» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Overrated films and/or filmmakers

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 12:59 am

Forgive me if this has been done but I haven't seen it... inspired by the overrated actors/actresses & overrated singers threads...

What films & or filmmakers do you consider overrated?

For me
TITANIC is definitely overrated

CITIZEN KANE when I finally saw this I was disappointed it just seemed long to me. I see the beauty in the cinematography and all but I really didn't care for it... the whole time I was like Rosebud is a friggin' sled lets move on!

Star Wars IV-VI...sorry I was in line for episode 1 and realized after seeing 1 that I had little recollection of 4-6.  I marathoned them and fell asleep halfway thru. Man I thought I was a Star Wars fan but I learned that night that I could care less about the it...

Scarface- I see why all the rappers on MTV Cribs own it- its pretty violent but its not very good... Its over-indulgent and full of itself.

Gone with the Wind - I thought Scarlett was a whinny bitch and would've enjoyed the film more if it focused on Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen's characters.

2001 A Space Odyessy. never could get into this movie.  Tried to watch it many times but I've fallen asleep every time it comes on

Filmmakers:

I have never been a fan of Woody Allen or Clint Eastwood but I am going to give Clint another try now that I'm older and a little more patient. 

Subject: Re: Overrated films and/or filmmakers

Written By: woops on 11/28/07 at 1:19 am

agree with all

Though I find all "Star Wars" movies overrated

One movie I consider overrated  is "ET", though I found the title character creepy when I was younger

"Snow White & The Sven Dwarfs", Though it's Disney's first full length animated movie.. it's rather boring

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 1:20 am

agree with all

Though I find all "Star Wars" movies overrated

One movie I consider overrated  is "ET", though I found the title character creepy when I was younger

"Snow White & The Sven Dwarfs", Though it's Disney's first full length animated movie.. it's rather boring

I feel that way about sleeping beauty!

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/07 at 1:31 am

Overrated movies:

Clerks
Napoleon Dynamite  8-P
Titanic
West Side Story
Warriors
Blair Witch Project
Matrix sequels
Star Trek sequels
~and~
Almost every natural disaster movie made not cut directly to cable.

With the exception of Napoleon Dynamite, I liked most of these movies, so it's not a "sucky movie list".

As for directors, I can't think of any that are overrated as a whole: everyone has a bad film from time to time. The ones that are regarded highly usually earn it. If I had to pick two though, Woody Allen and Spike Lee would be it.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 1:52 am

Movies:
I know i'll get chastised for this, but most movies by Martin Scorsese.  I don't like movies with realistic mob violence.  If I wanted to see some guy get his legs broken with a baseball bat, I'll just go downtown at night.  The only movie Scorsese made that I liked was 'After Hours'.  That was an awesome film!

Filmmakers:
A big one for me is Steven Spielberg.  I do like his movies, but it just seems like when Spielberg has a new movie out, all other movies have to take a backseat

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/28/07 at 8:03 am

i can't stand the films of Wes Anderson  8-P. he's so pretentious.

i also have never really enjoyed any Quentin Tarentino films i've seen. but i can see why they are considered good movies.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/28/07 at 12:07 pm

I never go to the movies or even watch many on tv because the hype always ruins things for me.  I agree with many of the movies listed and I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/07 at 12:29 pm

I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

The same here.  I didn't like that movie at all.  That little blonde haired kid was super annoying

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 6:02 pm

I never go to the movies or even watch many on tv because the hype always ruins things for me. 

This why I still haven't seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy... all the hoopla around it made not want to go!

I agree with many of the movies listed and I'll add "Jerry Maguire" to that list.  While I think Cameron Crowe is ok on the whole, I HATED this movie and didn't understand all the hoo-ha!

I actually liked Jerry Maguire but I love a romantic movie although.....

The same here.  I didn't like that movie at all.  That little blonde haired kid was super annoying

Jason is right about this^  ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/28/07 at 9:17 pm

The more hype and hoopla a movie gets, the less likely I am to see it. I don't know why that is, other than going to hyped-up movies in the past and coming out disappointed and $20.00 poorer.  :(

Written By: EuriskoXP on 11/30/07 at 2:31 am

stephen spielberg. total sellout. biggest whore in the industry.

Check for new replies or respond here...