» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The later part of the decade = the cheesiest?

Written By: sonikuu on 12/03/07 at 2:28 pm

Is it just me or is there a trend in decades for the later part of the decade to be the cheesiest?  This is particularly prevalent in music and fashion.  Let us take a look:

late 70s: Disco and thats all I need to say on that.  Ironically enough, it was also the defining part of the decade.
late 80s: Hair bands, Old School Rap (cheesy, but extremely fun, better than today's Rap), the fashion (see: all the neon colors in shows like Saved By The Bell)
late 90s: Boy bands, Teen Pop, and Rap entered its Glam Rap phase with rappers like Puff Daddy popularizing the "I'm rich bitch" image.  The fashion hasn't dated as quickly though.  Its out of date, but not laughable.
late 00s: Well, as of 2007, it looks like the trend will be continuing.    The Dance-Pop stuff like Justin Timberlake and Timbaland is good (no doubt because it hasn't been saturated with crappy stuff yet.  Wait until 2008 for that.) but music like that tends to date very quickly.  Rap has gotten so cheesy and saturated that all I can do is hope some form of "Alternative Rap" pops up in 2008 or 2009.  Also, Rap clothes...well, just look at them:
http://mixtapeshow.net/wp-content/souljaboy.jpg
(thats Soulja Boy)

Well, I'd say the trend is going to continue with this decade.  Now that doesn't mean all music will be cheesy (a lot of late 90s Rock music has aged very well) or that "cheesiness = bad" (if its the right kind of cheesy, then its alright.  See: the entire 1980s.), just that this trend looks like it will continue again this decade and the amount of cheesiness will increase.  What do you guys say?  Will the late 00s be the cheesiest part of the 00s or will the trend be broken in 2008 or 2009?

Subject: Re: The later part of the decade = the cheesiest?

Written By: Step-chan on 12/03/07 at 8:30 pm

Pop culture wise, the later parts of the decades do tend to be pretty silly. I have seen a few good things come out towards end of the last decades, but it's usually drowned out by the other crap.

Written By: Brigitte on 12/03/07 at 9:43 pm

There is some obscure stuff out there that was not that popular but pop culture enthusiasts remember as not that memorable (if that makes sense)
IE- If it was not played on the radio, it was not a hit! Bulldodo!

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/07 at 10:33 pm

Soulja Boy should be the poster boy for "Why music is crappy in 2007"

That coat he is wearing in that picture zips all the way up to the top of the hood.  He should do that the next time he sings :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 5:40 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I think one of the reasons why is because the basic styles which have defined the decade so far, are getting played out and saturated. So to up the ante, they try something with some new elements and it ends up just looking a bit silly.

For the record, that doesn't mean it's bad, because just personally some of my favorite music, movies and televison came out during Bush One's term. I think 1989-1993 was the transitional time (like from when New Kids became really popular, until power ballads faded away).

Yeah, I think alot of late '90s fashions have become out of style, although not maybe as laughable as some other things have been after they go out of style. I'm not sure what the proper name is for it, but that haircut which is something of a buzz around the bottom, with bigger hair on top. That's about 8 years out of date now and I still see it occasionally. Same with the Sugar Ray-esque blonde highlights. Also, the Backstreet Boys are very outmoded, and even if their core audience hadn't grown up and moved on, I think they still wouldn't be very popular anymore.

Written By: sonikuu on 12/05/07 at 3:09 am

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I think one of the reasons why is because the basic styles which have defined the decade so far, are getting played out and saturated. So to up the ante, they try something with some new elements and it ends up just looking a bit silly.

For the record, that doesn't mean it's bad, because just personally some of my favorite music, movies and televison came out during Bush One's term. I think 1989-1993 was the transitional time (like from when New Kids became really popular, until power ballads faded away).

Yeah, I agree with this.  Just because a cheesy era comes along doesn't necessarily make it bad.  I like the music of 2007 more than the music of 2003, for example.  Actually, 2007 is better than 2003 in pretty much everything in my opinion.  2006 was a good year too, if you look past the terrible Rap and the fact that it was a lame movie year.  Things may be getting cheesier, but I actually like it.  That may change as things become more saturated as time goes on.  Rap, for example, has already hit the saturation point...I hope.  I keep telling myself mainstream Rap can't get any worse, yet it somehow manages to prove me wrong every time.

For now though, I'd actually say 2007 is probably part of the "top tier" of 00s years (along with 2004 and 2000).  Yes, I've heard many people complain about how terrible pop culture is, but I honestly don't think things are as bad as people make them out to be.  I used to complain about the current state of pop culture all the time.  However, I eventually realized that the only reason I was complaining was because I was ignoring all the good stuff in favor of complaining about the bad.  I was complaining about how terrible current pop culture was, when I realized that I actually enjoyed a majority of it.  I was really just complaining about certain aspects of pop culture and amplifying them ten times, resulting in me making things about to be more terrible than they really are.  I notice that online, people tend to focus on the bad rather than the good more than they do in real life, so I guess its just a natural human reaction.

Now I just take the good things while ignoring the bad things, except with serious issues like politics, world affairs, etc.  I hate mainstream Rap, but I'm not going to take one area of pop culture I hate and use it to explain about how terrible pop culture as a whole is.  Just seems immature now and besides, focusing on the good allows me to enjoy things as they are, rather than possibly regretting in the future about how I had a negative view on things when it wasn't that bad.  I prefer to focus on the good while complaining sparingly about the bad and with that mindset in mind, 2007 has been an amazing year.  If this is what the "cheesy late 00s" looks like, then give me more of it...just cut out the mainstream Rap  (the underground can stay).

Written By: tv on 12/05/07 at 10:34 am

Late 90's: It wasnlt cheesy to me except for maybe the Spice Girls, Hasnson and basically the whole year of 1999 because of teen-pop had taken over the music scene with Britney which overpopulated teen-pop way too much. Rap was not that bad in 1998 as it is now despite Puff Daddy. Yeah I agree with the orginal poster that Puff Daddys 1997-mid 1998 fashion kinda looks ridicolous now. Even Puffy(now P. Diddy) doesn't dress like that anymore I don;t think.

late 80's: not that cheesey too except for New Kids and Maybe Tiffany and some of Debbie Gibson;s stuff. I think Hair Metal was to the point of oversaturation until 1990(maybe) or 1991(definately) to where it got cheesey like Glam Rap is now.

late 70's Disco: I was born in 1979 but this was a cheesy era no doubt execpt for Donna Summer I think since I do think she is a credible artist and is the queen of Disco in my opinion.

late 00's(2007) gimmicky one hit rap wonders like Soulja boy. Yes this era is kinda cheesey or is starting out that way.

Written By: Gouda on 12/09/07 at 1:57 pm

the '00s are kind of cheesy the whole way through. :D i guess rap is becoming more gimmicky, but i don't really see any sort of teenybopper thing coming back.

Written By: tv on 12/10/07 at 6:46 pm

the '00s are kind of cheesy the whole way through. :D i guess rap is becoming more gimmicky, but i don't really see any sort of teenybopper thing coming back.
Yeah I was gonna mention that in my previous post non this theread that I on;t think teen-pop is going to be popular in 2008 or 2009 the way it was in the late 80'as and late 90's. I don;t know its just my gut feelling.

Check for new replies or respond here...