» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Landmark performance for Les Misérables

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/07 at 3:06 am

A huge success worldwide, the London production of Les Misérables will mark a landmark event on Friday 10th August 2007 when it celebrates its 9,000th performance.

This West End phenomenon first hit the stage at the Barbican Theatre on October 8th 1985. It transfered to the Palace Theatre on 4th December 1985 before moving to its current home at the Queen's Theatre on 3rd April 2004 and is currently booking until 27th September 2008.

On October 6th 2006, Les Misérables celebrated its 21st London anniversary. One of the world's most popular musicals, the show has been seen in 38 different countries across the world by over 58 million people, translated into 21 different languages and has a total of 33 different cast recordings made available.

Les Misérables is set in the Parisian underground during the time of the French Revolution. When Jean Valjean is released from a 19 year prison sentence for stealing a loaf of bread he is determined to put his criminal past behind him. though his attempts to drag himself out of the gutter are constantly thwarted by his conscience.

Subject: Re: Landmark performance for Les Misérables

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/10/07 at 8:19 am

I saw this musical when it came to Pittsburgh, Pa. It was really good!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/07 at 8:30 am

I have still yet to see this musical, and I am talking to my son about going to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/07 at 11:39 am

I haven't seen it on stage but I have seen the video/DVD of Les Mis in Concert (which originally was from Great Performances on PBS). It was filmed live and was an OUTSTANDING show. After the show, they bought out I think it was 17 guys who has played Jean Valjean around the world. They started singing "Do You Hear The People Sing" each in their own language. It was WAY COOL!!! I think the video has spoiled me because I can't imagine any stage production could be any better than that performance. If you haven't seen this video, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Cat

Written By: woops on 08/11/07 at 4:42 pm

Deborah Gibson played Eponine in 1992

http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/les_miserables/miznews.jpg

The song "On My Own" is on her "Colored Lights" CD

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/07 at 10:08 pm

The role that made her a star 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/07 at 1:14 am

Is there anyway of reading the review, the print is small?

Written By: woops on 08/12/07 at 1:35 am

Here's the review

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/07 at 1:46 am

Here's the review
It is still hard to read, is it available in text form?

Written By: woops on 08/12/07 at 2:07 am

No

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/12/07 at 2:17 am

9000th show? fantastic!!  I took Diane & Julie to see it about 4 years ago in San Francisco for Dianes birthday. it was wonderful. I think that may have been the 6,683rd performance we saw  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...