» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: nothing

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/12/07 at 11:20 pm

http://www.wellbridge.com/globalimages/balancephotos/2005_groupexercise_FitWomenClass.jpg

Subject: Re: artists that were huge everywhere but in the U.S.?

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/07 at 11:55 pm

ABBA wasn't huge in the US?  You'd better check your facts ;D

One I know for sure is Boney M

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/13/07 at 1:15 pm

everywhere i read about ABBA said that they weren't as sucessful in the U.S. as in other countries.

I'll agree they weren't "as successful" in the U.S. as elsewhere - from what I gather their success was way over the top elsewhere.  But they certainly were considered "superstars" in the U.S.  In the mid to late 70's, they were pretty dominant.

As to your original question, I know ther are a ton of artists that were huge outside of the US but not here.  Can't think of any at the moment, though...  (I guess I'll have to pop in later  ::))

Written By: tv on 12/13/07 at 7:53 pm

ABBA and Kylie Minogue are two i can think of. i wish both of them were more popular here. i think Kylie deseves to be a super star here 100X more than Britney.

No, Kylie Minogue has been popular in the US on a couple occasions: in the late 80's and in 2002. in 2002 "Can;t Getta Out Of My Head", "Love At First Sight" and "Come Into My World" were hits in the US for Kylie. "Can;t Getta Out Of My Head" was one of the most played songs in the US in 2002.

Pop/R&B singer "Anastacia" was huge everywhere in the early 00's except for the US I think. Anastacia never caught on in the US.

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/07 at 12:45 am

Yeah ABBA was huge in the 70s.  Kylie Minogue was kinda big in the 80s but I must admit I didn't know she was still recording.  I considered her a one hit wonder.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/15/07 at 2:25 am

No, Kylie Minogue has been popular in the US on a couple occasions: in the late 80's and in 2002. in 2002 "Can;t Getta Out Of My Head", "Love At First Sight" and "Come Into My World" were hits in the US for Kylie. "Can;t Getta Out Of My Head" was one of the most played songs in the US in 2002.

Pop/R&B singer "Anastacia" was huge everywhere in the early 00's except for the US I think. Anastacia never caught on in the US.

i would still hardly call her a super star. but never mind. i shouldn't have made this thread.

it was a terrible miscalculation on my part.

Subject: Re: nothing

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 8:22 am

Why nothing?

Written By: Jessica on 12/15/07 at 9:46 am

i would still hardly call her a super star. but never mind. i shouldn't have made this thread.

it was a terrible miscalculation on my part.

You know, it's really annoying when you delete stuff that you started just because someone pissed you off/disagreed with you. Luckily, we have the quotes function. You may not want to play in your thread anymore, but I do.

Scissor Sisters. They were pretty popular abroad, but not here. Funny thing is, they're from the US!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 9:51 am

How big is Cliff Richard in the USA?

Written By: Tia on 12/15/07 at 10:38 am

You know, it's really annoying when you delete stuff that you started just because someone pissed you off/disagreed with you.
i sorta like it. this whole thread is surreal and seinfeldian now. :P

i like abba.

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/07 at 11:13 am

How big is Cliff Richard in the USA?

Not nearly as popular as he was everywhere else.  In his golden days of the 50s and 60s, he only had 2 US Top 40 hits ('Living Doll' and 'It's All in the Game').  He did though have a nice little comeback later in his career ... From 1976-1982, he charted a brief run of US Top 40 hits.  In total, he had 20 hits in the Billboard Hot 100, 9 which made the Top 40 (no #1 hits)

Naturally though, he did much better in his native UK and other countries such as Canada, Australia, (pretty much everywhere but the US)

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/07 at 11:17 am

Scissor Sisters. They were pretty popular abroad, but not here. Funny thing is, they're from the US!

That one is a mystery yes.  They have 8 Top 40 hits in the UK, but have not once charted a single in the Billboard Hot 100 :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 12:21 pm

Not nearly as popular as he was everywhere else.  In his golden days of the 50s and 60s, he only had 2 US Top 40 hits ('Living Doll' and 'It's All in the Game').  He did though have a nice little comeback later in his career ... From 1976-1982, he charted a brief run of US Top 40 hits.  In total, he had 20 hits in the Billboard Hot 100, 9 which made the Top 40 (no #1 hits)

Naturally though, he did much better in his native UK and other countries such as Canada, Australia, (pretty much everywhere but the US)
He (Cliff Richard) cannot do any better in the UK Charts for he has sold the most singles.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/07 at 1:28 pm

He (Cliff Richard) cannot do any better in the UK Charts for he has sold the most singles.

I love his song, "I Still Believe in You"

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/07 at 3:07 pm

You know, it's really annoying when you delete stuff that you started just because someone pissed you off/disagreed with you. Luckily, we have the quotes function. You may not want to play in your thread anymore, but I do.

wow I never heard of them

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 3:09 pm

wow I never heard of them
Scissor Sisters

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/07 at 3:11 pm

Scissor Sisters

thanks

Check for new replies or respond here...