» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Workers

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/21/07 at 12:07 am

Workers

Subject: Re: The Gold Collar Workers - Mid 70's to early 80's borne

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/07 at 7:43 am

Cool article - I agree with alot of what they're saying even if I disagree on some of the dates (then again, that's one of the oldest debates on this board probably, lol).

I always got the impression that one reason Generation X probably resents the Boomers, was because it was harder for them to get jobs during the recession of the early '90s. This was more for the early Gen Xers, though (former '80s high schoolers, like the Brat Pack crowd). Once you get to c. 1975ers, this wouldn't really affect them in the job market if they were still in high school.

The point about being able to get away with dabbling in multiple generation fashion makes sense too. In a way, you could say people born in the second half of the '70s are sort of the oldest "Zeroes people" (I know people in their early 30s who like South Park, 50 Cent or Halo II). Just personally, as a Fall 1981er I always felt like a huge cusper, which I guess is why I knew exactly what they were talking about. I like quite a bit of both X and Y culture, technology and mindset, even a little Boomer thrown in there too - probably secondhand from people like my parents or celebrities whom I like.

I think the one line from Boomer to Generation X culture would either be Reagan's election (for politics and world affairs), or MTV premiering (for pop culture). So it makes sense to say the cutoff from Xers to Yers is sometime in the first two thirds of 1981, but extending it to 1999 is ridiculous. I could see myself in the same basic generation as early '90s babies (especially the more time goes on and the differences become less obvious) - they had some cursorary old-school experience, but to put me in the boat with a current day 7 or 8-year old is insane. Even as adults, that's a pretty big difference (i.e. a 35 year old compared to a 55-year old).

Probably 1973ers to 1988/'89ers (but centrally about '75 to '85) seem to feel like "my generation" in terms of people I can usually commonly relate to on a peer level, but that's a different story. ;)

Subject: Re: The Gold Collar Workers - Mid 70's to early 80's borne

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/07 at 10:14 pm

^That's interesting, I graduated in 2000 but I'm a late '81er, so I'm just about as cuspy as you can possibly get, according to them. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...