» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Most Overrated Bands/Artists of All Time

Written By: woops on 09/27/07 at 4:37 pm

No offense to fans of these bands, but I like to know that artist that's popular (whether if their good or bad), but you just can't stand... 

Also added three genres since I'm not fond of them...

10. emo

...liked it better when it was called alternative.

I know it's slightly different, though most of their influences are alternative bands like The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, and Green Day.

also would've added numetal, though thankfully is nolonger popular

9. Whitney Houston

...see Celine Dion, though I only can tolerate "I Want To Dance With Somebody"

8. Barry Manilow

...don't know anybody who listen to him and his music reek sweaty gym socks

7. country music

...enuff said

6. Celine Dion

...way too over the top and find her ballads cloying

5. Michael Jackson... I like a couple of his songs from the '80's & his days from The Jackson 5. This has nothing to do with the surrounding controversy, it's just the fact he's overhyped and haven't done any decent songs since the early 1990's.. Though have to say that he's a sicko... though that's what he's more known for now...  >:( :P

4.  Beach Boys... hear one song and you've already heard them all. Though "Good Viberations" is the only song I can tolerate

3. Britney Spears... why is she still famous since she hasn't had a hit song for a while

2. gangsta rap...though technically any rapper since 1993 (gangsta or not), though NWA made gangsta rap mainstream in 1989. Don't mind some songs from Public Enemy (though more 'political rap')  and "Nothing But A 'G' Thang" from Dr Dre. Most I've heard are about glamorizing violence/"thug" lifestyle and is just noise to my ear.

1. Madonna... I'll admit that I like a couple of her material from the '80's, but she tends to be "controversial" and try to grasp attention from the media she doesn't really need and follow trends rather being a trend setter she was about 25 years ago..

Subject: Re: Most Overrated Bands/Artists of All Time

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/27/07 at 4:57 pm

i don't think Britney Spears is "overrated". she's popular, but she's not a critical darling. no one considers her to be a musical genius.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/28/07 at 1:25 pm

i don't think Britney Spears is "overrated". she's popular, but she's not a critical darling. no one considers her to be a musical genius.
Ditto with Madonna.  No musical genius there, just a highlt entertaining entertainer.

Anyhow, these are my picks for overrated bands of all time:

1. Kiss
2. Cheap Trick
3. The Grateful Dead

Written By: tv on 09/28/07 at 6:11 pm

This is easy: Jay-Z: I think the guy could be the most overrated artist ever. I just don;t see what so great about him and why the hip-hop magazine's love him so much. I mean he is a very likeable person and he carrys himself very well as a person but I just don;t think he is this great MC that people make him out to be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/07 at 8:44 pm

The Grateful Dead,
The Grateful Dead,
and
The Grateful Dead

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/28/07 at 11:33 pm

This is easy: Jay-Z: I think the guy could be the most overrated artist ever. I just don;t see what so great about him and why the hip-hop magazine's love him so much. I mean he is a very likeable person and he carrys himself very well as a person but I just don;t think he is this great MC that people make him out to be.
Actually, Puffy or PDiddy or whatever he's calling himself sucks it also.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/29/07 at 9:01 am

I usually get ripped for saying these bands are overrated, but to me they are. I have been called all sorts of things
for telling who I think is the most overrated band of all time. Now don't get me wrong, I like a lot of songs this band
put out, I just don't think they deserve the God status that's been bestowed upon them. Who I think is the most
overrated band of all time.....Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was the epitome of what rock and roll should be, it was different, innovative and grating. They used a lot
of repetition and borrowed riffs to make their "unique" sound. While the rest of the rock world was hailing them as Gods
I was seeing them as they truly are, Exceptional musicians that should be taken in moderation.

Other bands I think are overrated:

Aerosmith: (too commercial, made for radio hair metal)

U2: (Excellent when they first came out, became too political and too into activism.)

Pearl Jam: (Worst band to ever spawn so many sound a like bands.)

John Cougar: (Twangy guitar, raspy voice, juvenile lyrics.)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/29/07 at 9:37 am

I usually get ripped for saying these bands are overrated, but to me they are. I have been called all sorts of things
for telling who I think is the most overrated band of all time. Now don't get me wrong, I like a lot of songs this band
put out, I just don't think they deserve the God status that's been bestowed upon them. Who I think is the most

Led Zeppelin was the epitome of what rock and roll should be, it was different, innovative and grating. They used a lot
of repetition and borrowed riffs to make their "unique" sound. While the rest of the rock world was hailing them as Gods
I was seeing them as they truly are, Exceptional musicians that should be taken in moderation.

U2: (Excellent when they first came out, became too political and too into activism.)

I agree about Led Zeppelin. While I admire them for being trendsetters and unique, I just never could get into their music. It doesn't have that instant play quality to it, and even among classic rock standards (which gets overplayed anyway) they're WAY overrated.

Aerosmith seem more like a hard rock party band, with some metal influences. Their 1987-1993/'94 period was like a hair metal/classic rock mix, but it was polished enough to where, say a Bon Jovi or Def Leppard fan could've liked them.

Alot of people shun bands when they go pop or make ballads...pretty much anything that commercializes their sound (which happened in the '80s alot). Personally I like this because there's alot of bands I'd have never gotten into or probably even known if it wasn't for their poppier radio songs. In the early '90s MTV and even sometimes VH1 played their Permanent Vacation songs, which is how I became a fan of theirs (although I'm generally not into harder rock, that era appealed to me because of its pop influence).

John Cougar started off as a classic rocker just with a little '80s pop influence. "Hurts So Good" screams early MTV era. I think it's his Farm Aid-era stuff that falls more into the category you're talking about. He does seem to blur the line between country and classic rock now though, so I see what you mean. The last song he did that I liked was the "Wild Night" cover in 1994.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/07 at 9:52 am

I'll probably get raked over the coals for saying this, but 'The Beatles'

I love the Beatles.  They were great, and they are legendary, but it always seems like everyone just says The Beatles are the greatest band ever without giving other bands a chance.  To me, The Beatles were just a band, no better than any other band.  They were all the same:  great bands with great songs

Written By: woops on 09/29/07 at 2:32 pm

Forgot Journey

Never saw the appeal of them and Steve Perry sounds like if a donkey ate too much cheese :P

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/29/07 at 4:27 pm

I actually think the Stones are HIGHLY overrated.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/29/07 at 8:14 pm

Celine and Whitney are certainly NOT overrated, either...........don't know how I missed them before. They're defintely popular, but critics hate their music, especially Celine's!

I think The Ramones are ovverrated. I understand their importance, but all their songs sound the same to me.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/29/07 at 8:43 pm

- Rush
- KISS
- Boston/Kansas (basically any band with a city/state/country as their name)
- Lynard Skynard (I'm freeee as a biiiird yeah...! oh please, shutup!)
- Meatloaf (with his 30 minute + ballads)
- Post 1980 Aerosmith (pre-1980 Aerosmith was awesome though)
- U2 (even if I do like them a bit)
- Styx (come sail away... come saaiil away! ugh!)

The Grateful Dead,
The Grateful Dead,
and
The Grateful Dead
I've only ever heard Touch of Grey played on radio here
& Casey Jones

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/29/07 at 8:55 pm

And some later bands that are way overrated (I wont state the obvious... like rap, britney etc.)

- Radiohead (boooring)
- Nirvana (best band of the 90s? I don't think so)
- Nickelback (monotonous)
- Coldplay (also boring)
- Modern Metallica (post-1992)
- Oasis

Written By: Brigitte on 09/29/07 at 9:04 pm

I love the Beatles.  They were great, and they are legendary, but it always seems like everyone just says The Beatles are the greatest band ever without giving other bands a chance.  To me, The Beatles were just a band, no better than any other band.  They were all the same:  great bands with great songs

Overrated?
Please listen again.
The melody and harmony are brilliant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BZDVmmTN4

Written By: tv on 09/30/07 at 8:31 pm

And some later bands that are way overrated (I wont state the obvious... like rap, britney etc.)

- Radiohead (boooring)
- Nirvana (best band of the 90s? I don't think so)
- Nickelback (monotonous)
- Coldplay (also boring)
- Modern Metallica (post-1992)
- Oasis
Lets go over your list for ceratain artists that I can comment in:

Nickeleback-I don;t think anybody thinks their a great band they just fit todays radio format so well.

Nirvana-Uh maybe a little overrated I mean I think out of alll the grunge Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots material/songs has aged better than the rest of the other grunge bands material circa late 1991-1996 era.

Radiohead-Their own fans overrate them I think but they do have a few good songs I admit.

Coldplay-I agree their boring.

Oasis-I like them alot(their 1994-1997 songs anyway.)

Written By: tv on 09/30/07 at 8:35 pm

Actually, Puffy or PDiddy or whatever he's calling himself sucks it also.
I don;t think anybody thinks P. Diddy(than called Puffy) is a great artist you can;t deny his influence(unfortantely in the hip-hop world) I mean he did pave the way for how commercial rap has gotten in the past 10 years when he was huge in 1997-mid 1998. I actually do think Puffy was as popular in 1997-mid 1998 as Britney Spears was 1999-2000.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/30/07 at 10:07 pm

I don;t think anybody thinks P. Diddy(than called Puffy) is a great artist you can;t deny his influence(unfortantely in the hip-hop world) I mean he did pave the way for how commercial rap has gotten in the past 10 years when he was huge in 1997-mid 1998. I actually do think Puffy was as popular in 1997-mid 1998 as Britney Spears was 1999-2000.
Honestly, I don't know how he paved the way for rap in the mainstream because I'm not really a fan of the genre.  I would think that honor goes to the Beastie Boys much earlier, or even Run DMC, earlier still.  Anyway, people like him enough to develope these deals for a fashion line, cologne and the like, and I CERTAINLY don't think he's worth all that hooha.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/30/07 at 11:21 pm

Lets go over your list for ceratain artists that I can comment in:

Nickeleback-I don;t think anybody thinks their a great band they just fit todays radio format so well.

Nirvana-Uh maybe a little overrated I mean I think out of alll the grunge Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots material/songs has aged better than the rest of the other grunge bands material circa late 1991-1996 era.

Radiohead-Their own fans overrate them I think but they do have a few good songs I admit.

Coldplay-I agree their boring.

Oasis-I like them alot(their 1994-1997 songs anyway.)
Just thought I'd point out that just because I consider a band "overrated" doesn't mean I don't like them. I have 3 Radiohead albums , 3 U2 albums, 3 Nirvana albums and 1 oasis album. So I do like these bands, but I just feel they're not as great as radio/TV/people consider them to be.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/01/07 at 6:34 am

Just thought I'd point out that just because I consider a band "overrated" doesn't mean I don't like them. I have 3 Radiohead albums , 3 U2 albums, 3 Nirvana albums and 1 oasis album. So I do like these bands, but I just feel they're not as great as radio/TV/people consider them to be.
Good point.  I had mentioned the Stones earlier and while they have put out some great stuff, when I hear them called the "greatest rock and roll band of all time" it makes me roll my eyes  ::).

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/01/07 at 2:13 pm

OK, since so many of my more preferred bands got raked over the coals, here's:

Hawk's Top 10 Overrated Artists Of All-Time

10. Led Zeppelin (The only thing I can give them is they took stuff that didn't really fit together & made it)
9. Poo Diddy (Need I expound?)
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd (I have 5 letters for these "exalted Southern rockers": ZZ Top)
7. Metallica (I have NEVER liked these yobs)
6. U2 (far too overplayed....just like Skynyrd)
5. Rolling Stones (c'mon, Keith....die, already!!!!)
4. The Doors (Jim Morrison was a tweaked freak, not a brooding genius)
3. Madonna (anything pre-"Blonde Ambition" qualifies as OK)
2. Brittney Spears (I'd smash her in a "Battle Of the Artists", anyday!)
AND! Hawk's Most Overrated Artist Of All-Time:
1. Whitney "Crack Ho" Houston

NB: The reflections of this Top 10 List is solely due to opinions of HTS, and has nothing to do with petty vengeance, in any form. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/01/07 at 2:33 pm

Man, there isn't enough space on this board for me to begin make a list....

Garth Brooks - great entertainer, but certainly not country, not by a long shot. He got out not a bit too soon.

The Eagles - maybe its just me, but I cannot relate to ego driven, coked-up, rock stars and their stories of delusion from days past. I don't feel any empathy for these rich egomaniacs, with too much drugs, girls or money. If I hear Hotel California just once more someone is gonna get hurt.

Oasis - VERY overrated. They've had they're moments, but comparing them to second coming of the Beatles (as some have) is asinine. Arrogance does not equal brilliance.

Gwen Stephani - Don't get it, the woman cannot sing and the songs are juvenile throwaway stuff made for Clear Channel programmers. Great for the masses, but no filling or substance, and no taste.

Dave Matthews Band - Something wrong here, theres talent, and good songwriting, but the overall sound, well just makes me want to switch the station when I hear it. I don't really know anyone (guys especially) that are, or is still a real fan, that bothers me, and I can't figure out why. I think they are some kind of semi evolved Hootie and the Blowfish and that frightens me...

Def Leppard
Journey (specifically and especially Steve Perry)
The Grateful Dead
Aerosmith
Barbara Streisand
Celine Dion
(Insert here) boy bands from the late 90's-00's.
Elton John (mid 80's-on)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (mid 90's-on)
The Cure (mid 90's-on)

Thats only a few that I can think of off the top of my head. More later...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/01/07 at 5:56 pm

Garth Brooks - great entertainer, but certainly not country, not by a long shot. He got out not a bit too soon.

Amen to that!

If you want a better reason, I have a true story that involves him.
I saw 1sthand how that egomaniac treats people.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/01/07 at 8:31 pm

I'm a big Nirvana fan myself, although I don't hold them any higher on my favorites list than I do with other bands that I like(although I do have alot more from them than I do of other bands... That's just because alot of their stuff I like).

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/02/07 at 7:09 am

Talking Heads is another band I might consider ovverrated. Maybe they really are as good as everyone says they are, but they're really not my cup of tea. They just sound really pretentious and annoying to my ears. I still have 5 of thier albums though.............

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/02/07 at 4:44 pm

The Who.  Blah.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/02/07 at 7:45 pm

Gee, the Who, Meat Loaf, Kansas.......

If anyone says The Tubes or Peter Gabriel, I may have to say something about that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/02/07 at 8:14 pm

The Tubes

Heh, just kidding. I'd say they are vastly underrated. Difficult finding any of their songs/albums anywhere. And Peter Gabriel was the better singer for Genesis. Phil Coillins era is overrated.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/07 at 9:47 pm

^ I like Phil, lol. Then again I'm heavily into mainstreamized '80s pop/rock, so I guess that explains it.

I'll agree with The Who, although "You Better You Bet" is a good song. It was like they were trying to adapt themselves to the early MTV era, although still sounding classic rock. On the other side, "My Generation" was a good British Invasion rocker, but I never got into most of their stuff inbetween.

Written By: woops on 10/02/07 at 10:58 pm

Agree with Radiohead

Though I like "Karma Police" & "Creep", they're far too artsy for my taste

Written By: Brian06 on 10/02/07 at 11:02 pm

Radiohead can be good but too much Radiohead will undoubtedly make you bored. When I'm in the mood I don't mind them but there's a lot of times that they're just too boring.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/03/07 at 12:04 am

You know, there should be a thread about the "Most Underrated Bands".

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/03/07 at 12:24 am

There probably is, but I'm not spending the next hour searching.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/03/07 at 1:03 am

There probably is, but I'm not spending the next hour searching.

I hear that.

Written By: holicman on 10/03/07 at 2:02 am

No offense to fans of these bands, but I like to know that artist that's popular (whether if their good or bad), but you just can't stand... 

Also added three genres since I'm not fond of them...

10. emo

...liked it better when it was called alternative.

I know it's slightly different, though most of their influences are alternative bands like The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, and Green Day.

also would've added numetal, though thankfully is nolonger popular

9. Whitney Houston

...see Celine Dion, though I only can tolerate "I Want To Dance With Somebody"

8. Barry Manilow

...don't know anybody who listen to him and his music reek sweaty gym socks

7. country music

...enuff said

6. Celine Dion

...way too over the top and find her ballads cloying

5. Michael Jackson... I like a couple of his songs from the '80's & his days from The Jackson 5. This has nothing to do with the surrounding controversy, it's just the fact he's overhyped and haven't done any decent songs since the early 1990's.. Though have to say that he's a sicko... though that's what he's more known for now...  >:( :P

4.  Beach Boys... hear one song and you've already heard them all. Though "Good Viberations" is the only song I can tolerate

3. Britney Spears... why is she still famous since she hasn't had a hit song for a while

2. gangsta rap...though technically any rapper since 1993 (gangsta or not), though NWA made gangsta rap mainstream in 1989. Don't mind some songs from Public Enemy (though more 'political rap')  and "Nothing But A 'G' Thang" from Dr Dre. Most I've heard are about glamorizing violence/"thug" lifestyle and is just noise to my ear.

1. Madonna... I'll admit that I like a couple of her material from the '80's, but she tends to be "controversial" and try to grasp attention from the media she doesn't really need and follow trends rather being a trend setter she was about 25 years ago..

I agree with Celine Dion, she bores me to tears.

I also agree with the beach boys, though instead of Good Vibrations (which I can also tolerate) I truly do love "God Only Knows" and "Dont worry Baby".

One person I am not a fan of is Michael Bolton James Blunt.
The hype surrounding some bands is phenominal when you hear how bad their records are.

Written By: woops on 10/03/07 at 2:12 am

Not fond of Michael Bolton and James Blunt either

Written By: holicman on 10/03/07 at 2:18 am

Another few bands I forgot to add were Linkin Park,Limp Biskit and Greenday, though I do like a few Greenday tracks generally to me they just keep sounding the same.

Theres an aussie band here called Thirsty Merc who have too much hype around them currently.

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/03/07 at 11:56 am

Another few bands I forgot to add were Linkin Park,Limp Biskit and Greenday, though I do like a few Greenday tracks generally to me they just keep sounding the same.

Theres an aussie band here called Thirsty Merc who have too much hype around them currently.

Thirsty Merc, lol..part of the reason I scoff at the 'rock' they play on the popular stations.

You could add groups like the Ramones, Pistols - most punk bands to that list. Most are recognised as being so influential more because of the image and attitude they presented rather than the quality of their music. I guess few really praise the Pistols on their music or their playing ability. I think alot of those current Radiohead rip-offs like Snow Patrol are totally overrated - their music is blander than a Mormon Church dance.

Written By: tv on 10/03/07 at 5:38 pm

The Tubes

Heh, just kidding. I'd say they are vastly underrated. Difficult finding any of their songs/albums anywhere. And Peter Gabriel was the better singer for Genesis. Phil Coillins era is overrated.
The Phil Collins era of Genisis put out alot of 80's songs that are now classics. Phil will always will be hated on because of how mainstream and popular that Genesis got in the 80's.

Written By: tv on 10/03/07 at 5:41 pm

Talking Heads is another band I might consider ovverrated. Maybe they really are as good as everyone says they are, but they're really not my cup of tea. They just sound really pretentious and annoying to my ears. I still have 5 of thier albums though.............
Yeah I don;t understand what the hoopla is about the Talking Heads I mean they don;t suck or anything but I don;t think they are a great band. I mean how many hit singles did they actually have?

Written By: tv on 10/03/07 at 5:44 pm

Thirsty Merc, lol..part of the reason I scoff at the 'rock' they play on the popular stations.

You could add groups like the Ramones, Pistols - most punk bands to that list. Most are recognised as being so influential more because of the image and attitude they presented rather than the quality of their music. I guess few really praise the Pistols on their music or their playing ability. I think alot of those current Radiohead rip-offs like Snow Patrol are totally overrated - their music is blander than a Mormon Church dance.
Yeah I didn;t understand why a song like "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol became popular I mean its just boring than again I don;t understand how artists like T-Pain, Akon, or Nelly became popular in this decade but thats for another thread though.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/03/07 at 5:51 pm

The Phil Collins era of Genisis put out alot of 80's songs that are now classics. Phil will always will be hated on because of how mainstream and popular that Genesis got in the 80's.

I, for one, apreciate all 3 phases of Genesis:

Gabriel started it; Collins contined it; Wilson finished it.

All 3 vocalists have their merits.

Written By: tv on 10/03/07 at 5:56 pm

I don;t think Green Day is overrated. As for Limp Bizkit who thinks they are a great band I mean they haven;t been popular since 2001 and I haven;t heard much about them in the past 6 years. A band like Limp Bizkit in the 2003+ music scene wouldn;t fit. I think Limp Bizkit was just a party band in the same vein as the hair metal band of the 80's. As far as Linkin Park who goes I don;t anybody thinks they are a great band but I don;t know how they even got popular.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/03/07 at 6:37 pm

Bands of the last 3 years:
The Killers
Snow Patrol's last effort
Arctic Monkeys (they're ok, but that "dancefloor" song was way overplayed, and not their best)
Franz Ferdinand

And a bunch of "emo" bands like My Chemical Romance, Panic!!!!! at the disco etc.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/03/07 at 7:04 pm

critics hate limp bizkit  ???. so do many, many, many, many, many non-critics.

who exactly is overrating them?

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/04/07 at 11:11 am

Yeah I didn;t understand why a song like "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol became popular I mean its just boring than again I don;t understand how artists like T-Pain, Akon, or Nelly became popular in this decade but thats for another thread though.

And the kids of today think Sinatra puts them to sleep!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/07 at 11:19 am

Bands of the last 3 years:
The Killers
Snow Patrol's last effort
Arctic Monkeys (they're ok, but that "dancefloor" song was way overplayed, and not their best)
Franz Ferdinand

And a bunch of "emo" bands like My Chemical Romance, Panic!!!!! at the disco etc.
What has happened to Snow Patrol?

Written By: Mac on 03/14/08 at 10:05 pm

"OK, since so many of my more preferred bands got raked over the coals, here's:

Hawk's Top 10 Overrated Artists Of All-Time

10. Led Zeppelin (The only thing I can give them is they took stuff that didn't really fit together & made it)
9. Poo Diddy (Need I expound?)
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd (I have 5 letters for these "exalted Southern rockers": ZZ Top)
7. Metallica (I have NEVER liked these yobs)
6. U2 (far too overplayed....just like Skynyrd)
5. Rolling Stones (c'mon, Keith....die, already!!!!)
4. The Doors (Jim Morrison was a tweaked freak, not a brooding genius)
3. Madonna (anything pre-"Blonde Ambition" qualifies as OK)
2. Brittney Spears (I'd smash her in a "Battle Of the Artists", anyday!)
AND! Hawk's Most Overrated Artist Of All-Time:
1. Whitney "Crack Ho" Houston"

Metallica? I guarantee the only reason you can come up with is that you cant handle the heavier stuff. I'd like you to find any band you hold so dear that has five albums like Metallica has -- Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Metallica. All five of those are some of the best records I've ever heard in my time of listening to music. Dont call something overrated just because you cant handle the style.

Hahaha...ZZ Top? Calling Skynyrd overrated really isnt even fair. They died pretty young. Their debut record was almost FLAWLESS. If not for a plane crash, Skynyrd could've gone on and on with great music. They left us with NUMEROUS classics.

The Doors??? (Thud) Morrison was indeed, a drughead/alcoholic...but I'd bet the reason you dont think he was brilliant is because you cant wrap your mind around his ideas he expressed in his lyrics. Morrison was just on another level, or in another world, compared to everyone else. And let us not forget, he had some of the best vocals in rock history...with one of the best keyboardist, Manzerak.

I dont have the patience to go through the rest, but Zeppelin? Jesus...WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO? You dont like Zeppelin, Stones, Doors, Skynyrd, or Metallica? Do you listen to Michael Bolton and Meat Loaf????

Written By: tv on 03/15/08 at 6:50 pm

The Eagles - maybe its just me, but I cannot relate to ego driven, coked-up, rock stars and their stories of delusion from days past. I don't feel any empathy for these rich egomaniacs, with too much drugs, girls or money. If I hear Hotel California just once more someone is gonna get hurt.

Oasis - VERY overrated. They've had they're moments, but comparing them to second coming of the Beatles (as some have) is asinine. Arrogance does not equal brilliance.

Gwen Stephani - Don't get it, the woman cannot sing and the songs are juvenile throwaway stuff made for Clear Channel programmers. Great for the masses, but no filling or substance, and no taste.

Dave Matthews Band - Something wrong here, theres talent, and good songwriting, but the overall sound, well just makes me want to switch the station when I hear it. I don't really know anyone (guys especially) that are, or is still a real fan, that bothers me, and I can't figure out why. I think they are some kind of semi evolved Hootie and the Blowfish and that frightens me...

Def Leppard
Journey (specifically and especially Steve Perry)
The Grateful Dead
Aerosmith
Barbara Streisand
Celine Dion
(Insert here) boy bands from the late 90's-00's.
Elton John (mid 80's-on)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (mid 90's-on)
The Cure (mid 90's-on)

Thats only a few that I can think of off the top of my head. More later...
Nobody labels the Backstreet Boys or N' Sync as great artists.

As for Gwen Stefani being overrated who thinks she is a great artist? I mean when she was in the band "No Doubt" they made a few good songs. I don;t think Gwen is overrated.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/15/08 at 9:02 pm

Their music was innovative and original for the time. That's really the only reason why they are considered so great. Otherwise I'd just put them down as being just another 60s rock band.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/16/08 at 9:08 pm

Lil Wayne (I think he sucks, never saw the appeal)
Daughtry (ok for a nickelback copycat I guess but not worth all the hype)
Kanye West (he's good but not as great as he seems)
Usher (ok singer, makes a lot of mediocre music)
Whiny "emo" rock
Coldplay (they're decent but they did get overrated)
Radiohead (they're pretty good but they're not quite god like they get hyped sometimes)
Black Eyed Peas (they were never that good)
Green Day (got way overrated in 2004 and 2005)
Eminem (too many dumb novelty songs, not enough "Lose Yourself"s)

Written By: mr moo on 03/19/08 at 6:41 am

-Justin Timberwhatever
-Virtually all rappers since 1990 (Though there are a few good ones)
-All whiny emo myspace bands that think they are "indie"
-Every Boy Band, ever (I mean those songs were so completely sh*t, no imagination)
-Motley Crue
-The Beatles (Granted they were good but not that good as everyone makes out)
-Michael Jackson
-Rolling Stones
-Oasis

Bolded for truth >:(

Written By: woops on 03/19/08 at 7:54 pm

Somewhat agree.

She's in her later 30s, and still acts/dress  as if she's 18 in music videos & interviews...  ::) :P

I wonder  what her No Doubt fans think... though probably "sell out" or "Better when she was in the band"

Written By: Dagwood on 03/19/08 at 11:04 pm

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd top my list.  I just never got the hype over any of them.

Written By: shiroihikari on 03/26/08 at 5:35 am

Hmmm...in my opinion, the Stones and the Beatles are pretty overrated.  I mean, the Beatles I can understand because of how massively influential and innovative they were, but their music in and of itself just doesn't float my boat.  The Stones I just plain dislike and don't understand why they continue to be so huge.

I actually kinda like the Beach Boys, though I will admit that a lot of their songs sound the same.

Somebody mentioned Rush...I actually don't think they're overrated at all.  Those guys are amazing musicians. 

As for Metallica, meh.  They were pretty good at one time, I suppose, though I'm not really into that kinda thing.

Written By: star80 on 03/26/08 at 7:40 am

Madonna
Whitney Houston
Mariah Carey
Faith Hill

Written By: star80 on 03/26/08 at 7:40 am

Madonna
Whitney Houston
Mariah Carey
Faith Hill

Oh yeah, forgot to add Celine Dion

Written By: Tia on 03/26/08 at 8:09 am

i'd go with all these except led zeppelin. aerosmith i pretty much liked three or four of their songs. the rest were/are uneven at best. i've never met a john cougar song i liked.

radiohead, pink floyd, led zeppelin, boston, and styx all are great bands despite what people say. (boston and styx actually dont take themselves that seriously, i don't think, so they don't have to be great, but they are, in fact, damn good.) the doors was a cool band but took themselves VERY seriously. i still think sometimes they deserved to take themselves as seriously as they did but still it got a little silly at times.

the rolling stones played very simple songs and as a guitar player keith richards pretty much sucked. still, i like a lot of their music and their effect on history was undeniable.

the grateful dead had some good songs. but they too got this cult following that was WAY out of proportion. i think basically they started giving away LSD at their shows as a gimmick (or as a CIA covert op, there's actually more evidence for that than you think) and a bunch of people started listening to their music on LSD and thinking they were amazing. guess what? try whacking on a telephone cable with a big stick when you're on LSD. that'll sound amazing, too.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/02/08 at 11:29 am

Lil Wayne (I think he sucks, never saw the appeal)
Daughtry (ok for a nickelback copycat I guess but not worth all the hype)
Kanye West (he's good but not as great as he seems)
Usher (ok singer, makes a lot of mediocre music)
Whiny "emo" rock
Coldplay (they're decent but they did get overrated)
Radiohead (they're pretty good but they're not quite god like they get hyped sometimes)
Black Eyed Peas (they were never that good)
Green Day (got way overrated in 2004 and 2005)
Eminem (too many dumb novelty songs, not enough "Lose Yourself"s)

I agree with pretty much all of those, especially Lil' Wayne and Usher. I just don't understand why so many of my friends, even those who don't listen to rap, find Lil' Wayne to be such a lyrical genius  ???. His image is also ridiculous, he makes Lil' John look like your average American! As for Usher, I just can't find the appeal of songs like 'Burn' and 'Confessions', though I can see why 'Yeah' was popular (mostly due to timing, I mean 2004 was probably the peak of bling raps popularity).

I have a few more artists I'd like to add...

Flava Flav (he had his moments, but is now just a tool of VH1...and besides, Chuck D was the real mastermind behind Public Enemy)
Bret Michaels (He sucked in Poison 20 years ago and he sucks just as much now. CC Deville is the only reason why that band isn't as ridiculed as, say, Warrant)
Metalcore trash (people are treating this the same way they treated thrash in the 80's, as a respectable alternative. The problem is that, while thrash was authentic underground "f**k MTV" music, Metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine are just pop-emo bands on steroids catering to Fuse and modern rock radio)
Pearl Jam (why they're still touring is beyond me, they haven't had a good record since 1993)
Flyleaf (a platinum album in an age of filesharing? Of all bands, this should not have been the band to attain one)
Guns N' Roses (don't get me wrong, I love GnR (aside from Axl), but they get WAY too much credit. Appetite for Destruction had a lot of filler in it too, even if many of the songs were classics)
AC/DC (Back in Black sold 22 million copies, yet I can only name 4 good songs on that record. Angus Young is just an average guitar player, and Brian Johnson's voice is AWFUL. If Bon Scott were still around they may have ended up better)
Slipknot (I absolutely HATE Corey Taylor. The guy is in his 30's yet he complains as if he were 14, talk about appealing to the lowest common denominator. I'll admit that Joey is a good drummer though)
Korn (I don't understand how putting out the same album seven times can make you timeless)
Randy Rhoads (he's a good guitar player, but had he not died young he would not have received the acclaim he gets)
Judas Priest (Rob Halford is the only real talent in that band, Iron Maiden is SO much better)
PANTERA (Dimebag Darrell was an innovative and great guitar player, but the rest of that band had no real merit, ESPECIALLY that egotistical prick Phil Ensalmo)

As for the person who said Rush...huh?  ??? They had one single to reach the top 10, they NEVER had a #1 album, and they rarely get played on anything other than classic rock radio (yet they didn't reach their peak until 1980). Besides, they're great musicians who are still adored by critics and fans, and NONE of their stuff seems dated (not even their synthisized 80's stuff  :D). So tell me, how are they overrated?

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 9:40 am

I agree with pretty much all of those, especially Lil' Wayne and Usher. I just don't understand why so many of my friends, even those who don't listen to rap, find Lil' Wayne to be such a lyrical genius  ???. His image is also ridiculous, he makes Lil' John look like your average American! As for Usher, I just can't find the appeal of songs like 'Burn' and 'Confessions', though I can see why 'Yeah' was popular (mostly due to timing, I mean 2004 was probably the peak of bling raps popularity).

I have a few more artists I'd like to add...

Flava Flav (he had his moments, but is now just a tool of VH1...and besides, Chuck D was the real mastermind behind Public Enemy)
Bret Michaels (He sucked in Poison 20 years ago and he sucks just as much now. CC Deville is the only reason why that band isn't as ridiculed as, say, Warrant)
Metalcore trash (people are treating this the same way they treated thrash in the 80's, as a respectable alternative. The problem is that, while thrash was authentic underground "f**k MTV" music, Metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine are just pop-emo bands on steroids catering to Fuse and modern rock radio)
Pearl Jam (why they're still touring is beyond me, they haven't had a good record since 1993)
Flyleaf (a platinum album in an age of filesharing? Of all bands, this should not have been the band to attain one)
Guns N' Roses (don't get me wrong, I love GnR (aside from Axl), but they get WAY too much credit. Appetite for Destruction had a lot of filler in it too, even if many of the songs were classics)
AC/DC (Back in Black sold 22 million copies, yet I can only name 4 good songs on that record. Angus Young is just an average guitar player, and Brian Johnson's voice is AWFUL. If Bon Scott were still around they may have ended up better)
Slipknot (I absolutely HATE Corey Taylor. The guy is in his 30's yet he complains as if he were 14, talk about appealing to the lowest common denominator. I'll admit that Joey is a good drummer though)
Korn (I don't understand how putting out the same album seven times can make you timeless)
Randy Rhoads (he's a good guitar player, but had he not died young he would not have received the acclaim he gets)
Judas Priest (Rob Halford is the only real talent in that band, Iron Maiden is SO much better)
PANTERA (Dimebag Darrell was an innovative and great guitar player, but the rest of that band had no real merit, ESPECIALLY that egotistical prick Phil Ensalmo)

As for the person who said Rush...huh?  ??? They had one single to reach the top 10, they NEVER had a #1 album, and they rarely get played on anything other than classic rock radio (yet they didn't reach their peak until 1980). Besides, they're great musicians who are still adored by critics and fans, and NONE of their stuff seems dated (not even their synthisized 80's stuff  :D). So tell me, how are they overrated?
Yeah Lil Wayne I don;t get the appeal of Lollipop" or "A Milli". As for Usher I like some of his stuff from 1997-2004.

Pearl Jam did put out good songs after 1993 but I agree after 2001 why are they still around?

Some GEN Yers are gonna hate me but I'm just gonna say it "Beyonce" is a tad overrated I mean she really dosen't have any great songs. I mean yeah she is a nice voice and the "it" factor but no trademark songs. I mean Jody Watley back in the late 80's had the trademark songs that Beyonce doesn't have and I understand Jody did get played on Top 40 back then but Jody never had the album sales that Beyonce gets.

Young Jeezy is overrated I mean MTV( a panel) had him on the list as one of the greatest Top 20 rappers thats around now. Please Talib Kweli has alot more talent than him. I don't even think "Talib Kweli" was even on the list for greatest Top 20 rappers on that show.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/03/08 at 10:36 am

Some GEN Yers are gonna hate me but I'm just gonna say it "Beyonce" is a tad overrated I mean she really dosen't have any great songs. I mean yeah she is a nice voice and the "it" factor but no trademark songs. I mean Jody Watley back in the late 80's had the trademark songs that Beyonce doesn't have and I understand Jody did get played on Top 40 back then but Jody never had the album sales that Beyonce gets.

Young Jeezy is overrated I mean MTV( a panel) had him on the list as one of the greatest Top 20 rappers thats around now. Please Talib Kweli has alot more talent than him. I don't even think "Talib Kweli" was even on the list for greatest Top 20 rappers on that show.

I totally agree that Beyonce is WAY too overhyped, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that she's promoted by Jay-Z, who has a very tight grip on the hip hop industry (eh, at least he's better than that hack Diddy). I can't stand her as a person, and back in Destiny's Child she would fire a member as soon as they started to get as popular as her. I actually think it's funny how Rihanna has totally usurped her as Jay-Z's biggest promotion  ;D. As for Young Jeezy? He's just part of the bigger bling rap fad that is thankfully going the way of the dodo at this point (2008 is far more diverse in terms of #1 hits, and I'm thinking that 'Low' may be the last true bling rap hit - even Coldplay topped the Hot 100 with 'Viva La Vida'). Talib Kweli is actually talented, so of course he's better than Jeezy  :D. I have to ask, was Lupe Fiasco on this 'top 20' list?  ???

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 10:44 am

I totally agree that Beyonce is WAY too overhyped, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that she's promoted by Jay-Z, who has a very tight grip on the hip hop industry (eh, at least he's better than that hack Diddy). I can't stand her as a person, and back in Destiny's Child she would fire a member as soon as they started to get as popular as her. I actually think it's funny how Rihanna has totally usurped her as Jay-Z's biggest promotion  ;D. As for Young Jeezy? He's just part of the bigger bling rap fad that is thankfully going the way of the dodo at this point (2008 is far more diverse in terms of #1 hits, and I'm thinking that 'Low' may be the last true bling rap hit - even Coldplay topped the Hot 100 with 'Viva La Vida'). Talib Kweli is actually talented, so of course he's better than Jeezy  :D. I have to ask, was Lupe Fiasco on this 'top 20' list?  ???
Yes, Lupe was on the top 20 list. As for Beyonce kicking people out of Destiny Child's well her father was/is the manager of the group wasn;t he?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/03/08 at 1:42 pm

Couldn't agree more on that one. I've heard one or two of there songs, and they were horrible. 8-P

Yeah, I don't really like either of them either. Come to think of it, there have been alot of overrated bands and artists from the '00s. ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/03/08 at 8:39 pm

I like a few Beyonce songs but she's definitely overrated when you think about it, actually I only really liked the singles off Dangerously In Love and "Irreplaceable", but I think the rest of "B'Day" pretty much is terrible and annoying, and I didn't like "Check on It" really.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/03/08 at 8:42 pm

Lil Wayne is most overrated rapper ever imo, I mean people are WORSHIPING this guy as some kind of savior now. Pitchfork gave his album a 8.7. All this "best rapper alive" talk, the guy is not that good.

Written By: woops on 07/06/08 at 4:52 pm

I agree that there's tons of overrated artists from this decade. Though probably because I'm not "hip" with the current music scenes.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/06/08 at 5:19 pm

I agree that there's tons of overrated artists from this decade. Though probably because I'm not "hip" with the current music scenes.

Don't worry, I'm only 18 and already I feel like I've outgrown pretty much all music popular right now (other than Coldplay or veteran bands like Foo Fighters). You can't help but notice the desperate attempt by the labels to make a profit in this age of filesharing, and at this point I can definitely see the dollar slipping from their greasy gluttonous grip (alliteration  ::)) ever so gradually  ;D. If you look back on popular music, you'll notice that every pop fad at the end of every decade since the 70's has been usurped by something edgy and real. In the 80's, disco was killed by punk and new wave; in the 90's, hairmetal and synthpop were killed by grunge and gangsta rap; this decade, teen pop was destroyed by the goliath that is bling (or glam) rap. Now that glam rap has pretty much faded (except Lil' Wayne and Flo Rida), it seems that all that's left is pop-emo, tween pop, and metalcore...and in my opinion, all that is going to be destroyed by independent rock and alternative hip hop in the 2010's. Hey, we live in hope right?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/06/08 at 6:48 pm

Lil Wayne is most overrated rapper ever imo, I mean people are WORSHIPING this guy as some kind of savior now. Pitchfork gave his album a 8.7. All this "best rapper alive" talk, the guy is not that good.

One of his albums was rated that highly? :o

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how anybody could think he is any different or better than any other modern day rapper. 8-P

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/08/08 at 8:29 pm

AEROSMITH AND KISS BOTH ARE OVERRATED ABD ALWAYS HAVE BEEN

Written By: Dukefan on 07/11/08 at 1:33 am

The Eagles - maybe its just me, but I cannot relate to ego driven, coked-up, rock stars and their stories of delusion from days past. I don't feel any empathy for these rich egomaniacs, with too much drugs, girls or money. If I hear Hotel California just once more someone is gonna get hurt.I'm so happy someone finally translated what I've been feeling all these years into words.

on a different note...

BON JOVI

Written By: Davester on 07/11/08 at 4:09 am

AEROSMITH AND KISS BOTH ARE OVERRATED ABD ALWAYS HAVE BEEN

I think so too, both.  KISS is a guilty pleasure...

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/11/08 at 8:20 am

I'm so happy someone finally translated what I've been feeling all these years into words.

on a different note...

BON JOVI

Yep Overrated just cause hes so pretty. Lame music though

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/11/08 at 1:35 pm

- Rush
- KISS
- Boston/Kansas (basically any band with a city/state/country as their name)
- Lynard Skynard (I'm freeee as a biiiird yeah...! oh please, shutup!)
- Meatloaf (with his 30 minute + ballads)
- Post 1980 Aerosmith (pre-1980 Aerosmith was awesome though)
- U2 (even if I do like them a bit)
- Styx (come sail away... come saaiil away! ugh!)
I've only ever heard Touch of Grey played on radio here
& Casey Jones

Yeah I gotta agree
with your entire list
kiss 8-P
boston music all sounds the same
pre 1980 Aerosmith was great stuff
kansas who cares (one hit wonder)
U2 too self important
Styx Gag, my husbands fav I detest this overrated piece of donkey dung band. I also detest Dennis Deyoung and his crappy music and songwriting. I wish Kilroy was here and would smack him upside his dopey head.

whew I feel better now

Written By: Shlarin on 07/13/08 at 1:36 am

Although there may be a song or two from each band that I like...

Barenaked Ladies
Bee Gees
Bush
Counting Crows
Dashboard Confessional
Led Zepplin
Miley Cyrus
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Staind
Stone Temple Pilots

"Overrated" bands that I actually like..  a lot:

Coldplay
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
The Killers

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/13/08 at 9:26 am

Although there may be a song or two from each band that I like...

Barenaked Ladies
Bee Gees
Bush
Counting Crows
Dashboard Confessional
Led Zepplin
Miley Cyrus
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Staind
Stone Temple Pilots

"Overrated" bands that I actually like..  a lot:

Coldplay
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
The Killers

Is Bush still around?

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/08 at 10:27 pm

Bush were OK.  I liked Glycerine.  Here in Canada, they called themselves Bush X because the late Domenic Troiano had a band in the 70s called Bush.  They later worked out a deal, and Troiano sold the name to Gavin Rossdale

Written By: Shlarin on 07/17/08 at 3:35 pm

Bush were OK.  I liked Glycerine.  Here in Canada, they called themselves Bush X because the late Domenic Troiano had a band in the 70s called Bush.  They later worked out a deal, and Troiano sold the name to Gavin Rossdale

Glycerine is a pretty good song..  so is Little Things.  But besides those two, I couldn't really get myself to enjoy their other hits.

I think Bush broke up several years ago but their lead singer is pursuing a solo career..

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/18/08 at 7:02 pm

I think Jefferson Airplane is way up there when it comes to overrated bands.

There were probably better garage bands in Sioux City, Iowa in 1966-67, but I think that the members of "the Airplane" just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/08 at 2:38 am

I think Jefferson Airplane is way up there when it comes to overrated bands.

There were probably better garage bands in Sioux City, Iowa in 1966-67, but I think that the members of "the Airplane" just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Hey, throw on those headphones so Grace Slick can scream her lungs out in your ears!

I'll tell you overrated: Boston.  I'm not talking about the city, though it qualifies in its own division, no, I mean the band, man!  Listening to that stuff was a chore.  It's how guys could get sympathy menstrual cramps!

And then there was that toothache of a song "Amanda," which everybody loved sr. year of high school!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/homework.gif

Written By: star80 on 08/22/08 at 12:28 pm

Boston
Kansas
U2
Janet Jackson

Written By: danootaandme on 08/22/08 at 3:26 pm

That Rolling Stones imitation band....Aerosmith

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/08 at 6:03 pm

Ted Nugent
Guns 'n' Roses
Zack Wylde (the Ozzy guitarist)
Chumbawamba
Sinead O'Connor (everything post Lion & the Cobra)
Canned Heat
Def Leppard
Rush

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 6:10 pm

Hey, throw on those headphones so Grace Slick can scream her lungs out in your ears!

I'll tell you overrated: Boston.  I'm not talking about the city, though it qualifies in its own division, no, I mean the band, man!  Listening to that stuff was a chore.  It's how guys could get sympathy menstrual cramps!

And then there was that toothache of a song "Amanda," which everybody loved sr. year of high school!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/homework.gif

I agree everything they record sounds the same.... 8-P Amanda

Written By: Step-chan on 08/23/08 at 5:09 pm

That Rolling Stones imitation band....Aerosmith

I'm confused by the comparison you made.(I don't mean anything bad by it, I just don't think they sound like the Stones)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/08 at 2:43 am

One word (not two): Meatloaf
and by default, Jim Steinman

Written By: woops on 08/25/08 at 4:39 pm

Katey Perry, she's basically the Plain White T's or Soulja Boi of 2008  8-P

Written By: midnite on 08/25/08 at 6:26 pm

Agreed. I dont understand why everyone is making a big deal about her song - Jill Sobule basically did the same song 15 years ago.

Written By: tv on 08/26/08 at 10:34 am

Agreed. I dont understand why everyone is making a big deal about her song - Jill Sobule basically did the same song 15 years ago.

Yeah the 2 songs have the same theme and title(jill Sobule and Katy Perry's version) but its not like Katy Perry is covering Jill Sobule's song of the same title.

Written By: tv on 08/26/08 at 10:36 am

No, Soulja Boy is not a one-hit wonder I agree with you that the "Plain With T's"are a one-hit wonder though.

Written By: Davester on 08/26/08 at 7:28 pm

I'm confused by the comparison you made.(I don't mean anything bad by it, I just don't think they sound like the Stones)

Aerosmith are sometimes referred-to as the "poor man's Rolling Stones"...

And thank goodness they don't sound like the Stones...

Written By: midnite on 08/26/08 at 7:42 pm

Yeah the 2 songs have the same theme and title(jill Sobule and Katy Perry's version) but its not like Katy Perry is covering Jill Sobule's song of the same title.

Of course it is not the same song, but everybody thinks it is so tongue-in-cheeks.  It is not. This theme has come and gone before.  WAAAAAYYY OVERRATED!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/08 at 11:37 pm

THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/08 at 12:45 pm

With all the current promotion of their latest album Viva la Vida and the radio play of the tracks from it, Coldplay are falling into the trap of being the Most Overrated Bands/Artists of All Time.

Written By: Davester on 08/30/08 at 10:21 pm

Jimi Hendrix is an overrated musician, IMO.  Perhaps it's not his musicianship that's so highly rated but something he represented.  Or maybe it's the context of the situation.  Or not.  I've listened to various misc. Hendrix tunes on classic rock radio and he sounds like an average blues guitar player and vocalist.  Not bad, just average...

It's worth repeating that I wouldn't know good music if it reached up and poked me in the eye.  Having said that I'll compare Jimi Hendrix with Jimmy Page - Page is order and beauty; Hendrix is randomness and repetition.  I guess I have an ear for the former...

I know a large part of Hendrix's appeal is that he was an innovator.  Fair enough.  But to call him good is a stretch.  You definitley have to be innovative to be good, but you also have to be good to be good... ;)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/01/08 at 8:56 pm

Mariah Carey................. 8-P

Written By: woops on 12/20/08 at 1:19 pm

Top 5 of 2008

5. Lady Gaga

On one of her songs  she mentioned that pop music will never be low brow, but she isn't really helping or making it any better...

4. Katy Perry

'nuff said

3. MGMT

Emo, hipster, indie, whatever it's still alternative to me. Anyways, they're nothing really special and just a throwback to the '70's.

2. Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana (tie)

Ugh! I liked Disney when they did animation  not manufactured pop acts!

1. BS

Why does the media still kiss up to her music and the whole "Video of the Year" thing was basically MTV's way of apologizing for her 2007 fiasco... which they were part of the blame

Written By: tv on 12/20/08 at 7:14 pm

Top 5 of 2008

5. Lady Gaga

On one of her songs  she mentioned that pop music will never be low brow, but she isn't really helping or making it any better...

4. Katy Perry

'nuff said

3. MGMT

Emo, hipster, indie, whatever it's still alternative to me. Anyways, they're nothing really special and just a throwback to the '70's.

2. Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana (tie)

Ugh! I liked Disney when they did animation  not manufactured pop acts!

1. BS

Why does the media still kiss up to her music and the whole "Video of the Year" thing was basically MTV's way of apologizing for her 2007 fiasco... which they were part of the blame
Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana are overrated? I don;t think anybody thinks they are musical genuises.

MGMT-They're decent from the one song I have heard but they have proven anything yet.

Britney Spears-we all know why she is famous because she always keeps her name in the media to stay popular and it never fails her for some reason. I don;t think anybody thinks she is a musical genuis.

Written By: tv on 12/20/08 at 7:22 pm

I'm gonna go back to one of my posts that I made earlier on on this thread and "Lil Wayne" is the most overrated artist of this year or the past 3 years. He is way too overhyped.

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/08 at 12:10 am

I actually think the Stones are HIGHLY overrated.

thought I was the only one who thought this

I LOVE Journey... and rap

Basically all heavy metal/hair bands suck. as well as all country artists  ;D

but really the heavy metal crap. Any one who SCREAMs into a mic and calls that singing is totally overrated. 

Written By: 80sfan on 03/10/09 at 10:34 pm

Classical music! Lol.  ;D

Just kidding, I think those people were extremely smart and had good musical instincts.

Go Beethoven!

Written By: anabel on 03/11/09 at 9:58 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent1.gif      Sorry, I couldn't find my rake.  I know it's here somewhere.........

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wave.gif    Just kidding!!  I totally respect your opinion.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/toothy4.gif

Written By: Dagwood on 03/11/09 at 10:18 pm

thought I was the only one who thought this

Nope, I think the Rolling Stones, as well as Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin, are all over rated.

Written By: Frank on 03/12/09 at 12:30 am

Aerosmith
Hall and Oates
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Aretha Franklin
Rush

..just a small list

Written By: Midas on 03/12/09 at 9:46 am

THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!

THANK YOU!  Karma!

Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/whatever his name is.  From "All About The Benjamins": "Don't let the melody intrigue you..."  Melody?!?  WHAT melody?  It's ONE FREAKIN' NOTE!!!

Written By: woops on 07/18/09 at 1:28 pm

I never got into Rush (which the band is constantly kissed upon on classic rock oriented VH1 Classic)

Written By: Frank on 07/18/09 at 1:31 pm

I never got into Rush (which the band is constantly kissed upon on classic rock oriented VH1 Classic)

Totally agree with you, it's just Getty Lee's voice, it's....just not pleasant to my ears.

Written By: tv on 07/23/09 at 2:07 pm

Aerosmith
Hall and Oates
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Aretha Franklin
Rush

..just a small list
Hall and Oates I think is actually underrated.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/09 at 10:42 am

Hall and Oates I think is actually underrated.

Yeah, they're still one of my favorite bands. They have so many catchy songs from about '81-84, and also were one of those bands that bridged pop and (kinda) rock with R&B.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/26/09 at 6:46 pm

Aerosmith are sometimes referred-to as the "poor man's Rolling Stones"...

And thank goodness they don't sound like the Stones...

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've never actually heard of anyone call them that.

Check for new replies or respond here...