» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What is your favourite year in pop-music history?

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 11:00 am

Your favourite year in pop history?

This thread is a bit of a challenge ... in the sense that I'm asking you to pick ONE year ... no equivocating here...you're granted the wish to take only one year through the 'pearly gates' ... or wherever we're meant to go. What would that year be, the hits, and why ?

I can't exactly say when it was ... but quite some years ago (decades ago?) I decided for me it was 1970.It was a year of transition ... the Beatles split up that year forever. The 60's had just finished ... and a bit of trivia here ... with the likes of the 'Rolling Stones' ... 'Beatles'... 'Elvis' 'Bee Gees' 'Beach Boys' 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' etc; etc; being just some of the acts who had UK no.1's in the 60's .... (or several) ... the hit that saw out the 'swinging 60's as No.1 in the UK ... and was there for a couple of weeks of the 70's .. was 'Two little boys' by Rolf Harris. There's a sweet amusing irony about that (at least to me ... I mean .. how uncool is THAT!).  :o :P :P

I have this theory that your favourite year will be around the time your hormones are firing away sometime in your teen years .. and if my own case is to be used ... if you're a guy ... I would guess it was when you were 16 ... + or -1 year. I will go for 16 ... which is what I was then!

Whilst there were a few good songs in the early 60's ... and I'd say 'She loves you' by the Beatles was probably the 1st pop song I really loved .. .(now it sounds so primitive) .. I thought by the time we hit late 1967 ... the songs /quality of recordings was really starting to mature. I started to like a lot of what I was hearing on the radio.

When 1970 began, I didn't realise at the time how good of a year it was (song wise) till nearly half way through! There had been some good hits in the first half of that year ...but it wasn't till around mid  May onwards that the quality just appeared to soar to me. The standout from May was 'Abraham Martin & John' by Marvin Gaye ... with 'It's all in the Game' by the Four Tops ... being another great Motown hit in that month.

Well, this is turning into a bit of an essay .. but let's just say my love for this year and the hits that followed coincided with me getting my first tape recorder ... and I couldn't get enough of the hits that followed after that. Nevertheless, I still think 1970 was awesome for the sheer variety ........ and the  quality of the songs. So many great ORIGINAL songs from that one year! Yes ... there is the odd 'cover' like Gerry Monroe's version of the Platters 'My Prayer' .. but even in that case ... it turns out (IMHO) to be not only different enough ... but actually a substantial improvement on the original (in fact I love Gerry's version ... schmaltzy as it is!). Likewise, I love the Melanie version's of 'Ruby Tuesday' whereas the Rolling Stones original  version I find just 'Ok'.

1970
                                                                                                            an AWESOME YEAR!

Some notable UK CHART DEBUTANTS: Jackson 5; Gilbert O'Sullivan;The Carpenters;Hot Chocolate;Deep Purple:
Chairmen of the Board: Judy Collins: Anne Murray:Bobby Bloom;Free:Clarence Carter:Neil Diamond:Bread

MOTOWN:

JACKSON 5: abc; the love you save;I want you back;I'll be there
MARVIN GAYE: Abraham mountain & John
DIANA ROSS: Ain't no mountain high enough
SUPREMES: Up the ladder to the roof
MOTOWN SPINNERS:It's a shame
GLADYS KNIGHT: If I were your woman
JIMMY RUFFIN: It's Wonderful; I'll say forever my love
SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES: The tears of a clown
FOUR TOPS:It's all in the game;Still water
STEVIE WONDER: Heaven help us all; Signed sealed delivered I'm yours
TEMPTATIONS: Ball of confusion
EDWIN STARR: War

MISCELLANEOUS:

ARETHA FRANKLIN: Don't Play that song for me
JIMI HENDRIX: voodoo chile
THE CARPENTERS: close to you
JUDY COLLINS: Amazing Grace
MARMALADE:Rainbow
CLARENCE CARTER: Patches
STATUS QUO:Down the Dustpipe; In my chair
PICKETTYWITCH:Baby I won't let you down;That same old feeling;(It's like a )sad old kinda movie
CAT STEVENS: My lady D'Arbanville
CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD: Give me just a little more time; You've got me dangling on a string
ELVIS PRESLEY: The Wonder of You; I've lost you
SIMON & GARFUNKEL: Bridge over troubled waters
GILBERT O'SULLIVAN: Nothing Rhymed
GERRY MONROE: My Prayer
MARY HOPKIN:Knock Knock who's there?; Temma Harbour
DANA: All kinds of everything
ROGER WHITTAKER: I don't believe in if anymore; New world in the morning
ANDY WILLIAMS: Can't help falling in love;It's so easy;Home lovin' man
MATTHEW'S SOUTHERN COMFORT: Woodstock
DON FARDON: Indian Reservation
ANNE MURRAY: Snowbird
BUTTERSCOTCH: Don't you know
JOHNNY JOHNSON & THE BANDWAGON: Sweet Inspiration; Blame it on the Pony Express
NORMAN GREENBAUM: Spirit in the sky
BEE GEES: Lonely days
BEATLES: Let it be
BLACK SABBATH:Paranoid
CHICAGO:25 or 6 to 4; I'm a man
DEEP PURPLE: Black Night
FREE: Alright Now
CCS: Whole lotta love
KINKS: Lola; Ape man
TEN YEARS AFTER: Love like a man
POPPY FAMILY: Which way you going Billy?
IDES OF MARCH: vehicle
BROTHERHOOD OF MAN: united we stand
PETER PAUL AND MARY: leaving on a jet plane
SHIRLEY BASSEY: Something
MR.BLOE: groovin' with Mr.Bloe
HERMAN'S HERMITS: Lady Barbara
MUNGO JERRY: In the Summertime
THE MOODY BLUES: Question
STEAM: na na hey hey kiss him goodbye
HOT CHOCOLATE: love is life
CHRISTIE: yellow river;san bernadino
BLUE MINK: good morning freedom; our world
FREDA PAYNE: band of gold
DAVE EDMUNDS: I hear you knocking
SHOCKIN' BLUE: venus
THE HOLLIES: gasoline alley bred; I can't tell the bottom from the top
THE RATTLES: The Witch
FLEETWOOD MAC: Green Manilishi
T REX: ride a white swan
JIMMY CLIFF: wild world
BOBBY BLOOM: montego bay
WHITE PLAINS:my baby loves lovin'; I've got you on my mind; Julie do ya love me?
TOM JONES: daughter of darkness
NEIL DIAMOND: Cracklin' Rosie
GLENN CAMPBELL: It's only make believe; honey come back
BREAD: make it with you
BEACH BOYS: cotton fields
RAY STEVENS: everything is beautiful
NICKY THOMAS: love of the common people
TREMELOES: me and my life
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY: I think I love you
McGUINNES FLINT: when I'm dead and gone
THREE DOG NIGHT: mama told me not to come
HOTLEGS: neanderthal man
EDISON LIGHTHOUSE: love grows where my Rosemary goes
BOB & MARCIA: Young, gifted and Black
MELANIE: Ruby Tuesday

I intend to make further comment about the individual songs at a later date ... if anyone's interested in my feedback/feelings/info/recommendations of which I believe are top class / worthy of downloading ...  (although many of these are).

Subject: Re: What is your favourite year in pop-music history?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 6:05 pm

Does this only include what came out in the actual year itself, or what we personally experienced/listened to?

If it's the latter, I'd say 1991 and maybe even all around.

If there was one year that represented the best of both words ("Eighties music" and "Nineties music") this would be it. On one hand, you still had a little bit of Steve Winwood-type soft rock, power ballads, and some 1984ish artists that were charting (even if not as high), like Huey Lewis, Madonna, Tom Petty or Prince. Yet you also could listen to fresh, new stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers or "Right Here Right Now". There was alot of adult contemporary which was sort of in its own period, or just breezy innocent pop like Amy Grant. Then there was stuff caught inbetween the decades, like M.C. Hammer, Wilson Philips, Paula Abdul (whom I really got into when "Rush Rush" came out) or various house/dance songs.

I was listening at least a little bit to all of that at the time, but of course I liked the earlier '80s stuff as well (from albums, radio, VH1 etc).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/03/07 at 9:58 pm

I......just...cannot pick one year. :\'( There are too many good ones. :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 9:59 pm

Hi Marty. In response ....

Does this only include what came out in the actual year itself, or what we personally experienced/listened to?

^
When I posted those 1970's songs ... I stuck in approx 100 from that year which I consider to be the cream. There were a couple of songs I'd've liked to have included from late 1969 ... which were still on the chart in early 1970 ... but I thought .. no... I've gotta be tough. So I included only songs that made their 1st chart appearance in 1970. I can't claim to know EVERY song from 1970 .... but probably know around 85% of them that charted. So yes, I think the answer is the latter.

If it's the latter, I'd say 1991 and maybe even all around.

^

I've said elsewhere that for me, the 90's is when I more or less tuned out of music. My own opinion is that from around 1986, there were diminishing returns ... i.e. a lot of 'who cares' ... I wouldn't bother to tape that one ... songs coming out, although now and again, a gem. I'll admit that there were a handful of songs in 1990/ 1991 that I really liked ... but they tended to be more 80's sounding .... things like 'Sacrifice' by Elton John, and 'Nothing Compares to you' by Sinead O'Connor. Probably my favourite piece of music from the 90's was Enigma's 'Sadeness' .... the whole album (MCMXC)  became one of my favourites. After that, maybe 1992  I started hearing a lot of thumping dance music / boy bands/ rap stuff etc; and experienced few songs of outstanding melodic appeal .... so just tuned out generally from radio / listened largely to the old stuff.

Anyhow, since you reckon 1991 ... I'd be interested to see a list of  specific songs / associated artists from that year that you rated.
:)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 10:02 pm

I......just...cannot pick one year. :\'( There are too many good ones. :D

That's a shame.  :\'(  In that case .... should the 'Pearly Gates' scenario arise that I started this thread with .... I suspect they won't let you through ... at least with music (from multiple years!).

:P :P :P ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 10:15 pm

The same for me, I cannot pick one single year, but I did seem to like alot of songs from 1982 more than any year of the 80s :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/03/07 at 10:20 pm

I'm at work getting ready to go home but I will revisit this thread at another time  8)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 10:34 pm

The same for me, I cannot pick one single year, but I did seem to like alot of songs from 1982 more than any year of the 80s :)

Then you have the same fate as Quirk  :\'(  (by the scenario  ;) ).

Wanna rattle of a few faves from 1982?

Actually, I have a friend who also rates that same year ... 'cause he was particularly a fan of the 'new romantics'.

I see you're 30 in December .. so you were born in 1977. Means you turned 15 in 1982 .... so my 'theory' doesn't look too far wide of the mark so far ...

I have this theory that your favourite year will be around the time your hormones are firing away sometime in your teen years .. and if my own case is to be used ... if you're a guy ... I would guess it was when you were 16 ... + or -1 year. I will go for 16 ... which is what I was then!

I might however revise the 'theory' to be + or - 2 instead of 1 .... so I reckon 14-18 years of age will be the year that most people would say they were .. when the music seemed at its peak. I had a quick peek through some of 'Jersey Bwoy's' posts to try and find the Puff Daddy pic you were talking about (can you describe it?) .. and noticed he reckons he was 18 when his peak experience music year was.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 10:38 pm

15 in 1982? Make that 5 .... duh! Wish I'd read/ absorbed my own post before posting  :-[ :-[ :-[ . bang goes the theory!

Hey Whistledog ...you must be a freak or something....you're not ALLOWED to have your fave year as a 5 year old!

>:( :P ;D :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 10:39 pm

What I meant was, if you were listening to 1984 music in 1991 for example, could you count that as "your" experience? Or does it have to be exclusive to the year itself. Like I said, there was alot of music from some years earlier that I didn't hear until the early-mid '90s. Either from friends, listening to the radio and watching VH1 (they aired alot of "older" videos back in the day). I also bought alot of compilation albums or got deeper into artists I already was a fan of.

But off the top of my head, actual 1991 songs I liked...

It Hit Me Like a Hammer - Huey Lewis
Rush Rush - Paula Abdul (the rest of the Spellbound singles were '92 I believe)
Miles Away - Winger (this was generally the last year power ballads could chart)
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I Wonder Why - Curtis Stigers
Mysterious Ways, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World - U2
Black Or White - Michael Jackson
Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
Baby Baby, Every Heartbeat, That's What Love is For - Amy Grant
Learning to Fly, Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Steel Bars, Love is a Wonderful Thing - Michael Bolton (yeah, I'm a geek)
Right Now - Van Halen
The Motown Song, Rhythm of My Heart - Rod Stewart
Too Legit To Quit - MC Hammer
I'll Get By - Eddie Money
Love Will Never Do Without You - Janet Jackson
I Can't Dance - Genesis

There's more, but you get the idea. The big picture of 1991 was Nineties even before Nirvana, but do you see what I mean about having alot of choices for what you could've been listening to? There were still quite a bit of '80s and just generally "older" artists that hadn't faded yet, yet lots of new things were coming out. I ought to say, with as much as I like that year, it also had some equally cheesy and flat out laughable things, like "Ice Ice Baby" and Right Said Fred. But today, even those have their charm. I guess I tend to favor Top Forty. Yet I was probably one of the few 9-year olds who liked Bolton. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 10:45 pm

15 in 1982? Make that 5 .... duh! Wish I'd read/ absorbed my own post before posting   :-[ :-[ :-[ . bang goes the theory!

Hey Whistledog ...you must be a freak or something....you're not ALLOWED to have your fave year as a 5 year old!

>:( :P ;D :D

With all due respect, it's not like people can't get into things later, Lantern. ;)

It kinda works both ways with me. I liked music as early as 3 years old around 1985, so some of my tastes developed as they were actually coming out, while some was after the fact. I really love both the '80s and '90s and even some oldies and classic rock which I heard later on. There aren't any hard rules that apply to this. The radio plays "older" music, and people can go through their parents' album collection or whatever.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/03/07 at 10:45 pm

Your favourite year in pop history?

A really good but really hard question!   :D   For sure my favorite is something between 1971 and 1976 (inclusive).  I guess it's because I 'came of age' during this timeframe.  I'll make my pick, although it's a close call -

I pick 1974.

Here's a piece of trivia: did you know 1974 and 1975 tied for the largest number of Billboard #1 hits?  Obviously it's because fewer songs stayed at #1 week after week.  Many things can be read into that, but to me it implies that the competition at the top was fierce!  That to say there was some incredible music made in 1974.  The quality of rock, soul, and pop music was really excellent then.  Disco was very new, so it was fresh.  The technology was advanced a lot by then and put into use, but technology hadn't taken over the music as it would in later years.

That's why it's my pick.

Here's a few big hits in 1974 (not including minor hits and album cuts):

Band On The Run - McCartney/Wings
Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation
I Shot The Sheriff - Eric Clapton
Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin
Haven't Got Time For The Pain - Carly Simon
Bennie And The Jets - Elton John
Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - Barry White
Rock On - David Essex
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
For The Love Of Money - O'Jays
Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan
It's Only Rock n Roll (But I Like It) - Rolling Stones
Whatever Gets You Through The Night - John Lennon
I Can Help - Billy Swann
Nothing From Nothing - Billy Preston
Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Swede
Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer
(I've Been) Searchin' So Long - Chicago
You Make Me Feel Brand New - Stylistics
Tin Man - America
Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - Gladys Knight & Pips

I'm surely missing some favorites, but I'll start with these...

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 10:53 pm

^
Thanks Marty for your effort there. I might seek some of those songs out ..

Of the one's you've mentioned/ listed ... I know 'The Motown Song'; 'I can't dance';'Walking in Memphis'; 'Black or White'; and 'I'm too sexy'.

Those songs are Ok ... but not much better than that ... (to me,  anyway). I think it's a case of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' ... and also something to do with the age / hormones of the beholder at the time ... but since you were only around 9 or 10 at this time ... my theory is collapsing like a deck of cards.  :\'( :( :-[ :-[ :\'( :\'( :\'(

On the other hand maybe 'inthe00s' isn't representative of a 'normal' population.  >:( >:( :P

That's it! My 'get out clause' for the theory! Freaks not included!!  ;) :D ;D :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/07 at 10:56 pm

Well, yeah everyone had different situations growing up, so of course, no two people's experiences are going to match up the same. This is something I didn't realize fully until years later. However, from my experience, starting with the 1980s, it has been more common for kids to like music or other pop culture as much as the teenager and younger adult population which are often more stereotyped for it.

I absorbed lots of video games and music in my childhood, which was mixed with school and family experiences. When I look back, it's everything put together that I miss. Lots of other kids I knew (either friends or classmates) were into it too, so I never felt alone. In fact, one of my first days starting a new school in early '91, I remember getting on the bus and one of the kids a little older than me had these baggy "U Can't Touch This"-styled pants. Some of the others were commenting on him dressing like MC Hammer. Things like this were my first exposure to trends or knowing what was in style. ;D

Personally I would be shocked if anyone my age DIDN'T remember Paula Abdul, Full House, NES at its peak, tail end power ballads or Home Alone. Even if I might be deeper into, say 1985 better than some other '81ers would, they ought to know 1989-1991 with no problem.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/03/07 at 11:08 pm

I really can't pick out a specific year either. I've always loved 1980-1988 the best.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 11:08 pm

A really good but really hard question!  :D  For sure my favorite is something between 1971 and 1976 (inclusive).  I guess it's because I 'came of age' during this timeframe.  I'll make my pick, although it's a close call -

I pick 1974.

Here's a piece of trivia: did you know 1974 and 1975 tied for the largest number of Billboard #1 hits?  Obviously it's because fewer songs stayed at #1 week after week.  Many things can be read into that, but to me it implies that the competition at the top was fierce!  That to say there was some incredible music made in 1974.  The quality of rock, soul, and pop music was really excellent then.  Disco was very new, so it was fresh.  The technology was advanced a lot by then and put into use, but technology hadn't taken over the music as it would in later years.

That's why it's my pick.

Here's a few big hits in 1974 (not including minor hits and album cuts):

Band On The Run - McCartney/Wings
Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation
Rock On - David Essex
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
I Can Help - Billy Swann
(I've Been) Searchin' So Long - Chicago
Tin Man - America
Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - Gladys Knight & Pips

I'm surely missing some favorites, but I'll start with these...

Hi 'AmericanGirl' .... I take it by your name you were born in Russia?  ;) :D

Ok .. of the songs you've mentioned .... I really rate these (* next to)

Band On The Run - McCartney/Wings *
Rock The Boat - Hues Corporation*
Rock On - David Essex
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive*
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot*
For The Love Of Money - O'Jays*
I Can Help - Billy Swann
(I've Been) Searchin' So Long - Chicago*
You Make Me Feel Brand New - Stylistics*
Tin Man - America *
Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - Gladys Knight & Pips*

I know of all the other songs you've listed there, other than the Derringer/Preston songs. The one's not starred were ok I thought ... but less essential. I'm sure there's a lot of other songs I love from 1974/75 .... as I was living in the USA at the time ... hearing a lot of songs that probably never made the UK charts .. but found most to be very mellow / easy listening. For me, the early to mid 70s had better  music than the late 70's ... just like the early 80's were better than the late 80's (86 onwards).

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/03/07 at 11:29 pm

Obviously it's because fewer songs stayed at #1 week after week.  Many things can be read into that, but to me it implies that the competition at the top was fierce!

^ I think that can be interpreted whichever way you want to interpret it. For example, 1970 ... my fave year ... had  one of the lowest ever number of No.1's that year in the UK(just 14 No.1's). You could argue that there wasn't much competition/ the songs were crap. You could also say that when a song DID get to No.1 ... it was so memorable that it dominated its peers.

Songs like: 'In the Summertime' (7 Weeks at No.1); 'The Wonder of You' (6 weeks at No.1); 'Band of Gold' (6 weeks at No.1); 'I hear you knocking' (6 weeks at No.1); 'Love Grows Where my Rosemary Goes' (5 weeks at No.1); 'Bridge over Troubled Water' (3 weeks at No.1) ... a lot of those have stood the test of time/ acknowledged as 'classics' in every sense .. so you could say 'quality ... not quantity'.

When I looked through my chart book for the year 2000 .... I  see there were 42 (42!!! different No.1's...). I recognise less than a handful of those ... and I would argue that most of the tunes were eminently forgettable .... and that just about anything could get to No.1 that year because the public quickly lost interest in the preceding tune...

But I could be wrong!  ('Moi'  .. wrong?  ??? >:( ??? .... Never!  ;) :-X ;D  :D )).

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 11:36 pm

15 in 1982? Make that 5 .... duh! Wish I'd read/ absorbed my own post before posting   :-Actually I was 4.  I was listening to music right from the crib :D  Allow me to do a decade where I was slightly older ...

1985, I was 7 years old.  I wasn't old enough to go out and buy LPs or cassettes, but in that year, I did listen to the radio, and some great songs came from that year

My all-time favourite song ever came from this year.  It's a beautiful ballad called 'Close My Eyes' by Paul Janz.  Surprisingly it only reached #94 in the Canadian chart, but because of Canadian Content rules, it got all kinds of radio play, and still to this day, whenever I hear it, it takes me back to my childhood in the 80s when I had fun and not a worry in the world :)

A few other favourites from 1985 (available video for some of the Canadian ones) ...

♦ Invisible - Alison Moyet
♦ Day by Day - Doug and the Slugs
♦ Go to Pieces - Paul Janz
♦ Hang on to Your Love - Sade
♦ Shades of '45 - Gary O'
♦ Too Late For Goodbyes - Julian Lennon
♦ Rhythm of the Night - DeBarge
♦ What About Me - Belinda Metz
♦ Just Like You - FM
♦ In My House - Mary Jane Girls
♦ Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen
♦ Forever Young - Alphaville
♦ The Goonies 'R' Good Enough - Cyndi Lauper
♦ No More and No Less - Rational Youth
♦ Black Cars - Gino Vannelli
♦ All She Wants to Do is Dance - Don Henley
♦ Tokyo Rose - Idle Eyes
♦ Spanish Eddie - Laura Branigan
♦ Lonely Ol' Night - John Cougar Mellencamp
♦ Wave Babies - Honeymoon Suite
♦ We Built This City - Starship
♦ Lay Your Hands on Me - Thompson Twins
♦ Black Man Ray - China Crisis
♦ You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey
♦ Don't Lose My Number - Phil Collins
♦ Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
♦ At the Feet of the Moon - Parachute Club
♦ Love Has Remembered Me - April Wine
♦ St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr
♦ Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire - David Foster
♦ You Look Mahvelous - Billy Crystal
♦ Tenderness - General Public
♦ We Run - Strange Advance

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 12:23 am

^
Looks like you changed your year from 82 to 85 on the strength of that Paul Janz song.

Gotta say there's a few in that list I dont' recognise ..

Might be easier to list the one's I DO know I know ...

Invisible - Alison Moyet
Hang on to Your Love - Sade
Too Late For Goodbyes - Julian Lennon
Rhythm of the Night - DeBarge
We Built This City - Starship
Don't Lose My Number - Phil Collins
♦ Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr

I probably have the Thompson's twin song on mp3 ... but not too familiar with it.

But the 1985 songs I  love that you DIDn't mention ....  :-X :\'( :( :\'(

One more night~Phil Collins
Broken Wings~Mr. Mister (how could he leave that one out! (  >:( >:( >:( ;) ;D :D ).
That Certain Smile/ If I was~Midge Ure
I wanna know what love is~Foreigner
I know him so well~Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson
Move Closer~Phyllis Nelson
The Power of love~Jennifer Rush

;D 8)

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/07 at 12:30 am

But the 1985 songs I  love that you DIDn't mention ....  :-X :\'( :( :\'(

One more night~Phil Collins
Broken Wings~Mr. Mister (how could he leave that one out! (  >:( >:( >:( ;) ;D :D ).
That Certain Smile/ If I was~Midge Ure
I wanna know what love is~Foreigner
I know him so well~Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson
Move Closer~Phyllis Nelson
The Power of love~Jennifer Rush

;D 8)

That one Paul Janz song made me love all of 1985 :)

All good ones.  I love them all.  Over here, 'If I Was' and 'The Power of Love' were 1986 songs

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 12:51 am

That one Paul Janz song made me love all of 1985 :)

All good ones.  I love them all.  Over here, 'If I Was' and 'The Power of Love' were 1986 songs

Well, in the UK ... Broken Wings just snuck into 1985 ... making its first appearance 21 Dec, peaking at No.4, charting for 13 weeks. So most people over there probably think of that as a 1986 song as it would probably be just crawling up the chart the first week or two, into wider recognition.

If I was .. 1st charted 14 Sep 85, 11 weeks on chart, reaching No.1 for one week on Oct 5th .... (so it took a while to reach Canada!)

Even slower than ... from what you've said ... was Jennifer Rush's effort.

The Power of love: 1st charted June 29th ... 32  ...  :o .. yes .. that's right ... 32 frigging weeks on the chart  :o :o :o  ... a UK million seller ... and was at No.1 12 Oct for 5 weeks. So took quite a while  (16 weeks!!!) to climb to No.1 from its first appearance ... but once it got there ....

It was the biggest selling single by a woman there until Whitney Houston's 1992 hit 'I will always love you'

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/04/07 at 1:06 am

1971, 1973, 1974, 1975 all get honorable mention
I was a high school kid when some of my all time favorite music arrived, both Clasisc & Soft Rock  8)
these are most of my favorites from this year
Hit Singles

"Baby Blue" - Badfinger
"Take It Easy" - The Eagles
"Everything I Own" - Bread
"American Pie" - Don McLean
"Day After Day" - Badfinger
"Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young
"Old Man" - Neil Young
"Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes
"Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)" - Hollies
"Nights in White Satin" - The Moody Blues
"Rocket Man" - Elton John
School's Out - Alice cooper
"Summer Breeze" - Seals & Crofts
"Without You" - Harry Nilsson
"You Wear It Well" - Rod Stewart
"You're So Vain" - Carly Simon
"A Horse With No Name" - America
"America" - Simon and Garfunkel
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass

Grammy Album of the Year: The Concert for Bangla Desh

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 1:47 am

"Baby Blue" - Badfinger
"Take It Easy" - The Eagles
"Everything I Own" - Bread
"American Pie" - Don McLean
"Day After Day" - Badfinger
"Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young
"Old Man" - Neil Young
"Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes
"Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)" - Hollies
"Nights in White Satin" - The Moody Blues
"Rocket Man" - Elton John
School's Out - Alice cooper
"Summer Breeze" - Seals & Crofts
"Without You" - Harry Nilsson
"You Wear It Well" - Rod Stewart
"You're So Vain" - Carly Simon
"A Horse With No Name" - America
"America" - Simon and Garfunkel
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass

Hi Mike ... I'm just looking through your list.

I've never heard that'Baby Blue' song by Badfinger. They only ever had 3 chart appearances in the UK. Here's the info:

1970: Come and get it ...peak #4, 11 weeks on chart
1971: No matter what ...        #5, 12 weeks on chart
1972: Day after day ......          #10, 11 weeks on chart

Nights in White Satin also enjoyed its highest placing in the UK in 1972, although it had been originally released by the Moody Blues back in 1967 ... and appeared on the Days of Future Passed album that year too. I was a BIG fan of that group.... and have the excellent 'The Moody Blues: A night at red rocks with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra' DVD in my collection.

Of those other songs .... I know them all, other than 'America' (S&G).

I particularly rate: 'Without you'; 'Everything I own'; 'Heart of gold'; and 'Nights' from your selection although others are good too. .. except I quickly tired of 'American Pie' ... way too long for me. Much preferred his song 'Vincent'  .. which along with 'Crying' both got to No.1 in the UK for him (A. P. stalled at no.2).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/04/07 at 1:56 am

"Baby Blue" - Badfinger

Hi Mike ... I'm just looking through your list.

I've never heard that'Baby Blue' song by Badfinger. They only ever had 3 chart appearances in the UK. Here's the info:

1970: Come and get it ...peak #4, 11 weeks on chart
1971: No matter what ...         #5, 12 weeks on chart
1972: Day after day ......          #10, 11 weeks on chart

Nights in White Satin also enjoyed its highest placing in the UK in 1972, although it had been originally released by the Moody Blues back in 1967 ... and appeared on the Days of Future Passed album that year too. I was a BIG fan of that group.... and have the excellent 'The Moody Blues: A night at red rocks with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra' DVD in my collection.

Of those other songs .... I know them all, other than 'America' (S&G).

I particularly rate: 'Without you'; 'Everything I own'; 'Heart of gold'; and 'Nights' from your selection although others are good too. .. except I quickly tired of 'American Pie' ... way too long for me. Much preferred his song 'Vincent'  .. which along with 'Crying' both got to No.1 in the UK for him (A. P. stalled at no.2).

thanks for the info on the songs Al.   It is unusual that Nights In White Satin released 5 years before it became a hit. I remember it well in 72, it was on the radio all the time  :)   here's a good clip from youtube that Al-B sent me of the song Baby Blue which was also on the radio constantly & it's one of my all time very favorite songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_UqYTFZKg

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 2:04 am

Here are the top 30 of tnf (for those who can't be bothered to check the link ... where there's further info/ some mp3s/ other years).

My personal top 30 of this year
~  My personal 1992 chart:

Position / Title

Mp3

1: Dance track ~ TC, TC 1992, TC Berry (choose your favorite name...) - Funky guitar

2: Prince - Money don't matter tonight

3: Arrested Development - Tenessee

4: Dance track ~ Gat Decor - Passion

5: Rem - Drive

6: House of Pain - Jump around

7: Dance track ~ Dj Hell - My definition of house music

8: Dance track ~ MK - Burning (Vibe Mix)

9: Arrested Development - People everyday

10: Incognito - Don't you worry bout a thing

11: Dance track ~ Prodigy, The - Out of space

--> A couple of years ago (I guess from 2002 till 2004), this was my all time favorite track. But my musical taste has changed somewhat.

12: Dance track ~ Shawn Christopher - Don't loose the magic

13: Dance track ~ Sound Factory - Understand this groove

14: Vanessa Paradis - Be my baby

15: Dance track ~ Sil - Windows

16: Erna Franklin - Piece of my heart

17: Black Machine - How gee

18: Dance track - Slackjaw - Drive my body

19: Dance track ~ Sl2 - On a ragga tip

20: Dance track ~ Endangered Species - Ping pong

21: Dance track ~ Ce Ce Peniston - Finally

22: Dance track ~ Lil Louis - Saved my life

23: Dance track ~ Us3 - Cantaloop

24: Metallica - Nothing else matters

25: Jamestown feat. Jocelyn Brown - She got soul

26: Prince - My name is Prince

27: Dance track ~ Bizarre Inc - I'm gonna get you

28: Soul II Soul - Joy

29: Dance track ~ Fierce Ruling Diva - You gotta believe

30: Dance track ~ Sonic Solution - On the move

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/04/07 at 2:05 am

you are really into the track sounds/versions

Written By: tnf on 08/04/07 at 2:07 am

I removed my reply (had the feeling it wasn't very useful), but it's nice to see somebody put my personal 1992 list in this topic.  :)

I'm European and I like electronic music, there's much chance American people don't know most tracks. But you can give them a try.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 2:09 am

thanks for the info on the songs Al.  It is unusual that Nights In White Satin released 5 years before it became a hit. I remember it well in 72, it was on the radio all the time  :)  here's a good clip from youtube that Al-B sent me of the song Baby Blue which was also on the radio constantly & it's one of my all time very favorite songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_UqYTFZKg

Cheers Mike .. I'll check out your link.

Yes ... 'Nights' reached #19, 11 weeks on UK chart in 1967, re-appearing in 1972, peaking at No.9 (11 weeks), and had a further showing in 1979 ... no.14 , 12 weeks on chart.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/04/07 at 2:13 am

I removed my reply (had the feeling it wasn't very useful), but it's nice to see somebody put my personal 1992 list in this topic.  :)

I'm European and I like electronic music, there's much chance American people don't know most tracks. But you can give them a try.

perhaps someone may have found it useful. You should have left it there TNF but it's your post to do with as you wish.

Cheers Mike .. I'll check out your link.

Yes ... 'Nights' reached #19, 11 weeks on UK chart in 1967, re-appearing in 1972, peaking at No.9 (11 weeks), and had a further showing in 1979 ... no.14 , 12 weeks on chart.

cheers back, & I'll see you later

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 2:15 am

Don't quite understand why you removed your reply ....  :( :( ... oh well ... that's your right.

I'm European
^
Whilst it's true that most of the posters here are American/Canadian, with a few Aussies/Kiwis thrown into the mix .. there are quite a few Europeans here too, if you count the UK .. and Henk  a stalwart/ regular poster is from Holland.  Good to have input from around the globe!

Written By: DoctorFate on 08/04/07 at 3:54 am

Oh ... hello .. uhm ...  ;) 'Green Lantern' I've managed to track down the link from our shy European friend 'tnf' ... who's since deleted a post. Here it is:

http://www.wwzapper.com/x-favoritetracks1992.htm

^ That's better  ;D

Written By: tv on 08/04/07 at 5:21 pm

I liked the 1994-1996 period the best musically although the 80's were pretty good I mean 1983-1984 were pretty good too I think. Thats hard too pick a single year which id the best year for pop music.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/07 at 8:33 pm

Even slower than ... from what you've said ... was Jennifer Rush's effort.

Here's a bit of trivia about 'The Power of Love'.  Air Supply's cover version was the first to chart in the US and Canada (Late 1985 / early 1986).  Jennifer's original followed into the chart in 1986 and in 1987, Laura Branigan became the first to take it into the US Top 40.  Celine Dion's 90s version topped the US and Canadian chart

In Canada, Jennifer's version was the biggest selling single of 1986 ...

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 9:47 pm

Here's a bit of trivia about 'The Power of Love'.  Air Supply's cover version was the first to chart in the US and Canada (Late 1985 / early 1986).  Jennifer's original followed into the chart in 1986 and in 1987, Laura Branigan became the first to take it into the US Top 40.  Celine Dion's 90s version topped the US and Canadian chart

In Canada, Jennifer's version was the biggest selling single of 1986 ...

Hmm .. I wonder if that Air Supply version was a reason for the long delay of Jennifer's appearance? It's not on the greatest hits CD of mine ... didn't know they'd done a version. I've heard Celine's version ... which sound 'stagey' by comparison to Jennifer's powerhouse, passion filled rendition .. and that for me will remain the 'definitive' version!

In the UK, it was the ONLY million seller of 1985 ... which makes it the biggest seller there too .... for 1985.

Interesting attachment Jason ... would you be able to provide one for your nominated year of 1985 ... and mine ... 1970?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/07 at 11:27 pm

The apex of New Wave & Synth Pop

The only year in which I liked the majority of songs on the American Top 40!

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/04/07 at 11:41 pm

The apex of New Wave & Synth Pop

The only year in which I liked the majority of songs on the American Top 40!

24 years ago ... and you're 38 ... so around 14 then?

Mike (Badfinger-fan) is 51 ... went for 1972 ... born in 1956 .. turned 16 in Feb that year (thanks for your message Mike) ...

.... so my 'rule of thumb' theory that your favourite year will tend to be when you were 14-18 (guys)  DOES have SOME support ....  I also read through some of 'Jersey Bwoy's old posts .. he said when he was 18 was the year music wise ... still  as we've seen ... some exceptions!

Oh, and yes 'Maxwell' .. I liked a LOT of music from that year too!  8)

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/07 at 12:04 am

Interesting attachment Jason ... would you be able to provide one for your nominated year of 1985 ... and mine ... 1970?

You bet :)

Here are the Top 100 singles in Canada for 1970 and 1985

(click either to enlarge)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/Top1970.gif  http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/Top1985.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 12:48 am

24 years ago ... and you're 38 ... so around 14 then?

Mike (Badfinger-fan) is 51 ... went for 1972 ... born in 1956 .. turned 16 in Feb that year (thanks for your message Mike) ...

.... so my 'rule of thumb' theory that your favourite year will tend to be when you were 14-18 (guys)  DOES have SOME support ....  I also read through some of 'Jersey Bwoy's old posts .. he said when he was 18 was the year music wise ... still  as we've seen ... some exceptions!

Oh, and yes 'Maxwell' .. I liked a LOT of music from that year too!  8)
brilliant work there Al.  :)  your rule of thumb has some serious weight to it. very interesting stuff

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/05/07 at 1:24 am

Hey! Thanks for that Jason.  :) 8)

I'm just reading through that 70's one (first) ... and some feedback

Wow! Interesting some of the stuff that made it that I've never heard of, or by artists I know but not the song ...

e.g George Harrison ..'Isn't it a pity' .. well maybe I have heard it once or twice ... but look at that ... the 14th biggest song of that year, yet it never charted in Britain! Maybe never released there ... just like (I believe) 'Yesterday' by the Beatles wasn't  ..until years after they broke up (1976 in UK .. 6 years after their split). On that subject ... for some bizarre reason 'How can you mend a broken heart' which went to No.1 in the USA in 1971 .. becoming their biggest hit at that time .. was never released in the UK!

Anyway... back to some comments on  that chart ..

'As years go by' .. the Marianne Faithful song? ..although thats 'tears' .. could it be a typo? Dont' know the band who had the hit, though.

'Without love' ... I really wanted to include this in that list. It's one of my all time favourites by Tom Jones.... a very demanding song vocally .. which he pulls off magnificently. I got a great 'youtube' video of him singing this one .. which appears to be live. Wow. But unfortunately even though this song was on the charts in early 1970, it first appeared in late '69 .. so by my own rules .. I had to leave it off.

Candida ... ah yes ... possibly my favourite Dawn song .. have sung it at karaoke .. but didn't chart UK till '71.

Indiana wants me .. again a hit in 71. Got to no.2. Think he may have been the first white artist to Motown? I think he was white ... Anyhow I've just seen he had another Top10 in UK  that I don't know ...There's a ghost in my house ... also .. I didn't know he was from Canada.

25 or 6 to 4 ... a fave.. but unfortunately the much punchier/ shorter single (that I heard on the radio WHY do they frustrate you  like this .. I've yet to track down) ... they have an extended version on greatest hits / limewire generally

Jingle Jangle~Archies ... don't know it. They were one hit wonders in the UK with Sugar Sugar.. got to No. 1 with that one .. but in 1969. As it was there for 26 weeks (!) it was also around in 1970.

Spill the wine ...... wow I like that one ... but didn't know it came out then. It didn't chart in the UK .. (yes their taste is surprisingly poor at times .. why that's a non -charter .. yet the likes of 'long haired lover from Liverpool' gets to No. 1 there .... I disown my fellow countrymen on those occasions!

Julie do ya love me? White Plains in the UK.

Gypsy Woman ... not a hit till '71 in the UK ... and pathetically, could only reach no.45 .. one of my all time favourites!

I'll never fall in love again
... Dionne Warwick did not chart with that in the UK. . instead .. it was a hit for Bobby Gentry, in '69 .. reaching No.1 .. yet somehow in her own country .. the USA .. her version did not make the top 100!

Hey there lonely girl~Eddie Holman ... that single didn't chart in the UK until 1974(!) ..reaching no.4

He ain't heavy he's my brother~Neil Diamond. Never charted for Neil in the UK. Had been a hit for the Hollies in 1969 .. seems Elton John played piano on that one (not that I hear any piano though!). Got to No.3 for them, 15 weeks on chart. I have to say I far and away prefer their version to Neil's. Their version was used in a 'Miller Lite' ad in 1988 ... which helped it to a reincarnation ..and it went to No.1 .. which at the time made it the longest time (23 years) that a British act had had since their last no.1 (I'm alive, back in 1965).

Woodstock~CSNY .. didn't chart with their version in the UK. I love the one hit wonder version that did though ... Matthews Southern Comfort .. No.1 for 3 weeks

Someday we'll be together .. '69 in the UK.

Ain't no mountain
.. surprised it's so low in that chart. It made no.1 in the USA, got to No. 6 UK, 12 weeks on chart. Surprisinly, her first solo No.1 (four four weeks) was one year later with 'I'm still waiting'. Seems it got released because a local DJ (Tony Blackburn) raved to the record company about it!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 1:57 am

I found a neat website that has a bunch of Classic Rock info  and after posting in and reading the posts from this thread, I was especially interested in this section from that site about  Top 5 Summers of Classic Rock

Top 5 Summers of Classic Rock

1967 - Summer of Love
1969 - Summer of Woodstock
1970 - Summer of Discontent
1972 - Summer of Transition**** my chosen year  8)    "The summer of '72 saw the debut albums of groups that would go on to define rock for the rest of the decade and beyond."
1976 - Summer of Platinum

while I don't want to direct people there and take away from inthe00s postwhorage, it has a plethora of rock info that can be used and posted here  8)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/05/07 at 2:06 am

^
Hmm ... looks well worth a visit .. I'll check it out sometime!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 2:08 am

^
Hmm ... looks well worth a visit .. I'll check it out sometime!
http://classicrock.about.com/ 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 2:11 am

as I mentioned my favorite year and songs, I find it so amazing that the more I delve into that year or any year for that matter, more good music that I didn't remember at the time, is revealed, especially albums that were released like Machine Head - Deep Purple, what a wonderful piece of work that was/is.

Written By: fusefan on 08/05/07 at 2:21 am

I don't have an exact year as my favorite but i say the 60s and 70s are the best.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/05/07 at 3:11 am

Generally speaking, I like the music between 1982 and 1996 the best. Basically about my first 14 years. This point seemed to get lost in the shuffle before.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/05/07 at 9:59 am

... something between 1971 and 1976 (inclusive) ... I 'came of age' during this timeframe ...
I pick 1974.

BTW did I mention that I turned 14 in early '74?  ::)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/05/07 at 10:07 am

I found a neat website that has a bunch of Classic Rock info  and after posting in and reading the posts from this thread, I was especially interested in this section from that site about  Top 5 Summers of Classic Rock

Top 5 Summers of Classic Rock

1967 - Summer of Love
1969 - Summer of Woodstock
1970 - Summer of Discontent
1972 - Summer of Transition**** my chosen year  8)    "The summer of '72 saw the debut albums of groups that would go on to define rock for the rest of the decade and beyond."
1976 - Summer of Platinum

while I don't want to direct people there and take away from inthe00s postwhorage, it has a plethora of rock info that can be used and posted here  8)

That's a cool website, Badfinger-fan.  Thanks for the link!  :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/05/07 at 12:22 pm

as I mentioned my favorite year and songs, I find it so amazing that the more I delve into that year or any year for that matter, more good music that I didn't remember at the time, is revealed, especially albums that were released like Machine Head - Deep Purple, what a wonderful piece of work that was/is.

I didn't remember that great album being from THAT early .. thought it might have been 73 or 74 even. Certainly, it was getting played a lot in 74 on radio and at parties I went to in the U.S. Yes, though ... 72 it is.

Other great albums they did around the time were 'Fireball' and 'Who do we think we are'.

Yes .. that's how I like my 'heavy music' ... with heaps of melody!

I'm a HIGHWAY STAR!!!  (let it rip!)  :o

8) :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/05/07 at 3:21 pm

That's a cool website, Badfinger-fan.  Thanks for the link!   :)
you're welcome

I didn't remember that great album being from THAT early .. thought it might have been 73 or 74 even. Certainly, it was getting played a lot in 74 on radio and at parties I went to in the U.S. Yes, though ... 72 it is.

Other great albums they did around the time were 'Fireball' and 'Who do we think we are'.

Yes .. that's how I like my 'heavy music' ... with heaps of melody!

I'm a HIGHWAY STAR!!!  (let it rip!)   :o

8) :)

I remember when I first heard the organ intro for Lazy, and how I thought it was simply incredible, just a great song from beginning to end.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/06/07 at 12:00 pm

Probably either 1984 or 1994

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/07/07 at 2:54 pm

I pick 1974.

Here's a piece of trivia: did you know 1974 and 1975 tied for the largest number of Billboard #1 hits?  Obviously it's because fewer songs stayed at #1 week after week.  Many things can be read into that, but to me it implies that the competition at the top was fierce!  That to say there was some incredible music made in 1974.  The quality of rock, soul, and pop music was really excellent then.  Disco was very new, so it was fresh.  The technology was advanced a lot by then and put into use, but technology hadn't taken over the music as it would in later years.

That's why it's my pick.

1974 was indeed a very good year for music!  8)

Two excellent R&B/Soul classics, but don't forget...

'When Will I See You Again' by The Three Degrees  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/09/07 at 1:10 pm

Me neither, mainly because I'm a fan of the alt. rock era. Too hard to pick a year. Maybe a 2-3 year range, but not a single year.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/10/07 at 1:04 am

1974 was indeed a very good year for music!  8)

Two excellent R&B/Soul classics, but don't forget...

'When Will I See You Again' by The Three Degrees  :)

I agree with you ... that song was very haunting to me too at the time. I found this list from another site .. purporting to be the hits of '74 ... their research doesn't look too hot

..since the above song they have as for '75 (we both know that's wrong). Still, I think most of these are right, otherwise they might be from '73 but still on chart in '74 ...

Top 100 Hits of 1974 / Top 100 Songs of 1974
1. The Way We Were, Barbra Streisand
2. Seasons In The Sun, Terry Jacks 
3. Love's Theme, Love Unlimited Orchestra
4. Come And Get Your Love, Redbone
5. Dancing Machine, Jackson 5
6. The Loco-Motion, Grand Funk Railroad
7. TSOP, MFSB
8. The Streak, Ray Stevens
9. Bennie And The Jets, Elton John
10. One Hell Of A Woman, Mac Davis
11. Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do), Aretha Franklin
12. Jungle Boogie, Kool and The Gang
13. Midnight At The Oasis, Maria Muldaur
14. You Make Me Feel Brand New, Stylistics
15. Show And Tell, Al Wilson
16. Spiders And Snakes, Jim Stafford
17. Rock On, David Essex
18. Sunshine On My Shoulder, John Denver
19. Sideshow, Blue Magic
20. Hooked On A Feeling, Blue Swede
21. Billy Don't Be A Hero, Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods
22. Band On The Run, Paul McCartney and Wings
23. The Most Beautiful Girl, Charlie Rich
24. Time In A Bottle, Jim Croce
25. Annie's Song, John Denver
26. Let Me Be There, Olivia Newton-John
27. Sundown, Gordon Lightfoot
28. (You're) Having My Baby, Paul Anka
29. Rock Me Gently, Andy Kim
30. Boogie Down, Eddie Kendricks
31. You're Sixteen, Ringo Starr
32. If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Olivia Newton-John
33. Dark Lady, Cher
34. Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me, Gladys Knight and The Pips
35. Feel Like Makin' Love, Roberta Flack
36. Just Dont Want To Be Lonely, Main Ingredient
37. Nothing From Nothing, Billy Preston
38. Rock Your Baby, George McCrae
39. Top Of The World, Carpenters
40. The Joker, Steve Miller Band
41. I've Got To Use My Imagination, Gladys Knight and The Pips
42. The Show Must Go On, Three Dog Night
43. Rock The Boat, Hues Corporation
44. Smokin' In The Boys Room, Brownsville Station
45. Living For The City, Stevie Wonder
46. The Night Chicago Died, Paper Lace
47. Then Came You, Dionne Warwick and The Spinners
48. The Entertainer, Marvin Hamlisch
49. Waterloo, Abba
50. The Air That I Breathe, Hollies
51. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Steely Dan
52. Mockingbird, Carly Simon
53. Help Me, Joni Mitchell
54. You Won't See Me, Anne Murray
55. Never, Never Gonna Give You Up, Barry White
56. Tell Me Something Good, Rufus
57. You And Me Against The World, Helen Reddy
58. Rock And Roll Heaven, Righteous Brothers
59. Hollywood Swinging, Kool and The Gang
60. Be Thankful For What You Got, William Devaughn
61. Hang On In There Baby, Johnny Bristol
62. Eres Tu (Touch The Wind), Mocedades
63. Taking Care Of Business, Bachman-Turner Overdrive
64. Radar Love, Golden Earring
65. Please Come To Boston, Dave Loggins
66. Keep On Smilin', Wet Willie
67. Lookin' For Love, Bobby Womack
68. Put Your Hands Together, O'Jays
69. On And On, Gladys Knight and The Pips
70. Oh Very Young, Cat Stevens
71. Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress), Helen Reddy
72. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
73. I've Been Searchin' So Long, Chicago
74. Oh My My, Ringo Starr
75. For The Love Of Money, O'Jays
76. I Shot The Sherrif, Eric Clapton
77. Jet, Paul McCartney and Wings
78. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Elton John
79. Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield
80. Love Song, Anne Murray
81. I'm Leaving It All Up To You, Donny and Marie Osmond
82. Hello, It's Me, Todd Rundgren
83. I Love, Tom T. Hall
84. Clap For The Wolfman, The Guess Who
85. I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song, Jim Croce
85. The Lord's Prayer, Sister Janet Mead
87. Trying To Hold On To My Woman, Lamont Dozier
88. Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing, Stevie Wonder
89. A Very Special Love Song, Charlie Rich
90. My Girl Bill, Jim Stafford
91. My Mistake Was To Love You, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye
91. Helen Wheels, Paul McCartney and Wings
93. Wildwood Weed, Jim Stafford
94. Beach Baby, First Class
95. Me And Baby Brother, War
96. Rockin' Roll Baby, Stylistics
97. I Honestly Love You, Olivia Newton-John
98. Call On Me, Chicago
99. Wild Thing, Fancy
100. Mighty Love, Pt. 1, Spinners
Return to Music Resources Page
Music Outfitters®
Home | Independent Music | Ethnic Musical Instruments

The following site's list looks more accurate:

Here they are, the absolutely greatest hits from the history of popular music in the USA.
The very best music.
The Time is 1974

Abba - Waterloo - 07-74 - Atlantic
America -Tin Man - 11-74 - Warner
Paul Anka & Odia Coates - (You're) Having My Baby - 08-74 - UA
B.T. Express - Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) - 11-74 - Roadshow
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Takin' Care Of Business - 08-74 - Mercury
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - 10-74 - Mercury
Bad Company - Can't Get Enough - 10-74 - Swan Song
Blue Magic - Sideshow - 07-74 - Atco
Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling - 03-74 - EMI
Blue Swede - Never My Love - 10-74 - EMI
Johnny Bristol - Hang On In There Baby - 09-74 - MGM
Carl Carlton - Everlasting Love - 11-74 - ABC
The Carpenters - I Won't Last A Day Without You - 05-74 - A&M
The Carpenters - Please Mr. Postman - 12-74 - A&M
Harry Chapin - Cat's In The Cradle - 11-74 - Elektra
Cheech & Chong - Earache My Eye - Feat. Alice Bowie - Ode
Cher - Dark Lady - 03-74 - MCA
Chicago - Call On Me - 08-74 - Columbia
Chicago - (I've Been) Searchin' So Long - 04-74 - Columbia
Chicago - Wishing You Were Here - 12-74 - Columbia
Eric Clapton - I Shot The Sheriff - 08-74 - RSO
Jim Croce - I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song - 04-74 - ABC
Mac Davis - One Hell Of A Woman - 07-74 - Columbia
Mac Davis - Stop And Smell The Roses - 10-74 - Columbia
Kiki Dee - I've Got The Music In Me - 11-74 - Rocket
John Denver - Annie's Song - 07-74 - RCA
John Denver - Back Home Again - 11-74 - RCA
John Denver - Sunshine On My Shoulders - 03-74 - RCA
William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You Got - 06-74 - Roxbury
Neil Diamond - Longfellow Serenade - 11-74 - Columbia
Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods - Billy, Don't Be A Hero - 06-74 - ABC
Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods - Who Do You Think You Are - 09-74 - ABC
Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting - 11-74 - 20th Century
Lamont Dozier - Trying To Hold On To My Woman - 03-74 - ABC
David Essex - Rock On - 02-74 - Columbia
First Class - Beach Baby - 09-74 - UK
Roberta Flack - Feel Like Makin' Love - 07-74 - Atlantic
Aretha Franklin - Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) - 01-74 - Atlantic
Golden Earring - Radar Love - 07-74 - Track
Grand Funk Railroad - Shinin' On - 08-74 - Capitol
Grand Funk Railroad - The Loco-Motion - 04-74 - Capitol
Al Green - Sha-La-La (Make Me Happy) - 12-74 - Hi
The Guess Who - Clap For The Wolfman - 09-74 - RCA
Tom T. Hall - I Love - 02-74 - Mercury
Marvin Hamlisch - The Entertainer - 05-74 - MCA
The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe - 07-74 - Epic
Hues Corporation - Rock The Boat - 06-74 - RCA
The J. Geils Band - Must Of Got Lost - 12-74 -Atlantic
Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun - 02-74 - Bell
The Jackson Five - Dancing Machine - 04-74 - Motown
Elton John - Bennie And The Jets - 03-74 - MCA
Elton John - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - 07-74 - MCA
Elton John - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - 12-74 - MCA
Elton John - The Bitch Is Back - 10-74 - MCA
Eddie Kendricks - Boogie Down - 02-74 - Tamla
Andy Kim - Rock Me Gently - 08-74 - Capitol
Carole King - Jazzman - 10-74 - Ode
Gladys Knight & The Pips - I've Got To Use My Imagination - 01-74 - Buddah
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - 04-74 - Buddah
Gladys Knight & The Pips - On And On - 07-74 - Buddah
Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging - 06-74 - De-Lite
Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie - 02-74 - De-Lite
John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band - 11-74 - Apple
Gordon Lightfoot - Carefree Highway - 11-74 - Reprise
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown - 06-74 - Reprise
Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston - 07-74 - Epic
The Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme - 01-74 - 20th Century
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama - 09-74 - MCA
Byron MacGregor - Americans - 01-74 - Westbound
The Main Ingredient - Just Don't Want To Be Lonely - 04-74 - RCA
Barry Manilow - Mandy - 12-74 - Bell
Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run - 05-74 - Apple
Paul McCartney & Wings - Helen Wheels - 01-74 - Apple
Paul McCartney & Wings - Jet - 03-74 - Apple
Paul McCartney & Wings - Junior's Farm/Sally G - 12-74 - Apple
George McCrae - Rock Your Baby - 06-74 - TK
Sister Janet Mead - The Lord's Prayer - 03-74 - A&M
MFSB - TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) - 04-74 - Philly International
The Miracles - Do It Baby - 10-74 - Tamla
Joni Mitchell - Help Me - 05-74 - Asylum
Mocedades - Eres Tu (Touch The Wind) - 03-74 - Tara
Maria Muldaur - Midnight At The Oasis - 05-74 - Reprise
Anne Murray - A Love Song - 03-74 - Capitol
Anne Murray - You Won't See Me - 06-74 - Capitol
Olivia Newton-John - I Honestly Love You - 09-74 - MCA
Olivia Newton-John - If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - 06-74 - MCA
Olivia Newton-John - Let Me Be There - 01-74 - MCA
The O'Jays - For The Love Of Money - 06-74 - Philly International
The O'Jays - Put Your Hands Together - 02-74 - Philly International
The Ohio Players - Skin Tight - 10-74 - Mercury
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - 04-74 - Virgin
Donny Osmond - When I Fall In Love - 01-74 - MGM
Donny & Marie Osmond - I'm Leaving It (All) Up To You - 08-74 - MGM
The Osmonds - Love Me For A Reason - 10-74 - MGM
Tony Orlando & Dawn - Steppin' Out (Gonna Boogie Tonight) - 10-74 - Bell
Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died - 08-74 - Mercury
The Pointer Sisters - Fairytale - 12-74 - Blue Thumb
Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing - 09-74 - A&M
Redbone - Come And Get Your Love - 03-74 - Epic
Helen Reddy - Angie Baby - 12-74 - Capitol
Helen Reddy - You And Me Against The World - 08-74 - Capitol
Reunion - Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me) -11-74 - RCA
Charlie Rich - A Very Special Love Song - 04-74 - Epic
The Righteous Brothers - Rock And Roll Heaven - 07-74 - Haven
The Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - 02-74 - Rolling Stone
The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (ButI Like It) - 09-74 - Rolling Stone
Rufus - Tell Me Something Good - 04-74 - ABC
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan - You Got The Love - 12-74 - ABC
Neil Sedaka - Laughter In The Rain - 12-74 - Rocket
Carly Simon & James Taylor - Mockingbird - 03-74 - Elektra
Jim Stafford - My Girl Bill - 06-74 - MGM
Jim Stafford - Spiders & Snakes - 02-74 - MGM
Jim Stafford - Wildwood Weed - 08-74 - MGM
Ringo Starr - Oh My My - 04-74 - Apple
Ringo Starr - Only You - 12-74 - Apple
Ringo Starr - You're Sixteen - 01-74 - Apple
Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number - 07-74 - ABC
Cat Stevens - Another Saturday Night - 09-74 - A&M
Cat Stevens - Oh Very Young - 05-74 - A&M
Ray Stevens - The Streak - 05-74 - Barnaby
Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were - 01-74 - Columbia
The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New - 05-74 - Avco
Billy Swan - I Can Help - 11-74 - Monument
The Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again - 11-74 - Philly International
Three Dog Night - The Show Must Go On - 04-74 - Dunhill
The Tymes - You Little Trustmaker - 10-74 - RCA
Bobby Vinton - My Melody Of Love - 11-74 - ABC
War - Me And My Baby Brother - 01-74 - UA
Dionne Warwick - Then Came You - 09-74 - Warner
Jim Weatherly - The Need To Be - 11-74 - Buddah
Wet Willie - Keep On Smilin' - 08-74 - Capricorn
Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - 09-74 - 20th Century
Barry White - You're The First, The Last, My Everything - 12-74 - 20th Century
Bobby Womack - Lookin' For A Love - 04-74 - UA
Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman - 12-74 - Tamla
Stevie Wonder - You Haven't Done Nothin - 09-74 - Tamla

Check for new replies or respond here...