» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Modern songs based on classical music

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/07 at 12:41 pm

Lots of songs past and present have been based on classical music.  Got any favourites?

A few for me ...

Lady Lynda - Beach Boys
Based on 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring' a movement from Bach's 'Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben' canata

Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte <Ferry Corsten remix> - William Orbit
originally by Maurice Ravel

Adagio For Strings <Ferry Corsten remix> - William Orbit
originally by Samuel Barber

Rivers of Babylon - Boney M
based on Psalm 137 (King James version)

Midnight Blue - Louise Tucker
based on Bethoven's 'Piano Sonata' (Pathétique Sonata)

Song of Joy - Miguel Rios
based on 'Ode to Joy' from Beethoven's 9th Symphony

All Together Now - The Farm
All Together Now 2004 - The Farm featuring the SFX Boys Choir
inspired by Pachelbel's 'Cannon'

Go West - Village People / Pet Shop Boys
inspired by Pachelbel's 'Cannon'

Madame Butterfly - Malcolm McLaren
based on Giacomo Puccini's 'Madame Butterfly'

Hooked on Classics - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Subject: Re: Modern songs based on classical music

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 12:47 pm

Rain And Tears ~ Aphrodite's Child
Streets of London ~ Ralph MacTell
Don't Look Back In Anger ~ Oasis
All inspired by Pachelbel's 'Cannon'

Joybringer ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Inspired by Jupiter from Gustav Holst's Planet Suitte

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 12:52 pm

This Night ~ Billy Joel
Midnight Blue ~ Louise Tucker
The chorus to these songs inspired by Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, op. 13 ("Pathétique")

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:06 pm

Beach Baby ~ First Class
The verse to these song is inspired by Pachelbel's 'Canon in D' and also features musical strains from Sibelius' Symphony No 5

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/07 at 1:12 pm

All By Myself-Eric Carmen
Mandy-Barry Manilow

For the life of me, I can't recall what piece is played in either one of these songs-but I know there is a bit of classical music in both of them.

At the end of Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", he plays a bit of Edvard Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King" from the "Peer Gant Suite".

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:16 pm

All By Myself-Eric Carmen
Mandy-Barry Manilow

For the life of me, I can't recall what piece is played in either one of these songs-but I know there is a bit of classical music in both of them.

At the end of Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", he plays a bit of Edvard Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King" from the "Peer Gant Suite".

Cat
All By Myself-Eric Carmen Rachmaninov

Do you mean Could It Be Magic not Mandy by Barry Manilow? Chopin

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/07 at 1:18 pm

All By Myself-Eric Carmen Rachmaninov

Do you mean Could It Be Magic not Mandy by Barry Manilow? Chopin

That's it. Thank you. Yeah, I always got Could it be Magic and Mandy mixed up. I guess because I have an album (yes, I have a Barry Manilow album  :-[ ) where he combines the two songs.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 06/29/07 at 8:26 pm

I've got a few and they're all on this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_songs_based_on_classical_music

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 2:13 am

One song not listed on Wikipedia Popular Songs based on Classical Music is Claire Hammill's Someday We Will All Be Together with is based on Pachelbel's 'Canon in D'

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/07 at 3:11 pm

Also not listed on Wikipedia "A Lover's Concerto" by the Toys. Bach's "Minuet in G major"

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 3:17 pm

Also not listed on Wikipedia "A Lover's Concerto" by the Toys. Bach's "Minuet in G major"

Cat
It is there:

(1965) "A Lover's Concerto" by The Toys - based on Christian Petzold's Minuet in G from the Anna Magdalena Notebook of J.S. Bach.

I have never realised that "Song Sung Blue" by Neil Diamond is based on Mozart's "Piano Concerto No. 21", second movement. Both song and Mozart's music I know very well.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/30/07 at 3:37 pm

This list also excludes:

Romeo And Juliet...ELP (Sergei Prokofiev)

Mars, Bringer Of War...ELP (Gustav Holst)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/07 at 3:45 pm

It is there:

(1965) "A Lover's Concerto" by The Toys - based on Christian Petzold's Minuet in G from the Anna Magdalena Notebook of J.S. Bach.

Oops. Somehow I missed it and I looked a few times.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 4:04 pm

This list also excludes:

Romeo And Juliet...ELP (Sergei Prokofiev)

Mars, Bringer Of War...ELP (Gustav Holst)
Are these songs adapted from the musical themes or just instrumental on the musical theme?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/07 at 2:19 am

Another song with the Pachabel Canon notation not mentioned on that Wikipedia webpage is Spicks and Specks ~ The Bee Gees.

Written By: Paul on 07/02/07 at 2:32 pm

Another song with the Pachabel Canon notation not mentioned on that Wikipedia webpage is Spicks and Specks ~ The Bee Gees.

And another...

Kylie's 'I Should Be So Lucky' was apparently 'inspired' by the self-same piece of music (but to my ears, that's stretching things a bit!)

Three from the late, great Jackie Wilson...who had a penchant for these sort of things...

'Night' - based on Saint-Saens' 'My Heart At Thy Sweet Voice' from 'Samson & Delilah' (never released in the UK due to copyright problems)

'Alone At Last' - based on Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto in B Flat

'My Empty Arms' - based on Leoncavello's Vesti La Giubba' from 'I Pagliacci' (available in the UK for a week before it befell the same fate as 'Night' and was promptly withdrawn...)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 2:34 pm

And another...

Kylie's 'I Should Be So Lucky' was apparently 'inspired' by the self-same piece of music (but to my ears, that's stretching things a bit!)

I have never caught the notation in 'I Should Be So Lucky', but if I was to play it on the piano I may catch it then.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/02/07 at 2:34 pm

One of my favorites is 'Never Gonna Fall In Love Again' by Eric Carmen...a song whose melody is based on Rachmaninov's Second Symphony... :)

Written By: Paul on 07/02/07 at 2:38 pm

I have never caught the notation in 'I Should Be So Lucky', but if I was to play it on the piano I may catch it then.

It's there, but it's very tenuous (which is why I think it's stretching it a bit!)

Here's a clue...it's in the verses, not the chorus!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 2:40 pm

It's there, but it's very tenuous (which is why I think it's stretching it a bit!)

Here's a clue...it's in the verses, not the chorus!
Thanks, I may be so lucky and I could find it.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/07 at 4:55 pm

Becks Bolero from Bolero by Ravel

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 8:59 am

That Pachelbel's Canon turns up a lot doesn't it?  I've scribbled down one line of it to try at home on my daughter's keyboard

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 9:04 am

That Pachelbel's Canon turns up a lot doesn't it?  I've scribbled down one line of it to try at home on my daughter's keyboard
Have you checked here.

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 10:01 am

Have you checked here.

Yes I couldn't get the file to play.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 11:17 am

Yes I couldn't get the file to play.
It should be available elsewhere.

It is our favourite classical piece in our house.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/14/07 at 4:16 pm

Whilst watching movie The Dambusters, I was inpsired to play the Dambusters March on the keyboards. Once found the melody, I started to locate the chords, and to my shock and horror, the accompanying chord belong to the Pachelbel's Canon.

Written By: Henk on 07/14/07 at 4:44 pm

Two songs that are not on the list:

"O Fortuna" by Fortuna feat. Satenig (1992)
"O Fortuna" by Apotheosis (1992)

Both songs contain a sample from Carl Orff's "O Fortuna", from his "Carmina Burana". Both records had to be withdrawn from the market because the samples had been used without the consent of the heirs of Carl Orff.

Written By: Henk on 07/15/07 at 2:23 pm

Both songs contain a sample from Carl Orff's "O Fortuna", from his "Carmina Burana". Both records had to be withdrawn from the market because the samples had been used without the consent of the heirs of Carl Orff.

There doesn't seem to be a video for the Apotheosis version (although I somewhat prefer that one, especially the Apocalypse Chorus Mix), but I have found the video for the other one. In case you wanna know what it sounds & looks like:

Fortuna feat. Satenig - O Fortuna

Believe it or not, this reached #2 in Dutch Top 40 (before it was withdrawn from the market).

Written By: zcrito on 07/15/07 at 5:50 pm

Nazi composer Carl Orff. His "O Fortuna" seems to pop up in movies and in television commercials. Many have probably heard it before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw3KWb9bH4

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/07 at 11:50 pm

There doesn't seem to be a video for the Apotheosis version (although I somewhat prefer that one, especially the Apocalypse Chorus Mix), but I have found the video for the other one. In case you wanna know what it sounds & looks like:

Fortuna feat. Satenig - O Fortuna

Believe it or not, this reached #2 in Dutch Top 40 (before it was withdrawn from the market).

I don't much care for that rap part of that song (the guy's voice is too loud) but overall that's quite a catchy song :)

Written By: Henk on 07/16/07 at 12:09 am

I don't much care for that rap part of that song (the guy's voice is too loud) but overall that's quite a catchy song :)

I totally agree with you. They could've done a lot better on that part.

Nazi composer Carl Orff. His "O Fortuna" seems to pop up in movies and in television commercials. Many have probably heard it before

The version by Apotheosis hit #5 in Dutch Top 40 (before it was withdrawn). After that, they released a single called "Obumbratta".
I've always wondered where they got their title, but now I know. They just couldn't resist, could they?  ;D Thanks zcrito. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/07 at 12:09 pm

It was in the movie Excalibur. Several years ago, I was helping out with a play at the local high school. There was one scene where they needed some music. After thinking about it, O Fortuna came up. I brought it to the director's attention. He wasn't too sure what it was until he heard it. He did go with my suggestion.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 07/17/07 at 2:50 pm

Another one (although not adapted with words, the arrangement was pepped up...)

Waldo De Los Rios with (deep breath) 'Mozart Symphony #40 in G Minor (K550), 1st Movement (Allegro Molto)' (Yes, it was all squeezed onto the record label!), which made the British Top 5 in 1971...

There was a contemporary 'cover' by The Soverign Collection, but they couldn't be bothered with all those words, so they just called it 'Mozart 40'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 3:02 pm

Waldo De Los Rios with (deep breath) 'Mozart Symphony #40 in G Minor (K550), 1st Movement (Allegro Molto)' (Yes, it was all squeezed onto the record label!), which made the British Top 5 in 1971...

There was a contemporary 'cover' by The Soverign Collection, but they couldn't be bothered with all those words, so they just called it 'Mozart 40'...
At school my music teacher hated that record!

Written By: Paul on 07/17/07 at 3:09 pm

At school my music teacher hated that record!

He/she was probably a 'purist'...

As I recall, my music teacher wasn't that struck on 'Hooked On Classics'!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/07 at 3:11 pm

He/she was probably a 'purist'...

As I recall, my music teacher wasn't that struck on 'Hooked On Classics'!
Many have slammed Miguel Rios' Song Of Joy, but for me it was my introduction to Beethoven (plus Walter or Wendy Carlos music for A Clockwork Orange)

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/07 at 3:57 pm

How about "Toccata" by Sky, a great progressive rock version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.  Also, the infamous 'People Are Still Having Sex' by LaTour which contains a clever reworked sample of Toccata

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/07 at 9:28 pm

I had a boatload of them, but you've already mentioned the titles, or they're on that damn Wiki list.  Thanks a lot!
;)

My favorite Sting song is still "Russians," because it's Prokofiev, not sting.  When I bought my first Prokofiev CD in 1991, it included the "Lieutenant Kije Suite" on it.  I knew I heard that "Romance" theme in a pop song years earlier and I drove myself crazy trying to figure it out.  It took me two years (not that I tried every day for two years  :P ).  The only copy I had of Sting's "Russians" was on a mixtape I made in '86 and had stashed away in one of my drawers of mix tapes!

Malcolm McLaren's harem video for "Madame Butterfly" caught my attention.  It looks like those models in the steam are nude!  The song works because of the great synthesizer textures which complement the aria.  The extended mixes demonstrate this more fully.  However, McLaren's English lyrics stink (eg. "Gotta have something to believe in, my white honkey I do miss him/Someday soone he'll come around just to stop my nervous breakdown").  That voice is Carol Kenyon, who you also hear on Heaven 17's "Temptation" and a score of other '80s songs. 

I wrote about Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" in the thread dedicated to artists who had hits in other countries, but not in their own.  That song is inspired by the 20th century Minimalist School (eg. Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Jon Gibson), now considered a sub-genre of "Classical."  Furthermore, the full title is "O Superman (for Massenet) because it borrows it's lyrical theme from Jules Massenet's 1885 comic opera, "Le Cid" (libretto based on Pierre Corneille's play of the same name).

Today I was listening to the Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday," which is not inspired a particular piece of classical music, but has its roots in English ballad of the Elizabethan era, and Renaissance music I'm unable to "hang a name on."  There's still controversy about whether Keith Richards or Brian Jones wrote this song. 

Many songs on the big list are based on Beethoven's Sonata no. 14, "Moonlight Sonata."  Depeche Mode used a straight rendering of Sonata no. 14 as a b-side to "Little 15" (catch a numeric theme there?).  They didn't adapt it to anything, it was just Alan Wilder showing off his classical piano chops.

Written By: zcrito on 07/22/07 at 3:56 pm

It was in the movie Excalibur. Several years ago, I was helping out with a play at the local high school. There was one scene where they needed some music. After thinking about it, O Fortuna came up. I brought it to the director's attention. He wasn't too sure what it was until he heard it. He did go with my suggestion.

Cat

Actually O Fortuna got noticed and used again 5 years ago in another movie

2002's "Jackass: The Movie"

And who says movies like "Jackass" don't have any redeeming value?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 4:48 am

Another Pachelbel Canon in D song has turned, the notation appears in the chorus of Found You by Ross Copperman

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 2:18 pm

Not quite modern but from the fifties, Oscar Hammersmith arranged new words to the libretto of Carmen as a musical Carmen Jones.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 08/29/07 at 11:41 am

Most everything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/07 at 3:43 am

Brought on from the concert I attended last night, I remember that The Seekers back in the 60s had a record of "Emerald City", of which the melody ia based on Ode To Joy theme from Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 12:35 am

The 1990 hit 'The Time of Day' by Gino Vannelli is based around a classical piece, but I can't quite put my finger on the name of it :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/07 at 2:37 am

The 1990 hit 'The Time of Day' by Gino Vannelli is based around a classical piece, but I can't quite put my finger on the name of it :-\\
Where can I listen to this song so that I can confirm the classical tune for you. BTW, it is not YouTube.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 9:26 am

Where can I listen to this song so that I can confirm the classical tune for you. BTW, it is not YouTube.

Here is a clip.  I listened to it like crazy last night finally realizing that it could be the ever popular Pachlbel's Cannon, but I could use conformation on that :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/07 at 9:49 am

Here is a clip.  I listened to it like crazy last night finally realizing that it could be the ever popular Pachlbel's Cannon, but I could use conformation on that :)
The clip did not work, and on the message that came up it did say Apple Computer?

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 10:25 am

The clip did not work, and on the message that came up it did say Apple Computer?

This link should work :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/07 at 10:27 am

This link should work :)
Thanks, I heard it then.

Yes, Pachabel's Canon rules again, I was expecting Gino Vannelli to come in with "Go West" at any time.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 10:33 am

I was expecting Gino Vannelli to come in with "Go West" at any time.

;D

I think 'Go West' will remain undefeated for many years to come as the ultimate champion for use of Pachelbel's Cannon

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/07 at 10:57 am

;D

I think 'Go West' will remain undefeated for many years to come as the ultimate champion for use of Pachelbel's Cannon
For popularity yes, for me it is Rain and Tears by Aphrodite's Child (Vangelis & Demis Roussos)

Written By: Lindee on 10/16/07 at 10:59 am

Roll Over Beethoven-ELO

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/07 at 11:02 am

Roll Over Beethoven-ELO
The song only uses the opening bars of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, the song itself is not a Beethoven tune,

Written By: ninny on 10/18/07 at 11:32 am

lots of people have used  Pachelbel's cannon, there is Also Sprach Zarathustra by R Strauss,Copland's Rodeo which was renamed Hoedown Joy by Apollo 100 based on Bach

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/18/07 at 3:31 pm

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum. Inspired by Bach's "Air on a G String".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/07 at 5:02 pm

It was Miguel Rios, son of Waldo De Los Rios, that song a pop version of Ode of Joy called "Song of Joy".

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/07 at 11:34 am

S Club 7's "Natural" used Fauré's Pavane in F-sharp minor to back the song

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/07 at 3:46 am

Just heard on Classic FM (Dutch)

If We Could Only by Tom Parker and The New London Chorale.

Based on "The Shepherd's Song" from Beethoven's 6th Symphony "The Pastural".

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/08 at 7:07 am

I have just heard an interview with the record producer Mike Batt on BBC Radio 2, in which he told of his production of Little Does She Know by The Kursaal Flyers. He gave the song an orchestral backing with an 1812 Overture sounding music even with cannon fire (produced by a shotgun with the sound slowed down) and at the end included the Halleujah Chorus by Handel.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 10:30 pm

Madame Butterfly - Malcolm McLaren
based on Giacomo Puccini's 'Madame Butterfly'

Malcom McLaren did a lot of this sort of thing, and (IMNSHO) he did it pretty damn well.

His album Waltz Darling is basically a house riff of the Strauss' Blue Danube, and for bonus points, one of his tracks pays homage to the classic science fiction story of Flowers for Algernon.

Sometimes I wonder if McLaren wasn't the true father of Nerdcore, and we just waited 10-15 years to figure it out.

Written By: Bobby on 03/29/08 at 3:24 pm

'This night (is mine)' - Billy Joel (Beethoven - Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13)

'I'll C U when you get there' - Coolio (Pachelbell's Canon)

'Everything's gonna be alright' - Sweetbox (J.S. Bach's Overture No. 3 in D major)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/08 at 10:35 pm

Malcom McLaren did a lot of this sort of thing, and (IMNSHO) he did it pretty damn well.

His album Waltz Darling is basically a house riff of the Strauss' Blue Danube, and for bonus points, one of his tracks pays homage to the classic science fiction story of Flowers for Algernon.

Sometimes I wonder if McLaren wasn't the true father of Nerdcore, and we just waited 10-15 years to figure it out.

I dunno, but some of us nerds sure liked this video in '85!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ahDP92KoU

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/03/08 at 1:37 am

I dunno, but some of us nerds sure liked this video in '85!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ahDP92KoU

Never gonna-hey, that's not a Rick Roll! (Or if it is, I wish Rick had rolled like that!)

No disrespect to Malcolm (or Puccini), but you could have muted the speaker and it'd still be a pretty good video.  I sure as he-doublehockeysticks didn't complain in '85, and I ain't complaining now.  Thanks for the mammaries!

The biggest musical difference between 80s-me and 90s/00s-me is that I eventually figured out that the song stood on its own without the video.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 2:18 pm

Magic's Back by Malcolm McLaren And Alison Limerick

This song has the underlying theme of the Allegretto from Beethoven's 7th Symphony, and MM kept true to the music for his song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 9:17 am

On Horseback by Mike Oldfield

The chorus for this song has the Pachelbel's Canon in D notation.

Check for new replies or respond here...