» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: From respectable to trashy

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 8:05 pm

You know how, alot of the time pop culture figures who start out as controversial later kinda become accepted by the establishment, either because they get classier and mellow out, or people just get used to them with time. Lots of rock stars are like this now, even the edgier ones like Ozzy Osbourne.

What about when it goes the other way, though? Its less common, but it happens - like obviously with Jerry Springer (he himself seems classy, but people have a negative view because of his show). Can you think of any others? One unfortunate thing I've noticed is when their image changes, it also makes their more serious stuff earlier on blend in their more controversial side, just by association.

Subject: Re: From respectable to trashy

Written By: robby76 on 04/28/08 at 8:16 pm

La Toya Jackson - the classic case! However I think she's now gone full circle and is much classier than ever before.

http://www.geocities.com/latoyanorelations/young9.jpg

http://a447.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/m_bfa55d2eb39696a71aec2cf4ac612a6e.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 9:01 pm

Madonna too... I mean she was pop in the beginning but then got edgy with all the sex stuff...now she's a mom... though I have no idea how the new album is.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 9:21 pm

^ Yeah, she was like an "edgier but innocent pop artist" around 1984 and probably peaked in controversy with the "Like a Prayer" video and Erotica, maybe even a little bit up to being in the Evita movie, before settling down in the late '90s to a point.

Written By: woops on 04/28/08 at 9:28 pm

"Beavis & Butt-Head" & "The Simpsons" were considered controversial, but now are fondly remembered. Much like Looney Tunes since people tend to forget that they originally weren't intended for children.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 10:35 pm

Well, Rosie O'Donnell springs to mind.  She was beloved and dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when she had her talk show.  Now?  Not so much...

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 10:39 pm

Well, Rosie O'Donnell springs to mind.  She was beloved and dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when she had her talk show.  Now?  Not so much...

I like Rosie O'Donnell... I think she was called the Queen of Nice and then all these parents who didn't know her stand up took kids to her shows...only to learn Ro curses more than I do!  ;D 

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 10:54 pm

I like Rosie O'Donnell... I think she was called the Queen of Nice and then all these parents who didn't know her stand up took kids to her shows...only to learn Ro curses more than I do!  ;D 

I agree that many people weren't hip to her act.  I don't actually dislike her, I just don't wanna hear her sometimes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 10:59 pm

She used to host a standup comedy special on VH1 (at least when I watched it in 1991 to '93) called Standup Spotlight - does anyone remember/know about that? I thought she was mildly obnoxious but funny then. ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/28/08 at 11:03 pm

lol Taking Jerry Springer as an example, he is a chameleon.  He started out respectable as a city council member of Cincinnati.  Got caught writing a check to a prostitute.  Resigned his post.  Came clean about it at a press conference, got his council seat back and became mayor of Cincinnati for a year.  He then became a news anchor at the lowest-rated news channel in Cincinnati.  But two years later turned it around and became the number 1 anchor in the city.  Then his talk show and you all know about that.  Then dancing with the stars which I thought was kinda sweet.

So that man has had more ups and downs with his career then...uh...I don't know what...(insert random comparable chameleon here).  ;D

I think alot of child stars have this affliction (going from respectable to trashy) because they want to leave their "childlike" persona behind for a more "adult" theme.  It often backfires on them. 

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 11:12 pm

I think alot of child stars have this affliction (going from respectable to trashy) because they want to leave their "childlike" persona behind for a more "adult" theme.  It often backfires on them. 

Yeah How about Drew Barrymore....innocent child star to drunk party animal at 14 to really nice girl!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 11:20 pm

lol Taking Jerry Springer as an example, he is a chameleon.  He started out respectable as a city council member of Cincinnati.  Got caught writing a check to a prostitute.  Resigned his post.  Came clean about it at a press conference, got his council seat back and became mayor of Cincinnati for a year.  He then became a news anchor at the lowest-rated news channel in Cincinnati.  But two years later turned it around and became the number 1 anchor in the city.  Then his talk show and you all know about that.  Then dancing with the stars which I thought was kinda sweet.

So that man has had more ups and downs with his career then...uh...I don't know what...(insert random comparable chameleon here).   ;D

Karma to knowing about the young Jerry, lol. :)

Seriously, lots of people misperceive that story. Sure, he messed up by visiting a prostitute and I'm sure he himself would admit that, but he did as honorable of a thing as possible afterwards. Especially coming clean BEFORE the press could do it first and resigned from the Council to sort it out. His wife at the time, even stuck by him and supported him.

I really like the poitical Jerry from what I know secondhand. He seemed like a youthful, idealistic geeky but articulate guy who really wanted to make a difference in the city and help people out. He was entertaining but serious too (reminds me of myself lol). He even brought rock concerts to Cincinnati in the late '70s and apparently was a fan of bands like The Eagles.

I've seen a few biographies of him (books and on TV) and read quite a bit about him online, and I really respect alot of the things he's done. It almost is heartbreaking that he worked so hard to make a positive difference with all this stuff and the one thing he ended up getting known for is a show with people throwing chairs and cheating with their cousin's sisters. ;D

In the beginning from about 1991-94, it was a serious show that he got on the merits of being a newscaster and commentator, so it's like there's no trace of its original purpose anymore. Especially since the early '00s when it's ALL trailer park stuff now.

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 11:30 pm

Ive seen Jerry on some stuff outside of his show and he is so good natured about it and what the show is that I actually like him now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/28/08 at 11:36 pm

Ive seen Jerry on some stuff outside of his show and he is so good natured about it and what the show is that I actually like him now.

Like Dancing With the Stars and America's Got Talent? Yeah, I heard that DWTS really changed some people's minds on him. That's the only time recently, that he's been publicised for his softer, more serious side. He wanted to learn to dance for his daughter's wedding (she's handicapped, although to what extent I'm not sure...she did make alot of progress though).

Springer is really a good guy, and not to sound cocky, but whenever I've recommended his autobiography to anyone, they've usually changed their minds on him. He's had a really interesting life too, especially politically.

Written By: snozberries on 04/28/08 at 11:46 pm

Like Dancing With the Stars and America's Got Talent? Yeah, I heard that DWTS really changed some people's minds on him. That's the only time recently, that he's been publicised for his softer, more serious side. He wanted to learn to dance for his daughter's wedding (she's handicapped, although to what extent I'm not sure...she did make alot of progress though).

Springer is really a good guy, and not to sound cocky, but whenever I've recommended his autobiography to anyone, they've usually changed their minds on him. He's had a really interesting life too, especially politically.

I don't watch Dancing w the Stars... I saw America's got Talent and that NBC improv show.. I think it was the improv show (Thank God You're Here?)  that did for me. He was kind of funny on that.  Oh and on the View...he was pretty candid about having no illusions what his show was about. He started that Springer Moment or whatever his editorial was called in an attempt to add a POV on the topic but realized that with the direction the show was going it was futile... I don't know he may still have that editorial but its not what he originally intended it to be.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 8:35 pm

Springer is smart and a businessman.  He knew that controversy sells and changed his show from serious to trashy in the early 90's to bring in ratings and $$$$.  Before the trailer trash, he had a serious talk show.

Off the set of his show, he is different.  I saw some interviews and he seems witty and intelligent.  Oh, and he is British!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Springer

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/08 at 8:40 pm

Janet Jackson.  She went from the sister of the Jackson 5 to child actress to aspiring young actress to pop singer to super stardom as a top female vocalist.  Then the superbowl incident ruined it all

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/08 at 8:47 pm

Janet Jackson.  She went from the sister of the Jackson 5 to child actress to aspiring young actress to pop singer to super stardom as a top female vocalist.  Then the superbowl incident ruined it all

I still like Janet!

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/08 at 8:48 pm

I still like Janet!

I do too, but she's not the same as she used to be.  I miss her 'Control' and 'Rhythm Nation' days

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/08 at 8:51 pm

I do too, but she's not the same as she used to be.  I miss her 'Control' and 'Rhythm Nation' days

this is true.  I just feel like she got a bum rap on that wardrobe malfunction thing... no one ever thinks about it when they think of Justin Timaberlake

Written By: Brian06 on 04/29/08 at 9:26 pm

I still like Janet!

Yeah me too, Discipline is a pretty good album sadly nobody cares.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 10:16 pm

Me too. I even took it a little further and enjoyed her albums Janet (1993) and Velvet Rope (1997).  In those days, R&B was more popular. 

I guess she just faded away and disappeared which is why she had to use the controversy card with the fake wardrobe malfunction.

Written By: snozberries on 04/29/08 at 10:31 pm

Me too. I even took it a little further and enjoyed her albums Janet (1993) and Velvet Rope (1997).  In those days, R&B was more popular. 

I guess she just faded away and disappeared which is why she had to use the controversy card with the fake wardrobe malfunction.

call me gullible I still think it was accidental

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 11:01 pm

Her new album was being released the next day.  Think about that for a minute. 

Just like this whole Miley Cyrus thing.  She probably has an album coming out.  Who knows.

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/08 at 3:24 am

I actually carried my Janet purchases on until All For You - but that was really pushing it. I'll agree with Velvet Rope being her last fully decent album.

And yes the Superbowl thing was a most heinous publicity scam. Visions of the nipple clamp still give me nightmares.

Written By: woops on 04/30/08 at 3:46 pm

Like Janet's material from "Control" to 1994's "Janet".

"Feedback" is a horrible song and tired of seeing older artists trying to be "hip". A few "hip" sounding songs are OK, but trying to look young and act younger is another thing...

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/08 at 8:32 pm

Bob Saget is that way, too. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/08 at 8:45 pm

Bob Saget is that way, too. ;D

lol I saw that E! True Hollywood Story about Full House where he was always getting the evil for his inappropriate jokes and comments.  ;D

Written By: tv on 05/03/08 at 6:58 pm

Like Janet's material from "Control" to 1994's "Janet".

"Feedback" is a horrible song and tired of seeing older artists trying to be "hip". A few "hip" sounding songs are OK, but trying to look young and act younger is another thing...

Yeah I agree with you about she's trying to be "hip" with "Feedback" and its not working for her. I do like Janet's stuff from the 80's and 90's but her 00's works are not as good. I did like her singles off her "Velvet Rope" album though like "Together Again", and "I Get So Lonely".

Written By: woops on 12/20/08 at 1:26 pm

More the other way around, but in the 1990's Bon Jovi were in the butt of jokes and pegged with the '80's hair metal scene (even when their sound have matured), but now are respected or kissed upon.

Written By: tv on 12/20/08 at 7:09 pm

Harvey Levin-is an attorney and works on Judge Marylin Millian's court show now he's on TMZ of all things. Harvey lost some credit there with me on the TMZ thing. He seems like a smart attorney though.

OJ Simpson-good football player but we all know what happen later on in his life.

Check for new replies or respond here...