» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ever Heard of Book Releasing?

Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 1:25 am

I just wondered if anyone else knew of this. I had only come acroos it via an article I read in a magazine, then I mentioned at work that I wanted to read the book Perfume. A work collegue who is Italian said her Dad had found a copy of the book on a bus in Italy but as it was in English which he doesn't read he sent it to her over here. She gave it to me and it had a Book Crossing label in the front. I logged on to the webste and entered the barcode to find it had last been 'released' in 2004 and not heard of since. So I registered that I had it, read it and then rereleased it onto a train to London!
I love the idea of it but I figure loads must just end up in lost property!

Subject: Re: Ever Heard of Book Releasing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 1:54 am

I just wondered if anyone else knew of this. I had only come acroos it via an article I read in a magazine, then I mentioned at work that I wanted to read the book Perfume. A work collegue who is Italian said her Dad had found a copy of the book on a bus in Italy but as it was in English which he doesn't read he sent it to her over here. She gave it to me and it had a Book Crossing label in the front. I logged on to the webste and entered the barcode to find it had last been 'released' in 2004 and not heard of since. So I registered that I had it, read it and then rereleased it onto a train to London!
I love the idea of it but I figure loads must just end up in lost property!
Anything for a free read of a book?

I have heard of this but never knew its correct name.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 4:01 am

While I've never added a sticker to any of my books....I've left them in various places (intentionally) such as the laundrymat, doctor's offices, and a theater downtown that has a bookshelf for "homeless books"

Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 4:12 am

At work we have a selection of books for people to borrow (on an ad-hoc basis not a proper library) and I spotted that one of these had some sort of sticker on it.  It wasn't a book I wanted to borrow though so I didn't follow up on it.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/18/07 at 8:13 am

I've never heard of this being done with books....I have noticed on some dollar bills a website (handwritten by someone) where you can go to track exactly where the bill's been.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/18/07 at 8:17 am

I have been places where they have informal book drops.  It sounds cool to have a way of finding where they have been. 

Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 8:54 am

Mine was from www.bookcrossing.com I had a lovely email from the girl in Italy who first released it, she was thrilled that it had made it's way to the U.K.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/07 at 10:40 am

I love that idea!  Now I'm going look for books everywhere I go.

Written By: spaceace on 04/18/07 at 10:45 am

Oh wow, neato!!! ;D

Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 11:25 am

I was thinking of clearing out some books soon.  I'm going to look into registering some on the site.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/18/07 at 11:50 am

that is so cool! I've never heard of this before..but I think I will give it a try.  I do utilize that www.wheresgeorge.com website....where you can register cash and see where it ends up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 2:06 pm

I must watch out for these books more often

Check for new replies or respond here...