» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/09/07 at 2:31 am

Does anyone recall watching Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In? I remember watching this show & at 12-16 years old, it really seemed risque' at the time. here's the Wikipedia info on it for starters:
-----------------------------
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In was an American comedy television program which ran for 140 episodes from January 22, 1968 to May 14, 1973. It was hosted by comedians Dan Rowan and Dick Martin and was broadcast over NBC. It replaced The Man from U.N.C.L.E. in the time-slot of Mondays at 8:00 PM on NBC.

The title, Laugh-In, came out of events of the 1960s hippie culture, such as "love-ins" or "be-ins." These were terms that were, in turn, derived from "sit-ins," common in protests associated with civil rights and anti-war demonstrations of the time.

The show was characterized by a rapid-fire series of gags and sketches, many of which carried sexual innuendo. Others were politically charged and most were just silly. Rowan and Martin continued the exasperated straight man (Dan Rowan) and "dumb" guy (Dick Martin) act which had successfully established them as stand-up comics.
-----------------------------

I remember the Joke Wall where the cast would pop there heads out of the wall and make jokes with the other cast members Goldie Hahn, Joanne Wurley, Alan Seuss, Ruth Buzzi, Judi Carne, Henry Gibson, Arte Johnson, Lily Tomlin and many many more, The guest apperances were great. here's a funny clip of Tiny Tim performing "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" with Dick Martin grooving to the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

Subject: Re: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/07 at 3:32 am

I've only ever seen the show in either re-runs or randon clips on various shows.  Richard Nixon appeared on an episode of it, and I knew that before Millionaire contestant John Carpenter did.  Now where's my million bucks? lol

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/09/07 at 12:41 pm

I watched Laugh-In - what a riot!  ;D

I was a little young for some of the jokes - I agree, some of them were pretty racy for the time.  I recall the "joke wall" too.

The show seemed very popular at the time.  Some of the sayings and phrases of the time got popularized for the massses on the show, like "Sock It To Me"...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/07 at 12:54 pm

You bet your sweet bippy I watched it.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/09/07 at 2:49 pm

Arte Johnson as the dirty old man coming on to Gladys (Ruth Buzzi), seated on a park bench, who inevitably clobbered him with her purse. Sample exchange: Tyrone asks, "Do you believe in the hereafter?" Gladys says, "Of course I do!" Pleased, Tyrone exclaims, "Then you know what I'm here after!"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/07 at 4:11 pm

Arte Johnson as the dirty old man coming on to Gladys (Ruth Buzzi), seated on a park bench, who inevitably clobbered him with her purse. Sample exchange: Tyrone asks, "Do you believe in the hereafter?" Gladys says, "Of course I do!" Pleased, Tyrone exclaims, "Then you know what I'm here after!"

"Do you want to buy a dirty postcard?"

BAM! BAM! BAM!

"Do you want to play doctor" (as he falls off the bench).

VADDDDDY INTERESTING. But stupid.

Cat

Written By: Rex on 05/13/07 at 5:52 pm

Loved watching Laugh-in. It's sad that the DVDs that were released don't even come close to showing the funniest moments from the show.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/13/07 at 6:08 pm

Loved watching Laugh-in. It's sad that the DVDs that were released don't even come close to showing the funniest moments from the show.
so what was released on DVD are not complete seasons? if not, that's to bad, I'd hate to get them and miss out on some of the zaniness  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/07 at 12:54 pm

so what was released on DVD are not complete seasons? if not, that's to bad, I'd hate to get them and miss out on some of the zaniness  :D

You can't help wondering what everyone was on.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/14/07 at 1:06 pm

i got a disk of laugh-in from netflix and was surprised to find it was totally not funny. i always wanted to see the one with nixon on it but that ep is apparently not on the dvd box set. what were they thinking? i haven't  been this annoyed with a dvd company since the afterschool special people totally skipped over “horrible honchos.” What were they thinking????????????????????????????

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/07 at 1:08 pm

I do remember watching the Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, but the memory is fading fast.

Written By: tokjct on 05/16/07 at 1:33 am

I tried not to ever miss Laugh In.  ;D  Almost all of their performers were talented and some were very funny.  I guess Goldie Hawn was one of the most successful in her later career.  Likewise Lily Tomlin.  Henry Gibson got some fine dramatic roles in films.  I understand that Judie Carne had a lot of problems with drugs.  Some of the cast members seemed to disappear.  I don't remember seeing any more of Arte Johnson or Joanne Worley or Alan Sueze. I think that Chelsea Brown did have a sitcom...where she played some kind of detective.  As for Dan and Dick...I never saw them after Laugh In closed up shop.  Did I forget anyone...important?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/07 at 11:53 am

I tried not to ever miss Laugh In.  ;D  Almost all of their performers were talented and some were very funny.  I guess Goldie Hawn was one of the most successful in her later career.  Likewise Lily Tomlin.  Henry Gibson got some fine dramatic roles in films.  I understand that Judie Carne had a lot of problems with drugs.  Some of the cast members seemed to disappear.  I don't remember seeing any more of Arte Johnson or Joanne Worley or Alan Sueze. I think that Chelsea Brown did have a sitcom...where she played some kind of detective.  As for Dan and Dick...I never saw them after Laugh In closed up shop.  Did I forget anyone...important?

Pat Paulson used to run for president in EVERY election until is death.  :\'(  And you forgot about Gary Owens. Arte Johnson did go on to do many things as well as Joanne Worley (she did the voice of the wardrobe in Beauty & the Beast).

Cat

Written By: tokjct on 05/16/07 at 4:27 pm

Pat Paulson used to run for president in EVERY election until is death.  :\'(  And you forgot about Gary Owens. Arte Johnson did go on to do many things as well as Joanne Worley (she did the voice of the wardrobe in Beauty & the Beast).

Cat

Oh yes,  hand cupped over his ear...Gray Owens and his sidekick...Morkle the friendly drelb (?)
Also there were dozens of major personalities who made guest appearances...from President Nixon to John Wayne and Tony Curtis.

Other Regulars that come to mind...of course, Ruth Buzzi, Flip Wilson, Tiny Tim, and Pamela Rogers, and those British chaps...Jeremy Lloyd and Dick Wittington..and, oh yes, Dave Madden.  :D ;D http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsurprise.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif

peace...Lee (aka tokjct)

Written By: star80 on 06/07/07 at 9:18 pm

Yes, I was a kid, but I remember the show, it was the coolest show on tv back in the day, I just loved watching Goldie Hawn in her bikini with all the tattoos  and Lily Tomlin doing her Edith Ann act

Check for new replies or respond here...