» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 38 Planned Movie Remakes You Didn't Know About

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/29/08 at 11:55 pm

38 Planned Movie Remakes You Didn't Know About

Here’s a listing of supposed upcoming remakes of famous or famously known classic and cult films in the VERY near future…

The Evil Dead
Conan The Barbarian
Logan’s Run
Death Wish
The Taking Of Pelham 123
Fahrenheit 451
Friday The 13th
Hellraiser
Tron
Clash of the Titans
Akira
The Birds
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Westworld
The Warriors
Escape From New York
Meatballs
Howard Stern’s Porky’s (yes, you read that right, Howard Stern is producing a remake of Porky’s)
Straw Dogs
The Dirty Dozen
Footloose
Dune
The Thing
Fame

More detailed info here:

Once you see who is scheduled to star in and/or produce/direct in these remakes, you'll even be further shocked.  :o

My issue is that these are almost sacred films (to me and many others). I don’t see why or how these need to be remade and do not see how they can improve on the original. Often the results from a Hollywood modern remake are dismal, I can’t really think of a successful remake of a classic movie that is both box-office and critically successful (Little Shop of Horrors maybe being an exception)...

So is Hollywood so bereft of new ideas (and so bold in the gonads) that they think they can be successful in remaking classics/cult films like these?

Most of these are not even that old yet to be considered for an update, so what gives?

I, for one, am not happy, and would hope we could somehow pass a law banning studios from making remakes to these. >:(

What do you think?

Subject: Re: 38 Planned Movie Remakes You Didn't Know About

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/30/08 at 12:11 am

Here’s a listing of supposed upcoming remakes of famous or famously known classic and cult films in the VERY near future…

Conan The Barbarian

Death Wish
Tron
Clash of the Titans
The Birds
Westworld
The Warriors
Escape From New York
Meatballs
Howard Stern’s Porky’s (yes, you read that right, Howard Stern is producing a remake of Porky’s)
Straw Dogs
The Dirty Dozen
Footloose
Dune
The Thing
Fame

More detailed info here:

Once you see who is scheduled to star in and/or produce/direct in these remakes, you'll even be further shocked.  :o

My issue is that these are almost sacred films (to me and many others). I don’t see why or how these need to be remade and do not see how they can improve on the original. Often the results from a Hollywood modern remake are dismal, I can’t really think of a successful remake of a classic movie that is both box-office and critically successful (Little Shop of Horrors maybe being an exception)...

So is Hollywood so bereft of new ideas (and so bold in the gonads) that they think they can be successful in remaking classics/cult films like these?

Most of these are not even that old yet to be considered for an update, so what gives?

I, for one, am not happy, and would hope we could somehow pass a law banning studios from making remakes to these. >:(

What do you think?

I agree with you that some of these do not need to be remade, and the originals are excellent, but it's usually all about making money. Now it's possible that a remake of even the most sacred films could be done and perhaps be made well. we'll have to wait and see.

the ones I left on the list are the ones I would be interested in

Subject: Re: 38 Planned Movie Remakes You Didn't Know About

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/08 at 12:43 am

HERE'S MY TAKE:

Straw Dogs
I  found the original boring so here's hoping they make it more intense

I'M ALL FOR IT BECAUSE IT WILL PROBABLY GARNER BETTER SPECIAL EFFECTS

Conan The Barbarian
Logan’s Run
Tron
Clash of the Titans
The Birds

NO OPINION B/C I DIDN'T SEE THE ORIGINAL

The Evil Dead
Hellraiser
Dune
Akira

WHAT'S TO CHANGE?

Death Wish
Friday The 13th ~ although after watching Halloween I'm a little more open to it.
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Footloose

MIGHT BE GOOD IF HANDLED CORRECTLY
The Thing
The Taking Of Pelham 123
Fahrenheit 451
Escape From New York

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westworld
The Warriors
Fame
The Dirty Dozen
SHORT CIRCUIT (not listed)

A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!

Meatballs

I also saw Knight Rider on the full list.... after watching the crappy TV movie I want someone to make it and do it right...and leave the Hoff at home.

They left off Tia's beloved Escape from Witch Mountain...

Check for new replies or respond here...