» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: When did you get your first job? (and where?)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/20/07 at 7:13 am

I still haven't gotten one  :-\\. And I feel like such a loser. I'm afraid I'll end up like one of the defendents on Judge Judy who own someone a bunch of money and don't have a job.

My brother didn't get a real job until he was 19, but he'd been mowing lawns long before that, and he worked at a construction site one summer.

My sisters been working since 13! She got her first job as a waitress at the restaraunt my mom used to work at. The sort of ironic thing is that she graduated from college a couple years ago (from Columbia), with great grades, and she's working as bar tender! She's had a few real careers, but she didn't like any of them (she's a fashion marketing major, BTW).

I applied for Dominick's, but haven't gotten word back so far. I'll have to get rides every day......

Subject: Re: When did you get your first job? (and where?)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 7:26 am

My first job consisted of working in the kitchens of one of the leading hotels in my old home town. And what did I get? ÂŁ24 for my wages and all the food I could eat. I only lasted one week there, the job was too much for me.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/07 at 10:07 am

I had just come out of college and I was looking for an office job.  I saw an ad in the paper .. one of the temporary agencies was looking for several people to work a data entry job at the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).  I went down, and they had me take some computer test that measured by WPM and they were blown away by my two fingered typing speed, so they told me the job was mine if I wanted it

It was only a temporary assignment that lasted a little over 4 weeks, but not even a day after the job had ended, I get a call back from the temp agency saying they wanted me for another position at the ministry, a job that was only supposed to last for a month or so ended up lasting over 2 years.  We ended up losing our jobs because the Minister of Transportation put a freeze on all jobs they thought weren't needed

But as it turned out, the work was still so backed up, they still needed us, so me and several others were re-hired directly by the MTO for a 4 month project.  Though it was only 4 mos., in that time, we were making $21/hr.  I may never see that kind of $$ again :\'(

Written By: NbC on 09/20/07 at 2:45 pm

Office Clerk during my senior year, I was 16. 

Written By: KKay on 09/20/07 at 2:52 pm

At 16, slinging burgers for the King.
I loved it.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/20/07 at 3:10 pm

When i was around 13,me and my sister used to sell Popsicles to the tourists in Copacabana beach.

But my first real job was at a bookstore,i've read more than 500 books while i was there,my boss was this cool old lady who taught me that all you need to know you can learn from books 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/20/07 at 9:59 pm

My first 2 jobs were: babysitter and newpaper delivery girl (which I hated doing).

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/20/07 at 10:32 pm

First real job was as a prep cook for "Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken"  ::)

Nothing to brag about, but the best you could really expect at the local mall when you're just 16. My job was mixing/cooking all the other stuff other than the chicken and biscuits. I used to really like the Cajun rice and other sides until I saw how they are made.

Sucky job, everything in the place had a thin veneer of grease on it, and walking around the place was like walking on ice (fryer grease/fat).

Worst part was that "fast food" smell in your clothes/uniform.
If you've ever worked at a fast food joint, you know that smell, can't get it out of your clothes and will make you retch  :P

Well anyway it helped pay for my first piece of crap car, and gave me a little change in my pocket my freshman and sophomore years.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/20/07 at 10:57 pm

The first jobs I had weren't regular:  picking berries at a nearby berry farm in the summer at 14 (that didn't last long), and tutoring a young kid in math for a couple months at 15 or maybe 16.

Then the drought hit (not that I was trying that hard)

My first regular (albeit part-time) job was in college, at 18; a large university, I worked at the gym/recreational building as an office assistant and occasionally security.  It didn't pay a lot but it was a very good job for me at the time, especially as a full time student, and I liked the office assistant job a lot (security was boring).

Written By: Gis on 09/21/07 at 10:20 am

I started babysitting from the age of about 14. My next job was in a nursery/ garden centre at 16. I can still remember having to pot up 1000's of bulbs for people to buy to flower at christmas. When I started there I could hardly lift one bag of soil by the time I left I was carrying one on each shoulder!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/07 at 10:23 am

AT 16 I worked at Jordan Marsh at the candy counter.  It was then I knew that retail wasn't the place for me    :P

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/24/07 at 10:18 am

My first job was at the candy counter at Sears (yes, the Sears in our mall sold candy/pretzels/soda/popcorn).

I guess I was 16 at the time.

I gained about 10 pounds working there. ;D

Written By: Tia on 09/24/07 at 12:16 pm

this probably oughta be in "playful penguin place." i think more than a decade is more about popcult stuff.

my first job was in a nursing home. it was strange and terrible, a lot of the people there were in stages of dementia and would lash out at us thinking we were from the CIA and stuff. i also had a job at a fast food joint called “the orange bowl” in the mall. i had to make chili dogs for people while wearing an apron and a baseball cap both with big huge goofy oranges right on the front of them. cute girls would always come by and torment me over how stupid i looked with a big orange in the middle of my forehead. i felt like judd nelson wearing the pirate hat in “fast times at ridgmont high.”

Written By: Paul on 09/24/07 at 1:54 pm

My first job was in a departmental office in a bank...then, after a couple of years, I was shoved into a West End branch...

(...then, a few years after that, they gave me the chop! See another thread!)

I still haven't gotten one  :-\\. And I feel like such a loser. I'm afraid I'll end up like one of the defendents on Judge Judy who own someone a bunch of money and don't have a job.

Whatever you do, don't give up hope...and you're not a loser for not having a job, you're a loser if you don't want one...

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/24/07 at 7:24 pm

My first job was as a courtesy clerk (i.e. bagging groceries) when I was 16. It was a really easy job, but because it was the dead of summer, it made it more uncomfortable.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/07 at 8:04 pm

Other than babysitting, my first job was at McDonald's. Oh yes, I was that pretty girl asking, "May I take your order?" at the sweet age of 16.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/24/07 at 9:53 pm

My first job was as a courtesy clerk (i.e. bagging groceries) when I was 16. It was a really easy job, but because it was the dead of summer, it made it more uncomfortable.

Same here!  And we had to wear a shirt and tie.  :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 09/24/07 at 10:00 pm

Working for my Dad.

I was 13 I think when he first started taking me to work. I'd fetch and carry boards and tools, go and get lunch and things. I learned how to set up scaffold and by the time I was 14 I was stripping off the old roofline.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 09/27/07 at 4:00 pm

Same here!  And we had to wear a shirt and tie.   :-\\

Me too!  That sucked. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/07 at 9:46 pm

I was 16 when I started sacking groceries at the local Market Basket.

Written By: holicman on 10/03/07 at 2:29 am

I dropped out of school at 15 to become a telemarketer.

I know run a pizza shop.

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/04/07 at 11:16 am

When I was young my ambition was to not have to work a day in my life - unfortunately that was shattered soon enough. My first job was at Toys'r'us as a floor person/sales assistant. I know, it sounds like fun, playing all day and singing jolly songs with Geoffrey the Giraffe. Most of my days consisted of re-stacking, re-ordering, shifting...I felt like some kind of robot (you can tell how spoilt I am, lol). Before too long I was growing tired of it - fortuitously and with good timing, I, along with half the sales floor were told we were not needed any more (actually we had to make room for staff from another store, that closed down)...I took that phone call rather well. But I still have fond memories of playing with the Tickle me Elmo's or Gameboys when I was supposed to be working.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/05/07 at 4:51 pm

I started babysitting from the age of about 14.

So did I, off and on...

My first real 'out-of-the-house' job was when I was 17 (in 1983)...and I worked as a clerk in the fabrics department of a large store...

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 1:30 pm

I earned my first dollar shoveling snow in Washington DC in 1976.

The first job I had where I had to deal with FICA and everything was 1984 at Syufy Cinemas (northridge cinema) in Salinas CA

(Woo Hoo- Finally 1000 posts!  ;D)

Written By: sugar168 on 10/09/07 at 9:37 pm

Besides babysitting

WAWA-its a better 7-11 on the east coast...

http://www.gyroworldwide.com/site_images/wawa_logo_large.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/09/07 at 10:08 pm

Jobs at your age are generally crappy, low wage, high labour, stressful (ie: annoying costumers) with minimal benefits. I've had paper runs, babysitting jobs (for family... so unpaid) and worked at fast food. Working these jobs however, has made me realise how important studying is so that you don't end up working at these miserable places the rest of your life.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/07 at 10:15 pm

I used to babysit ALOT (I think that's when I realized I never wanted kids of my own.  ;D )

Then when I was 15, I worked for about 2 weeks at an ice cream store (that also had pizza, hamburgers and breakfast items on the menu too).  I could never figure out how to make the eggs, and they wanted to leave me alone in the whole store after 2 weeks, so I had to leave. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/07 at 10:26 pm

Other than babysitting, my first job was at McDonald's. Oh yes, I was that pretty girl asking, "May I take your order?" at the sweet age of 16.

So was my sister.  She wasn't queen of the flirts or anything, but gross weird old guys used to give her lecherous leers and impolite suggestions. 

I was like, sorry them's the breaks, welcome to the next 30 years, sis!
:P

Written By: karen on 10/11/07 at 8:10 am

Could've sworn I already answered this one?  :-\\

I started with a paper round when I was 13 and then added a Saturday job in Woolworths when I was 15.  I started work full time just before my 17th birthday.  I worked as a lab technician at the local university.  First I was in the Physics department, and I stayed there 12 years.  Then I moved to the Human Sciences department and stayed there for 9 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/07 at 9:05 am

Could've sworn I already answered this one?  :-\\

I started with a paper round when I was 13 and then added a Saturday job in Woolworths when I was 15.  I started work full time just before my 17th birthday.  I worked as a lab technician at the local university.  First I was in the Physics department, and I stayed there 12 years.  Then I moved to the Human Sciences department and stayed there for 9 years.
At the time when I was leaving school I applied to Woolworths for a job and come to think I am still waiting for a response from them, it was over 30 years , so should I get back to them?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/11/07 at 4:24 pm

At the time when I was leaving school I applied to Woolworths for a job and come to think I am still waiting for a response from them, it was over 30 years , so should I get back to them?

;D  ;D  ;D

Jobs at your age are generally crappy, low wage, high labour, stressful ... Working these jobs however, has made me realise how important studying is so that you don't end up working at these miserable places the rest of your life.

Amen to that!  BTW I have a good job these days.  One that requires a degree.  Was it hard to get through college?  You betcha!  Was it worth it?  Absolutely YES!!!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/14/07 at 9:58 am

I've applied for Dominicks last month, and never got word back. I applied at Jewel and Target to, and all 3 seem to want you to be graduated from high-school already  >:(. On the applications, they ask when you graduated high-school, or if you did at all, and if not, have you got a GED. Why do you need a high-school diploma to work at these places? I KNOW kids at my school work at Jewel and Target, so what the hell are they talking about?

And then at the Jewel website, when I was working on the application, they had this 500 question personality test, that you had to "strongly agree", "agree", "disagree", or "strongly disagree" with. And the questions were like, "You love to be around people", "You know what to say when you first meet someone", "Your mood changes drastically for no reason throughout the day". So I knew they weren't gonna hire me................ :\'(. I could have just been dishonest, but................I knew when I had to do the interview, they wouldn't be convinced.

I would also love to work at BORDERS or Barnes & Nobles, but I don't think I could do any of the jobs. Some of the jobs they have are bookseller, cafe server, music seller, head cashier, and "lead position", and I know I wouldn't be good at any of those, because I'd actually have to talk to people...............

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/07 at 10:21 am

I've applied for Dominicks last month, and never got word back. I applied at Jewel and Target to, and all 3 seem to want you to be graduated from high-school already  >:(. On the applications, they ask when you graduated high-school, or if you did at all, and if not, have you got a GED. Why do you need a high-school diploma to work at these places? I KNOW kids at my school work at Jewel and Target, so what the hell are they talking about?

And then at the Jewel website, when I was working on the application, they had this 500 question personality test, that you had to "strongly agree", "agree", "disagree", or "strongly disagree" with. And the questions were like, "You love to be around people", "You know what to say when you first meet someone", "Your mood changes drastically for no reason throughout the day". So I knew they weren't gonna hire me................ :\'(. I could have just been dishonest, but................I knew when I had to do the interview, they wouldn't be convinced.

I would also love to work at BORDERS or Barnes & Nobles, but I don't think I could do any of the jobs. Some of the jobs they have are bookseller, cafe server, music seller, head cashier, and "lead position", and I know I wouldn't be good at any of those, because I'd actually have to talk to people...............

The high school question is a standard on all applications. 

They know that not everyone who applies to work there has finished high school yet but the truth is there are more people applying for jobs out of high school than in high school. Its cheaper and easier for companies to use one application rather than having separate ones for those  in High school and those out of high school.

When you fill out the application if you are still in school and it asks HAVE YOU GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL? fill in the answer N/A
N/A or not applicable can also be your answer for the GED question.

And when you get to the Educational history part fill it in like this:

If you are still in High school then write the name of your school down under school.
If you dropped out write the name of the school you last attended first.

FOR DATES ATTENDED:

If you are still in school write the year you started followed by a hyphen and then leave the end yr blank. i.e. if you started in 04 and graduate this year then just write  2004 -  or  2004 - current.
If you dropped out of school then just put the dates you attended 2004-2006. NA still goes under diploma & GED because you dropped out

Once you fill out the application then you will get an interview. 

It seems like you want a job tho where you don't have to deal with the public. That means stock person or shipping clerk. You still have to talk to people but fewer than you would in a customer service position. I worked at Barnes & Noble it was a good job. I think if you work somewhere where you have passion for the product, like books or a music store, you might find it easier to deal with the public because at least you are talking to them about something you like.

Also, if you have interest in it product, this will come out in the interview and the manager will know that you are the right one for the job.

Written By: La Roche on 10/14/07 at 11:11 am

I hate talking to the general public, thankfully now I don't have to, I just talk to the other azzholes like me.  ;D

They know that not everyone who applies to work there has finished high school yet but the truth is there are more people applying for jobs out of high school than in high school. Its cheaper and easier for companies to use one application rather than having separate ones for those  in High school and those out of high school.

When you fill out the application if you are still in school and it asks HAVE YOU GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL? fill in the answer N/A

If you are still in High school then write the name of your school down under school.

FOR DATES ATTENDED:

If you are still in school write the year you started followed by a hyphen and then leave the end yr blank. i.e. if you started in 04 and graduate this year then just write  2004 -  or  2004 - current.
If you dropped out of school then just put the dates you attended 2004-2006. NA still goes under diploma & GED because you dropped out

It seems like you want a job tho where you don't have to deal with the public. That means stock person or shipping clerk. You still have to talk to people but fewer than you would in a customer service position. I worked at Barnes & Noble it was a good job. I think if you work somewhere where you have passion for the product, like books or a music store, you might find it easier to deal with the public because at least you are talking to them about something you like.

Also, if you have interest in it product, this will come out in the interview and the manager will know that you are the right one for the job.

She speaketh wise words dude, listen.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/17/07 at 7:12 am

FOR DATES ATTENDED:

That helps alot!

And a stock person/shipping clerk is exactly what I was applying to be.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/07 at 12:58 pm

My first job was at the candy counter at Sears (yes, the Sears in our mall sold candy/pretzels/soda/popcorn).

I guess I was 16 at the time.

I gained about 10 pounds working there. ;D

Not to go off topic, I but I remember their candy counter (at least at our Sears, I do) We use to stop there before heading home  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/17/07 at 1:12 pm

My first job was at a toy store called Children's Palace.  That lasted two weeks,  I wasn't fired . . . they laid me off. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 1:14 pm

My first job was at a toy store called Children's Palace.  That lasted two weeks,  I wasn't fired . . . they laid me off. :P

Oh, I used to LOVE going there when I was little. That was THE toy store around here, back in the day! :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/17/07 at 1:16 pm

Oh, I used to LOVE going there when I was little. That was THE toy store around here, back in the day! :)

They were in serious competition with K-bee toys.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 1:19 pm

They were in serious competition with K-bee toys.

yes, that's true.  Our Children's Palace eventually turned into a Toys R Us....but it sucks now.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/17/07 at 1:21 pm

yes, that's true.  Our Children's Palace eventually turned into a Toys R Us....but it sucks now.

I suppose you remember Jamesway and Two Guys too?  Damn I hate Wal-Mart.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 1:24 pm

I suppose you remember Jamesway and Two Guys too?  Damn I hate Wal-Mart.

Jamesway was an awesome store!! I don't remember Two Guys though. I do, however, remember Hills Dept. Store...I LOVED that store!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/07 at 1:27 pm

My first real job was at 17, working for a remodeling contractor starting in July of 1999. I worked that on and off for about two years. I then took a minor break from work and was going to college, then got back into it in June of 2002 at the Newspaper. I've been at the paper ever since (going on 6 years!  :o )

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/17/07 at 1:54 pm

At your age, I was very shy, too. I mean, getting a job even at the age I got it at was just a mere fluke. I think if you "network" with family and friends, you can really land a good job or at least something that can get your "feet" wet.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/07 at 7:57 pm

That helps alot!

And a stock person/shipping clerk is exactly what I was applying to be.

GOOD LUCK :)

Written By: ninny on 10/18/07 at 11:09 am

first job I was 17,I worked for a restaurant on the NY state thruway,it sucked I lasted 2 weeks.

Written By: Davester on 10/21/07 at 10:38 pm

Delivered two West County Times paper routes from June through November '85 in Crockett.  15-16 y/o...

I quit after the paper added an evening edition to the route...

Written By: gmann on 10/22/07 at 11:03 pm

Aside from the weekly mowing of my folks' front lawn, my first job was delivering a weekly newspaper for about three months during my sophomore year in high school. I probably would have stuck with it, but the paper folded a short time later. After that, I flipped burgers for about a month at a fast food joint that also went under not long after I left. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 9:35 pm

Delivered two West County Times paper routes from June through November '85 in Crockett.  15-16 y/o...

I quit after the paper added an evening edition to the route...

You were a paperboy when there was an evening edition?  We're gettin' old, my friend!
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...