» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Keeping the cap on a beverage began with Snapple in the 90s.

Written By: KKay on 03/05/08 at 8:26 am

It was not until people decided Snapple was better than water (at least in NYC) that the phenomenon began...keeping the cap on the beverage, sipping, then putting the cap back.  We used to just buy a soda, open it, toss the cap (in the70s, into the streets) and drink.  Think back now.  You have a bottle of water, as you are required to do in the 2000s.  You ALWAYS keep the cap...screw, unscrew...
do you remember when you began doing that?

I bet if you're born 1985 and later you don't remember things being any other way.

Subject: Re: Keeping the cap on a beverage began with Snapple in the 90s.

Written By: La Roche on 03/05/08 at 8:51 am

It was not until people decided Snapple was better than water (at least in NYC) that the phenomenon began...keeping the cap on the beverage, sipping, then putting the cap back.  We used to just buy a soda, open it, toss the cap (in the70s, into the streets) and drink.  Think back now.  You have a bottle of water, as you are required to do in the 2000s.  You ALWAYS keep the cap...screw, unscrew...

I bet if you're born 1985 and later you don't remember things being any other way.

This must be a regional thing.

First of all, here in the mid-west, depression has pretty much taken hold of the region and water is the last thing any of us are drinking and secondly, no, you throw the cap away, what are you gonna do, hold it whilst you walk around? What's the point of that right?

Written By: KKay on 03/05/08 at 3:14 pm

This must be a regional thing.

First of all, here in the mid-west, depression has pretty much taken hold of the region and water is the last thing any of us are drinking and secondly, no, you throw the cap away, what are you gonna do, hold it whilst you walk around? What's the point of that right?

it's exactly what people do. you can see it on tv and commercials...I am trying to break the habit.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/08 at 12:26 am

it's exactly what people do. you can see it on tv and commercials...I am trying to break the habit.

I will have to pay attention, I've never noticed anybody holding on to the cap but then again, it never occurred to me so I wouldn't pay attention.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/08 at 1:40 am

This theory could be right. I was born in 1987, and I've been keeping the caps on my bottled drinks for years :D

Written By: KKay on 03/06/08 at 7:30 am

See?!  And once the whole bottled water thing took off, which i consider to be a recent thing, people always sipped, then put the cap back on.

Written By: ninny on 03/06/08 at 9:21 am

I was born in 1960 and if I had a bottle of pop when I was a teenager,I didn't toss the cap,if your not going to drink it all at once, you ned it or it will lose its fizz.....and I almost forgot I love Snapple :)

Written By: gemini on 03/06/08 at 3:58 pm

Born in '61 and always threw the cap away. You couldn't really put it back on, because they didn't have screw on caps back then. By the time you took it off with the bottle opener, it was all bent up. But, I keep my cap now. I never really thought about it before now.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 03/06/08 at 6:25 pm

Born in '61 and always threw the cap away. You couldn't really put it back on, because they didn't have screw on caps back then. By the time you took it off with the bottle opener, it was all bent up. But, I keep my cap now. I never really thought about it before now.  :)

Every store had a bottle opener bolted on the end of the counter so you could open the bottle before you left the store.  ;D

I think the keeping the cap thing was when the plastic bottles started coming out. Prior to the mid 80's all soda bottles
were made of glass. Even if the bottle had a twist off cap it still resembled the old tin bottle caps, kind of like the ones on
a beer bottle so putting them back on was impractical and almost impossible.

Written By: gemini on 03/07/08 at 6:55 pm

Every store had a bottle opener bolted on the end of the counter so you could open the bottle before you left the store.  ;D

Yep, or a bottle machine with a bottle opener, like this one.

http://www.costumecostumecostume.com/1coke1.jpg

Written By: Tam on 03/07/08 at 6:59 pm

Born in '71, most of the soda's were metal caps.
I never kept the lids until College - circa 90
Minute Maid came out with glass bottles with twist tops - and I used to always have a mountain berry apple minute maid iced tea with me in class. Thus the need for the lid. This is when I remember keeping lids.

QUestion: we keep the caps now for soda's and water, but why don't we keep the lids for bottles of beer and vodka coolers etc? ;D

Written By: KKay on 03/08/08 at 6:03 pm

and when was the last time you chose to have a beverage that came from a can?  I would pick a diet coke in a bottle...and replaceing the cap.

oh...of course, this does not apply to metal caps (I.E. beer).  if it screws on and off and is plastic, it's a keeper.

i was born in '65.  i remember great glass bottles..small ones. and that's not the cap I'm discussing...but it's the reasong this action stsands out to me.

great comments, everyone.

Written By: Davester on 03/08/08 at 6:14 pm

Yep.  Take the cap off and drop it on the deck immediately.  Unconsciously, really.  The mentality was that the beverage was going to be consumed over a period of minutes (or chugging it in seconds) not hours or even the next day...

I don't remember when I started sipping 'n capping, but I do it all the time, now.  I even put the cap back on the empty container before tossing it into the recycle...

Written By: KKay on 03/08/08 at 6:45 pm

Yep.  Take the cap off and drop it on the deck immediately.  Unconsciously, really.  The mentality was that the beverage was going to be consumed over a period of minutes (or chugging it in seconds) not hours or even the next day...

I don't remember when I started sipping 'n capping, but I do it all the time, now.  I even put the cap back on the empty container before tossing it into the recycle...

me too.  it's pretty funny..
the whole reason i began with this whole thread was the stupid match.com (or something) ad I get before I log into myspace.  a not-that-well -groomed man is watching the computer and capping and re-capping some OJ.  sure, it's the big refridgerator bottle, but he's doing it and it made me start a thread.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/09/08 at 3:13 pm

I was born in 1976 and I kept the cap for my bottled sodas. If I wasn't finished, I needed the cap. So, it didn't take Snapple for this situation to occur. I think it's regional because in Philly we had caps for our sodas in the 80s.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/09/08 at 4:05 pm

I don't recall when I first starting putting the cap back on, but I do remember when Snapple first came on the scene, Howard Stern was advertising it on his E tv show and I thought "what the heck kind of name for a drink is that? little did I know it would become so popular. 
cola/soft drink companies started making individual sodas in plastic pop bottles and that's the best invention for soft drinks because if you don't finish a can, you can't save it, but we've all tried, haven't we? put some foil over the top or just put the half drank can in the fridge and then knock it over and spill it  :-[ 

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 2:06 am

I remember a few years ago my father complaining about how I did that. The problem with pop is that unless you gulp it down in a minute or two it starts to go flat.

Written By: Lindee on 03/14/08 at 1:54 pm

I don't recall when I first starting putting the cap back on, but I do remember when Snapple first came on the scene, Howard Stern was advertising it on his E tv show and I thought "what the heck kind of name for a drink is that? little did I know it would become so popular. 
cola/soft drink companies started making individual sodas in plastic pop bottles and that's the best invention for soft drinks because if you don't finish a can, you can't save it, but we've all tried, haven't we? put some foil over the top or just put the half drank can in the fridge and then knock it over and spill it  :-[   

The first time I heard about Snapple was also on Howards Sterns' TV show. He had a show on in 1987 but it wasn't on E. I don't remember what channel it was on.

Written By: KKay on 03/17/08 at 1:30 pm

sure..you keep it if  you're not finished, saving it for later.
but we do it sip by sip now.
weird.

i never thought anyone would reply tot his thread.
i'm fascinated.

Check for new replies or respond here...