» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What crowd were you in in high school?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 10:21 am

i'm a loner, and i don't mind at all.

the last time my old best friend and i spoke was the first day of 7th grade.

Subject: Re: What crowd were you in in high school?

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 1:32 pm

I definitely hung with the weirdos and the outcasts... it was weird because it was a small school 86 in my graduating class... so the group included the brainy ones, the weird ones and the loud ones... I was a loud one!  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/24/07 at 3:04 pm

I was in the weird crowd.  Too dumb to be a nerd, too quiet to be a head (banger).

Written By: ninny on 11/24/07 at 3:05 pm

Middle of the pack-some brainiacs-some loners-some athletic -some oddballs

Written By: La Roche on 11/24/07 at 4:00 pm

I doubt I turned up to school often enough to be considered a part of any crowd. Me and my friends would show up maybe a couple days a week, just enough so that the school didn't send the police guys round to our parents houses (see, we were responsible!) but for the most part we'd just go out and get stoned.

My final year of high school my attendance rate was almost exactly 50%.. and I turned out alright.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/24/07 at 5:14 pm

I hung out with everybody :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/24/07 at 8:50 pm

I was definitely part of the weirdo crowd....too clumsy to be a athlete or a cheerleader, never smart enough to be part of the smart crowd (I did date a guy from this crowd in the 11th grade), not pretty enough to be popular.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 8:59 pm

I was more or less cool with anyone although I never fit firmly into one group. But I was halfway between a geek/dork and everyone's friend, as polar opposite as that sounds, lol. I felt like I was always a few steps below other people though, in terms of being invited places or accepted into people's social circles, and that didn't feel good.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/24/07 at 10:21 pm

We never really had specific "cliques" like they do in American schools (or at least the ones portrayed on TV). I've had friends who you'd consider nerdy, ones who were into sports, music geeks, etc.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/24/07 at 10:32 pm

I just hung out with my group of friends, about 5 of us.  Not really part of any group.

Written By: Jessica on 11/24/07 at 10:46 pm

I usually hung out with my cousin and two other girls. We used to ditch school a lot. Not really part of any crowd, but I was cool with everyone, especially on those days when my water bottles and pop bottles weren't ful of water or pop. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/07 at 11:04 pm

i basically had my own small group of friends...but I tried to be friendly with everyone. I most likely hung out with the theater/choir geeks! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/07 at 3:53 pm

I was always the new kid in town.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/26/07 at 9:06 am

Goths

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/26/07 at 9:30 am

Goths

Visi or Ostro?

Or did you not discriminate?

:)

Written By: karen on 11/26/07 at 9:34 am

Visi or Ostro?

Or did you not discriminate?

:)

har de har har

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/26/07 at 12:51 pm

I was a geek, although I thought I was cool... I was in The Drama Club, Cheerleading (hey remember the SNL skits with the dorky cheerleaders..that was me..not to mention having way to much junk in the trunk for the itty bitty skirt).  I was way more confident, outgoing and outspoken than I am now.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 7:20 pm

Lone wolf.... The group I fit in the most with: Misfits, Geeks and Weirdos.

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 7:23 pm

you and Leonard Kosnowski.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 7:33 pm

you and Leonard Kosnowski.  ;D

Who's that?

Although I called myself a lone wolf... It's more on a technical level. I did talk to people in school, but I didn't really hang out with any... I was less of a lone wolf in grade school, became more of one when I moved to Beech Grove(in the same county as Indianapolis) and started at their Jr. high and high schools, at that point I was an outsider(and remained one).

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 8:48 pm

Who's that?

Although I called myself a lone wolf... It's more on a technical level. I did talk to people in school, but I didn't really hang out with any... I was less of a lone wolf in grade school, became more of one when I moved to Beech Grove(in the same county as Indianapolis) and started at their Jr. high and high schools, at that point I was an outsider(and remained one).

You ever see Laverene & Shirley??? Lenny aka Leonard Kosnowski of Lenny & Squiggy used to wear a jacket that said "Lone Wolf"

Actually, he made the jacket when he felt abandoned by Squiggy but the L fell off so it actually said "one Wolf"  Laverene gave Lenny one of her signature "L"s and the rest is history...

don't ask me why this crap is stuck in my head!

Written By: Step-chan on 11/28/07 at 11:42 pm

You ever see Laverene & Shirley??? Lenny aka Leonard Kosnowski of Lenny & Squiggy used to wear a jacket that said "Lone Wolf"

Actually, he made the jacket when he felt abandoned by Squiggy but the L fell off so it actually said "one Wolf"  Laverene gave Lenny one of her signature "L"s and the rest is history...

Thank you. :)

And...

Don't worry, I won't. ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/29/07 at 2:51 pm

I just hung out with my group of friends, about 5 of us.  Not really part of any group.

Same here...except most of my 'group' were a year or two ahead of me, so by the time I was a senior it was pretty much just me... :-\\

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/29/07 at 3:41 pm

I was a loner most of the time, but I have one or two friends that I can hang out with.   I didn't have a whole bunch of friends.  I was mostly a homebody.  I went to two house parties during my teenage year.  I was a weirdo, and I didn't fit in to any group.   I was seen as different. 

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/29/07 at 3:52 pm

Well Im still a weirdo and proud of it !!!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/29/07 at 7:00 pm

Well Im still a weirdo and proud of it !!!

I know that's right!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/30/07 at 11:50 pm

I stayed with the stoners.  I wasn't a stoner, but they were the kids that didn't care what you looked like, how rich you were, what religion you were, etc.  Yeah, I went to a very cliquey high school.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/07 at 4:38 pm

I remember that episode.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/02/07 at 7:53 pm

I was a loner most of the time, but I have one or two friends that I can hang out with.   I didn't have a whole bunch of friends.  I was mostly a homebody.  I went to two house parties during my teenage year.  I was a weirdo, and I didn't fit in to any group.   I was seen as different.  

Same here pretty much. I'm not sure why people who don't go to parties are typecasted as "losers", but I could've cared less about that most of the time. The irony is that I was cool with just about everyone, and lots of people liked me. Yet for some reason, I still didn't get invited to hang out with people (to events, or even on a "daily basis") as much as the next guy. I always felt like I was on the outer edges of every group too.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 7:50 pm

i'm a loner, and i don't mind at all.

the last time my old best friend and i spoke was the first day of 7th grade.

So, why were you such a loner?  We're you a shy kid, or you didn't care for high school, etc.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 7:53 pm

I can see that with your anime avator... anything anime to me is basically screaming "misfit" and "anti-conformists".  I don't see preps talk about Sailor Moon or J-Pop, unless they are Japanese or Chinese preps.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/08 at 10:49 pm

Geek pride represent.

If you'd told me in 1985 that within 15 years, most of us nerds would have decent jobs working with computers, I'd have believed you.  We nerds were gonna take over the world, after all.

If you'd told me in 1985 that within 15 years, headbanger gods that made up Motley Crue would be singing "my URL - has gone all to hell / HTTP!  I'm addicted to technology", I'd have laughed.  Not in our deepest moments of just-beaten-up-by-a-pack-of-headbangers revenge-fantasies, not even in our most pixelated visions of delusional grandeur, did we think it'd go that far. 

Our bad.  We're sorry for all those Pamela Anderson videos that got leaked out, and we're even more sorry for New Tattoo, the Crue's Y2K comeback album. 

Written By: Midas on 01/18/08 at 6:49 pm

My high school had their cliques and I didn't really belong to any of them, but was friendly with peeps in every one of them.  A social chameleon of sorts.

I had a small group of friends throughout high school.  I became more socially active once I obtained my driver's license.  Went to quite a few and actually threw a few parties senior year.  Good times...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/08 at 9:00 pm

I doubt I turned up to school often enough to be considered a part of any crowd. Me and my friends would show up maybe a couple days a week, just enough so that the school didn't send the police guys round to our parents houses (see, we were responsible!) but for the most part we'd just go out and get stoned.

My final year of high school my attendance rate was almost exactly 50%.. and I turned out alright.

There's something we have in common. Chronic truancy.  I was kind of a runty goth kid who didn't fit in anywhere.  Used to get picked on a lot, but after 9th grade I went from dork to freak.  I had the Robert Smith look.  Today it's cliche, but it sure as hell wasn't in '86.  You walked around wth spikey orange hair, a cross earring, and Clockwork Orange eye makeup, it tended to frighten the hayseeds.  Back then it wasn't even called "Goth" yet.  They had the word "punk," but I was never that.  "Punk" meant you listened to Black Flag, Gang Green, and the Misfits and acted like those dumb kids in Repo Man."  There was a small "punk" crowd but they were always on about who was "hardcore" and who was a "poseur."  I thought they were juvenile and oafish...and I told them so...more than once!  Thus, I was pretty much a loner.  Yeah, the jocks and the preps still made fun of me, but the roughing-up stopped 'coz they though I might carry a switchblade....or bear vampire fangs. 

The thing is I was never delinquent.  I never did drugs (except a little weed now and again).  I never wanted to hurt anybody.  I just saw no future, school was living hell, so I used to ditch all the time.  My main hangout was Harvard Square, which was still a cool place back then.  It's not anymore.  Why "no future"?  I was clinically depressed and nobody knew what to do about it. 
::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/08 at 1:56 am

I was really an odd ball. I didn't really belong to a clique because I was homeschooled - yeah, that's like THE dorkiest thing to be in H.S. is homeschooled. But, I didn't mind it one bit. I read my books, did my schoolwork, did what I wanted, and started working at 17. I had strange interests for someone my age and that's probably why I label myself a dork. But, I was pretty much that way by choice. I saw too many kids fall into the same trap of drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. and I didn't even want to tread those waters until I knew I was mature enough to handle them. By the way, I never have done drugs, although some people do ask me from time to time, "What have you been sniffin'?"  ;D

Written By: Davester on 01/23/08 at 4:50 pm

I was really an odd ball. I didn't really belong to a clique because I was homeschooled - yeah, that's like THE dorkiest thing to be in H.S. is homeschooled. But, I didn't mind it one bit. I read my books, did my schoolwork, did what I wanted, and started working at 17. I had strange interests for someone my age and that's probably why I label myself a dork. But, I was pretty much that way by choice. I saw too many kids fall into the same trap of drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. and I didn't even want to tread those waters until I knew I was mature enough to handle them. By the way, I never have done drugs, although some people do ask me from time to time, "What have you been sniffin'?"  ;D

You were homeschooled, cool.  You avoided a ton of BS that way...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/23/08 at 5:12 pm

You were homeschooled, cool.  You avoided a ton of BS that way...

Yeah, I didn't start until 8th grade, and I did at one point go back to H.S. for a short period of time. Yet, I was too used to my homeschooling ways and just decided to stick with it. It was fun - it wasn't like I was holed up in my room all day - I did have to be at the "school" to do activities and stuff, so that was fun  :)

Written By: Davester on 01/23/08 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, I didn't start until 8th grade, and I did at one point go back to H.S. for a short period of time. Yet, I was too used to my homeschooling ways and just decided to stick with it. It was fun - it wasn't like I was holed up in my room all day - I did have to be at the "school" to do activities and stuff, so that was fun  :)

Yeah, I was also going to say that alot of that high school BS is where fond memories are made.  You know, stuff to post about on messageboards... ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/24/08 at 12:26 am

I was a go-between. I didn't have any real "crowd" (though my friends and I were kinda known for liking MJ) but my friends were everyone from band and orchestra "geeks" to a "jock" who played 4 different sports.

I mean I spoke to anybody who wafted over.  ;D

And the question I got the most was, "Are you that girl that likes Michael Jackson?"

But it was pretty cool. High School was nice for me.

Written By: Davester on 01/24/08 at 3:59 am

Through most of high school I stuck with my best friend and homeskillet biskett, John, who I've known since the first grade.  We peretty much just did our own thing and avoided the hype...

Written By: KKay on 01/24/08 at 8:16 am

i havent' thought about this in a long time.
i belonged to a few groups.  i had like, one good frind in every group. .and it was sucha typical 1979 group of cliques.
i was in drama and humanities, but hung more with the punk/new wave crowd. some girls from my neighborhood were really into disco and i liked them and they liked me, and i knew some "critters", the post-smokers that listened to the doors and zeppelin (which I hated).
later i dated a football player.  finally moved on to someone else that liked The Clash.

Written By: La Roche on 01/24/08 at 8:31 am

There's something we have in common. Chronic truancy.

Yeah dude, I didn't mind high school all that much I suppose, when I went I'd just hang out with my friends and cause trouble in class, but none of us could really see the point in going, not to sound conceited, but I don't think there was anything they could teach me I didn't already have at least a decent knowledge of ('cept Math, I can't even do long division!).

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 8:46 am

There's something we have in common. Chronic truancy.  I was kind of a runty goth kid who didn't fit in anywhere.  Used to get picked on a lot, but after 9th grade I went from dork to freak.  I had the Robert Smith look.  Today it's cliche, but it sure as hell wasn't in '86.  You walked around wth spikey orange hair, a cross earring, and Clockwork Orange eye makeup, it tended to frighten the hayseeds.  Back then it wasn't even called "Goth" yet.  They had the word "punk," but I was never that.  "Punk" meant you listened to Black Flag, Gang Green, and the Misfits and acted like those dumb kids in Repo Man."  There was a small "punk" crowd but they were always on about who was "hardcore" and who was a "poseur."  I thought they were juvenile and oafish...and I told them so...more than once!  Thus, I was pretty much a loner.  Yeah, the jocks and the preps still made fun of me, but the roughing-up stopped 'coz they though I might carry a switchblade....or bear vampire fangs. 

The thing is I was never delinquent.  I never did drugs (except a little weed now and again).  I never wanted to hurt anybody.  I just saw no future, school was living hell, so I used to ditch all the time.  My main hangout was Harvard Square, which was still a cool place back then.  It's not anymore.  Why "no future"?  I was clinically depressed and nobody knew what to do about it. 

From your description it's hard to place you with a crowd in my old HS.  Closest I can place you is with a bunch of Depeche Mode/U2/Siouxie listener to-ers...

We had the Mexican Mafiosos - avoided these.  The Jocks - only worry about these in the locker room.  The Madonna Wannabes and Duranies - these are just silly girls.  The Geeks (with which I closely identified) - they're the ones you can find in the art room, during lunch, gathered around the table playing D&D or Marvel Superheros arguing over whose character who kick who's a**.  The safest clique to ally onesself with.  The Rockers - mostly easygoing and accepting but can turn on you if provoked.  Better than Jocks, I also hitched my wagon to this bunch and later on achieved full membership...

Through all of it, though, my old friend and I had each other's backs despite his disapproval of me having anything to do with Rockers...

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 8:59 am

actually, now i think about it...this is how i began as a smoker.
we used to trade off program cards (schedules) so it always looked like you were at lunch or a break and could sit outside all day.
on cold days we used cigarettes to keep warm, holding the lit end in our cupped hands and the boys that smoked would puff on them.
then i began doing it myself.
that was it.

damn my school cliques!

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 9:05 am

actually, now i think about it...this is how i began as a smoker.
we used to trade off program cards (schedules) so it always looked like you were at lunch or a break and could sit outside all day.
on cold days we used cigarettes to keep warm, holding the lit end in our cupped hands and the boys that smoked would puff on them.
then i began doing it myself.
that was it.

damn my school cliques!

O-o-o-o, program cards..!

Didn't have those but you can bet, as sure as god made little green apples, I'd have thoroughly exploited that particular chink in the school's attendance armor... 

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 9:08 am

O-o-o-o, program cards..!

Didn't have those but you can bet, as sure as god made little green apples, I'd have thoroughly exploited that particular chink in the school's attendance armor... 

so great.  they just had a giant number stamped on the middle so people could clearly see when the lunch break was. it was never examined, just flashed so the number could be seen.  so you hang out 4th period, trade with someone and hang out 5th...and so on.

the other stupid thing...if you were absent or overly absent the note sent home was that your child was out "one or more days this week"
so you stay home sick one day, you can be out two more and no one is the wiser.

Written By: Davester on 01/25/08 at 9:25 am

so great.   they just had a giant number stamped on the middle so people could clearly see when the lunch break was. it was never examined, just flashed so the number could be seen.  so you hang out 4th period, trade with someone and hang out 5th...and so on.

the other stupid thing...if you were absent or overly absent the note sent home was that your child was out "one or more days this week"
so you stay home sick one day, you can be out two more and no one is the wiser.

Finally someone understands...

Our sick notes were the same thing as yours.  I'd collect them.  Had a stack of them.  Sometimes the school attendance officer would call home to confirm the absence and, knowing this, I'd take the bells out of the old rotary phone and stuff cotton on either side of the striker.  You can call out, but no ring for incoming...

Written By: KKay on 01/25/08 at 11:56 am

Our sick notes were the same thing as yours.  I'd collect them.  Had a stack of them.  Sometimes the school attendance officer would call home to confirm the absence and, knowing this, I'd take the bells out of the old rotary phone and stuff cotton on either side of the striker.  You can call out, but no ring for incoming...

oh!  I know.

Written By: McDonald on 01/26/08 at 3:50 am

My school was a lot different. It was a magnet school for visual and performing arts. Almost everyone I knew and hung with were either VPA kids, or athletes. I was a VPA kid in the film/tv programme. I was also one of the newspaper kids. But because the school was really centred on those things, they were not harmful to a social life. More like a "What's your major" sort of atmosphere.

I was also a bit of an athlete. I played on the varsity soccer team (even though I sucked and was one of the worst players on our losery team).

I had quite a mixed crowd of friends, but only a few whom I considered close. With those few I am still in touch, even though we've disbursed around the continent.

My school was peculiar, because even the kids who thought themselves popular really weren't. There were to many people. Only small schools have a clearly defined hierarchy.

Written By: tv on 02/02/08 at 1:19 pm

I didn;t even have a group of people to hang out with until like the second half of senior year of High School. I was cool with some of the people from different cliques but friends "no" in my first 3 years of High School. I was in one clique technically in the first few months of sophmore year but that blew up in my face. I was cool with people that were Pro Basketball and NASCAR fans in the mid to late 90's when I went to High School.

Written By: tv on 02/02/08 at 1:27 pm

Same here pretty much. I'm not sure why people who don't go to parties are typecasted as "losers", but I could've cared less about that most of the time. The irony is that I was cool with just about everyone, and lots of people liked me. Yet for some reason, I still didn't get invited to hang out with people (to events, or even on a "daily basis") as much as the next guy.
Yeah I think I got invited to a party like one time but I didn't go when I was in High School. I just basically stayed home each weekend of High School.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/18/08 at 3:33 pm

Just reading through this thread again right now. Wow that's cool, I never knew you were homeschooled (or maybe you said so and I just didn't notice, lol).

I'm kinda torn on how I feel about homeschooling. On one hand I think it's important to have some social interactions in a situation like that, especially if it prepares you for college or the workplace. Yet, I've heard of kids going through some awful stuff at middle and high school, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I guess it just depends on the person and their situation, but it seems to have worked out really well for you. :)

Yeah I think I got invited to a party like one time but I didn't go when I was in High School. I just basically stayed home each weekend of High School.

Yeah, I was more intimidated by those surroundings anyway, so in a way I'm almost glad people didn't invite me to many high school parties, lol. I'm more of a talker and I like individual activities, so I'd rather hang out with people one on one, or at least in small groups.

I also pretty much stayed home on weekends or on Winter break myself, or at most hung out with the occasional friends.

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/08 at 5:56 pm

yeah I wonder about home schooling too...

aside from the religious fanatics who do it to keep their child pure- I don't know much about it.

I wonder if those who are home schooled are prepared for college? What with the course load and the structure and everything I wonder if it's harder for them to sit through a class with so many people and if the work is somewhat overwhelming.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/21/08 at 1:40 am

I don't really fall into a category. I'm not a loner, I'm not a nerd or a geek, and I'm not popular. I have a few friends that are friends with people in the "in crowd", but I myself am not popular.

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 1:36 pm

I started out as a lone wolf with 2 close friends at the time. I got into further education I was popular though I chose to stay away from these people through most of my time at school.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/08 at 10:44 pm

If I didn't want to go.  I just didn't go.  It was an authority issue--my mother couldn't exert enough of it.  My friend Dave lived with his grandmother.  She was 82 and weighed about the same.  He even had his own car.  No matter.  All she had to say was, "Whatchoo mean you not goin' to school, git yer sorry ass outta that bed and go.  You got five minutes!"  That's authority.  My poor mom would rant a litany about the law and responsibility and getting into college.  In one ear, out the other.  She had to go to work more than I had to go to school, so I'd sleep until 9:00, get up, make some pancakes and go hang out in Harvard Square.  I knew mom was right, but I frikkin' hated school.  Had to take some breathers for steam control.  No Columbine here.  All those azzwholes who hassled me in the halls went on to lead the kind of fine, upstanding suburban lives their parents wanted for them, and now their kids are prolly being the same kind of pricks making school hell for a whole new generation!
8-P

Written By: Davester on 02/28/08 at 12:06 am

If I didn't want to go.  I just didn't go.  It was an authority issue--my mother couldn't exert enough of it.  My friend Dave lived with his grandmother.  She was 82 and weighed about the same.  He even had his own car.  No matter.  All she had to say was, "Whatchoo mean you not goin' to school, git yer sorry ass outta that bed and go.  You got five minutes!"  That's authority.  My poor mom would rant a litany about the law and responsibility and getting into college.  In one ear, out the other.  She had to go to work more than I had to go to school, so I'd sleep until 9:00, get up, make some pancakes and go hang out in Harvard Square.  I knew mom was right, but I frikkin' hated school.  Had to take some breathers for steam control.  No Columbine here.  All those azzwholes who hassled me in the halls went on to lead the kind of fine, upstanding suburban lives their parents wanted for them, and now their kids are prolly being the same kind of pricks making school hell for a whole new generation!
8-P

I hated high school, too.  You were bold about it sho'nuff.  Gramps had this way of making me feel really guilty in a "You're killing me" kinda way and so in attempting to keep up appearances I took it underground like Hogan's Heroes.  The rest of my crowd were just as bad.  Out of around a dozen "regular members" nearly half of them lived with only one parent...

Yeah, authority was definately a big problem.  I really don't think I understood the concept until I enlisted.  THEN I understood it in no uncertain terms..!

Written By: Davester on 02/28/08 at 12:13 am

I wonder if those who are home schooled are prepared for college? What with the course load and the structure and everything I wonder if it's harder for them to sit through a class with so many people and if the work is somewhat overwhelming.

I believe Hot Stuff graduated from college...

Written By: KKay on 02/28/08 at 10:37 am

we had lots of great stuff to do in high school...but we were all extra-curricular and NOT academic.

very much like in the movie "Rushmore".  all activity, no grades.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/08 at 11:34 pm

I hated high school, too.  You were bold about it sho'nuff.  Gramps had this way of making me feel really guilty in a "You're killing me" kinda way and so in attempting to keep up appearances I took it underground like Hogan's Heroes.  The rest of my crowd were just as bad.  Out of around a dozen "regular members" nearly half of them lived with only one parent...

Yeah, authority was definately a big problem.  I really don't think I understood the concept until I enlisted.  THEN I understood it in no uncertain terms..!

I spent a few no-direction years between high school and college.  I would have enlisted myself, but my health didn't allow it.  Depression and whatnot. 

High school was nothing like the military.  The army is a level playing field, either you can hack it or you can't.  My high school was all ranked on how much money your family had, how good you were at sports, how big your tits were (chicks only), and how prestigious a college you could go to. 

Written By: Davester on 02/28/08 at 11:50 pm

I spent a few no-direction years between high school and college.  I would have enlisted myself, but my health didn't allow it.  Depression and whatnot. 

High school was nothing like the military.  The army is a level playing field, either you can hack it or you can't.  My high school was all ranked on how much money your family had, how good you were at sports, how big your tits were (chicks only), and how prestigious a college you could go to. 

Sounds about par for the course and much like my own class.  In grade school we're cool.  Once in high school everyone polarizes, finds their crowd and it's like, "Who are YOU to talk to ME!?"  My entire crowd, in 11th/12th grade were 9th/10th graders.  They seemed more down-to-earth and accepting...

But yeah, the money thing was a big issue.  Big tits never hurt.  College goes with the $$$.  Sports, definately.  It was just good politics for some chick coming into high school to attatch herself to either A) a senior or B) a football player or better still C) a varsity football player, never mind that the guy was a dork.  It was all about establishing onesself.  Who you were seen with was at least as important as being seen at all...

Phooey..!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/03/08 at 11:33 pm

I was a stoner...smoked in the parking lot, and skipped school daily.  I had a great time in high school!

Check for new replies or respond here...