» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anyone Still Clinging to Vinyl..?

Written By: Davester on 04/14/08 at 1:47 am

I'm pretty sure Midas and maybe Dog have vinyl, but anyone else..?

I'm starting to get hooked again.  Two years ago I bought a Crosley Stack-O-Matic turntable but now I'm in the market for something better.  I just received my eBay purchase which is a vintage Pioneer SX-750 (circa 1976), virgin and still in original box.  Man, those things were built to last!  That joker weighs about 30 pounds, no sh*t!  I'm currently looking for a new turntable and might go with a reasonably priced AudioTechnica direct drive, but I still haven't decided.  Oh yeah, I still need speakers...

I have a very modest record collection consisting of:

Red Octopus ~ Jefferson Starship
  Remain in Light ~ Talking Heads
  Minute by Minute ~ The Doobie Brothers
  Daydream Nation ~ Sonic Youth
  Crocodiles ~ Echo and the Bunnymen
  Grease Soundtrack
  A New World Record ~ ELO
  The Best of Bread ~ Bread
  Back in Black ~ AC/DC
  Christopher Cross ~ Christopher Cross
  King Cool ~ Donnie Iris
  Wolf Creek Pass ~ CW McCall
  Black Bear Road ~ CW McCall
  American Idiot ~ Green Day
  Star Wars Soundtrack ~ John Williams
  Live at the Regal 1964 ~ BB King
  90125 ~ Yes
  Love Trippin' ~ The Spinners
  Dancin' and Lovin' ~ The Spinners
  Electric Warrior ~ T. Rex
  American Hardcore (1980-1986) Soundtrack
  Superman: The Movie Soundtrack ~ John Williams
  Brothers in Arms ~ Dire Straits
  Bump City ~ Tower of Power
  All 4 KISS solo albums (Ace, Gene, Peter, Paul)
  Paul's Boutique ~ The Beastie Boys

I bought every single one of the above records still sealed and unplayed on the cheap!  Also, I can count, on my fingers, the number of skips on them.  So, not many.  Thank you eBay, Musicstack and Alibris..! 8)

I love the warm, rich sound of vinyl, listening to the record player's *clicks* as it's working and the occasional *pop* as the record is playing (and especially the *pop* when needle first touches vinyl).  Heavenly...

So, who still keeps the platters spinnin'..? ???

Subject: Re: Anyone Still Clinging to Vinyl..?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 5:08 am

I still have my old vinyl records and I am still clinging onto them even though I do not have a record player, I wonder how much the collection is worth.

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 7:39 am

When we moved out to America we put our vinyl and our stereo in storage.  We still played some of the records and are fairly sure that when we get back to the UK we won't be able to buy a turntable any more.

Written By: KKay on 04/14/08 at 7:41 am

it's the main reason we ever got married...

to go to record fairs together; and to proudly boast that, instead of  a measley hundred each, we cnould have a house with over 2000 records, and the collection grows.  (inlucdes 78, 45 and 33 sizes)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/14/08 at 8:31 am

I have my brother's 45's.  People keep telling me they're worth a fortune.  Money isn't everything . . .good music is.  I'm never selling them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 8:38 am

I have my brother's 45's.  People keep telling me they're worth a fortune.  Money isn't everything . . .good music is.  I'm never selling them.
The money is only good in the right market.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/14/08 at 8:41 am

The money is only good in the right market.

Right, but those records mean more to me than any cash.

Written By: KKay on 04/14/08 at 8:42 am

and in all actuality; if you go to a record fair, things are not that expensive.  rare albums don't bring in hundreds anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 8:42 am

Right, but those records mean more to me than any cash.
When you do not have a record player what else can be done?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 8:44 am

and in all actuality; if you go to a record fair, things are not that expensive.  rare albums don't bring in hundreds anymore.

On eBay yesterday, someone was selling for auction a First Pressing of the Beatles album Please Please Me, the offering price was £300 and it received no bidders.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/14/08 at 8:45 am

You do have a point.  I have one of my Dad's Hi Fi players.  8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/14/08 at 8:46 am

On eBay yesterday, someone was selling for auction a First Pressing of the Beatles album Please Please Me, the offering price was £300 and it received no bidders.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

Written By: Gis on 04/14/08 at 10:30 am

I used to have over 800 albums, I've got it down to around 250 which i still listen to every now and then. Some have such good memories attached I could never part with them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 11:32 am

I can cannot take them with me, I have the memories, I can hear the through others means, and the money will come in handy.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/08 at 11:39 am

a have a rather large album collection of musicals. Sadly, I don't have a record player to play them on though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 11:40 am

Come to think of it, what are the chances of buying a record player now?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/14/08 at 11:41 am

So, who still keeps the platters spinnin'..? ???

I do!  I have hundreds of LPs, hundreds of 45s and I still play them (yes I have a turntable).

I'm slowly trying to get those I play the most converted to a digital format - but that's for convenience, not sound.

I plan to hang on to my vinyl   :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/08 at 11:41 am

It's not as easy as it used to be.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 11:42 am

It's not as easy as it used to be.
...and the purchase of the stylus?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/14/08 at 12:28 pm

I still have albums and a turntable.  I only ever listen to the albums that have not been released in cd format (except for Iron Maiden's Killers.  I bought the cd, but got so used to singing along with all the skips that I can't listen to a clean copy  ;D)

Written By: woops on 04/14/08 at 12:54 pm

I collect vinyl  8) :D

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 1:51 pm

You can buy a turntable that plugs into the  ???  :( forgotten the name socket on your computer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 1:54 pm

You can buy a turntable that plugs into the  ???  :( forgotten the name socket on your computer.
Can you, and it store records the music into your hard drive.

...but you still need a supply of styli

Written By: Paul on 04/14/08 at 2:07 pm

USB socket (I think)...

I gather the thing also comes with software which claims to erase the pops and clicks out of the vinyl (not very well, I shouldn't think...I've tried a few of these things!)

...but you still need a supply of styli

Stylii (and turntables, for that matter) aren't that hard to come by...

The electrical retailer Maplin has an extensive collection (albeit only on mail-order...)

Written By: Davester on 04/14/08 at 2:19 pm

Wow, all you old fogies still have vinyl?  Cool..!

Philip, here's an example of what you're talking about...

Audio Technica AT-LP2DUSB LP-to-Digital Recording System with USB

This is just an example of what's available for converting LP to digital.  Something similar must be available in the UK...

Since I have the Pioneer receiver, I'm looking at this turntable: Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

Vinyl is becoming popular once again, but it's still a small niche, as far as I can tell.  I love visiting the antique store (What's On 2nd Antiques) in town and flipping through their extensive vinyl selection...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 3:20 pm

Wow, all you old fogies still have vinyl?  Cool..!

Philip, here's an example of what you're talking about...

Audio Technica AT-LP2DUSB LP-to-Digital Recording System with USB

This is just an example of what's available for converting LP to digital.  Something similar must be available in the UK...

Since I have the Pioneer receiver, I'm looking at this turntable: Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

Vinyl is becoming popular once again, but it's still a small niche, as far as I can tell.  I love visiting the antique store (What's On 2nd Antiques) in town and flipping through their extensive vinyl selection...
I will PC World are Argos

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 3:45 pm

USB socket (I think)...

I gather the thing also comes with software which claims to erase the pops and clicks out of the vinyl (not very well, I shouldn't think...I've tried a few of these things!)

USB that's what I was trying to recall!

I saw something available at www.iwantoneofthose.com but they only seem to have a USB cassette deck available now.  I did however see this a portable turntable.

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/08 at 3:51 pm

I have some records left.... a couple of beatles albums I bought in the 80s....not worth much I don't think I just keep them just in case. 
Some Billie Holiday. 

I have most of my 45s because I feel the 45s defined me in the 80s. 

Most of my LPs are soundtracks and Janet Jackson of course. I also keep my well worn copy of Off the Wall.

Philip. You can actually find record players quite easily.  A search on Amazon yielded 3 pages of results...type in record player needle and you can find those as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-8214518-3293561?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=turntable&x=0&y=0

I bought one of those USB record players and was able to get it to copy my music but I never figured out how to transfer it to my ipod....now the stupid company has come out with an ipod compatible version... you sit your ipod in the craddle and the record can be transferred right into it.... yeah but I paid 180 for the other one it's not like I can afford to drop 220 on the newer model.

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/08 at 3:53 pm

I used to have a massive record collection, but I was pretty much just collecting anything from the 80s that I didn't have.  Now I just keep the 12" singles, the 45s, compilations and rare LPs that are hard to get on CD or cassette ...

'Sulk' - The Associates
'Greatest Hits' - Shakin' Stevens
'Carnival EP' - Duran Duran

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 4:06 pm

That must be a short list!

Written By: Paul on 04/14/08 at 4:09 pm

I did however see this a portable turntable.

It may look basic, but as it's able to hook up to your amp, it's quite a useful little thing if you've still got vinyl that you're itching to play...

Bet it 'drains' batteries in a flash!  ;)

Written By: Davester on 04/14/08 at 4:10 pm

I used to have a massive record collection, but I was pretty much just collecting anything from the 80s that I didn't have.  Now I just keep the 12" singles, the 45s, compilations and rare LPs that are hard to get on CD or cassette ...

'Sulk' - The Associates
'Carnival EP' - Duran Duran

Remember, it must have been a couple of years ago, someone posted a giant piccy of their record collection?  It was all 45s, I think...

Ktellqueen, maybe...

In other news:  I'm trying to remember the last, ever, record I bought back when records were on the way out...I think it was Van Halen ~ 5150 on 33rpm at Musicland and Ready for the World ~ Slide Over, Digital Display and Night Ranger ~ Goodbye on 45rpm at Tower...

I'm not purchasing vinyl albums that I already have on CD with the exception of Dire Straits and AC/DC.  It was easy to make the jump from vinyl to cassette to CD (and from CED to VHS to DVD) but there's no way in hell I'm going all digital while hard media is still available.  I've already dropped all pretense and sold-out when I bought a freakin' cell phone...

Written By: Gis on 04/14/08 at 4:25 pm

That must be a short list!
You'd be surprised! he had far more hits thatn you would think.....................

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 4:34 pm

You'd be surprised! he had far more hits thatn you would think.....................

It was the 'greatest' part I was thinking about.  :-\\

Written By: loki 13 on 04/14/08 at 5:40 pm

With the exception of a few albums my so called friends walked off with I still own every album I ever bought.
I also have have all my cassettes and 8-tracks as well.

As far as a turntables goes; I just bought one for The Boy a few months back, he's collecting albums, at K-Mart.
It looks like an antique turntable and it was relatively cheap...$90, it also has an AM/FM radio, cassette and CD
player, though I wouldn't recommend playing cassettes or CD's on it, it's great for for albums.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 5:41 pm

Of course, Car Boot Sales, but how can you easily test the product?

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/15/08 at 7:45 pm

I still have a lot of my old vinyl records and record player, and I still enjoy listening to them today.  :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/26/08 at 1:00 pm

;D yeah Davester this other 'old fogey' has a small collection of 45's too, maybe only 200+ but my only means of playing them is on an old American AMI 200 jukebox which is older than me (1959) but a great excuse to scour 2nd hand shops for records.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/08 at 1:26 pm

I have lots of them and Carlos has even more. I did just recently get a turntable that hooks up to the computer so I can copy them onto CD but I haven't figured out how to really do that yet. I really need to do that one of these years.  :-[

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/26/08 at 3:35 pm

My dad gave me his record player that he got new almost 40 years ago, in the early '70s I believe. He also gave me his collection of rock and roll records with AC/DC, Zeppelin, Elton John, ZZ Top, etc. to go along with it. My mom also has a fairly large collection of 45s from the '60s, '70s, and '80s.

Luckily, all the records and the record player work just fine today :)

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/26/08 at 9:45 pm

I am a total vinyl junkie!! I collect 45's (I have over 2000 from the 50's thru now) and evem sell on ebay. My 12'' are mostly whatever I have left from djing, except for the 80's. I still go 12" shopping for 80's stuff and have about 1400 of those.

VIVA LA VINYL!!

Written By: Davester on 05/27/08 at 9:31 pm

;D yeah Davester this other 'old fogey' has a small collection of 45's too, maybe only 200+ but my only means of playing them is on an old American AMI 200 jukebox which is older than me (1959) but a great excuse to scour 2nd hand shops for records.

My dad gave me his record player that he got new almost 40 years ago, in the early '70s I believe. He also gave me his collection of rock and roll records with AC/DC, Zeppelin, Elton John, ZZ Top, etc. to go along with it. My mom also has a fairly large collection of 45s from the '60s, '70s, and '80s.

Luckily, all the records and the record player work just fine today :)

I am a total vinyl junkie!! I collect 45's (I have over 2000 from the 50's thru now) and evem sell on ebay. My 12'' are mostly whatever I have left from djing, except for the 80's. I still go 12" shopping for 80's stuff and have about 1400 of those.

VIVA LA VINYL!!

Way to go, guys...

dmfan, ever heard of the British trio Girls Can't Help It?  I found an EP of theirs on ebay from 1983, and I think that EP is their only recording.  Not bad at all... 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/08 at 9:47 pm

I have a few, maybe 40 records or so and I have some 45's.  I still play them every now and then which means maybe once a month.  the last one played was the soundtrack for Xanadu

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 10:20 pm

I once had a healthy vinyl collection, but I made the consciouss decision to replace all my vinyl, which I did over a number of years.  The ones I could not replace on CD, I converted to digital format by hand.  Few of these were actually valuable on the vinyl market.  Many were early avant garde classical releases, which a few wonky dorks cared about then and a few wonky dorks care about now.  If you can get an original orignal original copy of "Freak Out" (Frank Zappa & The Mothers, 1965) in mint condition you might sell it for four figures on EBay.  On the other hand: "Milton Babbitt:  Ensembles for Synthesizers."  What?  Who?  It took me years to find that piece on a record, but the record itself only cost ten bucks at our cool used record dealership.  Most of those I donated to my radio station's archives. 

Written By: conker on 05/28/08 at 12:30 pm

I still have a few hundred LPs and tens of 45s.  I still have the equipment to to play them as well the turn table, preamp etc. 
Been slowing converting the hard to find stuff to MP3 using a box that converts analogue to digital signals built by ADS. 
Plug a set of RCA cords into it and the stereo and a USB from the box to the PC and away you go. 
The software is pretty good at cleaning up snaps and pops as well.

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/29/08 at 3:51 pm

Way to go, guys...

dmfan, ever heard of the British trio Girls Can't Help It?  I found an EP of theirs on ebay from 1983, and I think that EP is their only recording.  Not bad at all... 

It's funny that you mention them. The guy that I get most my 45's from on ebay just had listed the single from that EP. (I don't remember what it was called.) I actually haven't heard them (unless they are another one of those bands that I hear and then remember.) I will look them up tho. Sire was always good for putting out the stuff that no one else seemed to want to touch (Soft Cell, B-Movie, Specimen). Sire still is one of my favorite labels from the 80's. Even the 90's dance stuff was good. (Baby Ford!)

Written By: Davester on 05/30/08 at 12:10 am

It's funny that you mention them. The guy that I get most my 45's from on ebay just had listed the single from that EP. (I don't remember what it was called.) I actually haven't heard them (unless they are another one of those bands that I hear and then remember.) I will look them up tho. Sire was always good for putting out the stuff that no one else seemed to want to touch (Soft Cell, B-Movie, Specimen). Sire still is one of my favorite labels from the 80's. Even the 90's dance stuff was good. (Baby Ford!)

That single is most likely "Baby Doll".  Seems Girl's Can't Help It appeared, released one EP in 1983, then vanished.  Apparently, most of these EPs listed on ebay are old dj copies...

Yeah, Sire (IRS, Island) was great for releasing lower profile material, but kick ass nevertheless.  My small vinyl collection includes the Girl's EP (above), Remain In Light and the Replacement's Tim...

For your listening pleasure (and a familiar scene for you, no doubt) I humbly give you..."Baby Doll"... 8)

Written By: zacpot on 06/03/08 at 8:25 pm

Ha i still buy vinyl i'm sooo adicted to the clear crisp sound of a well looked after LP  my latest purchase was a picture record of AC/DC  "Dirty Deeds"    all the way from Germany to Tasmania  :o

Written By: dmfan420 on 06/03/08 at 10:22 pm

That single is most likely "Baby Doll".  Seems Girl's Can't Help It appeared, released one EP in 1983, then vanished.  Apparently, most of these EPs listed on ebay are old dj copies...

Yeah, Sire (IRS, Island) was great for releasing lower profile material, but kick ass nevertheless.  My small vinyl collection includes the Girl's EP (above), Remain In Light and the Replacement's Tim...

For your listening pleasure (and a familiar scene for you, no doubt) I humbly give you..."Baby Doll"... 8)

Thanks  :)

I don't think I have heard it before, but I did like it. I'm gonna have to see if I can track the 45 down now.

Written By: Davester on 06/03/08 at 10:32 pm

Thanks  :)

I don't think I have heard it before, but I did like it. I'm gonna have to see if I can track the 45 down now.

Groove on...  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/08 at 2:54 am

Until I find the best way to earn money from my vinyl collectioin, I will be clinging onto them.

Written By: snozberries on 06/15/08 at 3:25 pm

I have lots of them and Carlos has even more. I did just recently get a turntable that hooks up to the computer so I can copy them onto CD but I haven't figured out how to really do that yet. I really need to do that one of these years.  :-[

Cat

I have one of those too... and I can get the records to record to my hard drive but I haven't figured out how to convert them to MP3s and put the music on my iPod......

go figure- 6 months after I bought that stupid record player they came out with a model that has an iPod dock so you can put the music right onto the iPod.....stupid record player manufacturers  >:(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/16/08 at 4:55 pm

I have a vinyl Prince record. I bought it for the poster that came with it. Untouched since 1981. Proudly displayed now.

And my father has a bunch of BB King vinyls from the 1950s that he refuses to sell or send to the Antiques Road Show!

Written By: Midas on 06/16/08 at 10:28 pm

Wow, I totally missed this.

I'm still collecting vinyl.  I probably have well over 2,000 records.  Most of them are 12-inch singles.  I have about 100 albums, about 150 vinyl remix service compilation records, and about thirty 45's.

It's been awhile since I've purchased online - I usually scout out a U.S. vendor with a good rating on GEMM and buy a few records from them.  The Phoenix area has some used vinyl shops - ZIA Record Exchange is still in business.  Rockaway Records sold their inventory to Rockzone, now located in Chandler, and I took a trip there last month and spent $130...and I only went through about 1/4 of the store :D

Here's a pic of my collection:

http://a5.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/9/l_61b70c1ee896327c5f9d0f53aa79619c.jpg

I also have a bunch of my buddy's records in boxes in the closet; around 500 in there.

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/08 at 10:39 pm

^ That's awesome, especially those shelves to hold the records! 8)

Written By: Midas on 06/16/08 at 10:53 pm

^ That's awesome, especially those shelves to hold the records! 8)

Thanks.  And thanks to IKEA. :D

The larger shelf unit on the left has remix service and LPs on the top row.  The first shelf on the left on the second row has some 80's compilations.  The rest on that shelf unit are 80's 12-inch singles in BPM order.

On the smaller unit they kinda run together but I have 90's to current club/NRG on the first 2.5 shelves (2 Unlimited, La Bouche, Ian Van Dahl etc.), 90's to current alternative/hardcore techno (The Farm, U2, Depeche Mode, Prodigy etc.) on the next 2 and the last 2.5 shelves are 90's to current house records (Sarah Washington, Alcatraz, Madonna, Todd Terry, Junior Vasquez etc).  Again in BPM order.  Most of my records have a BPM label on the sleeve.  I started labeling them in 1989 when I had about 200 or so records.  I figure I don't plan to sell my records ever so it's all good.

BTW, has anyone ever taken a warp out of a record?  I've read some things online about placing the record between two pieces of heavy glass and leaving it out in the sun, and I don't have the glass.  I've wedged this rare Hot Tracks back issue vinyl between boxes of records (flat in between the stacked boxes) and there's no change.  I'm tempted to set something flat and heavy on it and leave it in my garage for a day to see what happens.  The outer tracks on each side skip all over the place. :P

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 11:45 pm

I beg to differ.

Just try finding mono copies of records that aren't even particularly rare, then try finding said records in good shape.

That's something that's always annoyed me as somewhat of an audiophile. A lot of albums (especially, obviously, from the 60's) were recorded in mono first with the purpose of being listened to in mono. This is what the artist wanted to put down on vinyl and thus is what I want to hear. I am quite aware that stereo provides a richer sound but regardless, when the song was written and recorded it was done so in mono and therefore I want to hear that and yet one can be forced to pay outlandish sums of money to find something.

Even for albums that have sold countless millions you'll still pay 30-40% more for the mono cut simply because more stereo cuts were sold in the first place.

I realize so much of this is me being picky, but it can still cost a lot of money to get something that isn't necessarily that rare, or to put it a better way, shouldn't be.

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/08 at 11:50 pm

The Phoenix area has some used vinyl shops - ZIA Record Exchange is still in business.

Anything like the record exchange here? Hundreds of thousands of records and 45's, more turntables, amps, speakers and other such stuff than you can shake a stick at and a floor that's not been cleaned since I last changed my sheets?

I went to Vintage Vinyl (not a favorite place due to their somewhat exuberant pricing policy) recently and picked up the 180 gram 45RPM Metallica re-issues (Well, the ones that have been released so far). They're superb, sounds fantastic, taken from the original masters and the sound is just perfect.

Written By: Midas on 06/17/08 at 12:00 am

Anything like the record exchange here? Hundreds of thousands of records and 45's, more turntables, amps, speakers and other such stuff than you can shake a stick at and a floor that's not been cleaned since I last changed my sheets?

I went to Vintage Vinyl (not a favorite place due to their somewhat exuberant pricing policy) recently and picked up the 180 gram 45RPM Metallica re-issues (Well, the ones that have been released so far). They're superb, sounds fantastic, taken from the original masters and the sound is just perfect.

ZIA is sort of like that, but there stores are now filled moreso with CDs.  Their vinyl collection isn't very large (maybe 1 wall with 4-tier bins) and it's hit or miss depending on what you're looking for.

Bill's Records in Dallas used to have EVERYTHING.  Except prices listed on their vinyl (The only one I ever found was a copy of DM's "Policy Of Truth" US 12" for $4.63).  Be prepared to be sized up at the register to determine how much you'll have to bend--er, shell out for your purchase.

Written By: Midas on 06/17/08 at 12:01 am

BTW, has anyone ever taken a warp out of a record?  I've read some things online about placing the record between two pieces of heavy glass and leaving it out in the sun, and I don't have the glass.  I've wedged this rare Hot Tracks back issue vinyl between boxes of records (flat in between the stacked boxes) and there's no change.  I'm tempted to set something flat and heavy on it and leave it in my garage for a day to see what happens.  The outer tracks on each side skip all over the place. :P

I was just informed that we have heavy 18" tile in the garage so I may experiment soon. :D

Written By: La Roche on 06/17/08 at 12:08 am

ZIA is sort of like that, but there stores are now filled moreso with CDs.  Their vinyl collection isn't very large (maybe 1 wall with 4-tier bins) and it's hit or miss depending on what you're looking for.

Bill's Records in Dallas used to have EVERYTHING.  Except prices listed on their vinyl (The only one I ever found was a copy of DM's "Policy Of Truth" US 12" for $4.63).  Be prepared to be sized up at the register to determine how much you'll have to bend--er, shell out for your purchase.

Yeah, I've found the same sort of thing. Depending on what you're buying and where you're buying it from you can either get reamed or get a deal. One of the guys at record exchange knows the set up I have and has often given me a good deal, he just points out "We've got 10 copies, at least yours will sound good!"  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/17/08 at 1:54 am

I'm not as much a fan of vinyl as the album cover art itself.  It's the perfect size and I really love some of them alot.

I bought a record player/AM/FM radio/cassette/CD player that looks like an old-timey radio from Office Max of all places.  I rarely use it though.  I think the cat lays on top of it more then I use it to play stuff.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 9:53 pm

Thanks.  And thanks to IKEA. :D

The larger shelf unit on the left has remix service and LPs on the top row.  The first shelf on the left on the second row has some 80's compilations.  The rest on that shelf unit are 80's 12-inch singles in BPM order.

On the smaller unit they kinda run together but I have 90's to current club/NRG on the first 2.5 shelves (2 Unlimited, La Bouche, Ian Van Dahl etc.), 90's to current alternative/hardcore techno (The Farm, U2, Depeche Mode, Prodigy etc.) on the next 2 and the last 2.5 shelves are 90's to current house records (Sarah Washington, Alcatraz, Madonna, Todd Terry, Junior Vasquez etc).  Again in BPM order.  Most of my records have a BPM label on the sleeve.  I started labeling them in 1989 when I had about 200 or so records.  I figure I don't plan to sell my records ever so it's all good.

You truly are better off leaving the warp alone.  The molecular structure of the plastic has changed and no countermeasure can return it to its original state.  I have albums of old electronic music and serialism I just copied onto CD-R so I wouldn't need to play the record again!  Some of them would shatter if you looked at 'em wrong. 
::)

Written By: Midas on 06/28/08 at 1:04 am

You truly are better off leaving the warp alone.  The molecular structure of the plastic has changed and no countermeasure can return it to its original state.  I have albums of old electronic music and serialism I just copied onto CD-R so I wouldn't need to play the record again!  Some of them would shatter if you looked at 'em wrong. 
::)

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't tried anything yet, except increasing tonearm weight and adjusting the anti-skate mechanism on my Technics 1200.  It will play most of the warped track without skipping, but still sounds like crap because of the sharp warp.  :P

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/28/08 at 8:48 pm

I'm not as much a fan of vinyl as the album cover art itself.  It's the perfect size and I really love some of them alot.

I bought a record player/AM/FM radio/cassette/CD player that looks like an old-timey radio from Office Max of all places.  I rarely use it though.  I think the cat lays on top of it more then I use it to play stuff.  :-\\

Hey I got me one of them thar things from Target ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/30/08 at 7:26 am

I just got me a USB turntable. we're hoping to turn some of these millions of LPs into CDs so we can get rid of a few.  there really is no room in this house for them!

Written By: Midas on 07/03/08 at 10:51 am

I just got me a USB turntable. we're hoping to turn some of these millions of LPs into CDs so we can get rid of a few.  there really is no room in this house for them!

Let me know how those ripped tracks sound as I'm curious about them, as most of the USB turntables I've seen have a belt-drive motor and I was always under the impression that they were prone to more rumble than a direct drive motor.

I use my Technics 1200MK2s and run them through a DJ mixer then into my PC and record on a program called Alive WMA MP3 Recorder.  If there are any major pops or crackles I manually clean the mp3 file using Adobe Audition.

Written By: KKay on 07/04/08 at 6:16 pm

Let me know how those ripped tracks sound as I'm curious about them, as most of the USB turntables I've seen have a belt-drive motor and I was always under the impression that they were prone to more rumble than a direct drive motor.

I use my Technics 1200MK2s and run them through a DJ mixer then into my PC and record on a program called Alive WMA MP3 Recorder.  If there are any major pops or crackles I manually clean the mp3 file using Adobe Audition.

I really didn't shop around; it was a gift and i'm sure it will serve its purpose. 

Written By: saver on 07/05/08 at 3:28 pm

Heard the story of a popular DJ in L.A. who had about 4000 records he was trying to sell..NO ONE WANTED THEM!...Eventually he told his story on a talk show and someone bought them all for a very low price..wonder what that says?  But I have heard there are people now wanting vinyl again and are looking..

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/08 at 5:51 pm

if you figure out how to make them mp3s let me know.

Written By: Davester on 07/05/08 at 5:58 pm

if you figure out how to make them mp3s let me know.

Hey, foul!  No fair cheating, heh...

Have any Johnny Cash, perchance..?

Written By: Haman on 07/06/08 at 3:35 pm

So, who still keeps the platters spinnin'..?

I do enjoy it from time to time. And yes, it feels very good.

It is more than just listening to music when one plays a vinyl, don't you think?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/06/08 at 3:38 pm

It is more than just listening to music when one plays a vinyl, don't you think?

I agree, just to listen to the pops and crackles is vunderbarr

Is one an avid collector of the above mentioned?

Written By: woops on 07/06/08 at 4:51 pm

It's still being made, though only a few. Mostly rappers, emo/alternative artists, and a few pop artists.

Recently bought The Ting Tings' "We Started Nothing" in vinyl.

Written By: Davester on 07/06/08 at 4:59 pm

It's still being made, though only a few. Mostly rappers, emo/alternative artists, and a few pop artists.

You're probably talking about new releses as opposed to re-issues...

http://www.vinyl.com/catalog/list_artists.php

Not a heck of alot, admittedly, but in pruning the orchard only the strongest remain...

Werd.  Sometime in the not too distant future, I think, the old stuff will be extinct...

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/08 at 9:20 pm

once we're all dead and gone there be a generation of people who never heard of vinyl then someone will come along and invent a "new" sound.... hell they probably had CDs back in 1888  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 11:28 pm

once we're all dead and gone there be a generation of people who never heard of vinyl then someone will come along and invent a "new" sound.... hell they probably had CDs back in 1888   ;D

A new theory suggests that the Baghdad Battery was used to power giant, prehistorical Walkmans (Walkmen?)...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/baghdad_battery.jpg

Also, according to inscriptions, the Sassanids were complaining about the younger Parthian's music as being too commercial and lacking soul...

Written By: KKay on 07/08/08 at 7:30 pm

ok. i decided that over the weekend i'm putting together a few lots of records for sale. it's not an easy decision, but ..i need the space, and i don't need all these records

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/08/08 at 8:03 pm

ok. i decided that over the weekend i'm putting together a few lots of records for sale. it's not an easy decision, but ..i need the space, and i don't need all these records
too bad you didn't have an little brother to pass them on to. that'd be cool  8)   

here's one of my favorite scenes from the movie Almost Famous where the 18 yr old older sister hands down her records to her little brother, and of course mom is against rock music, so they have to be covert. the time is 1969
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3eE0EKyaEBE
there's some good vinyl in her collection

Written By: KKay on 07/09/08 at 8:25 am

since yesterday my zeal for the project has dwindled.

i can't do it!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/08 at 8:45 am

Over the last few months I have been able to part with some CDs, but I do find it harder to part with vinyl.

Written By: KKay on 07/09/08 at 8:56 am

Over the last few months I have been able to part with some CDs, but I do find it harder to part with vinyl.

it's a lifetime collection.
painful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/08 at 9:01 am

it's a lifetime collection.
painful.
You have your memories with them, sometimes you can recall the shop where you brought the vinyl.

Written By: KKay on 07/09/08 at 12:45 pm

You have your memories with them, sometimes you can recall the shop where you brought the vinyl.

i remember the day I bought the B52s first record...and EAt to the Beat by Blondie...

I remember getting The Long Run by The Eagles, and Brain Salad Surgery by ELP...

the day, the weather,...

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/09/08 at 9:20 pm

I would not part with my vinyl, even though some of it is in very bad shape. Just the memories I can remember buying caught
Live +5 by the Moody Blues. And the comedy albums Richard Pryor and George Carlin. Better than watchin the tube.

Check for new replies or respond here...