» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The WORST book you've ever read?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/12/07 at 8:16 pm

http://madteaparty.dreamhosters.com/vca/dl/dl1/dl1-us-2-a.jpg

This is the worst book I've ever read. And I'm NOT calling it such because of the incest and child abuse. The charecters are extremely annoying, one dimensional, and just way too overly "perfect". And the two older siblings, Chris and Cathy, act and speak nothing like any teenagers i've ever known. Plus the author takes the silly plot WAY too seriously.

Subject: Re: The WORST book you've ever read?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/07 at 5:45 am

Anything by John Irving.  I've tried a few, he tries too hard to be controversial and the calculation shows.

Written By: anthead on 10/13/07 at 8:17 am

naked lunch

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/07 at 8:20 am

http://madteaparty.dreamhosters.com/vca/dl/dl1/dl1-us-2-a.jpg

This is the worst book I've ever read. And I'm NOT calling it such because of the incest and child abuse. The charecters are extremely annoying, one dimensional, and just way too overly "perfect". And the two older siblings, Chris and Cathy, act and speak nothing like any teenagers i've ever known. Plus the author takes the silly plot WAY too seriously.
The movie made from this book was dire too.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/13/07 at 8:45 am

i thought the movie was funny because it was so bad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/07 at 9:03 am

i thought the movie was funny because it was so bad.
My sister saw the film, and described as bad, and I would probably think to bring out the DVD would be embarassing

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/13/07 at 9:29 am

I totally forgot about another "flower" book that is absolutely terrible  8-P:

http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/67/102/734/0671027344.jpg

This girl at Borders who worked at the cafe that I was friendly with reccomended it to me. I think she thought I would like it because it's about a loner. I couldn't relate one bit to the potragonist. And I AM a loner! Have been a complete one for about the last 6 years of my life.

It's just horribly trite. And it sadly name checks The Smiths, along with Blondie and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/13/07 at 11:01 am

Worst book I ever read, well, haven't finished reading yet because it is so incredibly boring. Mein Kampf.
I wanted to read it for historical reasons but it is just the boring rantings of a madman.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/07 at 11:40 am

If we are talking fiction I would say The Warren Report

Written By: anthead on 10/13/07 at 5:03 pm

hahahaha AWESOME!!!!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/13/07 at 5:09 pm

The Great Gatsby, maybe I should have watched the movie first. :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/13/07 at 6:31 pm

I totally forgot about another "flower" book that is absolutely terrible  8-P:

http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/67/102/734/0671027344.jpg

This girl at Borders who worked at the cafe that I was friendly with reccomended it to me. I think she thought I would like it because it's about a loner. I couldn't relate one bit to the potragonist. And I AM a loner! Have been a complete one for about the last 6 years of my life.

It's just horribly trite. And it sadly name checks The Smiths, along with Blondie and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

ooohh...don't let my sister hear you say that...this is one of her favorite books!! ;) :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/07 at 11:55 pm

You read that thing?  You have more patience than I!
8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/07 at 12:09 am

Excluding pulp trash, the worst book considered "literature" I've read is:

Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land

I thought it was hokey and hippie-dippy, and boring to boot.

When I read it in that course in high school, the teacher assigned it right after Brave New World.

Following Huxley with Heinlein is like chasing Don Perignon with some screwtop wine!
:P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/40/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land_Cover.jpg/200px-

I didn't find out 'till years later that Heinlein was a fascist, just another reason to hate his book!

That was another lame book my sister liked. 
I'm pretty sure that's where Amanda Palmer got the name for her goth band, "The Dresden Dolls."

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/07 at 3:46 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/Desperationbook.jpg/200px-Desperationbook.jpg

This is most probably the worse book I have and haven't read, for I found it hard to follow and gave up halfway through. A trus case of desperation.

After this book of Stephen King I have vowed not to read any more of his novels.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/07 at 7:07 am

Tried again to read The Sun Also Rises and though I can see where his style was new at the time it still, to me, is a tiring, self-indulgent, wishy washy theme. 

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/14/07 at 9:43 am

I'm pretty sure that's where Amanda Palmer got the name for her goth band, "The Dresden Dolls."

Yea. They called them the Dresden Dolls because they were so beautiful  ::).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/07 at 12:31 am

Yea. They called them the Dresden Dolls because they were so beautiful  ::).

I used to see her at Legendary Pink Dots shows.  I watched her friends from Lexington High pantomime a play based on LPD's "Asylum" album.  I knew she would either become interesting or become famous.  But not both.  Amanda got famous!
::)

Written By: holicman on 10/18/07 at 2:22 am

The  Never ending story because it actually had an ending............I should have figured that out when I realized that I wasnt buying an open ended book.

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...