» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: GW

Written By: Echo Nomad on 10/30/07 at 7:52 pm

GW

Subject: Re: Great Words

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/07 at 8:44 pm

also

Dude!
Bro!
Da-ng!
and a personal favorite of mine from Nor Cal.  Hecka!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/07 at 2:58 am

Okey dokey

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/07 at 3:21 am

my mother has never seen a Jim Carey movie but somehow Alrighty Then has crept into her vocabulary... she uses it incessantly.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/07 at 7:51 am

totally tubular!!!! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/07 at 8:03 am

Great!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/07 at 8:12 am

bodacious!!

Written By: Davester on 10/31/07 at 4:44 pm

my mother has never seen a Jim Carey movie but somehow Alrighty Then has crept into her vocabulary... she uses it incessantly.

I say alrighty sometimes...

But nobody says alrighty like McLean Stevenson say alrighty on MASH...

'Radical' and 'Rad' I used in high school alot.  My buddy used 'bitchin' alot.  Heard 'gnarly' alot, never heard anyone  say 'tubular'...

'Neat-o' and 'bad-o' were strictly grade school in the 70s...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/31/07 at 4:48 pm

fergalicious....definitious...

Written By: Brigitte on 10/31/07 at 8:39 pm

"Peace, Man"

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/31/07 at 10:55 pm

Whatever...

Written By: Brigitte on 11/03/07 at 12:10 pm

"Keen"
As in..... That is so keen!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 4:27 pm

and a personal favorite of mine from Nor Cal.  Hecka!  ;D

I use that quite a bit. ;D It's really just the milder version of "hella".

On the subject in general, doesn't it seem like most common modern slang originated from Valley Girls and surfers? Like alot of 1982+ words and phrases either attach themselves to a time period and become dated really fast, or remain a part of people's vocabulary. But either way everyone kinda knows about them forever. Like, nobody says stuff like "tubular" or things like that on a regular basis now, but it's still very recognized.

I didn't even realize it, but people say they've caught me saying "For sure" quite a bit (I use it in place of "yeah" or "certainly" I think).

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 7:00 pm

I said groovy on the phone to a collegue a while back and she called me back and said "did you just groovy me?" ! YEP!  ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 11/03/07 at 8:13 pm

You know what word  REALLY Bothers ME! "LIKE"
I hear young people say it all the time!
Maybe they are too stupid or have a very poor vocabulary but it makes me crazy!

example: I went to the mall on Saturday and "like" this guy was "like" staring at me when I bought my shoes and "like" I felt weird so "like" I went to the store clerk and said "like" what's up with that and she "like" said "like" Don't worry....etc...

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 8:27 pm

example: I went to the mall on Saturday and "like" this guy was "like" staring at me when I bought my shoes and "like" I felt weird so "like" I went to the store clerk and said "like" what's up with that and she "like" said "like" Don't worry....etc...

Nothing makes a person sound more unintelligent than littering there speech with that word.  I attended college later than most do so I had like (sic) 10 years on every one else. The minute one of my fellow collegeans asked a question I started squirming in my chair. 
              So like I was reading in the text last night and you know how like Marx was talking about communism versus capitalism?
              Well like did he mean that like its bad to like go out and like buy stuff -cuz like my friends we like always go to mall and like
              spend our parents money and stuff... and like I thought that was like a good thing.... Like am I wrong?  ???

Written By: Brigitte on 11/03/07 at 8:48 pm

I think you are absolutely right! They Litter the English language! It's disgraceful!

Another one is when people use the "F" word too much.
example: I went to the "F#$%@ mall and this "#$%@" was "#$%&@" staring at me and so I asked the "#$%@ clerk.....etc....

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 8:50 pm

That's Valley Girl talk. It's been around since the early '80s and is nothing brand new. I think I'm pretty intelligent, but I've used it quite a bit myself. I think it's a subconcious thing if you hear lots of other people talking a certain way to pick it up yourself.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/07 at 8:54 pm

I say "like" a lot..and I am rather smart. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 8:58 pm

^ I like "like" - I think it's cute. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/07 at 8:59 pm

well...thank you!! I think it just has to do with where you grew up/are used to hearing. Using certain words like that, IMO...does not make a person sound stupid (unless, however, it is used as every other word or something). ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 9:08 pm

well...thank you!! I think it just has to do with where you grew up/are used to hearing. Using certain words like that, IMO...does not make a person sound stupid (unless, however, it is used as every other word or something). ;)

Yeah, or even if you get used to it later. I actually use alot of loosely Valley-related slang. I say "Totally" and "for sure" alot, but in a more casual sense. Maybe it's just seeped into my subconciousness because quite a few celebrities along with people I've known personally talk like this to some extent.

I think that kind of slang could have a big influence on anyone who was still in high school for any time in the '80s. Paula Abdul was born in 1962 and she seems like one of the earliest Vals (which isn't a bad thing, lol).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/07 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, or even if you get used to it later. I actually use alot of loosely Valley-related slang. I say "Totally" and "for sure" alot, but in a more casual sense. Maybe it's just seeped into my subconciousness because quite a few celebrities along with people I've known personally talk like this to some extent.

I think that kind of slang could have a big influence on anyone who was still in high school for any time in the '80s. Paula Abdul was born in 1962 and she seems like one of the earliest Vals (which isn't a bad thing, lol).

No, I don't see anything wrong with it either. :)

Written By: karen on 11/03/07 at 9:50 pm

I say alrighty sometimes...

Hear that all the time here.

Something I hadn't heard for the longest time but heard again fairly recently was 'skill'  Totally a 70's word in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/07 at 6:55 am

Something I hadn't heard for the longest time but heard again fairly recently was 'skill'  Totally a 70's word in the UK

Right on!

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 11:10 am

Another one is when people use the "F" word too much.
example: I went to the "F#$%@ mall and this "#$%@" was "#$%&@" staring at me and so I asked the "#$%@ clerk.....etc....

I am very guilty of this. I use it as a noun, a verb, an adverb and a an adjective.  Its actually one of my favorites  ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 11/04/07 at 11:57 am

Yea, real cute!
Thank God this clip is only 45 seconds long! I know it's a parody of a valley girl but I hear girls talking like this all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGZtrBeDcQ

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 12:15 pm

That's Valley Girl talk. It's been around since the early '80s and is nothing brand new. I think I'm pretty intelligent, but I've used it quite a bit myself. I think it's a subconcious thing if you hear lots of other people talking a certain way to pick it up yourself.

When Valley Girls were using it they said it once or twice in a sentence... "Like you know"  but the way it is now they're using it every couple of words... Its overkill.  I have also used like but really- its used like a verbal comma...

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 12:18 pm

Yea, real cute!
Thank God this clip is only 45 seconds long! I know it's a parody of a valley girl but I hear girls talking like this all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGZtrBeDcQ

Okay maybe Valley Girls used like more than I thought seriously its annoying. You ever just count the likes in a sentence? I have  ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 11/04/07 at 4:31 pm

How to Sound Intelligent 101

Avoid using blank words; over-usage of the words 'like, umm, uh' etc. isn't a good idea when you're trying to make yourself sound intelligent. These are reminiscent of words used by people who do not have a clue what they're talking about or are unsure of what to say next. They will not make you sound clever in the slightest.

Written By: Marian on 11/04/07 at 4:54 pm

niggardly(LOL)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/07 at 4:55 pm

basically...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 12:18 am

Max's $.50 word of the day:

Defenestrate:  To throw something out of a window.  So, like, next time you're in your car, you can yell, "Hey, don't defenstrate those fastfood residuals, wait until we find the proper receptacle!"  Your kids will look at you funny for the rest of the day!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...