i always thought the drums for "poor tom" (offa the coda album by led zeppelin) kinda ruined the song. all this big loud snare and bass drum over a mellow acoustic tune, i never really got that.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/01/07 at 8:49 pm

Thanks Jack for moving the thread, and I agree with you on St. Anger. I tried to give the Cd to my son and he wouldn't take it.
Makes you wonder, was this album made just fulfill a contractual obligation? Whatever reason it was made, it's just bad.

You're welcome.

St. Anger is well past bad, so bad that I wrote a lengthy review for it (PM me if you want to see it) and parodied every song on there in less than 8 hours - 9 of which were slamming the songs themselves.

To answer your question, I'm not sure the real reason(s) Metallica made this album.

Written By: Apricot on 05/27/07 at 12:45 pm

Ha, I was going to mention St. Anger's lack of solos...

Those "trash cans" are just the floor toms.. my friend has a decent drum set by the Pearl company, and he has two toms that sound exactly like those ones on the intro of the title track.

Check for new replies or respond here...