» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Popular Artists that weren't popular in some Countries

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/07 at 11:35 am

A spin-off from xSouiXBoix's topic, since his apparently no longer exists ::)

♦ From 1976-1990, Daryl Hall and John Oates had a total of 29 Top 40 hits in the US, but did you know they only had 6 Top 40 hits in the UK? (all charted between 1980-1985). 

The Jam were a popular punk band in the UK and many International countries.  Despite 4 charting albums in the US, did you know they had no hit singles in the US Hot 100? 
In Canada, they had just 1 hit with 'Town Called Malice' which reached the Top 20 in 1982

Subject: Re: Popular Artists that weren't popular in some Countries

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/15/07 at 6:30 pm

Siouxboix's thread seems to be called "Nothing"....

Do T Rex and Marc Bolan qualify?   I don't know any stats, but they were nearly as successful on the US charts as they were in their native England.

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/07 at 2:30 am

Siouxboix's thread seems to be called "Nothing"....

Do T Rex and Marc Bolan qualify?   I don't know any stats, but they were nearly as successful on the US charts as they were in their native England.

They do indeed count.  With all the hits T-Rex had in the UK, only 'Bang A Gong' made it into the Top 40 in both the US and Canada

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/16/07 at 11:45 am

David Hasselhoff is HUGE in Germany (supposedly) and people here wouldn't touch his music with a cattle prod!  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/16/07 at 11:16 pm

Slade was very popular in their Hometown UK, but didn't have a hit in the states until the 80's.

Written By: robby76 on 12/17/07 at 9:01 am

Despite being English, Andy Gibb had 3 no1's in the US and yet only scraped a Top 10 placing with one single in his native UK.  :o

His brothers on the other hand...  :D

Written By: Brian06 on 12/17/07 at 9:11 am

Stuff like McFly or Girls Aloud which I am aware is popular in the UK is pretty much unknown here in the United States. Most of the one hit wonder rappers over here have not made it over to the UK (though Soulja Boy has made it over there somehow  ::)).

Written By: holicman on 12/18/07 at 12:26 am

Thats quite interesting about the Jam.

There most poular hit was thats entertainment.......I seriously thought that wouldve charted in America.

Written By: karen on 12/18/07 at 11:03 am

Based on the music I've heard played on the radio since moving to the states it seems like Elton John is more popular here than in the UK.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/18/07 at 3:50 pm

Based on the music I've heard played on the radio since moving to the states it seems like Elton John is more popular here than in the UK.
Really?  I don't know why, but that's surprising to me.

Written By: Paul on 12/18/07 at 4:22 pm

Retro-rocker Shakin' Stevens had a quite impressive UK scorecard in his heyday (the 80s)...

30 hits, which included 4 #1's, 3 #2's and a further 8 which went Top 10...

Yet in America...one titchy little hit with 'Cry Just A Little Bit'...

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/18/07 at 4:31 pm

Again, I don't know any stats, but Suzi Quattro comes to mind as someone who only had 1 hit in America and was much more popular in England.

Written By: Paul on 12/18/07 at 4:54 pm

Again, I don't know any stats, but Suzi Quattro comes to mind as someone who only had 1 hit in America and was much more popular in England.

She had two #1s and a handful of top tenners, yet strangely, her big Stateside hit ('Stumblin' In' with Smokie's Chris Norman) didn't perform at all well here...

Perhaps her biggest exposure in her homeland was appearing in 'Happy Days'...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/07 at 4:56 pm

I understand that David Hasselhoff is very big in Germany.

Written By: Paul on 12/18/07 at 5:03 pm

In the Bierkellers?  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/07 at 2:27 am

The theme song to the 1981 TV series The Fall Guy ('The Unknown Stuntman' by Lee Majors) was a #1 hit in Germany.  On the Season 1 DVD of this series, there is an interview with Lee Majors where he mentions this as well as Hasselhoff's stardom there, and then remarks that Germans must not know anything about music ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 2:55 am

The theme song to the 1981 TV series The Fall Guy ('The Unknown Stuntman' by Lee Majors) was a #1 hit in Germany.  On the Season 1 DVD of this series, there is an interview with Lee Majors where he mentions this as well as Hasselhoff's stardom there, and then remarks that Germans must not know anything about music ;D
Some Germans do know a lot about music.

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/08 at 2:39 am

Simple Minds - Yes they were popular in North America, but compared to their run of hits in their homeland, it was very brief ... 

UK - 30 hits (24 in the Top 40)
US - 5 hits (All 5 in the Top 40)
Canada - 9 hits (8 in the Top 40)

-----------------------

As a solo artist, Steve Winwood was a bigger success in North America than he was in his native UK ...

UK - 9 hits (2 in the Top 40)
US - 15 hits (10 in the Top 40)
Canada - 17 hits (12 in the Top 40)

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/08 at 3:03 am

And how about XTC .. They were known in America, but chartwise, you wouldn't think so:  they had several chart albums, but none made the Top 40 and their only charting single 'The Mayor of Simpleton' only reached US #72

Their most successful album in the US was 1980's Black Sea (US #41).  In Canada, it was 1979's 'Drums and Wires' (CAN #15) and in their native UK, it was 1982's 'English Settlement' (UK #5)

Written By: McDonald on 01/01/08 at 4:45 am

And how about XTC .. They were known in America, but chartwise, you wouldn't think so:  they had several chart albums, but none made the Top 40 and their only charting single 'The Mayor of Simpleton' only reached US #72

Their most successful album in the US was 1980's Black Sea (US #41).  In Canada, it was 1979's 'Drums and Wires' (CAN #15) and in their native UK, it was 1982's 'English Settlement' (UK #5)

Big fan of XTC. Oranges and Lemons baby!

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 7:55 pm

Danity Kane's show stopper does not sound like a American song, it's Islamic music from like Oman.

Written By: Gis on 01/18/08 at 5:41 pm

I do remember when I was visiting America in the 90's and Bush were on the radio all the time. I was stunned when I found out they were from the U.K . They never had any hits over here.

Spandau Ballet were as big as Duran Duran in the U.K but not in America I understand.

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/08 at 12:07 am

Spandau Ballet were as big as Duran Duran in the U.K but not in America I understand.

Sadly, this is correct in all of North America.  They still made themselves a name, but to this day are still (mistakenly) referred to as one hit wonders

The complete charts for Spandau Ballet in North America ...

ALBUMS
1982 - Diamond
1983 - True
1984 - Parade
1987 - Through the Barricades

SINGLES
1983 - Communication
1983 - True
1984 - Gold
1984 - Only When You Leave
1987 - How Many Lies

Written By: tv on 01/19/08 at 6:11 pm

Sadly, this is correct in all of North America.  They still made themselves a name, but to this day are still (mistakenly) referred to as one hit wonders

The complete charts for Spandau Ballet in North America ...

ALBUMS
1982 - Diamond
1983 - True
1984 - Parade
1987 - Through the Barricades

SINGLES
1983 - Communication
1983 - True
1984 - Gold
1984 - Only When You Leave
1987 - How Many Lies
I never even heard "Gold" and "Only When You Leave" and I do live in the US so they actually had 3 hits in America. Ok.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/21/08 at 2:48 pm

Did Spandau Ballet also sing that Politics of Dancing song?

Written By: Henk on 01/21/08 at 3:02 pm

Did Spandau Ballet also sing that Politics of Dancing song?

No, that was Re-Flex. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/22/08 at 10:15 am

No, that was Re-Flex. :)
OK, thanks for the clarification.  I don't know why I thought it was SB.

Check for new replies or respond here...