» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Most Underrated Band/Artists of all time

Written By: woops on 10/03/07 at 12:37 am

Most people would know who I consider as one of the most underrated artists...

I'll think of some artists...

Subject: Re: Most Underrated Band/Artists of all time

Written By: holicman on 10/03/07 at 2:10 am

Of current bands I think Coldplay are under rated, or maybe even the lyrical and musical genius of Chris Martin.

I think Delta goodrem is very underrated too.

The Smashing pumpkins and Faith no more srping to mind also.

Also, listen to a song called "Falling". It was written by a lady named Julie Cruise. It was the theme song for the Mini series "twin Peaks" back in the early nineties.

Great program but the music itself was eerily beautiful and deserves a mention too.

Last one I will add is the artist who created the beatiful piano ballad for the TV series "The young and the restless".

:)

Written By: woops on 10/03/07 at 3:23 am

Faith No More are great ("Epic", "Falling To Pieces", "Easy"), though The Smashing Pumpkins were/are very popular and even were on heavy rotation on MTV and radio

Dokken, they have great songs like "Breaking the Chains", "In My Dreams", "It's Not Love". But hardly talked about.

Love & Rockets, alternative band with songs like their cover "Ball of Confusion" & "No New Tale ToTell"

The Cult, Ian Astbury is one of the best rock vocalists

Natasha Bedingfield, I know she's too recent of an artist... but should be more popular in the states. I'm afraid her upcoming US release of "NB" will be overshadowed...

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/07 at 11:36 am

I'm going to say Procol Harum. Almost everyone knows this band with 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' and a few more know them with 'Conquistador'. But what they don't know is that they made an Epic song and have songs with great piano and guitar work.

And only a few bands such as Genesis and Billy Joel are heavily influenced by this band.

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/03/07 at 11:47 am

Of current bands I think Coldplay are under rated, or maybe even the lyrical and musical genius of Chris Martin.

I think Delta goodrem is very underrated too.

The Smashing pumpkins and Faith no more srping to mind also.

Also, listen to a song called "Falling". It was written by a lady named Julie Cruise. It was the theme song for the Mini series "twin Peaks" back in the early nineties.

Great program but the music itself was eerily beautiful and deserves a mention too.

Last one I will add is the artist who created the beatiful piano ballad for the TV series "The young and the restless".

:)

How are the Pumpkins underrated?

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/07 at 11:52 am

In North America, the Manic Street PReachers are underrated, but also really unknown.  The kind of music they do would fit right in with the rock that's in the charts now.  How they have not had big success in the US or Canada is a big mystery to me ?

Written By: Trimac20 on 10/03/07 at 11:56 am

In North America, the Manic Street PReachers are underrated, but also really unknown.  The kind of music they do would fit right in with the rock that's in the charts now.  How they have not had big success in the US or Canada is a big mystery to me ?

I think America is ignorant to about 90% of the good music that comes out of the UK. Unfortunately alot of the music from the UK they embrace is crap.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/03/07 at 6:47 pm

There is a lot of rock released today that goes un-noticed, and gets put to one side whilst bands like The Killers, My Chemical Romance or Nickelback get main stage.

And The Black Crowes (aside from their first album, they're virtually unknown)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/03/07 at 7:05 pm

I think America is ignorant to about 90% of the good music that comes out of the UK. Unfortunately alot of the music from the UK they embrace is crap.

i know!  >:(

i'm so jealous about what does/what has become popular in the U.K. (The Smiths for example.....).

Written By: Step-chan on 10/03/07 at 8:27 pm

I don't know if this counts, but The Vaselines come to mind. Alot of Nirvana fans know of them(like me).

I own their Compilation(The way of the Vaselines), and there are some good songs on it(along with what Nirvana covered).

Written By: woops on 10/03/07 at 9:11 pm

Oingo Boingo, besides "Weird Science"...though they're often played many times on my local alternative station

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/04/07 at 6:28 am

....I consider Blondie to be underrated. It doesn't seem like people take them that seriously. And I hate it when people call them a "singles band"!  >:( >:( >:( All of their albums (with the exception of 82's The Hunter, which is atleast still intresting) are great, especially their first 5, which are all masterpieces.

The Runaways (very little known band, which Joan Jett was in) were also great, but people consider them to be a joke.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/421568607_475867ccd7.jpg?v=0

Heart is also an underrated band. It seems alot of female fronted rock bands are underrated.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/04/07 at 4:36 pm

....I consider Blondie to be underrated. It doesn't seem like people take them that seriously. And I hate it when people call them a "singles band"!  >:( >:( >:( All of their albums (with the exception of 82's The Hunter, which is atleast still intresting) are great, especially their first 5, which are all masterpieces.

The Runaways (very little known band, which Joan Jett was in) were also great, but people consider them to be a joke.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/421568607_475867ccd7.jpg?v=0

Heart is also an underrated band. It seems alot of female fronted rock bands are underrated.

Agree with you on Heart.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/08/07 at 11:35 am

The Tubes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/07 at 8:51 pm

Depeche Mode

It matters not that DM has sold over 100 million records worldwide.  "Serious music" critics have always dismissed them as just bubblegum.  I listen to A LOT of music of all kinds, and I say Depeche Mode deserves a hell of a lot more credit, especially at their most create era, '82--'90.  A big deal in "serious music" circles is "electroacoustic music."  Depeche Mode created electroacoustic music in a pop song format.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroacoustic_music
BTW, the list of notable electroacoustic composers in this wiki article include many of my current favorites.

The Smiths

Much of the acclaim for The Smiths focuses on the Morissey persona and the throngs of fans who love the Morrissey persona (I was one!).  The critics still didn't understand that Morrissey/Marr was a songwriting duo on the level of Simon & Garfunkel. 

The Legendary Pink Dots

(years active: 1980--present)

Virtually unknown outside a loyal "cult" following, LPD is whirl of psychedelic pop, spacy synth jams, neo-folk, jazz & classical styles, hard rock, musique concrete, and everything but the kitchen sink.  When they do get a mention in the music press, they're compared to their "influences," Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd, Can, Gong, and Faust--all of whom the band has cited as influences.  However, LPD doesn't really sound like anything else.  They're unique.  They merit being judged on their own music, not as compared to "prog rock" icons.

Muslimgauze

(years active: 1982 -- 1998)

Bryn Jones was a percussionist with a passion for Muslim culture and politics.  He was even more ignored than LPD, possibly because writers feared blowback if they praised such a controversial character.

There is much to criticize about Muslimgauze.  Aside from the late Bryn Jones being an anti-semite, he released an overkill of albums, CDs, cassettes, singles, and DATs.  His discography hit the 100 mark by the time of his sudden death in January of 1999.  New releases of archival material is reissued a dozen or more each year since.  This is terrific for a handful of hardcore Muslimgauze fans.  The problem is with Staalplaat releasing everything Jones recorded, a lot of his music sounds very similar as he worked out ideas over many tracks.

Written By: woops on 01/01/09 at 5:43 pm

Cinderella and Ratt are actually quite good, though not acknowledged or talked about much  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/09 at 1:32 am

Lady GaGa is still underrated I think, she's rising now but she hasn't yet had the success she deserves.

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/02/09 at 9:59 pm

I am going to say Mary J. Blige.  Now, I know a lot of people have heard of her and heard her music.  I just can't understand why she has never won more Grammy's.  She has won 8 with a career that has span 16 years and 8 albums.  She has also done several compilations among them One with Bono, and her Grammy award winning appearance with Method Man of the Wu-Tang Clan. Of her 8 Grammy wins 4 have been for Colaborations and not her solo work...The Bono duet won nothing although it was nominated. SO how is it that she has been dubbed the "Queen of Hip Hop Soul" yet she is not recognized with Grammy's the way others are?

Check for new replies or respond here...