» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What villain did you feel some sympathy for?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/07 at 8:23 am

Is there a certain villain in a movie/TV show/etc. that your heart kind of went out for? That...even though they were perhaps killers or crazy people...you still felt a certain sympathy for?

I would have to say that I felt sad for Jason Voorhees, from Friday the 13th movies. I always felt bad for how he died, and what he had to go through.

Subject: Re: What villain did you feel some sympathy for?

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/07 at 3:13 pm

Is there a certain villain in a movie/TV show/etc. that your heart kind of went out for? That...even though they were perhaps killers or crazy people...you still felt a certain sympathy for?

I would have to say that I felt sad for Jason Voorhees, from Friday the 13th movies. I always felt bad for how he died, and what he had to go through.

Its interesting because I was thinking about this a couple of years ago watching the first season of Prison Break. I mean the stars of the series are the prisoners and the law enforcement are the bad guys. 

Granted Linc was setup and Michael faked his crime to get incarcerated so he could mastermind the escape. 

Eight Ball was kind of set up too but I think his commitment to family and his daughter made him likable.
However, Sucre was guilty of armed robbery- even if he was 'tricked' into it and I like him a lot. 
Haywire was nuts but I was sad when he was killed off. 
T-bag is the biggest dirtbag of them all but he has a fan following. I am not a fan but some people are. He had the best reception when I went to Prison Break seminar at the Directors Guild this past March.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/07 at 10:23 pm

FARGO:

Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy)
Carl Showalter (Steve Buscemi)

One of my all-time favorite movies, I was discussing it with a friend.

Played by lesser actors it wouldn't have worked.  There's nothing to love about these two characters.

Lundegaard is a sleazy, lying, cowering, embezzling, scheming chickensh*t. 
Showalter is a sleazy, sociopathic, raging, murdering f*ck-up.

It was the acting abilities of Macy and Buscemi to give them both the air of human souls gone awry. 

Written By: holicman on 10/14/07 at 11:00 pm

The Coyote in the Roadrunner show.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/07 at 11:33 pm

The Coyote in the Roadrunner show.

Agreed!  He worked so hard just to get something to eat.  Although I still don't know why he didn't just order out to eat instead of Acme products...

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/15/07 at 5:15 am

Good question. :)

I've thought about this before, that sometimes I do vaguely cheer on the bad guys. Not because of what got them there or what they did, but from sympathizing with them as people.

The only one that stands out at the moment is What About Bob. I think his psychatrist Leo Marvin was technically supposed to be the bad guy. Although I halfway agreed with both him and Bob...as well as got annoyed by both of them too, lol. Even though Dr. Marvin could be a bit of a jerk and seemed a little smug and full of himself, I can also understand that he just wants some time away from work where he can relax on his vacation. Even though Bob couldn't take the hint about this, he seemed much more understanding, fun and personable (like, Leo's family gravitated towards him more).

P.S. Even though Dr. Marvin's outbursts were somewhat understandable, I thought it was equally funny when he got annoyed, lol.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/15/07 at 7:26 am

Angela Baker from "Sleepaway Camp".

Written By: Satish on 10/15/07 at 7:52 pm

I kind of felt bad for Mr. Freeze from Batman, cause of how he lost his wife and how he became traumatised because of it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/07 at 9:58 pm

Was a tossup between The Brain and Wile E. Coyote, but I had to go for the Brain, just on account of my personal sympathy for megalomaniacs throughout history.

Much like my giddy joy at a miniaturized Wile E. holding up a sign saying "I caught him, now what do I do?", my favorite moment of the series was realizing that Brain really had taken over the world in It's Only a Paper World.  Not really his fault that we all moved to Chia Earth.  I mean, free T-shirts.  Not like we could resist.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/07 at 10:09 pm

The Devil

(Whooo-Whooo)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/15/07 at 10:16 pm

Sandman in the recent 'Spiderman 3' movie. He was basically a good guy caught up in crime just trying to feed the family/ get medical help for his sick daughter.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/07 at 10:24 pm

Sandman in the recent 'Spiderman 3' movie. He was basically a good guy caught up in crime just trying to feed the family/ get medical help for his sick daughter.

Me too.  That's a good one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/07 at 8:06 am

that is a good example, for sure! I had forgotten about him. Poor lad.

Written By: Marian on 10/17/07 at 12:38 pm

Agreed!  He worked so hard just to get something to eat.  Although I still don't know why he didn't just order out to eat instead of Acme products...

LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/07 at 8:00 pm

Maybe he's just one of those guys who thinks it tastes better when you work for it.  Personally I think it tastes better when someone else does all the work that's why I eat out so much!  ;D

Written By: Marian on 10/18/07 at 4:30 pm

Maybe he's just one of those guys who thinks it tastes better when you work for it.  Personally I think it tastes better when someone else does all the work that's why I eat out so much!  ;D
LOL ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...