» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Who do you think are the best "video artists" and why?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/08/07 at 7:05 am

Whenever it comes up in casual conversations, on any of those documentary specials VH1 does, or the various countdown lists over the years, invariably people will talk about Michael Jackson and Madonna. I can understand this, especially with how much impact they had on them as an artform in general (especially MJ), but I think alot of the others tend to get underappreciated as a result. Especially during the 1983-1992 heyday of creative videos in general.

My top ten are probably...Huey Lewis, Paula Abdul, The Police, Duran Duran, Lionel Richie, Tom Petty, David Lee Roth/Van Halen, The Cars, Phil Collins/Genesis, and especially Weird Al. They were all big on "concept/storyline" videos, as well as generally seeming like they were having fun in them.

Who do you like and why?

Subject: Re: Who do you think are the best "video artists" and why?

Written By: woops on 10/08/07 at 1:51 pm

A few years ago, I made my own list based on a MTV special

Hard to pick one, but...
Deborah Gibson would be on my list...

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/15/07 at 3:50 am

*BUMP*

C'mon, anybody? ;)

I guess I just can remember this stuff in such detail. Especially with as much as I watched MTV and especially VH1 in the early-mid '90s...and even up to the early 2000s (when they occasionally still showed videos and kinda seemed to care about music and their past).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/07 at 7:45 am

To be honest, I never really got into watching videos. For the main reason, my parents were strict and we were not allowed to watch MTV. I used to sneak every once in awhile...and I did watch VH1 sometimes...but I don't really have a favorite, per se.

Written By: woops on 10/15/07 at 3:11 pm

I like Deb's videos because they're fun to watch and are like a time capsule of fashion of a certain era.

Many of my favorite videos are from artists I don't care for (ie a few Bjork videos like "Human Behavior")/like a few songs or only had a few hits like Twisted Sister "Were Not Gonna Take It".

Most I've seen are in the mid 1990's from MTV & VH1 and recently on DVD/video compilations.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/16/07 at 7:09 am

Obvious ones, like Madonna's and Janet Jackson's. I also like the Eurythmics, Kate Bush's and Siouxsie & The Banshees videos.

This is kind of random, but speaking of Paula Abdul, I just found the 'Under My Spell Tour' tape at a thrift store. I was very excited....

Written By: holicman on 10/18/07 at 2:14 am

Some videos from the Cure are pretty cool and The APhex Twin Videos I have seen also are really good too.

Chilli Peppers and Metallica too.

Check for new replies or respond here...