» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Geographically-themed songs or artists?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/09/07 at 3:52 pm

Are there any songs or artists that evoke a certain place, whether or not they directly mention it in the lyrics? Like I'm listening to some songs off Bruce Hornsby's The Way it Is, and it seems like the perfect soundtrack to the Appalachain or Virginian countryside (I believe he's from there). There's also a line in "Every Little Kiss" that seems like it totally fits Middle America in general: "When the day goes down on the water town. When the sun sinks low all around, that's when I know when I, I need you now."

More often than not, it could be associated with where the artists are from, or what they actually sang about it. Like, I associate pop/metal hair bands with L.A. or Glenn Frey with Florida and Miami Vice. For me, I think Huey Lewis reminds me of the Bay Area.

Subject: Re: Geographically-themed songs or artists?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/09/07 at 4:21 pm

When I hear John Denver's music, I can't help but picture wide open spaces out in the country with nearby rivers or streams...just so serene!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/07 at 4:25 pm

When I hear John Denver's music, I can't help but picture wide open spaces out in the country with nearby rivers or streams...just so serene!  :)
The Rocky Mountains where JD lived.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/07 at 1:09 am

Every time I hear Baker's Street if automatically takes me back to living in Vegas and listening to *gasp* AM radio!

Written By: tv on 11/11/07 at 2:07 pm

Red Hot Chilli Peppers- Well "Califorinia"their 1999 album was titled "Californiacation" and that album did have the title track "Californiacation" too.

Rappers like Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube got me thinking West Coast because they are from California I think and their music video's do scream west coast. After all Ice Cube and Dr. Dre were members of the rap group NWA and NWA did have a album called "Straight Outta Compton".

Whenever I hear an early 90's rap song like "Hip Hop Hooray", "Tennesee", or "Nothin But A Thang" it takes me back to how carefree things were back then.

Certain 80's songs make me think of the lifestyle from then: like the scenery on the roads in the state where I live in or can I envision the 80's boxy cars from back then.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/07 at 2:13 pm

Rappers like Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube got me thinking West Coast because they are from California I think and their music video's do scream west coast. After all Ice Cube and Dr. Dre were members of the rap group NWA and NWA did have a album called "Straight Outta Compton".

California Love is a great song too... I live in Cali and couldn't love this state any more if I had been born here. Celebrates that! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...