» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Places you feel like a dork going to?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/02/07 at 11:07 pm

For me, Urban Outiftters. I always feel so uncool and suburbanite going in there. Plus I don't have the money to shop there, and my parents won't pay their prices. Not that they have my size any way. Hardly anyone carries an XS  >:(.

But at the same time, the place feels very pretentious, and all the ironic humor the company uses seems very forced to me.

Subject: Re: Places you feel like a dork going to?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/07 at 11:17 pm

The mall, in general. I never quite felt like I fit in there.

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 12:24 am

Oh man when I was a kid was Sooo embarrassed if my mom went to kmart... I wouldn't even wait in the car for fear someone would see me in the kmart parking lot...it never occurred to me that if they saw me then they were shopping there too  ;D

I guess I am karma's bitch tho because now I live in Santa Barbara and there are not a lot of shopping opportunities.  Oh if you are a tourist or you have money its great but for great deals there isn't a lot of choice.  No target, no walmart, no marshalls, no Tj Maxx no burlington Coat factory (all of these chains are at least 40 miles away.  We have Ross and... KMART....  ;D

Now I shop at Kmart like every week. Almost every article of clothing I own comes from there. I have 8 pairs of jeans I got for $2.50 (I bought them out of 3 sizes cuz I couldn't pass up the deal!)  in fact the most I spent on one shirt was $25 from the Jacklyn Smith collection and the only reason I paid full price was because I had an interview in about 20 minutes and spilled something on my shirt. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/03/07 at 12:25 am

I hate malls, but that could be due to the fact that I'm a male. Most males tend to hate malls. I also hate crowds, with a few exceptions.

Wait, this topic is "places you feel like a dork going to"? I dunno, maybe one of those weird sci-fi conventions where everyone dresses up.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/03/07 at 12:26 am

Add any female oriented clothing outlet or bra and lingerie store. I reckon I'd feel a bit out of place in any of those.  :D

Written By: Brigitte on 11/03/07 at 9:29 am

A gay bar.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 4:21 pm

I hate malls, but that could be due to the fact that I'm a male. Most males tend to hate malls. I also hate crowds, with a few exceptions.

Wait, this topic is "places you feel like a dork going to"? I dunno, maybe one of those weird sci-fi conventions where everyone dresses up.

Not necesarilly - I'm a guy and I always liked malls or most shopping in general (although maybe it's partially because lots of girls were there, lol).:D

I know what you mean about large crowds, though. I sometimes feel like a dork when I'm by myself among large cliques of people in any setting. There's just an awkward feeling of not quite knowing how to interact or blend in. Unless I'm going with people, I don't usually like parties for this reason.

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 7:03 pm

A gay bar.

Gay bars can be fun for straight people... no pressure if you're out for fun and don't want to get hit on all night.

I once went to a screening of Can't Stop the Music in San Francisco. The theater was full of gays and drag queens. They treated the film like it was The Rocky Horror Picture Show... it was one the all time greatest experiences of my life  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/03/07 at 7:41 pm

Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister. I usually don't go into these kind of stores but about a year ago I did some browsing at both of these stores and got weird looks from salespeople and other shoppers. Okay, so maybe I'm an entire generation older than these people, but the way they looked at me made ME feel weird AND stupid.  :-[

Written By: Brigitte on 11/03/07 at 7:59 pm

Gay bars can be fun for straight people... no pressure if you're out for fun and don't want to get hit on all night.

I once went to a screening of Can't Stop the Music in San Francisco. The theater was full of gays and drag queens. They treated the film like it was The Rocky Horror Picture Show... it was one the all time greatest experiences of my life  :)

I have gone to a gay bar to see the drag queen show a couple of times and it was fun but I also felt like I didn't belong.
When I was in L.A. (years ago) my Mother and I walked into a gay bar/restaurant and they all hissed at us when we walked in!

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 8:04 pm

I have gone to a gay bar to see the drag queen show a couple of times and it was fun but I also felt like I didn't belong.
When I was in L.A. (years ago) my Mother and I walked into a gay bar/restaurant and they all hissed at us when we walked in!

That's too bad usually they're cooler than that...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 8:19 pm

Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister. I usually don't go into these kind of stores but about a year ago I did some browsing at both of these stores and got weird looks from salespeople and other shoppers. Okay, so maybe I'm an entire generation older than these people, but the way they looked at me made ME feel weird AND stupid.  :-[

Yeah, I hate going into stores like that by myself. I think it makes you more "weirded out" by the possibility that people are giving you weird looks and all. I think it was probably just those particular people though, and nothing personal. You're only four years older than me, so you're still far too young to say that, lol.

I think a "generation" is biologically about a quarter century (probably more like up to 30-35 years on average), and pop culturally about 15 to 18 years difference.

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 8:33 pm

Ewww do I want to confess this?  :-NO ONE was more excited than me.  Fast forward a few years and there's a Degrassi Next Generation Mall tour. I thought. I want to go to that.  Don't forget I was in my mid 30s at the time and I have no kids. 

I drove, about 2.5 hours to the mall and thought - great no one's here!  There were maybe 20 people in line but then I get told that the line is actually outside the mall (opposite the entrance I used) there were over a thousand people all of them 9-14 years of age. I got in the back of the line anyway with my Degrassi photo album. The parents who didn't want to be there looked at me like I was crazy and the kids didn't know what to think! Especially when I started talking episodes with them. They couldn't believe I knew the show as well as they did... .it was rather embarrassing but I loved it!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/03/07 at 8:53 pm

I felt like a dork the one and only time I went to a strip club and also the one and only time I went to a male strip show too  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 11/03/07 at 9:02 pm

I always feel like a total mook whenever I get dragged to womens clothes stores.

Inevitably I'll stand there and look uncomfortable and somebody will ask if I need help finding something (like I would buy clothes for a woman! I'm not that retarded!), to which I'll either say "No, I'm waiting for somebody." or If I'm feeling like a butthead that day I'll say "Yeah, I love those pumps, but I need them in a 14."

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/07 at 7:24 am

Very true!  I had a couple of friends(female) and if we wanted a fun night we would go dancing at a gay dance club.  Best time ever with some of the best people ever.  That and going to an action movie with young African American boys.  They haven't any problem with with laughing at the funny parts or groaning and making fun of the stupid parts.  Makes it more fun.

Written By: Old Comedywriter on 11/04/07 at 6:26 pm

>>Places you feel like a dork going to?

Ummm....Amiright?

Written By: wildcard on 11/04/07 at 6:57 pm

>>Places you feel like a dork going to?

Ummm....Amiright?

;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/04/07 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, I hate going into stores like that by myself. I think it makes you more "weirded out" by the possibility that people are giving you weird looks and all. I think it was probably just those particular people though, and nothing personal. You're only four years older than me, so you're still far too young to say that, lol.

I think a "generation" is biologically about a quarter century (probably more like up to 30-35 years on average), and pop culturally about 15 to 18 years difference.

Awwww....thanks!  :) I like it when someone says I'm young, so that made me feel good!

I guess when I thought "generation" I must've thought more about the pop culture, although now I think about it the gap really isn't that big.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 11/04/07 at 10:02 pm

Ewww do I want to confess this?  :-NO ONE was more excited than me.  Fast forward a few years and there's a Degrassi Next Generation Mall tour. I thought. I want to go to that.  Don't forget I was in my mid 30s at the time and I have no kids. 

I drove, about 2.5 hours to the mall and thought - great no one's here!  There were maybe 20 people in line but then I get told that the line is actually outside the mall (opposite the entrance I used) there were over a thousand people all of them 9-14 years of age. I got in the back of the line anyway with my Degrassi photo album. The parents who didn't want to be there looked at me like I was crazy and the kids didn't know what to think! Especially when I started talking episodes with them. They couldn't believe I knew the show as well as they did... .it was rather embarrassing but I loved it!

Yay! Another Degrassi fan! I started watching the reruns of the new Degrassi on Sunday mornings and I am ADDICTED! I still want to get all the episodes of the old and new Degrassi on DVD, but that's going to take awhile. :D

As for me, I feel really out of place when I go shopping in at the Mayflower market in Chinatown. I'm usually the only gweipor in the store, so it's kinda weird having people stare at me while I'm buying stuff.

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/07 at 11:55 pm

The only places I feel like a dork going into are places where the prices are out of this world.  I stop and think to myself "Why am I even in this store?  If I was a rich man, I still wouldn't pay these prices"

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/07 at 7:31 pm

Yay! Another Degrassi fan! I started watching the reruns of the new Degrassi on Sunday mornings and I am ADDICTED! I still want to get all the episodes of the old and new Degrassi on DVD, but that's going to take awhile. :D

As for me, I feel really out of place when I go shopping in at the Mayflower market in Chinatown. I'm usually the only gweipor in the store, so it's kinda weird having people stare at me while I'm buying stuff.

I spent a small fortune getting them all on VHS. Kids of Degrassi all the way up to Schools Out! It took me a few years and now they're all on DVD... lesson learned be patient. Can I intrest you in some vhs tapes cheap  ;). 

I'm still working on completeing the Degrassi NG dvd seasons but all my old school dvds sit proudly on my shelf... the vhs' took about 3 shelves the DVD sets barely cover one... even after getting all of NG.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/05/07 at 8:15 pm

That depends on the gender....

Of course, you would have be the opposite gender of what the sexual preference is in those bars.

(All the emoticons look the same... I'm just playing around here and not being serious)

Edit: I misread what angle was meant by "dork".  Anyplace I go to that I like doesn't make me feel like a dork or anything... That's because of my video game and anime interests. In my case, sports stores I don't go.... Mainly because of my lack of interest in them.

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/07 at 9:05 pm

That depends on the gender....

Of course, you would have be the opposite gender of what the sexual preference is in those bars.

(All the emoticons look the same... I'm just playing around here and not being serious)

Edit: I misread what angle was meant by "dork".  Anyplace I go to that I like doesn't make me feel like a dork or anything... That's because of my video game and anime interests. In my case, sports stores I don't go.... Mainly because of my lack of interest in them.

Not necessarily if you go and are the same gender you simply decline the dance invitation.. or let loose and have some fun

Written By: Step-chan on 11/05/07 at 11:37 pm

Not necessarily if you go and are the same gender you simply decline the dance invitation.. or let loose and have some fun

I was joking around with the gender opposite part.....

Now the emoticons are back to normal... :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/07 at 11:39 pm

I was joking around with the gender opposite part.....

Now the emoticons are back to normal... :-\\

yeah that fawkes guy was cool and all but not very expressive  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 12:14 am

The Registry of Motor Vehicles
:(

Written By: Step-chan on 11/06/07 at 2:37 pm

yeah that fawkes guy was cool and all but not very expressive  ;D

I was wondering if soneone cracked the security code and changed them at first.... Until I found the thread that talked about them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/06/07 at 3:05 pm

I often feel like a dork going into Safeway and cashing out giftcards. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm annoying the cashier clerks by making them do it.

I often feel dorky standing in line at the Pharmacy. I often think what people are thinking why such a young person like myself is standing in line to get a prescription for.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/10/07 at 12:24 pm

At any restaurant.  I have a hard time ordering.  Sometimes I feel like I'm imposing. :-[

Written By: loki 13 on 11/10/07 at 12:27 pm

The only time I felt slightly out of place, or like a complete dork, was at a race track betting on horses.

It wasn't the track that made me feel out of place it was the fact that I was standing in line waiting for an
autographed picture of Joshua Morrow, the guy who plays Nicholas Newman on the Young And The Restless.
He was my wife's and daughter's favorite on the show. I was just being a nice guy and figured I'd surprise her
with the picture. I felt like a real dork, being the only guy amongst mothers and daughters getting the guys
autograph. The look he gave me when it was my turn was priceless, when I told him to make it out to my
wife and daughter he gave me the, "Yeah, right," look.....Classic.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...