» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: best DVD commentary

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/07 at 7:10 pm

inspired by my last topic which was inspired by +++Hot Stuff+++

okay these are probably not the BEST but I enjoyed them

Goonies because during parts of the commentary you get actual glimpses of the actors while they are making the comments

Catch that Kid (horrible movie) but I liked the commentary because the kids (who acted in it) were all into the commentary and hypercritical- in a fun way- of each other.  It seemed like they enjoyed the process.

I know there are more- and much better ones-  but I am at work and can't think of them right now.

Subject: Re: best DVD commentary

Written By: woops on 09/28/07 at 7:34 pm

"Looney Tunes Golden Collection", mostly animation buff Jerry Beck, Paul Dini, veteran voice artists June Foray & Stan Freberg

John K's ok, though more opinionated/full than himself

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 7:37 pm

The best would have to be the commentary by Whitey and Eleanor in Adam Sandler Movie Eight Crazy Nights.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/29/07 at 10:05 pm

Any of the commentaries on the (original) Dawn Of The Dead Ultimate Edition DVD's.

Also the cast commentary on Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls.

Any of John Water's commentarys are also great.

The commentaries on Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 are also lots of fun....

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/07 at 1:36 am

The best commentary I have encountered is Ron Howard on his film A Beautiful Mind.

Written By: Gis on 10/01/07 at 6:07 am

Hmm Funniest are the ones on Hot Fuzz.

I really enjoyed the commetaries on The Fellowship of the Ring, very interesting and entertaining. The cast one was very good, loads of little anecdotes about filming. Like Sean Bean being afraid of flying so each morning he would hike up the mountainside to do that days filming! The others said they used to fly up in a helicopter and see this little speck toiling away up the snowy hillside and think 'there he is'.

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/07 at 9:22 am

Hmm Funniest are the ones on Hot Fuzz.

I really enjoyed the commetaries on The Fellowship of the Ring, very interesting and entertaining. The cast one was very good, loads of little anecdotes about filming. Like Sean Bean being afraid of flying so each morning he would hike up the mountainside to do that days filming! The others said they used to fly up in a helicopter and see this little speck toiling away up the snowy hillside and think 'there he is'.

I just saw Hot Fuzz but didn't get around to the commentary I will have to check it out. 
I watch Premonition and was on the fence about film but the commentary pushed me closer to the I liked it side (even tho there are tons of holes in the film)

Its been awhile since I watched it but I seem to recall liking the commentary to Sixth Sense.

Written By: anthead on 10/04/07 at 3:53 pm

some of my favorite commentaries include:

robert altman on mash
john waters on serial mom
pt anderson on boogie nights
danny boyle and crew on millions, 28 days later and train spotting
michelle gondry and charlie kaufman on eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
oliver stone on nixon and jfk
tobe hooper on texas chainsaw massacre
sam ramie on evil dead
ben burt on any star wars movie
robert rodriguez on once upon a time in mexico
terry gilliam on 12 monkeys and fear and loathing in las vegas
hunter thompson on fear and loathing

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 3:59 pm

mine are philip kaufman on the 78 invasion of the body snatchers
ollie stone on jfk and nixon (he gave TWO full-length commentaries on each, which attests to a prodigious ego, but the commentaries are so fascinating i'll give him a bye...)
and whoever was on "wanda the wicked warden," a jess franco movie you've never heard of.

Written By: anthead on 10/04/07 at 4:09 pm

I just saw Hot Fuzz but didn't get around to the commentary I will have to check it out. 
I watch Premonition and was on the fence about film but the commentary pushed me closer to the I liked it side (even tho there are tons of holes in the film)

Its been awhile since I watched it but I seem to recall liking the commentary to Sixth Sense.

oh yeah, i forgot that m night shamalan commentaries are good too

as are the commentaries on godfather 1 & 2

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/04/07 at 6:30 pm

i love the trivia track (it's like "pop-up video") that's on the Showgirls: V.I.P. edition DVD. it's SO much better than the commentary that was included. it's fascinating......one of the tid bits was that Elizabeth Berkley wanted the role of Nomi because she "felt close to the charecter"  :o.

and the commentary on I Spit On Your Grave by the director is one of my very favorites. it's interesting to hear the real story behind it.....

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 10:29 pm

the commentary track on "last house on dead end street" is quite good, the interviewer is such a huge fan of the director, and the director is such an unashamed drug addict... so the interviewer is all, "oh, my god, this next scene is such a brilliant homage to 2001: a space odyssey and i love how you used the telephoto lens here on an interior shot with the day-to-night lighting and yaddayadda..." and the director is all, "oh, yeah, well, i was on so much crystal meth for this whole shoot i probably just forgot to change the lens." it's quite funny. and the magic is only enhanced by the fact that without the commentary track, the movie is completely abhorrent and unwatchable.

Check for new replies or respond here...