» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cheesiet sets from tv shows (setting/background)

Written By: woops on 10/25/07 at 5:50 pm

'70's "Soul Train" had one of the cheesiest sets since it literally had a tunnel, signs, and a painted track.
It looked more like something from a kiddie show.

Mid 80's "SNL" looked cheesy, though probably fits the atmosphere of 1985.

Subject: Re: Cheesiet sets from tv shows (setting/background)

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/07 at 6:46 pm

as much as I love Facts of Life I hated it when Edna's Edibles became a novelty shop. See I can't even remember the cheesy name it had ...and I remember EVERYTHING!  8-P

Written By: Lindee on 10/26/07 at 9:50 am

as much as I love Facts of Life I hated it when Edna's Edibles became a novelty shop. See I can't even remember the cheesy name it had ...and I remember EVERYTHING!  8-P

I think it was called Over Our Heads.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/07 at 3:48 pm

I think it was called Over Our Heads.

Yeah it was... I just remembered as I clicked to read your reply  ;D Getting old SUCKS! 

Thanks

Written By: tv on 10/26/07 at 5:44 pm

What when Edna Edibles burned down and rebuilt you hated it became a novelty shop?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/26/07 at 6:59 pm

The whole "Different World" set.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/07 at 8:21 pm

What when Edna Edibles burned down and rebuilt you hated it became a novelty shop?

The neon lights, the novelty products it was all very 80s but also very cheesy. Hey I was fan I continured to watch the show but to this day I prefer the episodes at Eastland.

Given the choice I would watch the Eastland eps after Jo came on first
The Edna Edibles eps second
The Over Our Heads eps third
and Season one (w/o Jo) fourth  heck I might even watch these eps before the Choloris Leachman episodes.  Bev kinda annoyed me.

Written By: woops on 10/26/07 at 9:08 pm

Neon lights looked good in the "Soul Train" set in the mid '80's  8)

Also women in '80's fashion...though Rose Perez still looked ugly  ::) :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 9:57 pm

The whole "Different World" set.

That show made me feel like going out and killing people.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Well, for cheesy TV show sets I'd have to go with soap operas, game shows, and the local newscast.
Especially the local news shows with the anchors.

"...and then on Tuesday we're gonna get sopped! Rain, rain, rain all week long, weeer in for it!"
"Thanks a lot, Bob!"
Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk!
"That's right, Tom, and speaking of rain...now a puppy stuck in a tree!"
"Golly-gee, Liz, I've seen a cat stuck in a tree, but sure never though I'd see that!  Say, Lou, there aren't any puppies pitching in the world series tonight are there?"
"No sirreee, but watch this play, it's a  doozie....Whoaho! Right on the noggin!  Hope that helmet's as sturdy as it looks...."

Feh, why don't the four of you got take a flying f*ck at the moon!
:D

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 10/26/07 at 10:33 pm

:-X

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/07 at 11:04 pm

The set for 'The New Chain Reaction'.  Always thought it was kind of bland.  For some reason, Canadian Game Shows never really go all out to to make big expensive looking sets like you see on American Game Shows.

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 12:08 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Well, for cheesy TV show sets I'd have to go with soap operas, game shows, and the local newscast.
Especially the local news shows with the anchors.

"...and then on Tuesday we're gonna get sopped! Rain, rain, rain all week long, weeer in for it!"
"Thanks a lot, Bob!"
Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk!
"That's right, Tom, and speaking of rain...now a puppy stuck in a tree!"
"Golly-gee, Liz, I've seen a cat stuck in a tree, but sure never though I'd see that!  Say, Lou, there aren't any puppies pitching in the world series tonight are there?"
"No sirreee, but watch this play, it's a  doozie....Whoaho! Right on the noggin!  Hope that helmet's as sturdy as it looks...."

Feh, why don't the four of you got take a flying f*ck at the moon!

I saw a broadcast once. The anchor had an orange&white(?) ball to announce the start of the WNBA season. 
Female anchor: What do you have there?
Male anchor: It's a basletball  (It was pretty funny but I don't think he was being sarcastic. He sounded annoyed with her  ;D

Some game show sets are kinda cheesy too... How about that mall from Supermarket Sweeps?

Written By: woops on 10/27/07 at 3:49 pm

Some of the planets on "Star Trek" look too dated with the fake looking buildings and boulders

Written By: tv on 10/27/07 at 7:00 pm

Hey that was one my favorite shows.

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/07 at 2:19 am

Some of the planets on "Star Trek" look too dated with the fake looking buildings and boulders

I especially loved the way everyone charged left to demonstrate a meteor hit or crash  ;D  Did anyone see the SNL skit making fun of this?

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/28/07 at 8:32 pm

Any 70's Game Show. I had a dream where I went into a college with that type of setting. Gold walls and orange floors. It was a trip! 8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/07 at 10:06 pm

Any 70's Game Show. I had a dream where I went into a college with that type of setting. Gold walls and orange floors. It was a trip! 8)

70s Game Show sets indeed.  I hated the $20,000 Pyramid set.  The gold and orange was super tacky, and that rug was quite ugly ;D

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/472/20kp20kwintp2.jpg

The blue and orange set they used in the 80s was also tacky, but a big improvement

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4061/mystery7ey2.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/07 at 8:19 pm

I saw a broadcast once. The anchor had an orange&white(?) ball to announce the start of the WNBA season. 
Female anchor: What do you have there?
Male anchor: It's a basletball  (It was pretty funny but I don't think he was being sarcastic. He sounded annoyed with her  ;D

I forgot which stand-up comic used it in his routine, but it's something that's always bugged me too, that's why I used the "Thanks a lot, Bob!" line.  You know, as if the weather forecaster decides what weather we're going to have!  Why don't they apply that to the news anchor:

"A car bomb killed at least 30 people and wounded hundreds of others at a checkpoint outside of Baghdad today..."
"Thanks a lot, Tom.  Nice goin'!  Why do ya keep doing this to us?"

Check for new replies or respond here...