» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Crime in inner cities and suburbia over the decades?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/08/07 at 1:43 am

The impression I've always gotten was that in the '80s, inner cities had alot of crime and poverty as well as overall neglect at times. People tended to abandon them for the more prosperous suburbs. If you listen to some of those early rap songs, this seems to be one thing they brought up alot, especially when they opposed Reagan's politics. They were demanding these facts be heard.

So I would say the crime rate was about the same as today, maybe even a bit higher in terms of ratio. Suburbs seem to have gone the other direction, especially after the Clinton era. For instance, one common thing I've heard (including by people on this board) which I've noticed myself and somewhat agree with...is that kids tend not to play outside now as much as they did in the '80s, '90s and previous decades. Perhaps this is because the perceived bigger lack of relative safety in suburbia, due to elements such as kidnappings and gang activity.

This seems especially true starting in the late '90s and especially after 2001ish.

Subject: Re: Crime in inner cities and suburbia over the decades?

Written By: Davester on 12/08/07 at 2:01 am

I don't know, but the crooks definately dress better these days.  Can you imagine the humiliation of being mugged and bloodied by a guy wearing a neon headband and parachute pants..?

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/07 at 2:13 am

I don't know, but the crooks definately dress better these days.  Can you imagine the humiliation of being mugged and bloodied by a guy wearing a neon headband and parachute pants..?

It would be more of a success for the crook becuase while you would be on the floor laughing hysterically at his clothes, he'd he robbing you blind ;D

Written By: Davester on 12/08/07 at 2:22 am

It would be more of a success for the crook becuase while you would be on the floor laughing hysterically at his clothes, he'd he robbing you blind ;D

LOL..!

80s inner city crime just reminds me of a Michael Jackson video or an episode of 21 Jumpstreet...

And let the record reflect - Holly Robinson is 100% babe... :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/07 at 2:57 pm

Crime fluctuates with the economy.  The problem was exacerbated in the 80s with the unchecked influx of drugs such as crack cocaine, angel dust, and methamphetamines.  People who could get out did, leaving the inner cities held hostage to the worst elements, who were able to take control.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/08/07 at 8:05 pm

^ That's a good point actually. The crack epidemic was huge and I think added to the decay of downtown areas. That's not to say every place was a crime-infested ghetto, though. Boomers also tended to move out to the suburbs as they started familes, so that's probably another reason the '80s (and really '90s too) were so suburban-focused.

Although I didn't see the entire movie, Do The Right Thing was a good example of spotlighting the racial tensions among other problems in inner cities c. 1989.

;D

Seriously though, I think that's partly true. From what I've seen, in the '80s you didn't dress like a thug or a criminal unless you really were one. It wasn't a fashion statement or cool. I noticed this changing as early as when I was around late Elementary, once hip hop started really getting into elements of mainstream culture in the early-mid '90s. It's far more noticeable now though, with glam rap's popularity and bling bling fashion.

Does anyone agree the crime and overall danger has slightly lessened in downtown areas (i.e. New York City after Giulianni was elected mayor), yet somewhat increased in the suburbs if you compare the 1980s with the 2000s? For instance, Halloween and tons of kids en masse trick or treating in neighborhoods doesn't seem to quite be as big as it once was, and maybe that's partially the reason.

On one hand you'll have people who lament the decline of safety and things being the way they used to be. On the other, you'll have those who will say "ahh people are paranoid, that's the problem". In reality, they go hand in hand and I see both points of view. The reason people are afraid is because of the lack of security (or at least the possibility of something happening). It's a sad statement that they have to be that way in the first place. Although I think it's good to have a balance and not be too far to either side - i.e. cautious and protective, but still able to have fun.

P.S. Speaking of trick or treating, I actually haven't done it since 1993, and that's probably the last year something could be mistaken for the '80s. So my timing was perfect for getting that experience. ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/07 at 4:59 am

Does anyone agree the crime and overall danger has slightly lessened in downtown areas (i.e. New York City after Giulianni was elected mayor), yet somewhat increased in the suburbs if you compare the 1980s with the 2000s? For instance, Halloween and tons of kids en masse trick or treating in neighborhoods doesn't seem to quite be as big as it once was, and maybe that's partially the reason.

On one hand you'll have people who lament the decline of safety and things being the way they used to be. On the other, you'll have those who will say "ahh people are paranoid, that's the problem". In reality, they go hand in hand and I see both points of view. The reason people are afraid is because of the lack of security (or at least the possibility of something happening). It's a sad statement that they have to be that way in the first place. Although I think it's good to have a balance and not be too far to either side - i.e. cautious and protective, but still able to have fun.

P.S. Speaking of trick or treating, I actually haven't done it since 1993, and that's probably the last year something could be mistaken for the '80s. So my timing was perfect for getting that experience. ;)

The issue of crime laden inner cities and kids trick or treating can me mutually exclusive.  One is  addressing the effects of socialization, poverty, and lack of enforcement.  The feeling that you must monitor your child more closely is one of being cautious(in some cases over cautious) of the "hidden" dangers, that are actually lurking way closer to home than some want to admit.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/09/07 at 6:35 pm

The impression I've always gotten was that in the '80s, inner cities had alot of crime and poverty as well as overall neglect at times.

Very true.

People tended to abandon them for the more prosperous suburbs.

This phenomenon happened a lot earlier than the 80's.  I'd say the 50's or even before was the time when people started leaving the cities, and tons of people had left by the late 60's.  I believe there was a second wave of migration away from inner cities into the suburbs in the 80's - a much smaller migration out than the first.

Crime increased during the 60's and was rampant during the 70's.  One of the biggest differences starting in the 80's was the proliferation of street gangs.  Gangs started during the 60's but were quieted, and were fairly dormant in the 70's; however there was a ton of crime in the 70's, it just didn't come from organized street gangs.  A difference in the crime today from a couple of decades ago, a much higher percentage of serious violent crimes is being committed by kids than what you'd see before the 80's.  Granted there were kids doing crimes, but more like drugs, petty theft, auto theft, maybe some muggings.  Kids didn't do as much killing then.  I attribute that primarily to gangs, although I think a second but smaller factor is video games and excessively violent media.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/07 at 8:31 pm

Very true.

This phenomenon happened a lot earlier than the 80's.  I'd say the 50's or even before was the time when people started leaving the cities, and tons of people had left by the late 60's.  I believe there was a second wave of migration away from inner cities into the suburbs in the 80's - a much smaller migration out than the first.

Crime increased during the 60's and was rampant during the 70's.  One of the biggest differences starting in the 80's was the proliferation of street gangs.  Gangs started during the 60's but were quieted, and were fairly dormant in the 70's; however there was a ton of crime in the 70's, it just didn't come from organized street gangs.  A difference in the crime today from a couple of decades ago, a much higher percentage of serious violent crimes is being committed by kids than what you'd see before the 80's.  Granted there were kids doing crimes, but more like drugs, petty theft, auto theft, maybe some muggings.  Kids didn't do as much killing then.  I attribute that primarily to gangs, although I think a second but smaller factor is video games and excessively violent media.

While I disagree about video games (I don't think a piece of media will make someone have a trait they didn't previously have...because almost no one would have it in them to kill or even commit a violent crime. So I believe they would've probably done it regardless), I think the rest are good points.

Minors committing violent crimes seemed to really increase in the early-mid '90s. I remember seeing alot of media coverage about that. They always got in trouble to an extent, but I agree that it generally wasn't excessively violent before then. Maybe some fistfights at most. The existance of gangs in general probably are what make the last quarter century (somewhat rightfully) feel less safe, just because they're so prevalent, and they travel in numbers, making them seem that much more threatening.

Check for new replies or respond here...