» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Casey Kasem

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/21/07 at 12:50 am

Don't you think he has a way of making almost anything relating to music sound interesting and cool? Whether it's giving information on artists/bands, doing stuff like Long Distance Dedications, or just announcing the songs in general with that deejay-esque voice. I actually remember when there were reruns of his '80s shows in the mid-late '90s - I wish I'd saved some. The old days weren't TOTALLY dead until he went off the air.

Subject: Re: Casey Kasem

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 1:14 am

I loved the tone of his voice. He will always and forever be, Shaggy though! :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/21/07 at 1:56 am

As good a time as any for Negativland and U2, The Forbidden Single, after they got their hands on some Casey Kasem outtakes, and before the lawsuits...

"Now, we're up to our long-distance dedication.  And this one is about kids, and pets, and a situation that we can all understand, whether we have kids, or pets, or neither..."

(If you don't get the reference, download both tracks, and revel in the glorious white-hot rage of of Casey Kasem losing it...)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/21/07 at 2:06 am

^ Oh yeah, that was when he flipped out on the air, because they did a dedication after an upbeat song had just finished, and it was hard for him to segue into it. I heard that on YouTube recently, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/21/07 at 2:08 am

^ Oh yeah, that was when he flipped out on the air, because they did a dedication after an upbeat song had just finished, and it was hard for him to segue into it. I heard that on YouTube recently, lol.

wow.....he totally FLIPPED out....over THAT? ??? :o

Written By: Davester on 12/21/07 at 3:59 am

Don't you think he has a way of making almost anything relating to music sound interesting and cool? Whether it's giving information on artists/bands, doing stuff like Long Distance Dedications, or just announcing the songs in general with that deejay-esque voice. I actually remember when there were reruns of his '80s shows in the mid-late '90s - I wish I'd saved some. The old days weren't TOTALLY dead until he went off the air.

The long distance dedications and the jingle for the show, neat memorable stuff.  He was also the voice of NBC in the late 70s and early 80s (station IDs and TV spots, previews and stuff...)

I heard the audio clip of Kasey flipping out a few years ago.  Pretty funny...

NBC Fall Promos, 80-81 Season

Written By: whistledog on 12/21/07 at 4:51 am

I loved the tone of his voice. He will always and forever be, Shaggy though! :)

And Robin on "The Super Friends" :D

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 12/21/07 at 10:22 am

He's off? I heard him in 2005! Must have been recent.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/21/07 at 1:08 pm

I don't think he's off, he moved to a shorter top 20 show (the last I heard anyway). Unless that one is off too now I do not know.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/21/07 at 3:01 pm

Yeah there's an LA station that I get that plays him in the morning on my way to work...7am PST

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/21/07 at 3:35 pm

I used to listen to him a lot in the 1980's, and I always loved his voice!  8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/21/07 at 3:36 pm

This is Casey Kasem signing off...til next time "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!"  What a great quote!

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/21/07 at 8:59 pm

I would listen to Casey's Top 40 radio show from beginning to end almost every week....SIGH, I miss those days.

I will also always remember Casey as the voice of Shaggy, too!  :)

Written By: Davester on 12/21/07 at 10:07 pm

This is Casey Kasem signing off...til next time "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!"  What a great quote!

I'd forgotton that little nugget..!  Neat..!

I'll do so, Casey...

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/07 at 11:15 pm

wow.....he totally FLIPPED out....over THAT? ??? :o

Whaddya mean "over THAT"?  It's not like he was asking for much.  Haven't we all felt a little...

"OK, I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a farking up-tempo record everytime I do a goddamn death dedication! It's the last goddamn time, I want SOMEBODY to use his friggin' brain, to not come out of a goddamn record that is, uh, that, that's up-tempo and I gotta talk about a frackin' dog dying!!!"

...from time to time?  He didn't even ask for sharks with frickin' lasers on his head.  Throw him a frickin' bone there!

(Mods -- nuke it if ya gotta, I claim temporary exemption from the no-filter-dodging rule since that's a word-for-word transcript of Casey Kasem flipping out, if you don't believe me, listen to the U2/Negativland originals, and do you have any idea how hard it is to type while dabbing laughter-induced sprays of beer from the keyboard? :)

Written By: nally on 12/25/07 at 1:51 am

I was an avid listener of his "American Top 20" countdown show from 1995 until March 1997. Every Sunday night, his show would air on KBIG (104.3 FM in Los Angeles) and I would just about listen to it every week until the station stopped carrying his show, in March of '97. They eventually brought it back, but by then I only listened periodically.

His programs were lotsa fun to listen to. He often gave very interesting information about the songs and/or artists, whether the songs were part of the countdown, or if they were "A.T. 20 Extras." I also liked hearing the "long distance dedications".

Yeah there's an LA station that I get that plays him in the morning on my way to work...7am PST

Which morning is that? And on what station?

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/07 at 10:57 am

I was an avid listener of his "American Top 20" countdown show from 1995 until March 1997. Every Sunday night, his show would air on KBIG (104.3 FM in Los Angeles) and I would just about listen to it every week until the station stopped carrying his show, in March of '97. They eventually brought it back, but by then I only listened periodically.

His programs were lotsa fun to listen to. He often gave very interesting information about the songs and/or artists, whether the songs were part of the countdown, or if they were "A.T. 20 Extras." I also liked hearing the "long distance dedications".

Which morning is that? And on what station?

sunday mornings.... krth I think.  101.1 

Written By: nally on 12/25/07 at 5:29 pm

sunday mornings.... krth I think.  101.1 

KRTH is an oldies station; I doubt that he would be on there. I know that station has played Beatles music on Sunday mornings for a number of years now.

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/07 at 5:44 pm

KRTH is an oldies station; I doubt that he would be on there. I know that station has played Beatles music on Sunday mornings for a number of years now.

If it wasn't KRTH then it was KBIG now going by MYFM... 104.3  those are the only two LA stations I can hear in Santa Barbara.. maybe 92.3 but that's R&B so that's not it...

Written By: nally on 12/25/07 at 9:53 pm

If it wasn't KRTH then it was KBIG now going by MYFM... 104.3  those are the only two LA stations I can hear in Santa Barbara.. maybe 92.3 but that's R&B so that's not it...

Yes, 104.3 is now known as "MY FM"; it swapped formats almost 100 days ago, but it still has the same call sign, KBIG. Last time I was in Santa Barbara I think I was able to pick up a couple other L.A. stations. I'll have to find out when he's on...but thanks for your help! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/smiley.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/07 at 10:02 pm

As good a time as any for Negativland and U2, The Forbidden Single, after they got their hands on some Casey Kasem outtakes, and before the lawsuits...

"Now, we're up to our long-distance dedication.  And this one is about kids, and pets, and a situation that we can all understand, whether we have kids, or pets, or neither..."

(If you don't get the reference, download both tracks, and revel in the glorious white-hot rage of of Casey Kasem losing it...)

The re-released it as "These Guys are from England and Who Gives a Sh*t!"

As a weekly ATF listener in childhood, that Casey flip-out is particularly hilarious!
;D

"We come out of a slow record and I gotta talk about a f**kin' dog dying!  F**K Snuggles!"

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/07 at 11:54 pm

Yes, 104.3 is now known as "MY FM"; it swapped formats almost 100 days ago, but it still has the same call sign, KBIG. Last time I was in Santa Barbara I think I was able to pick up a couple other L.A. stations. I'll have to find out when he's on...but thanks for your help! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/santa/smiley.gif

no prob Jeff. I know its sundays cuz the on my drive to work I'm frantically looking for something to listen to... I always end up alternating between John Tesh & Casey ...fortunately its only a 20 minute drive.

Written By: nally on 12/26/07 at 1:25 am

no prob Jeff. I know its sundays cuz the on my drive to work I'm frantically looking for something to listen to... I always end up alternating between John Tesh & Casey ...fortunately its only a 20 minute drive.

Yeah, his show has aired on Sundays for the past several years out here. Like I said above, KBIG aired it on Sunday nights from 1995 through early 1997, and then after it came back, it aired on Sunday mornings. I've listened to Tesh from time to time as well.

Written By: nally on 07/08/09 at 6:52 pm

Did you know that he has just retired from his weekly countdown shows? Yep, he gave his last broadcast this past weekend, according to what I read in the newspaper.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/08/09 at 8:06 pm

I heard that, too.

They still replay his shows on the local Jack affiliate.  On Saturday they play one from the 80's and on Sunday they play one from the 70's.  It is cool. 8)

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/09/09 at 6:28 am

Did you know that he has just retired from his weekly countdown shows? Yep, he gave his last broadcast this past weekend, according to what I read in the newspaper.

Actually, his last show was in 1988. My adult contemporary (classic hits of the weekend) station plays a countdown from the '70s every Sunday Morning, and my Jack FM (all '80s on the weekends) plays a countdown from the '80s every Sunday evening. I've REALLY made it a part of life over the past year and a half. The countdowns really take you back to that particular year, with lots of chart facts like Mr. Kasem's reading the latest issue of Billboard magazine. There were also some special weeks (like best artists of the '80s) broadcast. He's semi-retired now and still occasionally does a promo segment or two. It's also found on Sirius XM 70s on 7 or 80s on 8 on weekends. I mostly listen for the songs that missed the Top 10, standard radio fare, as well as even some big hits that infrequently are found in regular radio rotation.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/09/09 at 9:59 pm

Actually, his last show was in 1988. My adult contemporary (classic hits of the weekend) station plays a countdown from the '70s every Sunday Morning, and my Jack FM (all '80s on the weekends) plays a countdown from the '80s every Sunday evening. I've REALLY made it a part of life over the past year and a half. The countdowns really take you back to that particular year, with lots of chart facts like Mr. Kasem's reading the latest issue of Billboard magazine. There were also some special weeks (like best artists of the '80s) broadcast. He's semi-retired now and still occasionally does a promo segment or two. It's also found on Sirius XM 70s on 7 or 80s on 8 on weekends. I mostly listen for the songs that missed the Top 10, standard radio fare, as well as even some big hits that infrequently are found in regular radio rotation.

No it wasn't.  He came back and just retired last week.

http://radiofacts.com/2009/07/05/casey-casem-retires-at-77/

The news came as a shock to Casey Kasem’s fans (are they still alive?) “We began the weekend of July 4, 1970, and after 39 years this will be our final countdown,” Kasem said matter-of-factly on his “American Top 20″ radio show over the weekend. And so, with no hoopla and hardly any advance notice, the 77-year-old broadcasting legend counted down the hits one last time, quietly pulling the plug on a weekly ritual for his legion of loyal listeners.

It is, in many ways, the end of an era Kasem was the last of the big-time DJs, a legacy that includes Alan Freed and Wolfman Jack, personalities who brought music to Americans when radio was king.

“Casey Kasem … Dick Clark … I really felt like these guys were a part of my family. You get this connection when you’re listening to them or when you’re watching them,” said Ryan Seacrest, who took the mic as host of Kasem’s signature “American Top 40″ show five years ago  (now that’s what you call kissing legendary ass). Kasem continued to host two spinoffs, “American Top 20″ and “American Top 10.”

Written By: Womble on 07/12/09 at 1:14 pm

I wonder if his actress wife Jean retired also. I haven't seen her in anything for a long time.

Check for new replies or respond here...