» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: British shows made for American TV

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/07 at 11:56 pm

It seems like past and present, alot of popular British shows are turned into successful (and some not so successful) American versions.

Question 1:  Is this vice versa?
Question 2:  What are some

Here's a few ...

♦ Popular British comedy 'Home to Roost' was made into a short-lived mid-80s US version called 'You Again?' starring Jack Klugman and John Stamos

♦ Popular British sitcom 'Man About the House' and it's popular spin-off's 'George and Mildred' and 'Robin's Nest' were made for US TV all in the same spin-offs as well:  The legendary 'Three's Company', it's short-lived spin-off 'The Ropers' and the unsuccessful 'Three's-A-Crowd'

♦ The British sitcom 'Keep it in the Family' was remade for the US as 'Too Close For Comfort'.  The latter ran more seasons than the former

♦ Legendary British music show 'Top of the Pops' attempted a US version in the 80s as hosted by Nia Peeples (from the TV series Fame).  It was not a success

♦ The big one in the 2000s is the British 'Pop Idol', which spawned versions all over the world like American Idol, Australian Idol and Canadian Idol

♦ British game shows 'Deal or No Deal' and 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' both gained major fame with American versions.  Both shows also attempted Canadian versions: 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire: Canadian Edition' got cancelled, and 'Deal or No Deal: Canada' aired only 5 episodes in a test market.  No word yet if it will be picked up for a full series

Subject: Re: British shows made for American TV

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/07 at 12:03 am

To answer my own question, it is as I have just thought of a few ...

Popular US game show 'Family Feud' was remade in the UK as 'Family Fortunes'.  Watching clips on game show blooper shows, that Les Dennis guy is quite funny!

Another US game show 'Match Game 7X' was remade in the UK as 'Blankety Blanks'

Written By: woops on 10/20/07 at 12:17 am

"The Office" and also "All In The Family" (though a different title)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/20/07 at 12:30 am

A lot of game shows are remade in various markets: It's In The Bag, Deal or No Deal, The Price Is Right, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Family Feud and others all have had different versions playing in different countries.

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/21/07 at 12:16 am

YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK.  GOODBYE.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/07 at 6:09 am

Steptoe and Son became Sanford and Son

They are planning a USA version of The Vicar of Dibley

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/26/07 at 3:00 pm

I used to watch both versions of "Cracker".

The British version starred Robbie Coltrane, and ran many seasons.
The American version w/the late Robert Pastorelli ran maybe 1 season.

I was sold on both.

Written By: Paul on 10/26/07 at 3:10 pm

It seems like past and present, alot of popular British shows are turned into successful (and some not so successful) American versions.

One off the top of my head...

Some years ago, 'The Golden Girls' was so popular that some bright spark in British TV thought it'd be a great wheeze to concoct a British copy...

This became 'Brighton Belles' which died a death almost as soon as it hit the screens...

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/26/07 at 3:13 pm

Trading Spaces and What Not To Wear are both programs on TLC.  They started out in England, Trading Spaces was know as Changing Rooms in England.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/26/07 at 3:24 pm

British auction show 'Cash In The Attic' has an American counterpart (which, to me, is not nearly as good!)...

Written By: Paul on 10/26/07 at 3:33 pm

Heh!

And not forgetting our 80s attempt at 'Soul Train'...which was swiftly 'derailed'!  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/07 at 11:12 pm

One off the top of my head...

Some years ago, 'The Golden Girls' was so popular that some bright spark in British TV thought it'd be a great wheeze to concoct a British copy...

This became 'Brighton Belles' which died a death almost as soon as it hit the screens...

a UK Golden Girls?  I never would have thought.  A show like that I can see not translating well in other versions.  They always called each other slut and bitch, and I don't see that translating well in British slang lol

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 1:09 am

Fox poached Kitchen Nightmares from the UK
Lifetime poached How Clean is Your House

both shows kept their original hosts

what about Amedican Idol (or did someone mention it already? I've already forgotten...)

Um BBC also has a show about two guys who try to out gross each other. I have seen it but my friend talks about it alot. It sounds like a version of Jack Ass but I hear now that some one wants to bring that show to the US too... help me with the title I think its named after the two guys.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/27/07 at 4:29 am

Don't forget "Whose Line Is It Anyway"!

Written By: Henk on 10/27/07 at 6:15 am

Steptoe and Son became Sanford and Son

Steptoe and Son became "Stiefbeen en Zoon" in The Netherlands. It aired in the late 1960s.

A BBC show that I enjoyed watching (but was cancelled after several successful seasons, totally to my surprise): Robot Wars.
I know it had an American counterpart, called BattleBots.

Another series that I enjoyed watching: Scrapheap Challenge (aired on the Discovery Channel over here) and its US counterpart Junkyard (Mega) Wars. I seem  to remember they did some UK vs US junkyard challenges too.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/27/07 at 9:49 am

Don't forget "Whose Line Is It Anyway"!

I love that show!!

Written By: Gis on 10/27/07 at 10:49 am

There was a fantastic comedy series Coupling in the U.K which they tried to do an American version of which died a death. I did watch the first episode of the American version and didn't think it was that bad.

My favourite U.K to U.S bears no resemblance translation would be Gimme,Gimme,Gimme with Kathy Burke became Will and Grace in the U.S !!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/27/07 at 10:53 am

I think British Television should not be copied by American TV.  You cannot Americanize "As Time Goes By" without ruining it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 12:32 am

Now Litlle Britain can be added to the list with Little Britain USA

Written By: karen on 10/05/08 at 6:35 pm

The American version of Life on Mars starts next Thursday.  I think it's set in New York

Written By: robby76 on 10/11/08 at 12:23 am

I remember Brighton Belles - it was truly awful!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/08 at 12:28 am

I remember Brighton Belles - it was truly awful!  ;D
Is that The Golden Girls in the USA?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/08 at 6:14 am

There was a fantastic comedy series Coupling in the U.K which they tried to do an American version of which died a death. I did watch the first episode of the American version and didn't think it was that bad.

Actually Coupling(2000-2004) was a take on the U.S FriendsFriends(1994-2004) was sometimes called a derivative of Seinfeld.  Seinfeld is the only one that got it right.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/08 at 11:46 am

The American version of Life on Mars starts next Thursday.  I think it's set in New York

it is set in New York.... of course they had the obligatory tribute to the Twin Towers which were still standing when the lead character awoke in 1973. 

Written By: karen on 10/11/08 at 6:52 pm

it is set in New York.... of course they had the obligatory tribute to the Twin Towers which were still standing when the lead character awoke in 1973. 

Yep I watched the first episode on Thursday

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/08 at 7:06 pm

Yep I watched the first episode on Thursday

Did you like it?

I'm still on the fence but intrigued enough to give it another shot.

Written By: karen on 10/11/08 at 7:32 pm

Did you like it?

I'm still on the fence but intrigued enough to give it another shot.

Likewise. 

I don't think they've quite got the right actor for Gene Hunt which I thought was annoying.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/08 at 7:54 pm

Likewise. 

I don't think they've quite got the right actor for Gene Hunt which I thought was annoying.

yeah Harvey Kietel's a little over the top with his brash LT routine.

Written By: Gis on 10/13/08 at 3:20 pm

Actually Coupling(2000-2004) was a take on the U.S FriendsFriends(1994-2004) was sometimes called a derivative of Seinfeld.  Seinfeld is the only one that got it right.
No it wasn't, it was inspired by the relationship between writer Steven Moffat and his now wife producer Sue Vertue.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/08 at 3:52 pm

No it wasn't, it was inspired by the relationship between writer Steven Moffat and his now wife producer Sue Vertue.

Ohhh!  Didn't know that.  On face a lot of people over here thought it was a take off on Friends

Written By: Gis on 10/14/08 at 10:46 am

Ohhh!  Didn't know that.  On face a lot of people over here thought it was a take off on Friends
Yeah, I guess that is understandable, they even called the main characters Steve and Susan after themselves!  ;D

Jeff was my favourite character. I saw the actor who played him once at Oxford train station and I wanted to run up and say 'Gusset'  ;D ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/08 at 11:09 am

Yeah, I guess that is understandable, they even called the main characters Steve and Susan after themselves!  ;D

Jeff was my favourite character. I saw the actor who played him once at Oxford train station and I wanted to run up and say 'Gusset'  ;D ;D

I am a Jeff fan myself  ;D

Written By: karen on 10/16/08 at 7:40 am

I liked watching the original BBC version. But as typical with these "unfolding mystery" shows, they get cancelled before revealing the secret.

Errm, how many episodes did you watch?  It was only ever written for two series and I think the ending made a lot of people go "huh?"

Written By: karen on 10/16/08 at 1:18 pm

Really? Are we talking about BBC America or regular BBC? From what I remember seeing like 5 episodes (plus repeats) before it seemed to have vanished from the line up. I'll have to Google it now to see if I can find the end. Isn't ironic that this thread isn't in the "Life on Mars" category?  :P :)

I was talking regular BBC.  I watched Life On Mars in the UK before we moved out here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/08 at 1:38 pm

'Til Death Due Us Part=All In The Family.  I can't comment because I had never seen the British one.
Mind Your Language=What a Country. I loved Mind Your Language but the American one  8-P .
Prefer the British Cash in the Attic to the American one.

Those are the ones I can think of.

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/16/08 at 6:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Here's a Wikipedia about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_mars_bbc

The article says the last episode was broadcast in April 2007 in the UK but BBC America finish broadcasting the first series until August 2007.

I watched the show in the UK and then moved to the US in August 2007.  When talking to people here who had just watched the first series it was difficult not to mention things from the second series!

If you get the chance to watch the whole thing you should.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/08 at 8:09 pm

I just said this in the last thing you watched on TV thread but....

The ABC show American Inventor (about the search for the next great invention) is based on the British Series Dragon's Den. 

I knew it was a British concept because it was produced by Simon Cowell and Peter (Jones?) one of the judges for the American series was a regular on the Britsh version.

I like Dragon's Den a lot better. sure they have some pointless inventions but none as over the top and insane as the American "inventors"

Plus the way they dole out the money is far more intriguing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/08 at 6:34 am

The latest series of Little Britain was a complete disaster.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/08 at 6:39 am

I watched a couple of episodes on Netflix and really like it.

Written By: robby76 on 12/19/08 at 7:27 am

The latest series of Little Britain was a complete disaster.

You mean Little Britain USA? If so I have to agree. The regular characters seemed to have been pushed to their limits. I did like this new couple though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXimBJaoyyE

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/08 at 7:30 am

You mean Little Britain USA? If so I have to agree. The regular characters seemed to have been pushed to their limits. I did like this new couple though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXimBJaoyyE
Yes the new characters did make a change, but when set in in the final episodes, it all became tiresome.

Check for new replies or respond here...