» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: There are places I remember...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/19/08 at 4:09 pm

What places do you have fond memories of from your younger days that no longer exist?

There was a thread some while back on another section that recalled "Defunct Amusement Parks".  I recall a really fun Chicago amusement park as a youngster, called Riverview.  I went there plenty as a tyke and loved it.  It was taken down in 1967, to my great sadness.  But I have fond recollections of it to this day.  (There's a great website about it if anyone is curious - I don't recall the URL, but Google knows.)

A related topic: "places formerly used, closed for a while, and reopened as something similar"

When I was in high school, Chicago's Navy Pier was a large but little used and falling down structure that was nearing the end of its life.  Between 1979 and 1981, Chicago's mayor established a music/fun summer festival that was held there called "Chicagofest".  That fabulous festival turned out to be Navy Pier's swan song.  Navy Pier was closed shortly after that, for a significant amount of time.  It was then reopened sometime in the mid to late '80s, with a very different look and feel.  No longer the huge structure it once was, it was filled small "boutique" feel, loads of charm and character, and delightful outdoor spaces.  This "new" Navy Pier has become a major tourist attraction and a summer magnet.  Nonetheless, it's just not the same as the old Navy Pier once was.

I'm sure there are others of you who fondly remember places that aren't around any more...

Subject: Re: There are places I remember...

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/08 at 8:19 pm

A local entertainment place here that I know Tam will also remember.  It first opened it's doors in the 70s under the name '13 Acres' and towards the 90s changed it's name to 'Celebrity Sportsworld', but in the 80s, it was known as 'Studio 801'. 

It had arcade games, mini-bumper cars, jumping castles, a 5-pin bowling alley, a dance floor and a roller skating rink.  It also had outdoor mini-golf and a driving range.  Sadly as the 90s went on, the place went downhill and was eventually torn down and today it still remains an open field.  Whenever I pass by it, I can't help but be sad because I remember all the fun times I used to have there

I had such fun as a kid when I used to go there.  It's a shame today's youth can't have that same kind of fun.  That place was the best and I will never forget it :)

Written By: Gis on 04/20/08 at 9:34 am

The Marquee Club in London. The original on Wardour Street and the later one on Totenham Court Road. Happy (drunken!) memories.
The Penny Farthing pub in Oxford.
The Corn Dolly pub in Oxford.

Other places hmmm I really miss my Nan's house. It's still there but owned by someone else and extended and changed. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/08 at 9:41 am

The Marquee Club in London. The original on Wardour Street and the later one on Totenham Court Road. Happy (drunken!) memories.
The Penny Farthing pub in Oxford.
The Corn Dolly pub in Oxford.

Other places hmmm I really miss my Nan's house. It's still there but owned by someone else and extended and changed. 
...even the Hammersmith Palais has now shutdown.

Check for new replies or respond here...