» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: So how did it really end?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 7:04 pm

Have you ever watched a movie, or a TV series....and the ending was just like...blah. Like there was no finale or closure to it?  So, what are some examples of movies and shows that are like this...and how do you think they really ended?

Here's an example of what I mean....

In the movie, What's Eating Gilbert Grape....their obese mother ended up dying and they chose to catch the house on fire, instead of shaming her by carrying her body out with a crane.

So what do you think happened to the family? It showed them sitting there watching the house burning...and then it showed Gilbert and Arnie waiting for that girl and her grandma to come back to their town in their RV/trailer...but that's about all that they showed.

Do you think that Gilbert ended up raising Arnie, and being with that girl. They also had 2 sisters (a younger one and an older one)....who, in my opinion, probably ended up living together.

Any other ideas with this movie....or throw out another movie/show....

Subject: Re: So how did it really end?

Written By: KKay on 09/05/07 at 7:22 pm

this is a great topic.
I thought they just abandoned the sisters...and that showed so little love and respect!  it was soooo weird!
they just left for the more stable, yet very unstable girl and grandma.

what the?

what about dirty dancing!  i just saw it for the first time in my life and the guy gets the girl but do you think that motorcycle-riding, leather-wearing dance instructor really made a life for Baby?
COME ON!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 7:49 pm

this is a great topic.
I thought they just abandoned the sisters...and that showed so little love and respect!  it was soooo weird!
they just left for the more stable, yet very unstable girl and grandma.

what the?

what about dirty dancing!  i just saw it for the first time in my life and the guy gets the girl but do you think that motorcycle-riding, leather-wearing dance instructor really made a life for Baby?
COME ON!

nope...I think that it was a summer fling sort of thing...and even though Baby probably would have jumped at the chance to have Johnny be her guy....I never saw Johnny as the "one girl" family man, kinda guy. So ya, she probably never heard from/saw that bad boy ever again! ;D

Written By: KKay on 09/05/07 at 7:51 pm

So funny that dance instructors wander the roads seeking work in leather.
ha!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 7:52 pm

So funny that dance instructors wander the roads seeking work in leather.
ha!

hahaha...I don't think he was as "tough" as he thought he was! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 8:00 pm

I never did see 'Gilbert Grape'.  Heard it was good though.  Oscar nominee for Leo DiCaprio if I remember

*SPOILER*

How about the end of 'Swordfish'?  It shows Travolta in a boat with Halle Berry, which is strange as you last saw him being blown up in a helicopter.  I know that was part of the whole mystery .. how did he escape?  But really .. how did he escape?  If you are in a helicopter in the air, and it blows up, boom, you are dead.  There is no escape

Could be a thing with changing faecs or something with masks.  Perhaps that wasn't really Travolta in the chopper, but someone wearing a mask to give off the impression it was him?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 8:47 pm

I never did see 'Gilbert Grape'.  Heard it was good though.  Oscar nominee for Leo DiCaprio if I remember

*SPOILER*

How about the end of 'Swordfish'?  It shows Travolta in a boat with Halle Berry, which is strange as you last saw him being blown up in a helicopter.  I know that was part of the whole mystery .. how did he escape?  But really .. how did he escape?  If you are in a helicopter in the air, and it blows up, boom, you are dead.  There is no escape

Could be a thing with changing faecs or something with masks.  Perhaps that wasn't really Travolta in the chopper, but someone wearing a mask to give off the impression it was him?

Yes, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' was a great movie. Leo was amazing in that role.

I've never seen 'Swordfish' though.

Written By: haleym8826 on 09/05/07 at 9:48 pm

Well I say The Matrix series.
I know they had the whole final battle thing but what was with Neo turning into a cat at the end of the third movie.

Weird Much!?!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 9:51 pm

Well I say The Matrix series.
I know they had the whole final battle thing but what was with Neo turning into a cat at the end of the third movie.

Weird Much!?!

I've never seen any of those movies either.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/06/07 at 7:10 am

Lady Sings The Blues kind of left me hanging....they just end it at Billie singing at some big theatere, and then they just show a bunch of headlines about how she died....

A few obscure 80's horror movies have, like The House on Sorority Row (ever hear of it?).

The original Dawn of the Dead as well....the two survivors ride off into the sunset in a helicopter and that's it.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/06/07 at 9:13 am

Have you ever watched a movie, or a TV series....and the ending was just like...blah. Like there was no finale or closure to it?  So, what are some examples of movies and shows that are like this...and how do you think they really ended?

Here's an example of what I mean....

In the movie, What's Eating Gilbert Grape....their obese mother ended up dying and they chose to catch the house on fire, instead of shaming her by carrying her body out with a crane.

So what do you think happened to the family? It showed them sitting there watching the house burning...and then it showed Gilbert and Arnie waiting for that girl and her grandma to come back to their town in their RV/trailer...but that's about all that they showed.

Do you think that Gilbert ended up raising Arnie, and being with that girl. They also had 2 sisters (a younger one and an older one)....who, in my opinion, probably ended up living together.

Any other ideas with this movie....or throw out another movie/show....

I liked that movie :)
My take on what could happen:
Becky and her grandmother will never come back to that town,Arnie will suffer a major accident and dies,Gilbert leaves and goes on a long journey around the world in order to find himself,the sisters like you say stay together,driving eachother crazy.
Ten years later,Gilbert comes back home,he's a changed man,what was "eating" him in this town,seems to have vanished,he realises that this is his home and where he will stay because,when he meets his sisters who are now married and have kids,he sees one of his nephews is autistic like Arnie was,one look at the little boy and we know Gilbert will not walk out on him.
The End

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/06/07 at 9:26 am

I liked that movie :)
My take on what could happen:
Becky and her grandmother will never come back to that town,Arnie will suffer a major accident and dies,Gilbert leaves the town and goes on a long journey around the world in order to find himself,the sisters like you say stay together,driving eachother crazy.
Ten years later,Gilbert comes back home,he's a changed man,what was "eating" him in this town,seems to have vanished,he realises that this is his home and where he will stay because,when he meets his sisters who are now married and have kids,he sees one of his nephews is autistic like Arnie was,one look at the little boy and we know Gilbert will not walk out on him.
The End

karma for your creativity! :)

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/06/07 at 9:58 am

karma for your creativity! :)

lol thanks.
Karma for you too cause this topic is a great ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/07 at 12:38 pm

Master and Commander didn't have an ending. It just stopped.

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/07 at 7:36 pm

As much as I loved "The Birds" the ending left me hanging. The ranch is surrounded by birds, and Mitch, Lydia, Cathy, and Melanie all get into Melanie's car and simply drive off after Melanie was attacked by those birds in that one bedroom. Maybe it's supposed to end that way, but I couldn't help but not to feel closure from that ending.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/07/07 at 1:42 pm

Great topic.  What about Breakfast Club?  Do you really think they ever ended up aknowledging eachother on Monday?

Written By: KKay on 09/07/07 at 4:12 pm

waht about The Abyss?
i love the movie but everyone finds out about the aliens and the movie ends.
i bet the dumb americans kill them all.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/07/07 at 9:18 pm

Great topic.  What about Breakfast Club?  Do you really think they ever ended up aknowledging eachother on Monday?

I honestly don't think that they would. I think it was a one time....in the heat of the moment, kind of togetherness....but for some reason, I can see them going back to their old selves...to an extent. Maybe they would acknowledge each other in the halls, and not be as mean/rude....but I don't think they would be chummy.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/08/07 at 12:11 am

I've always wondered about that-especially if Claire and John would actually go out with each other (after all, she did give him one of her earrings), or if anything happened between Andrew and Allison.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/08/07 at 12:35 am

Teen Witch

This was one of the cheesiest 80's movies ever so I kinda expected a "happily ever after" type of ending but oddly Louise never makes up with her best friend. It just shows her and her ex-friend getting their man but they don't talk to each other at all during the last scene.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/08/07 at 8:47 am

I've always wondered about that-especially if Claire and John would actually go out with each other (after all, she did give him one of her earrings), or if anything happened between Andrew and Allison.
I think everyone remained within their own spheres and that's why there was (thankfully) never a sequal.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/08/07 at 10:49 am

I honestly don't think that they would. I think it was a one time....in the heat of the moment, kind of togetherness....but for some reason, I can see them going back to their old selves...to an extent. Maybe they would acknowledge each other in the halls, and not be as mean/rude....but I don't think they would be chummy.

I think it's one of those things that will consist of secret smiles while passing each other in the hallway. Like, you can tell they have a special bond and want to be friends, but they're still too embarrassed to cross that line with their old cliques around.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 11:23 am

Oh, cool idea for a thread - knowing me, it's not like I haven't thought about this before with movies. ;)

I guess my pick would be What About Bob.

I never knew who I was rooting for here. On one hand, Bob actually was an outgoing, likable character who just didn't want to be alone. He certainly made it more "fun" for the rest of the family who took to him. However, he kinda got on my nerves by not being able to take hints and let the poor doctor enjoy his vacation. The accidental blowing up of their house with the dynamite Leo tried to use to kill him kinda darkened what was mostly a silly, easygoing comedy. Then, the whole thing with Dr. Marvin' sister marrying him as Leo was still in a comalike state just kinda came out of nowhere. They flash a little thing onscreen at the end, which said Bob went back to school and wrote a bestselling book, and Leo was suing him for the rights.

If it were me, I would've found some way for Bob to at least not live with the Marvins, but to where the last, say 20 minutes of the movie never happened.

P.S. I haven't watched Gilbert Grape in the longest time, so I don't know it in detail that much, but I agree that was a pretty sad scene. I know it was sort of a darker drama/semi comedy, so I can see how they might've been trying to be realistic with the mom dying, but the way they dealt with it (i.e. burning the house) could've been better. I do remember his challenged brother Arnie, and wondered what became of him.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/07 at 3:07 pm

I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't really like the ending to Full House.

It's not that it ended in a cliff hanger or anything(Michelle's injury and everything was resolved) it's just that it didn't feel like the end of a show that's been on for almost a decade should feel. The way the season ended, you just sort of felt like it was gonna return for another season, which I actually think it was supposed to, but ABC decided to cancel it anyway.

I always thought they should've done one more season, where D.J. leaves to go to college, and maybe Joey finally meets someone and moves out along with Jesse and Rebbecca.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/08/07 at 6:34 pm

Teen Witch

This was one of the cheesiest 80's movies ever so I kinda expected a "happily ever after" type of ending but oddly Louise never makes up with her best friend. It just shows her and her ex-friend getting their man but they don't talk to each other at all during the last scene.

OH MY GOD....I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

i'm pretty sure that Louise and her friend (Molly, i think?) make up....what i always wanted to know is if she gave up her powers for good in the end when she gave Serena her magic necklace.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/08/07 at 6:36 pm

that's what i think too, but it seemed like the Molly Ringland and Judd Nelson charecters are "boyfriend-girlfriend" with eachother at the end....the same with the Alison Sheedy and Emilio Estevez charecters.

the breakfast club is actually the only brat pack movie i like.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/09/07 at 3:46 pm

OH MY GOD....I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!

i'm pretty sure that Louise and her friend (Molly, i think?) make up....what i always wanted to know is if she gave up her powers for good in the end when she gave Serena her magic necklace.

I think the reason why there isn't a scene of the 2 friends making up is because of bad directing.  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/07 at 10:26 pm

Seven has an intersting ending.

Does Brad Pitt's charecter stay or a cop, or does he get kicked out of the force, for killing the bad guy?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/17/07 at 8:38 am

For all of your Crossing Jordan fans...the same thing kind of happened. I mean, SO much was left open...and then they announced that the series was ending. I was like...NOOOOO!! This was one of my favorite TV shows too. :(

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 12:57 pm

For all of your Crossing Jordan fans...the same thing kind of happened. I mean, SO much was left open...and then they announced that the series was ending. I was like...NOOOOO!! This was one of my favorite TV shows too. :(

that always happens to me. . . I wonder what happened with the people on My So-Called Life what kind of adults did they grow up to be
I wonder how Doug & Carol are doing in Seattle (ER)
I want closure on the nine & Veronica Mars (one day I will let it rest but not yet!  >:( )

Most recently I watched Apt Pupil but dozed off in the middle and didn't see if Brad Renfro got the safety deposit key from Ian Mckellen. I want to know what happened to the letter in the deposit box. I also want to know what became of Todd (Renfro) he killed a man in the basement and almost let an old man die. Did he in turn become a serial killer?

Nightmare in Badham County- what happened once Cathy got home. Did she return to UCLA, did she fight for womens rights especially incarcerated women?

For some reason, every time I watch Testament (w/ Jane Alexander) and the Wiz I always have dream about these movies extending the film beyond what is on the screen. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 1:45 pm

what about Night of the Comet.  How many people survived the metor. How long did it take to repopulate the earth or did they run into other zombies out there with less successful results?

And Sleepless in Seattle. did they stay together after the initial magic wore off?  Did she move to Seattle to be with him? Did he and jonah move to new york. If they stayed together did she have any kids? What college is Jonah at now?

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 2:51 pm

Surface.... you know the town flooded, they were on the roof of that church surrounded by Nim's "family" sheesh I just wish, if a network is going to let us get invested in a series then they also give us a tv movie to wrap up the loose ends.

Check for new replies or respond here...