» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Who is Sir Humphrey Handbag?

Written By: Mudbug on 03/25/08 at 3:44 pm

It's Sir Elton John's birthday today!

So, 10 things you didn’t know about - Elton John

More at http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Elton John started his career in 1964, as a weekend pub pianist at the Northwood Hills Hotel for £1 a night.

Elton John played piano on The Hollies hit 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother'.

Elton once auditioned for prog-rock bands King Crimson and Gentle Giant - he was rejected.

He changed his name by Deed poll in 1972 from Reginald Dwight to Elton Hercules John.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' under the pseudonyms Ann Orson and Carte Blanche.

In 1975, Rev Charles Boykin of Tallahassee, Florida organised the burning of Elton John and Rolling Stones records, claiming they were sinful. Boykin was reacting to the results from a survey that said, 984 of the 1,000 local unmarried mothers had sex when listening to rock music.

In 1976, Elton was immortalised in wax at Madame Tussauds in London. The first rock star to be so since The Beatles.

In 1977, after Jimmy Helms pulled out of a gig at Shoreditch College, the members of the social committee decided to call upon famous local, Elton John who lived up the road and ask if he would perform. Elton did the gig for two bottles of wine.

Some of the aliases Sir Elton John has used checking into hotels include, Prince Fooboo, Sir Humphrey Handbag, Lillian Lollipop, Lord Choc Ice, Lord Elpus, Binky Poodleclip and Sir Henry Poodle.

Elton John’s official nickname is Rocket Man - taken from his second hit single - but Rod Stewart calls him Sharon.

Subject: Re: Who is Sir Humphrey Handbag?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/08 at 2:47 am

1971 Elton John played piano for T Rex on Top of the Pops

It is a bit of a ropy recording Get It On on YouTube

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/08 at 3:02 am

Sir Elton played piano at the MTV Music Awards in 1992 for the live performance of Guns N Roses "November Rain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLoQteiJNOU

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/26/08 at 3:03 am

It's Sir Elton John's birthday today!

So, 10 things you didn’t know about - Elton John

More at http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Elton John started his career in 1964, as a weekend pub pianist at the Northwood Hills Hotel for £1 a night.

Elton once auditioned for prog-rock bands King Crimson and Gentle Giant - he was rejected.

He changed his name by Deed poll in 1972 from Reginald Dwight to Elton Hercules John.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' under the pseudonyms Ann Orson and Carte Blanche.

In 1975, Rev Charles Boykin of Tallahassee, Florida organised the burning of Elton John and Rolling Stones records, claiming they were sinful. Boykin was reacting to the results from a survey that said, 984 of the 1,000 local unmarried mothers had sex when listening to rock music.

In 1976, Elton was immortalised in wax at Madame Tussauds in London. The first rock star to be so since The Beatles.

In 1977, after Jimmy Helms pulled out of a gig at Shoreditch College, the members of the social committee decided to call upon famous local, Elton John who lived up the road and ask if he would perform. Elton did the gig for two bottles of wine.

Some of the aliases Sir Elton John has used checking into hotels include, Prince Fooboo, Sir Humphrey Handbag, Lillian Lollipop, Lord Choc Ice, Lord Elpus, Binky Poodleclip and Sir Henry Poodle.

Elton John’s official nickname is Rocket Man - taken from his second hit single - but Rod Stewart calls him Sharon.

Hmmph !  >:(

Knew that ! ^

Make that NINE things I didn't know !    :P  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/08 at 3:05 am

Elton Hercules John is now his offical name, I have seen in the Electoral Roll.

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/26/08 at 3:10 am

Well I also knew he was born Reginald Dwight ... and his stage name is Elton Hercules John .... but not the deed poll bit/ or that it's his actual real  name now !

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/08 at 3:12 am

Elton John's uncle, Roy Dwight was a footballer, who had a memorable 1959 F.A. Cup Final. He scored a goal for Nottingham Forest and was then was carried off with a broken leg!

Check for new replies or respond here...