» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 104 year old singer returns to stage

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:07 pm

From BBC News Online
A 104-year-old Dutch cabaret singer who once performed in Nazi Germany has given a concert in the Netherlands for the first time in four decades.

There were protests and tight security around the theatre in Amersfoort where Johannes Heesters appeared.

Although Heesters insists he never espoused Nazi politics, he performed for Adolf Hitler and visited the Dachau concentration camp.

Correspondents say many Dutch people have never forgiven him.

"He kept singing for the Nazi regime, for the Wehrmacht, and he earned millions," said Piet Schouten, representative of a committee formed to protest against Saturday's performance.

"We have a problem with that on behalf of all the victims," he told national broadcaster NOS.

Johannes Heesters, born Johan, began his career in Amsterdam in the 1920s and moved to Germany in 1935, where he enjoyed a successful career.

Heesters was never accused of being a Nazi propagandist, and the Allies allowed him to continue performing after the war.

He was booed off the stage in Amsterdam when he previously tried to stage a comeback in the early 1960s.

Since then he has performed in other countries, notably Germany and Austria.

Subject: Re: 104 year old singer returns to stage

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:26 pm

See also: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Johan Heesters?, a thread that I started two months ago. ;)

I can understand why people (still) protest against Mr Heesters, but on the other hand I also feel like letting bygones be bygones.
Of course, what Mr Heesters has done wasn't completely politically correct, but it's not like he comitted serious war crimes either.

BTW: his performance turned out to be better than many (esp. critics) expected.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:29 pm

See also: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Johan Heesters?, a thread that I started two months ago. ;)

I can understand why people (still) protest against Mr Heesters, but on the other hand I also feel like letting bygones be bygones.
Of course, what Mr Heesters has done wasn't completely politically correct, but it's not like he comitted serious war crimes either.

Sorry for being late.

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:35 pm

Sorry for being late.

That's okay...I'm glad this got your attention anyway.

Here's a link to a newspaper article (in Dutch) with a video that shows interviews and a small segment of the show of Mr Heesters.

Written By: Paul on 02/17/08 at 12:37 pm

So he finally did it, then...

There'll always be the last few who'll want to disrupt proceedings (whether rightly or wrongly)...

For some folks, that's excuse enough!

Managing any kind of performance at 104 would confound most critics!  ;)

(Bruce Forsyth take note!)

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:41 pm

I've also found a few YouTube videos of his performance...here's two of them:

Mann Musste Klavier Spielen Können (One oughta be able to play the piano)

O Vaterland (O Fatherland)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:43 pm

That's okay...I'm glad this got your attention anyway.

Here's a link to a newspaper article (in Dutch) with a video that shows interviews and a small segment of the show of Mr Heesters.
Any chance of a translation?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:45 pm

Managing any kind of performance at 104 would confound most critics!  ;)

Brucie seems to struggle on that dancing programme.

Written By: Paul on 02/17/08 at 12:46 pm

I've also found a YouTube video of his performance...

I notice one or two 'protesters' have left comments!

The only other person I can think of who's still performing like this would be US singer Tony Martin...a mere spring chicken in comparison at 96!

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:48 pm

Any chance of a translation?

The article, or the video? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:50 pm

The article, or the video? ???
The article please.

I did try to copy and paste, but the high-lighting does not work properly on that website.

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:54 pm

I notice one or two 'protesters' have left comments!

The only other person I can think of who's still performing like this would be US singer Tony Martin...a mere spring chicken in comparison at 96!

According to AMG, Tony Martin was born December 25, 1913. That would make him "only" 94. ::)

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 12:54 pm

The article please.

I did try to copy and paste, but the high-lighting does not work properly on that website.

I'll see what I can do. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 12:57 pm

For the record, Brucie was born on February 22nd 1928, he will be 80 next Friday.

Written By: Paul on 02/17/08 at 12:58 pm

According to AMG, Tony Martin was born December 25, 1913. That would make him "only" 94. ::)

Tsk! My maths again... :-[

According to wiki, he's 95 (December 25, 1912)...so one of us must be right!

Let's just say, approximately mid-90s!  ;)

Written By: Paul on 02/17/08 at 12:59 pm

For the record, Brucie was born on February 22nd 1928, he will be 80 next Friday.

His jokes, however, are several centuries older!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 1:00 pm

Tsk! My maths again... :-[

According to wiki, he's 95 (December 25, 1912)...so one of us must be right!

Let's just say, approximately mid-90s!  ;)
You must be right, you know how accurate wiki can be?

Written By: Paul on 02/17/08 at 1:04 pm

You must be right, you know how accurate wiki can be?

In some cases, it can de dubious...like my math!

I double-checked with a reference book...it was 1912!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 1:05 pm

In some cases, it can de dubious...like my math!

I double-checked with a reference book...it was 1912!
Takling of wiki, did you hear  the great story from the late satirist Alan Coren?

Written By: Henk on 02/17/08 at 1:43 pm

I'll see what I can do. :)

And here it is:

AMERSFOORT - The much discussed performance by Johannes Heesters in the Amersfoort theatre "De Flint" has passed without any incidents. The audience embraced the city's prodigal son with curtain calls and standing ovations.

Inside the building, not a jarring was heard, even though the performance started half an hour late because of the strict security measures.
Johannes Heesters (104), accompanied by his wife Simone Rethel and his permanent accompanist Uli Kofler on piano, sang ten songs from various movies and light opera, his voice remarkably ferm (sp?) for a man his age.
Inbetween songs, Simone thumbed through the pages of Mr Heesters' life with a Powerpoint presentation.
Afterwards Mr Heesters addressed the press. The world's oldest living performing entertainer told the press he had thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the crowd. "Wunderbar, I'll never forget this. I'll take these memories home."
He had never feared any demonstrations. "It has never crossed my mind and I focused entirely on what I came to Amersfoort for."
"De Flint" director Pieter Erkelens showed signs of relief afterwards. "I've never been really nervous the past few weeks, but stil... If everything goes according to plan, that's a relief, yes. The audience were enjoying themselves visibly, they even were moved at times - quite understandable, when you realise there's a man of 104 years old singing with a tremendous voice. Mr Heesters is a phenomenon and I'm very proud of having him perform here."

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 1:46 pm

And here it is:

AMERSFOORT - The much discussed performance by Johannes Heesters in the Amersfoort theatre "De Flint" has passed without any incidents. The audience embraced the city's prodigal son with curtain calls and standing ovations.

Inside the building, not a jarring was heard, even though the performance started half an hour late because of the strict security measures.
Johannes Heesters (104), accompanied by his wife Simone Rethel and his permanent accompanist Uli Kofler on piano, sang ten songs from various movies and light opera, his voice remarkably ferm (sp?) for a man his age.
Inbetween songs, Simone thumbed through the pages of Mr Heesters' life with a Powerpoint presentation.
Afterwards Mr Heesters addressed the press. The world's oldest living performing entertainer told the press he had thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the crowd. "Wunderbar, I'll never forget this. I'll take these memories home."
He had never feared any demonstrations. "It has never crossed my mind and I focused entirely on what I came to Amersfoort for."
"De Flint" director Pieter Erkelens showed signs of relief afterwards. "I've never been really nervous the past few weeks, but stil... If everything goes according to plan, that's a relief, yes. The audience were enjoying themselves visibly, they even were moved at times - quite understandable, when you realise there's a man of 104 years old singing with a tremendous voice. Mr Heesters is a phenomenon and I'm very proud of having him perform here."
Thank you very much indeed. It sounds like a tremendous occasion.

Written By: Henk on 03/29/09 at 9:31 am

Johan Heesters, who turned 105 in December 2008, is still performing. :o

From June 11 to July 24, he will be playing the part of God in "Jedermann" (Everyman), a play by Hugo von Hofmannsthal, to be performed in the city of Stuttgart. Heesters played the same part in an open air venue in 2004.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/09 at 11:21 am

Johan Heesters, who turned 105 in December 2008, is still performing. :o

From June 11 to July 24, he will be playing the part of God in "Jedermann" (Everyman), a play by Hugo von Hofmannsthal, to be performed in the city of Stuttgart. Heesters played the same part in an open air venue in 2004.

What a true stager, with no hint of retirement!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 2:52 pm

Sounds like something from a Mel Brooks movie!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...