» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Fashion and Compassion

Written By: beauty4life on 08/12/07 at 11:44 pm

When reading the title to my post, perhaps you are wondering what compassion has to do with fashion. Such a question is not surprising, since the way we dress is not usually considered a virtue. When we think of virtue, perhaps the super-spiritual monk or nun, preoccupied with dressing as boring as possible, comes to mind. However, as a Christian making sense of the ever-changing fashions of our world, I am about to suggest that God does not model the boring and uninteresting when it comes to fashion.

Right now, I happen to be looking through my cabin window at Catalina Island. The ocean’s rich color is accompanied by the sounds of sea-gulls, the distant sounds of fishing boats and the crashing waves. I feel like I am in paradise as I wait for the sun to set. In such moments, I am reminded that God has “clothed” the world, if you will, with color and design. He has dressed the earth with beauty.

As human beings, we live in the midst of this beauty and we contribute to it. Fashion is our way of keeping in line with what is around us. We beautify ourselves. Yet, perhaps in such a discussion it is quite appropriate to mention that though we see beauty on the earth, there is also great “ugliness” too. I can live on a beautiful island and try to forget the fact that too many people live without clothing, food or shelter, but such a lifestyle would be selfish and very “unbeautiful.”

Although fashion is our contribution to a beautiful world, giving us the ability to enjoy life, we must also learn to “dress” the earth with kindness and compassion. Yet, although I am not suggesting that we become monks and nuns, such extraordinary lives, like Mother Theresa, still speaks. Although she dressed in black, she reminded us that fashion becomes useless to all life, when we are only clothing selfish and ugly souls. Yes, we need our beautiful sunsets and we need fashion, but it must hold hands with kindness and compassion so that we can spread the joy of life throughout the earth.

Subject: Re: Fashion and Compassion

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/07 at 10:20 pm

Huh?
???

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 10:24 pm

It makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately we don't appear to be sensible :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/14/07 at 10:42 am

If there were a god, I'm sure she would see the beauty in a pair of Jimmy Choos, and after all, they certainly would make my world a better place.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/14/07 at 11:23 am

Sounds like an intro for a book.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/07 at 10:18 pm

It makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately we don't appear to be sensible :D

Whad'ya mean "we"?  You got a mouse in your pocket?
???

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 10:19 pm

???

No, I'm just glad to see ya ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/14/07 at 10:27 pm

When reading the title to my post, perhaps you are wondering what compassion has to do with fashion. Such a question is not surprising, since the way we dress is not usually considered a virtue. When we think of virtue, perhaps the super-spiritual monk or nun, preoccupied with dressing as boring as possible, comes to mind. However, as a Christian making sense of the ever-changing fashions of our world, I am about to suggest that God does not model the boring and uninteresting when it comes to fashion.

Right now, I happen to be looking through my cabin window at Catalina Island. The ocean’s rich color is accompanied by the sounds of sea-gulls, the distant sounds of fishing boats and the crashing waves. I feel like I am in paradise as I wait for the sun to set. In such moments, I am reminded that God has “clothed” the world, if you will, with color and design. He has dressed the earth with beauty.

As human beings, we live in the midst of this beauty and we contribute to it. Fashion is our way of keeping in line with what is around us. We beautify ourselves. Yet, perhaps in such a discussion it is quite appropriate to mention that though we see beauty on the earth, there is also great “ugliness” too. I can live on a beautiful island and try to forget the fact that too many people live without clothing, food or shelter, but such a lifestyle would be selfish and very “unbeautiful.”

Although fashion is our contribution to a beautiful world, giving us the ability to enjoy life, we must also learn to “dress” the earth with kindness and compassion. Yet, although I am not suggesting that we become monks and nuns, such extraordinary lives, like Mother Theresa, still speaks. Although she dressed in black, she reminded us that fashion becomes useless to all life, when we are only clothing selfish and ugly souls. Yes, we need our beautiful sunsets and we need fashion, but it must hold hands with kindness and compassion so that we can spread the joy of life throughout the earth.

A most wonderful example of a combination of Philosophy and pure shallowness.  Paris Hilton would be proud. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/07 at 10:41 pm

A most wonderful example of a combination of Philosophy and pure shallowness.  Paris Hilton would be proud. :P

And now....

DEEP THOUGHTS

By Jack Handie

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/17/07 at 12:05 am

Or are you just, no, no, no, even I ain't going there!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/07 at 7:28 pm

And now....

DEEP THOUGHTS

By Jack Handie

Ooh, John. You look so good. So do I.

Way down deep, you're shallow
Superficial to the core
Beneath your surface, there's just more surface
And beneath that, even more

You've never had a deep thought
And I hope you never do
You're all I need
You're just my speed
I'm even shallower than you

Yes, you are.

You're not an iceberg, just a tip
So you can't rip the bottom off my ship

I feel so safe when you are nearby
Because I know there's less to you than meets the eye

And though you're oh so shallow
Truly dumb and kind of grazed

Compared to me, you're like some PHD
I'm so shallow that I'm slightly razed
Slightly razed

(The deeper you go, the less you will find)

Way down deep, we're shallow
Hollow as an old guitar

And considering that we're * so empty
It's amazing how full of it we are

At heart
At heart
We're both
We're both
So heartless
Yet we've pledged our hearts forever more

And we're sincere
Right down to our venier {sp}

Deep down we're shallow to the core

Deep down we're shallow
To the core

(this pool has no deep end; no lifeguard is needed)
(the island is lovely, but nobody lives there)

Cat

Written By: Marian on 08/19/07 at 3:22 pm

so clothes you get from a dumpster are just as good as store bout ones?

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 7:50 pm

GOD is both man and woman God had kids all alone you don't hear about a misses GOD

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/27/07 at 7:52 am

GOD is both man and woman God had kids all alone you don't hear about a misses GOD
???

Written By: Tam on 08/27/07 at 12:52 pm

I am just as lost as the next person

Written By: Tia on 08/27/07 at 1:19 pm

i dunno, i kinda liked it. then again, i’m the big paris hilton defender around here too.

she (?), the poster, seems to be mulling over the fact that god has created a many-splendored creation and yet those who worship god (the christian god, yeah?) often mortify the flesh, exercise self-control in their appearance and so forth. so i guess the question is, how do you conjure the splendor of creation in the context of worship? and if you do, how do you do it so that you don’t wind up just indulging yourself and your own vanity?

but the thing is, if priests and nuns dress sparingly, bishops and popes dress very opulently, and so much of worship historically has been very ornate, it seems to usually be one extreme or the other... consider the simplicity of the gregorian chant vs. the immense complexity of a bach fugue, the first i think being caught up in the humility of mortal worship, the latter an attempt to re-create holy splendor in the context of a very ostentatious style of worship.

i dunno, made sense to me.

Written By: Tia on 08/27/07 at 1:33 pm

i'm also inclined to be nice to anyone who lives on catalina island in case i'm ever out that way... :) one of my favorite mystery science theater episodes is set in catalina, and by astonishing coincidence, god figures awfully highly in it...

http://www.sfdebris.com/mst204.html

Episode Rating: 2 stars
Plot: Trouble in Catalina when somebody does something involving some damn scroll and there's a lot of scuba diving and dancing and, aw hell, you figure it out.

Opening: Crow and Servo say their prayers. "When you've got a job like ours you have to believe in a higher power." Grudgingly, the two pray "God bless Tweeky."
Invention exchange: The mads invent Tank Tops, with real tank turrets. "The best beach party ever was the one at Normandy." Joel creates the Ticklebazooka.
Host segment 1: Joel reflects on the Sixties. "Toys had metal edges and little pieces that were breakable and would fit in your mouth! They would take and make playground equipment out of stainless steel, then haul it up onto asphalt where you could get hurt!"
Host segment 2: Tom sings about Creepy Girl while Joel and Crow dance.
Host segment 3: Frank throws a bizarre tupperware-style party. Dr. Forrester: "You have a lot to learn about being a mad scientist."
End: Crow questions the premise of the film. Tom tries singing again. Joel tries to explain the plot, it descends into chaos, and he bangs them over the head with his chart. They read a letter and Tom starts singing again.
Stinger: None

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/27/07 at 5:14 pm

^^
I'm with you,i think beauty4life should come back and baffles us again!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/07 at 5:23 pm

i'm also inclined to be nice to anyone who lives on catalina island in case i'm ever out that way... :) one of my favorite mystery science theater episodes is set in catalina, and by astonishing coincidence, god figures awfully highly in it...

http://www.sfdebris.com/mst204.html

Episode Rating: 2 stars
Plot: Trouble in Catalina when somebody does something involving some damn scroll and there's a lot of scuba diving and dancing and, aw hell, you figure it out.

Opening: Crow and Servo say their prayers. "When you've got a job like ours you have to believe in a higher power." Grudgingly, the two pray "God bless Tweeky."
Invention exchange: The mads invent Tank Tops, with real tank turrets. "The best beach party ever was the one at Normandy." Joel creates the Ticklebazooka.
Host segment 1: Joel reflects on the Sixties. "Toys had metal edges and little pieces that were breakable and would fit in your mouth! They would take and make playground equipment out of stainless steel, then haul it up onto asphalt where you could get hurt!"
Host segment 2: Tom sings about Creepy Girl while Joel and Crow dance.
Host segment 3: Frank throws a bizarre tupperware-style party. Dr. Forrester: "You have a lot to learn about being a mad scientist."
End: Crow questions the premise of the film. Tom tries singing again. Joel tries to explain the plot, it descends into chaos, and he bangs them over the head with his chart. They read a letter and Tom starts singing again.
Stinger: None

Bummer. Netflix doesn't have this one.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Tia on 08/27/07 at 6:28 pm

Bummer. Netflix doesn't have this one.  :\'( :\'(

Cat
that's surprising, it's definitely in one of the collections. must be an oversight.

Written By: Tia on 08/27/07 at 6:29 pm

^^
I'm with you,i think beauty4life should come back and baffles us again!
yeah, i'm bummed. i thought that was a pretty kickass first post -- hey, at least it wasn't in AOLspeak! -- and folks kinda harshed her.

this, for instance, is just a marvy little paragraph. i must say.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 11:26 am

i dunno, i kinda liked it. then again, i’m the big paris hilton defender around here too.

she (?), the poster, seems to be mulling over the fact that god has created a many-splendored creation and yet those who worship god (the christian god, yeah?) often mortify the flesh, exercise self-control in their appearance and so forth. so i guess the question is, how do you conjure the splendor of creation in the context of worship? and if you do, how do you do it so that you don’t wind up just indulging yourself and your own vanity?

but the thing is, if priests and nuns dress sparingly, bishops and popes dress very opulently, and so much of worship historically has been very ornate, it seems to usually be one extreme or the other... consider the simplicity of the gregorian chant vs. the immense complexity of a bach fugue, the first i think being caught up in the humility of mortal worship, the latter an attempt to re-create holy splendor in the context of a very ostentatious style of worship.

i dunno, made sense to me.

I think the Christian Church has a tendency to preach moderation and modesty.  Of course that's only when the people who practice moderation and modesty are being preached to. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/07 at 12:54 pm

Looks like this poster was a one hit wonder    ::)

Written By: Tia on 09/28/07 at 1:01 pm

it's too bad, i sorta liked her post. i emailed her to tell her dont mind all of us rude jerks, but i never got an answer.

Check for new replies or respond here...