» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Favorite of these female vocalists?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/15/07 at 3:53 pm

Although I am a fan of all these singers (except Celine) in varying degrees, I like Mariah Carey's and Olivia Newton-John's voices the best.

Based just on their music, I like Mariah, Olivia and Donna the best.

I think Olivia has an underrated voice. I think her voice is so pretty, and I love her music. She can also write pretty well. She seems very nice, too.

Mariah I think has the strongest out of all these singers. She also has pretty good writing skills (for r&b-pop, anyway), and she's released alot of strong albums.

I really can't stand Celine's voice, or her music. It makes me depressed. But somehow, I've got 4 of her albums.

Whitney Houston's voice I think is kind of overrated (people always say she's better than Mariah, but I disagree), but I really like her music.

I like Toni's music, but her voice is a little too deep for me.

I really like Vanessa Williams nice & velvety voice, but her music is kind of bland, but it has a nice smooth jazz/adult contempo sound that I love.

I like Barbra Streisand's 70's/80's pop music alot, and she seems to be the most critically respected of these singers. Her 60's Tin Pan Alley music does nothing for me, though.

I like Christina's music too, but I think she sounds like she tries way too hard, and her material can sound really pretentious.

Sade has a nice and cool voice, and she never, ever sounds like she's trying too hard or pushing herself, and her music has substance. She's very, very classy, and she writes her own music.

Donna Summer has a good voice, and I love her music. It has more substance than people give it credit for having, and she's also a pretty good writer. I'm a big fan of hers. Her music always puts me in a good mood.

I think Taylor Dayne should be more popular than Celine Dion is, or atleast AS popular. I like her voice much better, and I don't understand why she couldn't keep up with the other ballad diva's of the 80's and 90's.

Subject: Re: Favorite of these female vocalists?

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/15/07 at 7:31 pm

Wow, so hard to choose.....as far as my personal preference, I love Sade, Donna Summer, Taylor Dayne, and Olivia Newton-John.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/07 at 7:53 pm

Sade for me.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the song 'Hang on To Your Love'

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/15/07 at 11:37 pm

I cannot tolerate anyone on this list except Olivia.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/16/07 at 8:17 pm

I like Sade, Christina, Mariah, and Olivia.

Written By: tv on 09/20/07 at 9:40 am

I like Toni Braxton and Taylor Dayne the best out of the selections.

Written By: tv on 09/20/07 at 9:42 am

I think Taylor Dayne should be more popular than Celine Dion is, or atleast AS popular. I like her voice much better, and I don't understand why she couldn't keep up with the other ballad diva's of the 80's and 90's.
Uh, Taylor Dayne was very very successful from late 1987/early 1988-1990.

Written By: KKay on 09/20/07 at 10:42 am

I adore Olivia.  But in this case, I have to go with The Queen, Donna Summer.

Sade is third in line.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/20/07 at 3:03 pm

Uh, Taylor Dayne was very very successful from late 1987/early 1988-1990.

i meant that of divas that started in the late 80's/early 90's, she wasn't able to keep up with their sucess throughout the 90's.

Written By: NbC on 09/20/07 at 8:52 pm

I selected Christina Aguilera....not that I like her style of music but I do feel she is a very talented vocalist.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/07 at 9:57 pm

Taylor Dayne

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/07 at 2:28 am

From Donna Summer and Sade (which I voted for), but the list is incomplete for where is Enya or Lulu?

Written By: NbC on 09/21/07 at 4:08 am

From Donna Summer and Sade (which I voted for), but the list is incomplete for where is Enya or Lulu?

Enya has a beautiful voice.  Don't forget her sister Maire Brennan of Clannad. 

Written By: Midas on 09/27/07 at 4:04 pm

Taylor Dayne for me.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/04/07 at 5:18 pm

Out of those listed, my preferences run to the following:

-Sade (smooth and clean vocals)

-Toni Braxton (nearly as smooth as Sade)

-Taylor Dayne (her voice is perfectly suited to the songs she has done)

Alas, however, my Top 3 Female Faves are:

-Joan Jett

-Bonnie Tyler

-Melanie Gabriel (daughter of Peter Gabriel)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/04/07 at 6:43 pm

I would also like to add Anita Baker.  I just love her.

Written By: robby76 on 10/05/07 at 5:42 am

Whitney gets my vote for her body of work from 85 - 92. Her first 2 albums are music gold!

Toni Braxton is good and everyone else has had stuff I like.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/05/07 at 6:21 am

Whitney gets my vote for her body of work from 85 - 92. Her first 2 albums are music gold!

I was waiting for someone to vote for Whitney! I'm surprised someone hasn't already.

So what do you think of 'Im Your Baby Tonight'? I think it's better than her first two albums. I've only got her first 3 CD's so far, and I like 'IYBT' the best.

Written By: robby76 on 10/05/07 at 8:33 am

So what do you think of 'Im Your Baby Tonight'?

Out of her first 3 albums, it comes 3rd - haha - but that's a very respectable third. I'm all about the early 80s nostalgia y'see so I'll always be partial to her first 2 cds.

"I'm Your Baby" was a solid album though. I absolutely love every track - except for "I'm Knockin"...  ;D. Particular faves are We Didn't Know, Who Do You Love, Miracle, Lover For Life.

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 1:47 pm

it was a toss up between Vanessa Williams and Donna Summer. I chose Donna because Vanessa's doing just fine on Ugly Betty and doesn't really need my support.

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 1:25 pm

Xtina, Taylor Dayne, ONJ, Barbra are my top four in the poll.

My personal favorite female vocalists, however, are not mentioned in the poll.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/19/07 at 6:14 pm

I really like all of them except for Sade and Taylor Dayne. I actually chose Barbra Streisand because sometimes her voice can reach some really beautiful notes. Christina Aguilara would be second, and Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston tied for 3rd.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/20/07 at 8:23 am

Other-Diana Ross.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/20/07 at 11:02 am

I should have thought of her.... :(

Written By: ninny on 10/20/07 at 9:02 pm

I voted for Barbara, but i also like Whitney & Celine

Check for new replies or respond here...