» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: National pride in music's fan base.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/04/07 at 5:26 pm

Reading through many threads over the past two years I have noticed that many Canadian and Australian
members seem to favor the bands that formed in their homeland. I've recently been thinking that the majority
of bands that I consider my favorites are from outside the U.S.. My taste in music evolved over the years but
where the bands come from remain the same. My list through the decades:

The Nice..(England)
King Crimson..(England)
Atomic Rooster..(England)
Emerson Lake & Palmer..(England)
Yes..(England)
Jethro Tull..(England)
Rush..(Canada)
Triumvirat..(Germany)
Nektar..(Germany)
Dead Kennedys..(U.S.A.)
Asia..(England)
XTC..(England)
Split Enz..(New Zealand)
Franz Ferdinand..(Scotland)
Drop Kick Murphys..(U.S.A.)
Within Temptation..(Netherlands)
Epica..(Netherlands)
The Gathering..(Netherlands)
Elis..(Liechtenstein)
Leaves' Eyes..(Norway)
Nightwish..(Finland)
Moonspell..(Portugal)
Lacuna Coil..(Italy)

Only two of my favorites are from the good ole USA. I think the reason I have no real link to American music or
bands is because the American musician tends to be lazy. Musicians in Europe, especially in England, have no problem
telling you their musical backround is in Classical Music. They have no problem with hours upon hours working on etudes
whereas their American counterparts seem to say, "Teach me a few power chords, a couple of great riffs and get out of
my way, I going to write a hit song." I like complexity, I like syncopation, give me something more than a 4/4 time
signature.

Subject: Re: National pride in music's fan base.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/04/07 at 6:58 pm

I must admit to not knowing most from your list but of the ones I do, I get a good picture of the music you appreciate.  It seems to me that the focus is more on money and fame in the US and maybe a bit less honest.  Take Kiss for instance.  I've just listed them on another thread as one of the most overrated bands of all time.  I think their songs are s**t.  They're all about the presence and the money.  Now, you take bands like Rush or XTC and it's so obvious they're in it for the right reasons.  Geddy Lee does nothing to make himself pretty and Partridge can't really even tour to support his own stuff. 

Anyhow, I may try to find some of the others on your list.  I've always got my ears open for some intelligent music.

Oh, and to reply to your post, I love They Might Be Giants because they're inventive and goofy and limitless (and they live in Brooklyn).  So I guess you do kinda support the people in your own backyard.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/05/07 at 1:35 am

I guess I fell it's sort of my duty to support & promote the local music scene. It is awfully hard for even well known New Zealand artists to break the international stage so to speak. Many have tried, few have succeeded (Split Enz springs to mind).

Also the international acts we get in New Zealand are from a wide area of countries. Mostly from the UK, Australia & Europe as well as the US and Canada. I've looked at many US charts in comparison to one in New Zealand, and the level of American artists on the American charts probably looking at around 90%, the other 10% being from the UK. So it's different marketing etc.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/05/07 at 5:22 pm

I guess I fell it's sort of my duty to support & promote the local music scene. It is awfully hard for even well known New Zealand artists to break the international stage so to speak. Many have tried, few have succeeded (Split Enz springs to mind).

I put the Split Enz on my list.  ;D

Anyway, I just don't hold that kind of loyalty. It's not that I don't listen to music with the "Made In America" label is just
I prefer music from abroad. My taste has evolved from the progressive movement of the late 60's and 70's to the symphonic/
opera metal sound of today, with a little punk thrown in for good measure.

If I were to go through my album and CD collection A small percentage of material would be that of American artist so my
musical loyalty lies elsewhere, I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same or if they feel like yourself and feel it's their
duty to support local music.

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/07 at 11:51 pm

When it comes to music, I always sing a Canadian tune ;D

There are many of Canadian bands that make it big outside of Canada, but compared to the ones that don't, it's a really small number.  What not alot of people know is that compared to the US chart, we actually get far more music than America does.  Both past and present, alot of International artists perform better in Canada then they do in the States.  And though I can't speak for yesterday, I know in today's music it's due to the increasing popularity of rap, r&b and hip-hop in the US chart.  In Canada, those genres of music only populate maybe 20-30% of the chart.  It's mostly country, pop, and rock up here

Written By: loki 13 on 10/07/07 at 1:01 pm

When it comes to music, I always sing a Canadian tune ;D

Jason, your pride in Canadian artist is the inspiration for this thread but one thing, the only Canadian artist on my list of favorites
is one I know you are not too fond of.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/07 at 1:55 pm

Jason, your pride in Canadian artist is the inspiration for this thread but one thing, the only Canadian artist on my list of favorites
is one I know you are not too fond of.  ;)

Yeah, when it comes to Rush, i'd rather listen to someone fart ;D
The only Rush song I like is 'Subdivisions' and even that one I get easily sick of lol

Written By: loki 13 on 10/07/07 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, when it comes to Rush, i'd rather listen to someone fart ;D
The only Rush song I like is 'Subdivisions' and even that one I get easily sick of lol

I only put Rush on my list because of the 70's Rush, "A Farewell To Kings" is one of my favorite albums. I am
also fond of "Caress Of Steel," "Fly By Night" and "2112." I feel the same as you about 80's Rush.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/07/07 at 11:48 pm

Personally, I don't really care where artists come from as long as their music is good. There's some Bay Area bands I like (lots of '80s pop/rock acts, like Huey Lewis, Starship, Night Ranger, and Smashmouth, who are from San Jose and came out in 1997), but it's not because of personal geography that I listen to them, lol.

On the subject of British bands, there've been four times they've influenced US music, I think:

1. The original British Invasion (1964-1971)
2. Punk and Disco - although not that much mainstreamization for the former, but both became extremely influential (1976-1980)
3. Early MTV era pop like Duran Duran and new wave, which really ties into #2 (1981-1986)
4. Late '90s dance-pop like Aqua, some stuff like Coldplay (1997-2003)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/08/07 at 6:24 pm

I like music from all over the world.

Some people think American musicians are lazy; some know of the more hard-working examples.

Personally, I think one thing- music is the true universal language, as it conveys any emotion or idea.

My own personal list includes:

U.K.:
-Peter Gabriel
-Robert Palmer
-Asia
-Madness
-Bad Manners
-Marillion
-Elton John
-Def Leppard
-Ozzy Osbourne
-Genesis
-The Who
-Yaz
-Yes
-The Police
-Billy Idol
-UFO

U.S.
-The Tubes
-The Cars
-Sammy Hagar
-Styx
-Journey
-Meat Loaf
-Devo
-Huey Lewis & the News

Australia
-Mondo Rock
-Mental As Anything
-Eurogliders
-Men At Work
-Split Enz
-Midnight Oil
-Cold Chisel

Switzerland
-Krokus

Cameroon
-Les Tetes Brulees

Senegal
-Youssou n'Dour

Scandinavia
-Stakka Bo
-Ace Of Base

France
-Magma

Mexico
-Mana
-Malo

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/07 at 11:54 pm

Scandinavia
-Ace Of Base

They are from Sweden :P

;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/09/07 at 12:12 am

Australia

-Split Enz

>:(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/09/07 at 11:12 am

They are from Sweden :P

;)

Duh- that's how they qualify as Scandinavian.

>:(

..........What?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/10/07 at 3:41 am

Duh- that's how they qualify as Scandinavian.

..........What?
Heh! Just messing with ya.  ;D You see, a lot of people outside Australia & New Zealand think that Split Enz are an Australian band when in actual fact they are from New Zealand.  ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/10/07 at 5:17 am

Not all members of the Enz are Kiwis.

Nigel Griggs and Noel Crombie are reported as being Australian.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/07 at 11:30 pm

Not all members of the Enz are Kiwis.

The Finn Brothers are, who are the core and founding members of the group which they formed in Auckland, NZ :)

Check for new replies or respond here...