» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Musical artists that are critically acclaimed, but you can't get into?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 3:35 pm

I've tried, but really haven't been able to get into the two most critically acclaimed C.B.G.B. artists--The Ramones and Talking Heads. Pretty much every Ramones song sounds the same to me, and Talking Heads just sound awfully pretentious to my ears. Plus I can't stand David Byrne.

And even though I have all of her albums, I haven't been able to really get into Bjork. I got the box set of her albums on an impulse.....That's how I ended up with most of them.

I have a couple of Tori Amos albums, which I bought only because everyone says she's the descendent of Kate Bush, but I really, really don't like her.

Subject: Re: Musical artists that are critically acclaimed, but you can't get into?

Written By: La Roche on 11/24/07 at 4:02 pm

You know who I don't get?

Bob Dylan.

Listening to him is like listening to a 6 year old warble in the bath, sure, it's cute if it's your 6 year old.. but not if you're paying to hear some old goat do it.
Of the 4 Wilburys, Harrison and Orbison were very good, Petty was fantastic, Dylan was a travesty.

Subject: Re: Musical artists that are critically acclaimed, but you can't get into?

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 4:12 pm

CELINE DI 8-P N

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 4:22 pm

celine is not critically acclaimed.

Written By: woops on 11/24/07 at 4:26 pm

Madonna, she's average and mostly known for controversy
Whitney Houston, only like one song from her, "I Want To Dance With Somebody" and find her too 'over the top'
Beach Boys, hear one song and already heard 'em all

Written By: dushanbe on 11/24/07 at 4:43 pm

The Eagles
Led Zeppelin
The Shins :P

Written By: Lindee on 11/24/07 at 4:43 pm

Bob Dylan
The Grateful Dead

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 5:01 pm

celine is not critically acclaimed.

Not by you and I who have taste but some people would say she is...

Written By: woops on 11/24/07 at 5:04 pm

Not by you and I who have taste but some people would say she is...

VH1 used to air Celine Dion videos constantly and have her on their now defunct "Divas" concerts

also can't stand her

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 6:41 pm

VH1 used to air Celine Dion videos constantly and have her on their now defunct "Divas" concerts

also can't stand her

woo hoo another one on the board with taste  ;) 

i think its a conspiracy I don't think anyone likes her she has been sic'd on us to weaken us then the canadians can rule the world.... ;) Just kidding Jason.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 6:49 pm

lots of people must like her, since she's the best selling female artist in the world. i don't know how she beat Madonna, or Mariah.

i actually do have some Celine CDs  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/azcrying.gif. i really, really dislike her voice, and her music makes me depressed, and it makes me feel like a suburbanite soccer mom, and if i ever heard her on the radio, i would change the station immediately, but i do listen to her CDs sometimes. i don't know why.

i actually am a big fan of Mariah and Whitney, so you might say i have bad taste  :\'(.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 6:59 pm

It seems like publications like Rolling Stone have an affinity for 1964 to 1980 music (like after the Fifties but before MTV). Alot of the deeply respected classic rock artists just never appealed to me, or if they did, just a couple songs and not like anything I'd rate that high. I love The Beatles and the Rolling Stones and some of them, but I could never get into Zeppelin, or alot of the '70s stuff with long instrumentals and all that.

Also, even though I'm more a casual fan of them, I do like at least a few songs by alot of the "diva" artists like Whitney and Mariah too (actually her early-mid '90s stuff is great).

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/24/07 at 8:48 pm

I did like some of Celine's earlier songs, but after the whole "Titanic" thing I never wanted to listen to her again for as long as I lived (and still feel that way!).

Written By: ninny on 11/24/07 at 10:14 pm

Bob Dylan, and i really (don't shoot me) do not like Pink Floyd

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/24/07 at 10:15 pm

For me, its:

Bob Dylan, I know he is supposed to be this great songwriter/poet, and I understand his "place" in both folk and rock, and the 60's era. I've even read some of his stuff, and I respect him, a great mind...But man, the voice, I just have never been able to get past the voice!

Eagles, I've not understood how the music of overprivileged, drugged up rock stars could've been so popular with people so far from their lifestyle. Their music was "California" in the '70's & I couldn't get my head around what that was supposed to represent. I could never relate to any of it.

Velvet Underground, I'm a music snob, so I'm supposed to like this type of avant-garde, druggy, band. Odd, artsy and off putting, perfect example of a "cool" band I should probably "know" to prove I have some background in music...but except for a few more know tracks, can't feel any reason to listen to more than a few mins into a song, it bores me. (I do like Lou Reed though, no explanation for that).

Pink Floyd, I've TRIED, really. There are some songs I really like, but as a whole, I could never get into the PF "world" that some were able. Like some otherworldly trance or state when they listened to it, I know, a lot of drugs must of been involved. Always seemed very dark and disturbing to me, and not in a cathartic type of way. I went to art school, do you know how many mixed up people in my dorm tried to kill themselves to "Comfortably Numb"? Or while listening to PF?

Frank Zappa, is really funny. Intelligent musician who definitely went his own way when it came to his artistic direction. I like a lot of his music, and his attitude towards the music business in general, but have really never gotten beneath the surface stuff that most know. Can't listen to a whole album, can't focus or understand the concepts he had I guess...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/24/07 at 10:18 pm

Put me down for Bob Dylan. Good songwriter, mediocre singer.

Written By: ADH13 on 11/24/07 at 11:04 pm

Prince

Never did care for him, I can tolerate some of his earlier stuff now (like 1999 and Let's Go Crazy, etc) but definitely not a fan.

...and Primus...and Nirvana...and most grunge, with a few exceptions.

and I can't forget Morrissey/The Smiths... UGH all his songs are sung in the same awful monotone... 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 11:06 pm

I actually agree, especially with Floyd. I know they've got tons of devoted fans and I guess I can see the appeal to an extent (it's trippy music and I guess it's good musicianship too), but I could never really enjoy it. "Learning To Fly" is great (sort of an atmospheric '80s pop/rock song) but that's the exception, not the rule. ;)

Written By: ninny on 11/24/07 at 11:23 pm

I actually agree, especially with Floyd. I know they've got tons of devoted fans and I guess I can see the appeal to an extent (it's trippy music and I guess it's good musicianship too), but I could never really enjoy it. "Learning To Fly" is great (sort of an atmospheric '80s pop/rock song) but that's the exception, not the rule. ;)

Learning to Fly is about the only Floyd song that I like.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 12:48 am

Prince for me as well.  I loved his 90s hit 'Cream' and his 80s album '1999', but the rest of his stuff I just don't care for.  And now for something I've mentioned many times before ...

I really really hate his song 'Kiss' so bad because it sounds like he's pleasuring himself while he sings it, and I don't really want to listen to that

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 2:06 am

i actually am a big fan of Mariah and Whitney, so you might say i have bad taste  :\'(.

No not at all... I like a few Whitney songs...I was around when she first came out so I kinda feel she was overplayed but Run to You & Queen of the Night are good songs

I like Mariah more than Whitney so  even tho you and I have pretty dissimilar tastes in music we agree about this

UGH I HATE DYLAN- He sounds like some one gave him too much electroshock therapy back in the day  ;D
i
The only Pink Floyd song I have ever heard is the wall... I kinda liked it but I could tell from listening to it that I would hate their music so I never sought it out...

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 2:23 am

I like some of Mariah and Whitney's songs, but the only ones I don't like are the songs with verses that go like "Oh woh woh woh" as their voice goes up and down in range.  I want music, not music class LOL

Written By: Gis on 11/25/07 at 2:52 pm

I'll agree with Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and Prince and add Sheryl Crow to the mix, I can't stand her and I don't really know why.  :P

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 3:00 pm

i hardly know anything about Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin. they are almost complete mysteries to me.

my mom was actually a huge Led Zepplin fan in the 70's. it's weird, because now, her staples are Sarah Brightman, Yanni and Enya. She also liked Sly & The Family Stone.

i don't like Bob Dylan either.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/07 at 3:08 pm

Floyd I think are very good musicians...just can be boring. Radiohead is similar, I respect them, but you really have to be in the mood to listen to them. Bob Dylan, the covers of his songs are always better than his original. Zeppelin is good rock and roll, mediocre lyrics but great musicianship. Eagles, I know a few songs, I quite like "Hotel California".

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/07 at 3:09 pm

Celine Dion, don't hate her but very overrated, doesn't write any of her music and her voice is not as good as proclaimed but I can tolerate a few of her songs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/07 at 3:42 pm

Another vote for Bob Dylan here. I saw him in concert and I really wasn't impressed. luckily I didn't have to pay too much for the tickets (something like $10 since it was in Greece).

Others:
Prince (even though there are a few songs he did that I like)
Guns & Roses (not saying that they are critically acclaimed)
Many other groups I have never really heard that people around here have talked about.

I am sorry that a few people mentioned Pink Floyd. I understand that everyone has their own taste in music but I think they are really cool. (BTW, Carlos isn't really into Pink Floyd either-so it is a bit of an argument with us.  :D )

Oh-there is a rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: tv on 11/25/07 at 8:23 pm

Celine Dion(a couple of her songs are tolerable.)
Led Zeplinn
Britney Spears(I actually read on wikepedia her albums get like 4 out of 5 stars or 3.5 out of 5 stars by some reviewers.) I never got what the big thing was about her. The only semi-decent song by her is "Sometimes". I never understood why she gets coverage by the papparazi so much either.
Bob Dylan
The Eagles(ok Don Henley's solo works is good but the Eagles are just a pop band to me.)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 8:44 pm

I actually read on wikepedia her albums get like 4 out of 5 stars or 3.5 out of 5 stars by some reviewers.

the rating scale is dumbed down for pop artists like her. i would think it has to be.

i think critics lower their standards.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/25/07 at 9:50 pm

Floyd I think are very good musicians...just can be boring. Radiohead is similar, I respect them, but you really have to be in the mood to listen to them. Bob Dylan, the covers of his songs are always better than his original. Zeppelin is good rock and roll, mediocre lyrics but great musicianship. Eagles, I know a few songs, I quite like "Hotel California".

Well said, that's what I've always thought too. I think that's exactly what makes that type of music a love or hate it thing, because you have to be in the mood for it. Whereas general pop is almost always appealing and catchy. I think my favorite proper Eagles song is either "The Long Run" or their 1994 comebacks "Get Over It" (more of a pop/rock song) and "Love Will Keep Us Alive" (AC ballad).

Celine Dion(a couple of her songs are tolerable.)
Led Zeplinn
Britney Spears(I actually read on wikepedia her albums get like 4 out of 5 stars or 3.5 out of 5 stars by some reviewers.) I never got what the big thing was about her. The only semi-decent song by her is "Sometimes". I never understood why she gets coverage by the papparazi so much either.
Bob Dylan
The Eagles(ok Don Henley's solo works is good but the Eagles are just a pop band to me.)

I agree. "Sometimes" is the best Britney song, and I think she gets attention for her celebrity more than her music, even in the early days. I think Don Henley's solo stuff is really good too, especially "The End of the Innocence", "All She Wants to Do is Dance" and "The Boys of Summer" (one of the best '80s pop/rock songs).

Written By: loki 13 on 11/26/07 at 5:04 pm

Bruce Springsteen...Darkness On The Edge Of Town is an okay album but other than that, What gives?

Tom Petty...Just don't get the popularity, to me he sounds like Mush Mouth from Fat Albert.

John Cougar Mellencamp...I have no idea how this raspy voiced, twangy guitar playing, juvenile lyricist ever got popular.
                                    I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than listen to this clown.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/07 at 5:08 pm

Tom Petty...Just don't get the popularity, to me he sounds like Mush Mouth from Fat Albert.

;D

Written By: dushanbe on 11/26/07 at 9:08 pm

elvis, he sounds like a blowhard

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/26/07 at 9:28 pm

elvis, he sounds like a blowhard
Costello?

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 11:55 am

Costello?

presley.  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/28/07 at 12:28 am

Metallica
The Smiths/Morrissey
Radiohead
Nirvana

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/07 at 1:39 am

Rush
Frank Zappa
Bruce Stringbean
KISS

KISS in concert was probably awesome as all, but their songs are mediocre at best.

I like some of Mariah and Whitney's songs, but the only ones I don't like are the songs with verses that go like "Oh woh woh woh" as their voice goes up and down in range.  I want music, not music class LOL

a.k.a Vocal chord masturbation or vocal gymnastics. Yes, we know you have the pipes: try singing actual words and something that doesn't cause dolphins to commit suicide.

(note the above doesn't apply when the singer is singing that way due to real emotions)

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 1:45 am

Rush is also one for me.  I don't really know what it is exactly that I hate about them.  I thought it was Geddy Lee's voice, but I thought he sounded great on the 1985 Northern Lights charity single

Rush had their first hit in Canada wayy back in 1973 :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/07 at 1:47 am

Rush is also one for me.  I don't really know what it is exactly that I hate about them.  I thought it was Geddy Lee's voice, but I thought he sounded great on the 1985 Northern Lights charity single

Rush had their first hit in Canada wayy back in 1973 :o

EW. I hate them too. That voice....is the devil. ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/07 at 1:49 am

Wanna know the last thing a dolphin hears before its head explodes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr9X-x0-WxQ

(why it's flagged adult I have NO idea)

Listen at the 3:45 mark. Make sure any pets are asleep or outside first.

Geedy Lee has like 5 octave ranges. He really is a good singer. Problem is his low range is soprano and his high is "annoyingcano".

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 1:56 am

^ LOL

I used to joke that when Geddy Lee sings, cats on fences throw shoes at him LOL
Seriously though, Geddy sounds great on the charity single 'Tears Are Not Enough'.  His solo comes in at the 2:12 mark ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KC9BxSibg

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/28/07 at 7:19 pm

Bruce Springsteen...Darkness On The Edge Of Town is an okay album but other than that, What gives?

John Cougar Mellencamp...I have no idea how this raspy voiced, twangy guitar playing, juvenile lyricist ever got popular.
                                     I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than listen to this clown.

;D

Hey Loki, sorry but I just find it hilarious (not necesarilly in a bad way!) how opposite our music tastes keep proving to be, lol. I like all those three, and figured out of popular '80s music you would favor guys like them - they're like that era's classic rock. I'd probably also include stuff like Eddie Money and Foreigner in there too.

Oh yeah, I never got the deal about Rush either. It's not just Geddy Lee's screechy voice, but their music just isn't very catchy or appealing to me. The only thing I like by them is "Distant Early Warning" - that sounds like a Police song.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/28/07 at 9:03 pm

;D

Hey Loki, sorry but I just find it hilarious (not necesarilly in a bad way!) how opposite our music tastes keep proving to be, lol. I like all those three, and figured out of popular '80s music you would favor guys like them - they're like that era's classic rock. I'd probably also include stuff like Eddie Money and Foreigner in there too.

Oh yeah, I never got the deal about Rush either. It's not just Geddy Lee's screechy voice, but their music just isn't very catchy or appealing to me. The only thing I like by them is "Distant Early Warning" - that sounds like a Police song.

Yeah, I don't like Eddie Money or Foreigner either.  ;D

I'll prove even further how opposite we are; Pink Floyd and Rush have been mentioned a lot in this thread. I will agree that post
1980 Floyd and Rush sucks, the 80's ruined many a good 70's band but pre 1980 Floyd and Rush I like, A Farewell to Kings is one
of my favorite albums. I never minded Geddy Lee's voice, it seemed to work well with the style of music they played and it wasn't
that much different than Jon Anderson of Yes but no one criticizes him.

Written By: Lindee on 11/29/07 at 6:09 pm

also can't stand her

Remember when she opened up the Divas concert with that horrible cover of AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/29/07 at 9:51 pm

Remember when she opened up the Divas concert with that horrible cover of AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long?

Unfortunately. She and that Anaesthesia thing ruined a great song. At least they changed all the pronouns, otherwise it would have been mind numbingly awful.

Ant

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/08/07 at 11:39 pm

U2 is a band i haven't heard one song from that i liked. i really don't like the production on their music.

Queen is another band i can't get into at all.

Written By: Satish on 12/09/07 at 1:58 pm

I consider "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be the most over rated song of all time. After having heard it a number of times over the years by now, I suppose I've come to appreciate it to a certain degree, but I still don't think it's anything special. Which is why it amazes me that there's so many people who think it's the best song EVER. "Stairway to Heaven" constantly turns up at the top of polls for the choice of all time greatest song. It's as if there's a gigantic cult that worships this one song. But to me, it's just a slow song that goes on for eight minutes. I just don't get it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/07 at 8:25 pm

U2 is a band i haven't heard one song from that i liked. i really don't like the production on their music.

Queen is another band i can't get into at all.

Yeah, U2 are quite a bit repetetive and dull sounding to me. I like a few songs (i.e. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "Mysterious Ways") but sometimes even those get boring pretty quick.

Like I've said before, I agree about Zeppelin too. It's not bad music per se, it just isn't something I consider catchy or worthy of being replayed.

Written By: woops on 12/09/07 at 8:51 pm

Gangsta rap... don't like how the majority glamorizes violence and it's just noise to my ears

Written By: nally on 12/09/07 at 8:54 pm

Gangsta rap... don't like how the majority glamorizes violence and it's just noise to my ears

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I don't really like any rap from the 00's. :P

Written By: woops on 03/01/09 at 4:27 pm

Lady GaGa

Critics may kiss up to her, but she's no different than other pop acts of the past decade

Written By: Frank on 03/01/09 at 6:20 pm

- Any rap music
- Hall and Oates
- Whitney Houston

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/09 at 2:57 pm

I'd like to get into Lady GaGa.  She's cute :D

Lady GaGa is the first GOOD artist to reach the Top 40 around here in a long time

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/09 at 3:37 pm

I think Bruce Springsteen is really overrated.  He just bugs me - he acts so intense all the time.  I'm always afraid he's going to burst a blood vessel or something.

Celine Dion is just obnoxious.  My mom used to say she just stood around yelling.   ;D  I agree with her.

I cannot STAND System of a Down.  Their lead singer's voice just grates on my nerves.   I get that he's trying to be intense and deep, but he just comes off as whiny...like some sort of broken insturment.  Yuck.

I'm a big fan of Bob Dylan.  I know he doesn't have the greatest voice in the world, but his lyrics...pure poetry. 

Written By: nally on 03/02/09 at 11:15 pm

I cannot STAND System of a Down.  Their lead singer's voice just grates on my nerves.   I get that he's trying to be intense and deep, but he just comes off as whiny...like some sort of broken insturment.  Yuck.

Agreed. That group, along with others that have a similar sound/demeanor (such as Korn, Slipknot, Fall-out Boy, among others) I have never really cared for; their quality doesn't appeal to me.

Written By: tv on 03/03/09 at 8:17 pm

Lady GaGa is the first GOOD artist to reach the Top 40 around here in a long time
I having trouble getting into her music. I think she has talent but just can't get into her music.

Lil Wayne-I don't get the big thing about him.

50 Cent, Rihanna, and Jay-Z-I could tolerate a couple songs by those 3 artists but not much else by them.

Coldplay-To me their bland but each to his or her own.

Justin Timberlake-:"Sexyback" sounded good when it first came out now it sounds fadish. I think the only Justin Timberlake song I can get into is "I Think She Knows" its really the only song that shows off Justin's musical style well.

Beyonce

Written By: nally on 02/21/10 at 10:23 pm

I couldn't really get into her much...except for two of her songs ("Just Dance"; "Poker Face"). At first I didn't care for them, but now I don't mind 'em.

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/10 at 6:33 am

You know who I don't get?

Bob Dylan.

Listening to him is like listening to a 6 year old warble in the bath, sure, it's cute if it's your 6 year old.. but not if you're paying to hear some old goat do it.
Of the 4 Wilburys, Harrison and Orbison were very good, Petty was fantastic, Dylan was a travesty.

I totally agree. He wheezed out a song called 'Just like a Woman' and it made me feel nauseous.

"She makes love just like a woman, yes, she does
And she aches just like a woman
But she breaks just like a little girl."

I'm sure that wasn't Dylan's intentions but it sounds so sickening to listen to.

I liked 'The Travelling Wilbury's' though you forgot the always excellent Jeff Lynne from ELO. He created some amazing stuff in the 70s and 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...